PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Chiefs 2007 Draft

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Now that it's over, what are your thoughts on the seven picks we made?

1. Dwayne Bowe- WR
2. Turk McBride- DE/DT
3. Tank Tyler- DT
5a. Kolby Smith- RB
5b. Justin Medlock- PK
6. Herbert Taylor- OT
7. Michael Allan- TE

CupidStunt
04-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Solid first day, abortion of a second day. Probably a C overall.

recxjake
04-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Great draft IMO....

Great WR
Starting DT's
Kicking competition
Good overall RB
Upside Tackle and TE

No reaching, great value, very pleased

unothadeal
04-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Solid first day, abortion of a second day. Probably a C overall.
Exactly.

Chieftain58
04-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Who knows ask me in a year

sedated
04-29-2007, 03:18 PM
incomplete.

ask again when their first contracts are over

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 03:18 PM
both days were very solid

el borracho
04-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Just for reference:

1. Dwayne Bowe- WR
2. Turk McBride- DE/DT
3. Tank Tyler- DT
4. No 4th
5a. Kolby Smith- RB
5b. Justin Medlock- PK
6. Herbert Taylor- OT
7. Michael Allan- TE

*edit: I would say that 5 of the 7 picks are a lock to make the roster and the other two have a good chance of sticking, as well. Now that Wilson is listed as a FB on the depth chart we needed a 3rd TE and if Taylor shows anything it shouldn't be hard to let go of one of our garbage holdover Olinemen.

BigRock
04-29-2007, 03:20 PM
I say B. I think the best part is that the majority of the picks could see a lot of time right away. Bowe could probably start, so could Tank, Herm pretty much said Terk will replace Allen, and then Medlock. Putting aside the 6 and 7 picks and probably the RB, that's 4 of the 7 who can play right away.

Bwana
04-29-2007, 03:21 PM
C: We had some good picks and some WTF picks IMHO. It averages out to a C.

DaKCMan AP
Round 1 - B
Rounds 2-5 - A
Rounds 6-7 - D

That's a 3.0 - solid B

Mr. Flopnuts
I'm not a pessimistic Chiefs fan. I thought this draft was horrible though. I preferred Meachem to Bowe. I didn't like the Turk pick at all. I thought we should've grabbed that CB out of California or addressed our offensive line. Tank Tyler is the one pick that I'm thrilled about. Hopefully he'll be the manbeast I think he will. I was ok with the kicker in the 5th. Otherwise we drafted 1 offensive lineman I've never heard of, and didn't address our secondary at all. I hope they know something about Sapp that we don't know. I also hope I'm dead wrong and it was the Chiefs best draft in my lifetime. JMO.

ct
04-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Great draft IMO....

Great WR
Starting DT's
Kicking competition
Good overall RB
Upside Tackle and TE

No reaching, great value, very pleased

Ditto, but not convincing Cleveland to trade with us instead of Dallas, and not getting good picks for Green, drops from A to B.

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Ditto, but not convincing Cleveland to trade with us instead of Dallas, and not getting good picks for Green, drops from A to B.

Dallas was the pick before, if I'm Cleveland I'm going to them.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2007, 03:38 PM
5 "D's".....

ROFL ROFL

jAZ
04-29-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm going with C as I have no idea about any of these guys... and there's no "I don't know but I MUST vote anyway" option.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 03:42 PM
5 "D's".....

ROFL ROFL

You're seeing the fresh shit of today and I'm guessing those last 3 picks didn't go over very well.

CoMoChief
04-29-2007, 03:45 PM
I really hate the McBride pick and we didn't really address the Oline in the first day liked I kinda hoped. I was a huge Quentin Moses fan. Oh well. not a bad draft by any means.

These last 2 seasons draft have been leaps and bounds better than anything DV ever drafted.

el borracho
At this point I would rate it a high C/ low B (I voted B). We got some guys that should make the roster and help the team, 3 or 4 of which have the potential to be something special.

Adept Havelock
I'll say B- or C +, based on little more than a gut feeling.

Hendrix68
04-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Hideous draft.

We took a freaking KICKER?

Why not get a guard.. You should be able to at least get a warm body to block for LJ in the 5th round. Is Carl not aware Shields retired?

I'll be shocked if more than two of these stiffs are anywhere in the league in three years.

John_Wayne
This draft was terrible. I expected more from Herm. It was an OK first round pick. All of the other picks are terrible. Also, we needed more O-line help. Also, they drafted no CBs! This is one of the worst drafts I've seen for several years. I can almost nothing good about it.

blueballs
Incomplete =no Logical threads
on which to judge by

beer bacon
Hideous draft.

Why not get a guard.. You should be able to at least get a warm body to block for LJ in the 5th round. Is Carl not aware Shields retired?

I'll be shocked if more than two of these stiffs are anywhere in the league in three years.

Stop posting.

el borracho
04-29-2007, 03:47 PM
This draft was terrible. I expected more from Herm. It was an OK first round pick. All of the other picks are terrible. Also, we needed more O-line help. Also, they drafted no CBs! This is one of the worst drafts I've seen for several years. I can almost nothing good about it.
You didn't like Tyler in the 3rd? Who did you want?

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2007, 03:48 PM
I like.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Hideous draft.

This draft was terrible. I expected more from Herm. It was an OK first round pick. All of the other picks are terrible. Also, we needed more O-line help. Also, they drafted no CBs! This is one of the worst drafts I've seen for several years. I can almost nothing good about it.DAMNIT CARL, WHY YOU DID NOT CONJURE A STUD O-LINEMAN OUT OF THIN AIR

I HATES DEFENSIVE LINES UPGRADING

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2007, 03:49 PM
5 "D's".....

ROFL ROFL

I screwed up and said D when I meant C so if that helps by all means......I really wasn't thrilled about this draft but am hoping I'm wrong. It wasn't terrible. It's just meh, for me anyway.

Gravedigger
04-29-2007, 03:50 PM
I like the first day picks but the second day seems like we were filling holes for possible trades in the future. A running back that will possibly replace LJ if we get a trade off or the contract dispute next year sees him gone. A tight end that has amazing height and good hands to maybe replace Dunn and/or Tony G if injury happens. I was more for getting Oline or a CB for these. In the end they give up more depth in positions with youth but I like the fact that Trent Green will be our QB next year I'd feel better with Brodie getting one more sit down year to learn than to throw away any worth that Trent had.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2007, 03:50 PM
You didn't like Tyler in the 3rd? Who did you want?

