PDA

View Full Version : Seems like we finally drafted BAA, rather than position of need...

jAZ
04-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Kudos...

I have no idea whether our draft board was accurate or not, but I think this draft shows that we weren't drafting based on position need as much as in years past.

It might hurt now, but if we invest in this process for a few years, we will have a young, talented roster.

Keep it up Herm!

John_Wayne
04-29-2007, 04:48 PM
This draft sucked!

Ari Chi3fs
04-29-2007, 04:54 PM
This draft sucked!

ROFL

Vaspar
04-29-2007, 05:39 PM
How can you say this draft sucked when these guys have not even played a single game yet. Some of you cry when we don't reach for a position of need, and then you'd be the first to jump all over Carl & Herm for drafting the next big KC bust. I've always believed in drafting the best available athlete, they can only help and contribute to the team. Remember a kid by the name of Larry Johnson? We won't know if this was a great, good, fair, or bad draft for at least the next 2-3 years :shake:

unothadeal
04-29-2007, 05:56 PM
How can you say this draft sucked when these guys have not even played a single game yet. Some of you cry when we don't reach for a position of need, and then you'd be the first to jump all over Carl & Herm for drafting the next big KC bust. I've always believed in drafting the best available athlete, they can only help and contribute to the team. Remember a kid by the name of Larry Johnson? We won't know if this was a great, good, fair, or bad draft for at least the next 2-3 years :shake:
Sarcasm

jAZ
04-29-2007, 07:24 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/04/29/chiefs_hierarchy_sums_up_the_2007_draft/

HERM EDWARDS: “You have some needs you’d like to fill when you go into the draft; there are always certain positions more than others. I think the thing that we’ve done the last two years in putting together our draft is we haven’t cheated the board. We haven’t thrown away a year and a half and sometimes two years of preparation on these players. When certain players were left off the board when we were ready to pick there maybe were some guys on the board who weren’t the value to go down and pick them. We stayed with the value of our board. That’s what you have to do when you understand the process of building and starting with some youth.

“You have to get the best players. You don’t want to reach all over the board and say we need this guy. We’re going to stick to the board and let the board weigh out.

BILL KUHARICH: “...We had some corners targeted at five, six and seven, but once again when it came time for us to pick some of the guys we targeted were gone. That happens some time and you don’t get an opportunity to get one.”

Coogs
04-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Kudos...

I have no idea whether our draft board was accurate or not, but I think this draft shows that we weren't drafting based on position need as much as in years past.

It might hurt now, but if we invest in this process for a few years, we will have a young, talented roster.

Keep it up Herm!

I agree. We had too many holes to fill to begin with. We got good player it seems, and filled a few holes along the way. WR, DT, and K at the very least.

While we may be the least overall talented team in the West right now, another draft may very well take care of putting this team in the position to say we are a player away in the 2009 season.

I like the way this team is being overhauled. And if I could only make one request, it would be that Croyle still be given the chance to be the #1 QB if Trent stays. We really need to find out what we have in Croyle, cause next years draft has Brian Brohm right at the top of the charts. We need to find out if he needs to be on our wish list.... or if another position is going to be a better route to the rebuilding of this team.

Good job Herm. Can't wait to see the guys from this draft... and last years draft start to make their name on the future of the Chiefs.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2007, 09:08 PM
I thought it was a good draft, but we clearly took need players. Of course we need players just about everywhere. LMAO

But I was going to scream if we didn't take a wide receiver with all those studs sitting there.

jAZ
04-30-2007, 09:09 AM
The CB examples that we were drafting first based on the draft board ratings and BAA rather than first based on needed position.

That's important, and I suspect that DV may have been a bit impatient with such a strategy because of his age. It' needed to be a 3 year plan, not a 5 year one.

Building our long term success on reaches in the draft and FA is a recipie for rebuilding down the road.

I'm a huge fan of Trent, Priest, DV, Dante, etc. But I understand why CP wanted Herm He wanted to rebuild and knew it took a HC had time, had an eye for talent, and had the motivational abilities to reach younger players.

Even though I don't agree with his desire to "fix" an offense that worked already, the above does seem to be Herm's forte.

Dave Lane
04-30-2007, 09:55 AM
BAA is the best approach long term. My opinion is we are headed to a down year next year so sign all the UDFA you can get younger and play the rooks for a year to see what you got. Titans did it and now they are on the rebound a couple years after having to strip the cupboard bare.

Dave