I think that will be the defining moment of this draft for us. I hope I'm wrong and Bowe is better than Meachem.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 03:52 PM
I think that will be the defining moment of this draft for us. I hope I'm wrong and Bowe is better than Meachem.

Those 2 are personal preference. Bowe is the bigger more physical guy. Meacham is a faster more finessee guy it's just preference.

SBK
04-29-2007, 03:53 PM
I like this draft a lot. I think the Turk pick is going to be good, he's going to be very disrupting--perhaps we'll have some push from the DL.......

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2007, 03:55 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=68499&stc=1

Hendrix68
04-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Stop posting.

Can't handle a fair observation of this awful draft?

You must be in the Kool-Aid line.

A slow wide... a criminal in the third rd.

The second round pick was projected in most ratings to be 90th best in the draft. We took Turk at 54.

A KICKER... in the fifth round (with past DUI troubles)...

(good Lord! If your KICKER isn't safe from negative headlines.....)

wow.

But no help with the offensive line.

no help with the secondary that's older than my grandmother.

An absolute abortion of a draft.

wazu
04-29-2007, 03:57 PM
5 "D's".....

ROFL ROFL

Yep. I couldn't see giving an "F" considering how well they hit in Round 3. Outside of that pick there is plenty to be disappointed in. What probably disgusted me the most was taking a kicker that wasn't the best just because he is from UCLA. Carl is a ****ing embarrassment.

the Talking Can
04-29-2007, 03:57 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=68499&stc=1

he's getting ready to karate chop Van Dam's face off...

Fairplay
04-29-2007, 03:58 PM
I preferred Meachem to Bowe.

You can't always get what you want.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2007, 03:59 PM
A slow wide... a criminal in the third rd.http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=68499&stc=1

Mecca
04-29-2007, 03:59 PM

The second round pick was projected in most ratings to be 90th best in the draft. We took Turk at 54.

wow.

You should be a Titans fan that's a real abortion of a draft...

Cochise
04-29-2007, 04:00 PM
it's terrible that we took a WR around where he was graded, 2 players at our deepest position of need, added a tackle and someone to help our high-miles running back. It's also terrible that we might displace a marginal kicker and add a body on the offensive line. Just terrible.

Ultra Peanut
Yep. I couldn't see giving an "F" considering how well they hit in Round 3. Outside of that pick there is plenty to be disappointed in. What probably disgusted me the most was taking a kicker that wasn't the best just because he is from UCLA. Carl is a ****ing embarrassment.http://imgred.com/http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/26/261911.jpg

OH HAI I UPGRADED YOUR SECONDARY

siberian khatru
B to B+.

We have too many needs to fill in just one draft. This is a good start, IMO. Next year, let's get some OLs and DBs. And a LB.

the Talking Can
B+ day 1
C- day 2...mostly because I know nothing about any of these guys, and I would have liked a cb in the 5th

But we got the first day right, imho. We drafted for value. We drafted from big schools. We didn't reach.

I'm stoked about Bowe. I don't think we've had a WR with his size and skill set.

Buehler445
04-29-2007, 04:01 PM
This is a tough one to gauge. From what you guys have posted, I think most of the picks are good, but we needed more. People will bash on drafting a PK, but Tynes drives me crazy. The D-line needed the help, as did WR and a backup RB, but we needed more picks. I wish we could have dumped Wesley, and gotten at least 2 picks for Green. Hopefully we can continue to fill needs through undrafted free agents.

el borracho
04-29-2007, 04:01 PM
There were two defining moments of this draft- Cleveland ****ing us twice in the first two rounds! I didn't necessarily want Quinn but we could have had an outstanding draft if we were able to drop a few slots and still take one of the top wideouts and pick up some extra picks either this year or next or both. Also think that Wright would have been a better pick than McBride in the 2nd but I guess we won't know for a few years.

wazu
04-29-2007, 04:04 PM
People will bash on drafting a PK, but Tynes drives me crazy.

I wanted a kicker, just not the one we got. We should have gotten this one:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sc...asoncrosby.html

Mason Crosby
Height: 6-11/4 | Weight: 212 | 40-Time: 5.25

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has an outstanding leg...Can hit from well beyond 50 yards and has a career long of 60...Accurate and rarely misses the ones he's supposed to make...Phenomenal on kickoffs and creates a lot of touchbacks...Clutch and doesn't let pressure affect him...Has a lot of experience...Intangibles are excellent...Can also punt in a pinch.

Weaknesses:
Kicked in high altitude with thin air but also hit a lot of long kicks at sea level as well...Will have some kicks blocked here and there...Has room to smooth out and refine his technique...Is so good coaches tend to let him try unrealistic attempts.

Notes:
Father, Jim, was a fullback at Texas-El Paso in the mid-1970s...Was the runner-up for the Lou Groza Award in 2005 as a junior...Superstitious and has to hit at least 60 golf balls at a driving range two days before a game...Best kicking prospect to come along since Mike Nugent and might be the highest chosen since Sebastian Janikowski back in 2000...A rare prospect who is a true weapon on special teams.

Extra Point
04-29-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm not a pessimistic Chiefs fan. I thought this draft was horrible though. I preferred Meachem to Bowe. I didn't like the Turk pick at all. I thought we should've grabbed that CB out of California or addressed our offensive line. Tank Tyler is the one pick that I'm thrilled about. Hopefully he'll be the manbeast I think he will. I was ok with the kicker in the 5th. Otherwise we drafted 1 offensive lineman I've never heard of, and didn't address our secondary at all. I hope they know something about Sapp that we don't know. I also hope I'm dead wrong and it was the Chiefs best draft in my lifetime. JMO.

Nailed it!

Reaper16
04-29-2007, 04:07 PM
B, maybe a B+. Depends if Turk is as-advertised. I like it.

cdcox
04-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Here are the weights each of KC's picks should be given, according to the Draft Value Chart.

1. Dwayne Bowe- WR 55.3%
2. Turk McBride- DE/DT 26.2%
3. Tank Tyler- DT 13.1%
4. No 4th
5a. Kolby Smith- RB 2.3%
5b. Justin Medlock- PK 2.0%
6. Herbert Taylor- OT 0.9%
7. Michael Allan- TE 0.1%

So the second day of the draft should only affect your evaluation by at most half a letter grade, since it is weighted only about 5% of the total draft value.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2007, 04:08 PM
You should be a Titans fan that's a real abortion of a draft...

Or Dolphins. That was god-awful.

htismaqe
04-29-2007, 04:11 PM
I wanted a kicker, just not the one we got. We should have gotten this one:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sc...asoncrosby.html

Mason Crosby
Height: 6-11/4 | Weight: 212 | 40-Time: 5.25

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has an outstanding leg...Can hit from well beyond 50 yards and has a career long of 60...Accurate and rarely misses the ones he's supposed to make...Phenomenal on kickoffs and creates a lot of touchbacks...Clutch and doesn't let pressure affect him...Has a lot of experience...Intangibles are excellent...Can also punt in a pinch.

Weaknesses:
Kicked in high altitude with thin air but also hit a lot of long kicks at sea level as well...Will have some kicks blocked here and there...Has room to smooth out and refine his technique...Is so good coaches tend to let him try unrealistic attempts.

Notes:
Father, Jim, was a fullback at Texas-El Paso in the mid-1970s...Was the runner-up for the Lou Groza Award in 2005 as a junior...Superstitious and has to hit at least 60 golf balls at a driving range two days before a game...Best kicking prospect to come along since Mike Nugent and might be the highest chosen since Sebastian Janikowski back in 2000...A rare prospect who is a true weapon on special teams.

Crosby has been discussed ad nauseum. The word on one of the networks was that he was having trouble elevating the ball to scouts. They're worried he's gonna have a lot of blocked kicks. When he did get the ball up, it didn't go through the uprights. They think all of those long kicks he attempted in college screwed up his mechanics.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2007, 04:18 PM
There were two defining moments of this draft- Cleveland ****ing us twice in the first two rounds! I didn't necessarily want Quinn but we could have had an outstanding draft if we were able to drop a few slots and still take one of the top wideouts and pick up some extra picks either this year or next or both. Also think that Wright would have been a better pick than McBride in the 2nd but I guess we won't know for a few years.

I still think that CB out of California (I can't remember his name) would've been a great pick there. That's who I thought Cleveland was gunning for when they traded. Had we made that pick, I would be much, much happier with how the 1st day of this draft panned out.

the Talking Can
04-29-2007, 04:29 PM
our lack of a 4 is screwing up people's grades too...we would have gotten a recognizable player in the fourth, likely a CB/OL....but we can't make picks we don't have

Gravedigger
04-29-2007, 04:29 PM

wow.

Your review of the draft is so amazing you should be a columnist for the Enquirer or something. These most ratings that you talk about don't go much farther than Todd Mcshay and Mel Kiper or whatever lame source you get your unreliable news from. Oh no the kicker we took got into a DUI ya know there are alot of college kids who do this thing called "drinking" and almost all of those kids are usually good enough to drive themselves home. Some are unlucky and get a prick cop that pulls em over and pulls the trigger on a breathalizer especially in L.A. You don't know the extent or conditions of the arrest so your points are invalid. IMO your comparing him to Jared Allen, who when we drafted him had a good record with the law and now we see what's up. In case you werent paying attention we got a huge versatile linemen in the sixth round for our Oline help. We don't need help in our secondary in fact every Chiefs fan said bullshit to drafting a CB in the first round when the first mocks came out having us taking Chris Houston which slipped till mid second I might add. It's not that we can't take your type of honesty it's just that your honesty is an ignorant distortion of the truth.

luv
04-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Now that it's over, what are your thoughts on the seven picks we made?

1. Dwayne Bowe- WR
2. Turk McBride- DE/DT
3. Tank Tyler- DT
5a. Kolby Smith- RB
5b. Justin Medlock- PK
6. Herbert Taylor- OT
7. Michael Allan- TE
I didn't think we needed a kicker this year. I would have like to have seen a CB or an OG thrown in there.

tonyetony
04-29-2007, 04:36 PM
1. Dwayne Bowe- WR -----Starter
2. Turk McBride- DE/DT----Starter (at least the first 4 games)
3. Tank Tyler- DT-----Will see the field definite UPGRADE from Sims
4. No 4th------------Miami will regret this
5a. Kolby Smith- RB-----Closest to a priest we'll see this year
5b. Justin Medlock- PK-----Starter, good luck Tynes
6. Herbert Taylor- OT------Brian Waters needs to get to know this guy
7. Michael Allan- TE--------Who knows with Tony G mentoring him?

I'll give us a solid B. If Herb Taylor ends up being a Jarad Allen type pick this will be a draft to remember.

orange
04-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Your review of the draft is so amazing you should be a columnist for the Enquirer or something. These most ratings that you talk about don't go much farther than Todd Mcshay and Mel Kiper or whatever lame source you get your unreliable news from. Oh no the kicker we took got into a DUI ya know there are alot of college kids who do this thing called "drinking" and almost all of those kids are usually good enough to drive themselves home. Some are unlucky and get a prick cop that pulls em over and pulls the trigger on a breathalizer especially in L.A. You don't know the extent or conditions of the arrest so your points are invalid. IMO your comparing him to Jared Allen, who when we drafted him had a good record with the law and now we see what's up. In case you werent paying attention we got a huge versatile linemen in the sixth round for our Oline help. We don't need help in our secondary in fact every Chiefs fan said bullshit to drafting a CB in the first round when the first mocks came out having us taking Chris Houston which slipped till mid second I might add. It's not that we can't take your type of honesty it's just that your honesty is an ignorant distortion of the truth.

He hit a pole, rolled his car breaking his passenger's neck, and was found and arrested a mile and half from the scene. There. Now you know.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2007, 04:44 PM
He hit a pole, rolled his car breaking his passenger's neck, and was found and arrested a mile and half from the scene. There. Now you know.

Uh, I think a further explantion is in order.....

He was found a mile and a half from the scene.

FACT.

The rest of the story:

He was going for help, and the media turned it into a hit-and-run type incident.

banyon
04-29-2007, 04:44 PM

:eek: Yeeps.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2007, 04:46 PM
:eek: Yeeps.

See the post above yours......

Yes, it was a bad situation, but the media turned it into something it wasn't....

banyon
04-29-2007, 04:47 PM
See the post above yours......

Yes, it was a bad situation, but the media turned it into something it wasn't....

yup, I posted that before i refreshed and saw your post. Thanks for clarifying. Still not great though.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2007, 04:50 PM
yup, I posted that before i refreshed and saw your post. Thanks for clarifying. Still not great though.

I agree. Not defending the decision the drive drunk, but wanted to make sure people knew the whole story......

el borracho
04-29-2007, 04:52 PM
I still think that CB out of California (I can't remember his name) would've been a great pick there. That's who I thought Cleveland was gunning for when they traded. Had we made that pick, I would be much, much happier with how the 1st day of this draft panned out.
Hughes? Well, I actually somewhat agree with you. That could have been a better pick. Then again, Hughes didn't go until the end of round 3 (4 or 5 CBs were drafted between our 2nd round pick and the spot where Hughes went) so maybe there is something we don't know about him, as well.

Count Zarth
04-29-2007, 04:54 PM
At first glance this draft seems slightly inferior to the one a year ago, but there's no way to know at the moment. I'll give it a B for now but you can't properly grade it until a year or two down the road.

trndobrd
04-29-2007, 04:56 PM
I'll give this a "B". Most of my grade is based on first day picks as my expectations are pretty low for all second day picks.

We filled some obvious needs with players appropriate to their draft position. At least two of the 2nd day picks should help immediately on special teams.

1. Dwayne Bowe- WR - Exellent player who will quickly fit into Herm's system and become the #1 WR
2. Turk McBride- DE/DT - High energy guy on the D-Line. Curious to see if Gun uses him as a DE or puts some weight on him as a DT. Could be a nice bookend with Hali.
3. Tank Tyler- DT - Could be one of the biggest steals of this year's draft.

5a. Kolby Smith- RB - Nice pick up. Should contribute immeditately on special teams, he can catch and used to play FB). Welcome to the Arena League Dee.
5b. Justin Medlock- PK - Good value. Along with Colquitt should be able to solidify the kicking game for years.
6. Herbert Taylor- OT - Flexible and might be able to help the OL, but probably not a step up from anyone we already have.
7. Michael Allan- TE - I guess TG isn't getting any younger but probably not the long term answer to a future TG retirement.

trndobrd
04-29-2007, 04:57 PM
At first glance this draft seems slightly inferior to the one a year ago, but there's no way to know at the moment. I'll give it a B for now but you can't properly grade it until a year or two down the road.

Perhaps you would also like to place a wager on the 2004 Superbowl?

LiL stumppy
04-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Draft Sucked. Tank Tyler was the only OK pick and he will probably kill someone by the time the season starts.

alanm
04-29-2007, 04:58 PM

wow.

Older that your grandmother? That'd make you about 3 wouldn't it?

Count Zarth
04-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Draft Sucked. .

Jehovah sucks.

RedThat
04-29-2007, 05:07 PM
I am not one to judge or grade whatever you call it? At least not right away.

With these kinda things like the draft, it's a wait and see sorta thing.
I'll give my judgements on these guys maybe 1 or 2 years from now. Then you can look back and say, yup that guy was good for us or nope, that guy was no good.

I think that is the most logical way of doing it?

But I will say this, and one of the posters on here, I think his name is Rausch? mentioned in another thread, and it made total sense, stuck in my head actually, that the Chiefs addressed their positions of need with the best talent available. That is a great way of putting it.

I think a lot of the picks we made made a lot of sense.

*We needed a WR, and we drafted one.
*We needed a DT, and we got 2 of them

*Im really excited to see what Kolby Smith can do! That pick made a lot of sense to me. Because I think it is too risky to rely on an injury proned Michael Bennett to share the load with LJ. And imo, Priest is done.

*LOVE the fact we drafted a kicker. As crazy as it sounds, I LOVE it! I am not a big fan of Tynes. I think he is too inconsistent to be a starting kicker. I really like this draft pick because it is like a wake up call to him that his job is not guaranteed, and nothing wrong with creating competition in camp for the PK position. I love that idea.

*I think a lot of these picks made sense. We just have to wait and see, but also hope that these guys are going to good.

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Draft Sucked. Tank Tyler was the only OK pick and he will probably kill someone by the time the season starts.

We didnt reach for OL so you are crying about our draft. Imagine that.

Rain Man
04-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Jehovah sucks.

And he did it in front of witnesses. Bad move.

LiL stumppy
04-29-2007, 05:15 PM
We didnt reach for OL so you are crying about our draft. Imagine that.

Nope, I dont like it because we didnt get one in the first two rounds.

LiL stumppy
04-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Jehovah sucks.

Anything coming from a fat queer doesn't offend me.

Rain Man
04-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Taaaaannk.

Aaaaaaaaaa.

We got a good starting receiver (I hope) in Round 1.

We got some kind of hybrid defensive lineman in Round 2 who's probably not big enough to start at DT and won't unseat either of our two starting DEs.

Round 3: Taaaaaaank.

Round 5a: Statistically, it looks like we got a pretty productive running back.

Round 5b: Hard-drinking kicker who might not choke in the playoffs and is tough enough to survive a car wreck.

Round 6: Mean offensive tackle prospect.

Round 7: Strong candidate for that highly valued 4th tight end spot.

I'd give it an A. In a perfect world, we would upgrade 2 WRs, RG, RT, 2 DTs, nickel back, and get a clutch kicker. We accomplished enough of that that I'm happy.

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Nope, I dont like it because we didnt get one in the first two rounds.

None was the best pick at that time, other wise we would have reached.

tk13
04-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Obviously you don't know how it'll turn out down the road, but I'm fairly pleased... especially that we finally tried to address the defensive line instead of building backwards and adding more talent to the back 7. We had to address the defensive line sometime, especially with Allen out, I'm tired of us trying to build a winning defense through cornerbacks. I'm eager to see what Bowe turns into, I think we got a couple guys who are going to help us in the redzone to take pressure off LJ and TG. I was surprised by Medlock but I did like him over Crosby, that whole altitude thing makes me weary. Still several question marks, but filled some holes.

LiL stumppy
04-29-2007, 05:24 PM
None was the best pick at that time, other wise we would have reached.

Um there were some very sold OL available in the 2nd round.

patteeu
04-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Hideous draft.

Because we don't really need a guard that much. Especially not one who is nothing more than a warm body. We've got plenty of those and Carl has been aware of the fact that Will Shields was nearing retirement age for a couple of years now, at least.

Do we have a perennial pro-bowl guy waiting in the wings? Probably not. Were we going to find one in the 5th round? Probably not. We do have 2 or 3 candidates to replace Shields already on the roster though and, personally, I think Will Shields' approaching retirement was at least partly in Carl's mind when he traded for John Welborne a few years ago.

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Um there were some very sold OL available in the 2nd round.

Who?

Direckshun
04-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Individual grades.

1. WR Dwayne Bowe A

This was the smartest possible pick. This guy has all the tools to be All Pro someday.

2. DE/DT Turk McBride C+

I like this guy, but several things make me hesitate: we might play him at both DE and DT, when McBride himself says he'd rather not; he only really produced this past year; we used an awful high pick on him.

3. DT Tank Tyler A

Great pick. Herm is rarely proven wrong on character guys, and Tyler will be a force in the middle for years. Just as good as Bowe.

5a. RB Kolby Smith C-

Disliked this pick, but since it's just a R5 pick, I can't hate it. This pick gives us zero leverage with LJ, and this guy doesn't seem to have the numbers nor the specialty skills to be anything more than third string.

5b. K Justin Medlock A-

Might have been a bit early to pick him, but given the extreme importance of FGs in this conservative, possession-oriented offense, and given Tynes' unreliability, Medlock is a brilliant choice. The last time the Chiefs drafted a kicker/punter, it turned out incredibly well.

6. OT Herbert Taylor C+

Am not impressed with him but it's just a R6, and depth at OT will be critical this year.

7. TE Michael Allan C

Am not impressed with him but it's just a R7, but he couldn't have a better mentor in the league.

Sam Hall
04-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Smith might need some time, but I think our first five picks will make a significant contribution this year, especially the first three picks.

GoHuge
04-29-2007, 05:58 PM
I thought it was OK. Only time well tell. That is the only fair way to look at it and make a real decision...good or bad. It's hard to do as a fan, but that's the only way to get an accurate read.

For Christ sake will somebody tell Herm to undo the top button on his shirts. Looks retarded!

eazyb81
04-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Overall I thought we had a fantastic draft. We didn't fill all our needs, but anyone that looked at the situation objectively going into the draft knew it would be almost impossible to do so. We stuck by a BPA approach while also drafting players that made sense for what we're trying to run. Simply put, we are a much better football team now than we were two days ago.

1. WR Dwayne Bowe A

Great pick for our scheme, i'm not sure why there weren't more of us on his bandwagon beforehand. Size, speed, strength, great blocker - he has it all. I compared him to Anquan Boldin yesterday and i'm sticking by it, this guy is going to be physical with DBs and make plays if we can get him the ball.

2. DE/DT Turk McBride B

It sounds like we are leaning towards plugging McBride in at DE, but we will see how it unfolds. Personally, I think he would be a great fit in an undertackle role in the Cover 2. He reminds me a bit of Montae Reagor, or even a poor man's Tommie Harris. There was a wide variation in how experts viewed him - i've seen him as high as the 5th DT and as low as 17th. His upside is through the roof.

3. DT Tank Tyler A-

Best pick in the draft, as I didn't think Carl had the balls to take a guy like this if he dropped a bit. I give him an A- just because of the character concerns and motor issues, but this kid has everything you look for in a potentially dominant 2-gap DT. You get a guy like this to step up and reach his potential, and it completely transforms a good defense into a great one.

5a. RB Kolby Smith B

I scratched my head when his name was first called, but after thinking about it more it makes a lot of sense. I see some similarities between LJ and Smith, and I think he has a chance to be a reliable backup in our system. Bennett is a nice player but is more of a change of pace guy rather than someone who could carry the load if LJ went down. If needed, I think Smith could hold up for a bit as a starter if LJ got hurt.

5b. K Justin Medlock D

Probably my least favorite pick. I'm not a big fan of taking kickers or punters in the draft, as I think they can have a lot of variability in their performance from year to year. Last year's playoff game notwithstanding, I still had confidence that Tynes could be at least a league average kicker. They must have some confidence in this kid's long-term value, otherwise it will end up being a wasted pick.

6. OT Herbert Taylor C-

Odd pick IMO, he has poor size and seems to be a better fit in a zone blocking scheme. Not sure if he is sticking at tackle or guard, but I think there were better options. Don't have high expectations for him.

7. TE Michael Allan B+

IMO this was a great low-risk/high-reward pick to end the draft. Allan has an amazing size/speed ratio, is an amazing athlete, and seems to have reliable hands. If we use him correctly he could be a huge mismatch problem for NFL secondaries. I would prefer that we have him drop a few pounds and use him in a WR/TE hybrid, similar to how the Saints used Colston, rather than try and force him into a traditional TE role.

ChiefaRoo
04-29-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm going with C as I have no idea about any of these guys... and there's no "I don't know but I MUST vote anyway" option.

Jiz, you're only allowed to post on the DC board because you pee sitting down.

Direckshun
04-29-2007, 06:10 PM
5b. K Justin Medlock D

Probably my least favorite pick. I'm not a big fan of taking kickers or punters in the draft, as I think they can have a lot of variability in their performance from year to year.
1. Has Colquitt been consistent?

2. Are we a better team with or without him?

Mark M
04-29-2007, 06:17 PM
I'll give it a C.

They really needed Oline help and did absolutely nothing to help that.

And the pick of the kicker was ... odd. I realize Tynes isn't the second coming of Jan or anything, but ... really?

MM
~~:shrug:

Chief Faithful
04-29-2007, 06:21 PM
I gave the results a B. I really liked the first day and was ok with the second. The only pick I really didn't like was Herbert Taylor. I think he is more suited to be a Guard than tackle.

Direckshun
04-29-2007, 06:22 PM
The only pick I really didn't like was Herbert Taylor. I think he is more suited to be a Guard than tackle.
Versatility.

eazyb81
04-29-2007, 06:23 PM
1. Has Colquitt been consistent?

Yes, but he seems to be more of an exception than a rule, which is why you rarely see K/P drafted.

2. Are we a better team with or without him?

With him, but we don't know what player we could have had if we hadn't drafted him.

Logical
04-29-2007, 06:31 PM
C+ Outstaninding first pick makes up for a ho hum draft the rest of the way.

ChiTown
04-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Grade the draft?

I'll let you know in a year or so. Until then I give it an I, for Incomplete.

HemiEd
04-29-2007, 06:52 PM
It almost makes me ill giving Herm any credit, buy I give them a solid A. I watched pretty much all of it, I wish they would have had more choices. I am pretty excited about all seven of them.

Chiefnj2
04-29-2007, 07:05 PM
I think KC paid attention to "needs" a little more this year than last year.

1. Bowe. Good solid pick. He was ranked right around where he was picked. I probably would have taken Beason, but I'm not upset in the least.

2. Turk. Horrible. What makes it horrible as opposed to just poor is the talk from Herm about moving him to DE and then back inside, etc. If they wanted a DE there were several good pass rushing DE's available.

3. Tyler. I give it a B. Good value for the third round. I move it down to a "B" because I would have taken Charles Johnson. I'm somewhat annoyed because I think Denver got the best DT on day 2 in Marcus Thomas.

Day 2: Not how I would have drafted, but I'm okay with the HB and TE.

Overall a C.

SithCeNtZ
04-29-2007, 07:15 PM
I loved the first 3 picks, but the two fifth round ones I really don't like.

Tynes isn't the best kicker in the NFL, but he is average. With all of our areas of need, why was upgrading from average to potentially good such a large priority? Can't we get a kicker in almost any draft? Especially when you consider that for our supposedly FG oriented offense, we were lumped in with almost everyone else in the NFL at the 32-28 FG attempts a year avg. Everyone is complaining about other positions where we have guys who are below avg playing and yet we couldn't find an upgrade for them?

Same goes for the backup RB. We have other positions of need and yet we felt the need to make a pretty small upgrade at backup RB. Coming into the draft everyone had RB as a very very low priority and we draft one anyway. The only way this really pays off is if LJ gets hurt and then we are screwed anyway.

Both of these picks are something I would expect someone like the Colts to make. Small upgrades because it is unlikely anyone is going to be a starter over who we have now. We don't have that and I would have liked us to take someone in almost any other area.

CoMoChief
04-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Overall a C

Bowe is a good pick.

McBride is an awful pick, clearly shows that we can never draft in the 2nd round.

We got lucky with Tank Tyler falling into the 3rd round.

I like our 2 5th round picks in Smith and Medlock. Medlock was the best kicker in this draft and Tynes sucks.

Our 6th and 7th round picks suck.

crazycoffey
04-29-2007, 07:32 PM
I liked the draft, give it a B for now, wonder about the kicker, Tynes is ok and we signed another, I guess drafting some competition isn't bad or anything, just curious.

Like the two DT's and Bowe, and like others I thought we'd go more OL, but perhaps we have more talent that's been sitting around the last few years, I'm going to try and trust Solari, I know he's lacking on calling offensive plays and all, but he knows O-linemen, IMO.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2007, 07:38 PM
An interview with Tank's high school coach:

Tank Tyler, Defensive tackle, N.C. State
High school: Fayetteville (N.C.) E.E. Smith ē Coach: Milton Butts

When is the first time you remember thinking this guy had the potential to play professionally someday?: At that level, probably around his junior year. I knew he was something special when I first saw him as a freshman. That's when he got the nickname "Tank." He just looked like a tank. He started at offensive tackle as a freshman and sophomore. He was playing some defense then, but not that much. His junior and senior year he started both ways. He didn't come off the field. That was an amazing thing that he had the stamina to do that at his size. It tells you about his work ethic.

What game sticks out the most in your memory when you look back on his high school career?: He was pretty consistent throughout his career. The thing about him was he made everyone else better. Curtis Crouch, who's at N.C. State now Ė he's a guy you'll be calling me about next year Ė when he first came out Tank's senior year he was very soft. Curtis had never played football before. He wanted to quit. These kids today all they know is air conditioning and Nintendo. They want to quit in that August heat. Tank wouldn't let that boy quit. They both wound up at N.C. State, and one of the coaches told me this year that Curtis was holding his own against Tank. He owes his career to Tank. A lot of our kids do. Ö I didn't really keep records for weightlifting, but he probably has all of them. A lot of coaches when the team is lifting, the coach has to stay on them. We didn't have to do that with Tank around. He saw to it you didn't go in that weight room playing around.

How often do you keep in touch with him?: We talk often. We just had a ceremony in February where we retired his jersey.

When do you think he will get drafted?: You never know about these things. NFL teams do character checks, and I've gotten a call from just about everybody. He doesn't really know where he's going either. He's just done all he can do to prepare himself.

Frazod
04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
I'd say B-. We really should have drafted an offensive lineman higher.

Potentially, this draft could be far better than the past few years, though.

Not that that's saying much. :shake:

Count Zarth
04-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Awesome. Yeah, this guy is SO Ryan Sims. :rolleyes:

penchief
04-29-2007, 08:15 PM
1) Bowe: I wanted Meachem. I think Meachem is a surer bet. He's more polished and he does everything well. On the other hand, Bowe has intangibles that could make him a dominating force. Aside from the speed aspect, he seems like a natural. A much more athletic version of Chris Carter, maybe. All I know is that Gil Brandt drafted Michael Irvin and he told Kuharich in an interview that Bowe is a "carbon copy of Michael Irvin but with better hands."

2) Mcbride: Didn't know anything about him before the draft but what video I've seen and articles I've read since, there is reason to believe he can contribute right away. He looks like a quicker, less powerful version of Hali.

3) Tyler: I don't think there's any doubt that he is going to contribute right away. I think he, along with Mcbride, Allen, and Hali will cause all kinds of havoc for even the best Olines.

5) Smith: If they liked him more than anyone else on the board, he'd better make a good backup. Some of the things I've read is that he can line up at fullback as a either a blocker or ball carrier. Something that we do need.

5) Medlock: All I can say is that if they're taking him while we already have Tynes, they must believe that he can beat Tynes out. Brandt said that Medlock has great form.

6) Taylor: Don't know a thing about him but I'm an optimist.

7) Allan: See above. However, I will add that the entire panel on Sirius were high on him in real time. When the pick was announced they commented that he was someone that all three liked a lot.

We'll just have to wait and see. I think Bowe and Tyler have 'elite status' potential. I think Mcbride and Smith offer a lot of versatility in positions of need. The kicker might end up being an NFL fixture. And the last two picks are probably projects with big upsides. I'd call that impossible to grade. It could be anywhere from an A to an F.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2007, 08:19 PM
I'd call that impossible to grade. It could be anywhere from an A to an F.

So pretty much every teams draft until at least 2 or 3 years down the road.

Zouk
04-29-2007, 08:26 PM
I have a feeling McBride will end up being the best player from this draft.

It's tough to get 270 pound plus DEs that can rush the passer. That's why teams like Denver are settling for guys like Jarvis Moss at 250 even though they are likely to get pushed around in the run game. Getting a guy that can rush the passer and still be big enough to hold up against the run (like Hali and hopefully this guy) is huge. There's just not a lot of those guys out there.

shaneo69
04-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Bowe - A+
I love that they took a playmaker in the 1st round, and it just so happened to be a position of great need for us. Out of Meachem, Jarrett, and Bowe, DB was my favorite. The fact that they resisted the temptation to take a OT from the MAC in the 1st round pushes this grade from an "A" to an "A+".

McBride - D
We drafted another Jimmy Wilkerson in the 2nd round. I don't see how he's ever gonna become a starter.

Tank - C
Should be a starter from Day 1. However, if he has any more run-ins with the law, this could turn into a terrible pick. Between this pick and Denver's pick of Marcus Thomas in the 4th, I think Denver got the better value.

Kolby - D
Frank Moreau, Part Deux. However, if he knocks Big Foot off the roster, his grade increases to a "C". I don't understand why we would take a 4th RB to sit behind LJ, Bennett, and Derrick Ross.

Medlock - D
Four thoughts about this pick...
1) If there is a true competition for the roster spot, is this guy really gonna be better than Tynes?
2) Did we draft the wrong kicker?
3) Carl's ego is too big to pass up a UCLA guy.
4) Did we really need another guy with a drunk-driving history?

Herb Taylor - A
This is where all O-lineman should be drafted. Great college production at a good program, similar to Stallings last year. This guy probably has a chance to be our starting RT this year after Sampson gets hurt again and Terry gets arrested again.

Michael Allen - A or F
We need a young TE. Again, if he knocks Kris Wilson off the roster, he gets an "A". If they try to sneak him onto the practice squad and he leaves, then the grade goes to "F".

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Bowe - A+
I love that they took a playmaker in the 1st round, and it just so happened to be a position of great need for us. Out of Meachem, Jarrett, and Bowe, DB was my favorite. The fact that they resisted the temptation to take a OT from the MAC in the 1st round pushes this grade from an "A" to an "A+".

McBride - D
We drafted another Jimmy Wilkerson in the 2nd round. I don't see how he's ever gonna become a starter.

Tank - C
Should be a starter from Day 1. However, if he has any more run-ins with the law, this could turn into a terrible pick. Between this pick and Denver's pick of Marcus Thomas in the 4th, I think Denver got the better value.

Kolby - D
Frank Moreau, Part Deux. However, if he knocks Big Foot off the roster, his grade increases to a "C". I don't understand why we would take a 4th RB to sit behind LJ, Bennett, and Derrick Ross.

Medlock - D
Four thoughts about this pick...
1) If there is a true competition for the roster spot, is this guy really gonna be better than Tynes?
2) Did we draft the wrong kicker?
3) Carl's ego is too big to pass up a UCLA guy.
4) Did we really need another guy with a drunk-driving history?

Herb Taylor - A
This is where all O-lineman should be drafted. Great college production at a good program, similar to Stallings last year. This guy probably has a chance to be our starting RT this year after Sampson gets hurt again and Terry gets arrested again.

Michael Allen - A or F
We need a young TE. Again, if he knocks Kris Wilson off the roster, he gets an "A". If they try to sneak him onto the practice squad and he leaves, then the grade goes to "F".

Hate to break it you but Kris Wilson plays fullback now.

LiL stumppy
04-29-2007, 08:43 PM
He can still play TE. He was a TE last year and I saw him playing FB. There almost the same posistion.

Count Zarth
04-29-2007, 08:44 PM
He can still play TE. He was a TE last year and I saw him playing FB. There almost the same posistion.

Stick to Kingdom Melodies.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Kolby Smith won't be behind Ross and Bennett is injury prone as ****, they can't give LJ 400 carries again.

The only reason the McBride pick annoys me is if they wanted an end they could have you know just taken Charles Johnson.

boogblaster
04-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Day 1 a B.....Day 2 a C- ......

OnTheWarpath58
04-30-2007, 09:32 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

16 "D's"

htismaqe
04-30-2007, 09:52 AM
I think everyone's draft grades hinge on the 2nd-round pick.

They either love it or hate it.

He has far more potential than Tyler, IMO.

greg63
04-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Gaz should be the new GM

rtmike
04-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Without reading all the replies.

With the Cover 2 we'll be mostly playing we need an interior push to get to the QB so the CB position's not as important IMO. For this I agree with the draft and the resigning of last years starter's and Boone solidifying the D-line.

They must see something with the O-line that I don't.
I would venture to say the reason they picked up a kicker is they don't plan on being close enuf to score a TD so they'll kick a FG and want Medlock's undeniable consistency. Kind of like what Arizona's been doing with their kicker.

Keep it close and hope the D steps up. I forsee lots of close games.

B-

CosmicPal
04-30-2007, 11:25 AM
FINAL GRADE: D

Cosmicís picks (based on who was available and drafted by teams after our pick).

1. (23) DWAYNE BOWE, WR, LSU
The only problem I have with this pick is that we needed OL help so bad that taking a WR here hurts. You can always find gems in the middle rounds for Wideouts. Bowe doesnít have blazing speed to ďscareĒ the defenses and has been known to drop a few too many balls- aka Parker. But, as Kennisonís eventual replacement, I suppose he would be fine.

Cosmicís pick: Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan

2. (54) TURK MCBRIDE, DT, TENNESSEE
A typical King Carl pick right here: A talented player with a lot of upside, but the problem is, as usual, is that heís taken too early here. I donít see him blossoming and instead, heíll just be another rotating player on the line.

Cosmicís pick: Ryan Kalil, C, USC

3. (82) DeMARCUS ďTANKĒ TYLER, DT, N.C. STATE
Every football team should have a guy on their team named ďTankĒ I absolutely love this pick and was praying he would fall to us. Iím not worried about his character issues- heís messed with Krumrie before and wants to play for him. I think heíll be the steal of the draft. Heíll fit in well with Tamba Hali and Jared Allen (if he sticks around).

Cosmicís pick: Tank!

5a. (148) KOLBY SMITH, RB, LOUISVILLE
Another typical King Carl pick here. I hope this kid proves me wrong, but I donít ever anticipate him becoming a starting RB in the NFL. Not to mention, again, we picked someone too high. This is not a ďvalueĒ pick. Good luck with this one, Carl.

Cosmicís pick: C.J. Gaddis, CB, Clemson

5b. (160) JUSTIN MEDLOCK, K, UCLA
Well, canít really say anything about this one, except that a placekicker isnít exactly a glaring need. We have way too many needs in too many areas to be taking a placekicker here. Just another example of taking a player too soon in the draft.

Cosmicís pick: Roy Hall, WR, Ohio State

6. (196) HERBERT TAYLOR, OT, T.C.U.
Good lord, here we go again: Just what we need, another Svitek, another Sampson, another Stallings, etc. Taking another OL with plenty of upside, but will amount to nothing. He will be best suited for a Guard, and Iím keeping my fingers crossed very tightly heíll become the next Brian Waters for us. I wouldnít be upset with this pick had we picked players for ďvalueĒ in the first five rounds. Instead, itís back to the old ďpicking players with plenty of upside and hoping our coaches will pull something out of them that they didnít do in college.Ē

Cosmicís pick: Courtney Taylor, WR, Auburn

7. (231) MICHAEL ALLEN, TE, WHITWORTH
Never heard of him, but I noticed a couple of draft boards had him in the top 10 of the TEís. Considering this was a weak TE class, Iím not sure thatís saying much. I do like his numbers and potential, and this is precisely where you take a chance on someone like this. I expect him to be a valuable contributor to the special teams for nowÖhopefully heíll surprise a lot of people.

Cosmicís pick: Allan Ball, CB, Illinois

Ultra Peanut
04-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Cosmicís pick: Joe Staley, OT, Central MichiganYou are ****ing fired.

Simply Red
04-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Who and where was Rutger's fullback picked? (name escapes me right now) Dude's an animal.

htismaqe
04-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Cosmicís pick: Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan
Cosmicís pick: Ryan Kalil, C, USC
Cosmicís pick: Tank!
Cosmicís pick: C.J. Gaddis, CB, Clemson
Cosmicís pick: Roy Hall, WR, Ohio State
Cosmicís pick: Courtney Taylor, WR, Auburn
Cosmicís pick: Allan Ball, CB, Illinois

Sorry, but this is an AWFUL draft.

You got an OT that probably won't be ready to start, and two CB's plus two WR's that we don't really need because they won't beat out what we already have...

tooge
04-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I give am a C+. I look at it this way. The NFL draft is all about IF's. If all your guys turn out to be probowl steals, then you rocked and if your first day guys, despite what everyone else thought, blow, then your draft sucked. So, If Bow is what most people think, Tank tyler can dominate like most think, and has no off field issues, if Turk can be a significant role player like most think providing quality depth, if the kicker can have the same accuracy in the pro's he had in college, If the RB truly is a versatile Kimble Anders type, and if Herb Taylor puts on a few pounds and develops into a quality RT, hell, this is the best draft in the history of the NFL. My guess, is that three or so of these guys will pan out to be starters or quality backups, and with last years draft and maybe next years draft, you will have a quality yound team in about 2 years.

chiefsfan1963
04-30-2007, 12:36 PM
We have too many needs and having to pick 23rd overall and losing our 4th round pick made it very tough to have a decent draft. That being said we did the best we could with what we were given.

keg in kc
04-30-2007, 12:48 PM
We have too many needs and having to pick 23rd overall and losing our 4th round pick made it very tough to have a decent draft. That being said we did the best we could with what we were given.Holy shit. I agree with you.

KcMizzou
04-30-2007, 12:51 PM
A solid "B".

OnTheWarpath58
04-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Sorry, but this is an AWFUL draft.

You got an OT that probably won't be ready to start, and two CB's plus two WR's that we don't really need because they won't beat out what we already have...

Yep.

That draft has "draft for need instead of value" written all over it.

While I would have liked us to grab a CB at some point, I respect the fact that they stayed true to their board and didn't reach to take one.

If they feel the need to add to the CB depth, there will be plenty of guys released in the upcoming weeks/months to fill in.

CosmicPal
04-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Well, I listened to Bill Kuharich talk about our draft on NFL Sirius about an hour ago while I was driving around.

I liked what he had to say. They asked Bill why the Chiefs didn't pick Staley, and he responded that they all agreed Bowe fit our system better and that his value at the time was higher than Staley's was.

He did add we couldn't help all of our needs via the draft and that sometimes you just have to take the best player available at your spots of need, so they gook Bowe. I agree with that sentiment.

He then said, McBride was a very good pick-up- lots of speed and upside and they plan to use him in place of Jared Allen for the first month of the season, and when Allen gets back- he then adds great depth to the line 'cause he can play anywhere. OK, so now I'm sold on him.

Didn't say much about Tank, but that they were very happy to get him and that he was their highest rated player on the board at the time. They really wanted to go OL here, but that Tank's value was too much to pass up.

They all liked Kolby and felt like he will bring an added dimension to the running game: he can block, catch, and has the speed to get outside. They love his potential and should boost the running game.

And then they all liked the tight-end- felt like he too would bring additional depth to the game. He needs to working on his blocking skills, but that they hope they can teach him a few skills and that they were not worried one bit about him coming from a small school.

He said they were happy, but that sitting around waiting during the 4th round was like receiving a root canal- it was painful to sit and watch all these guys they wanted get picked up. But, all in all, they added depth and that they are now working hard on the undrafted free agents.

So, based on his interview today, I'll upgrade my rating from a D to a B-