PDA

View Full Version : Carl & Griese

Phobia
04-06-2001, 09:58 AM
Wow, Carl is such a genius! He's forcing Denver to break the bank for BG. This will cause Denvers' cap to inflate for YEARS.

Nice Job. :)

Mile High Mania
04-06-2001, 10:01 AM
Nice!

In the back of my mind, I thought you might go here.
It might have been a possibility had Griese ever exchanged words with KC. But, since he never talked to them...

Phobia
04-06-2001, 10:04 AM
LOL! I wasn't planning on it, Brad. But, you left me no alternative.

brownsp
04-06-2001, 10:07 AM
Just the Chiefs actions caused the Broncos to move that much quicker. That means they didn't have time to wheel and deal, because K.C. had plane tickets awaiting him. Shanny knew there was no leverage in the 1st & 3rd if we really wanted him, thus the large contract that's coming his way. I think the LARGEST the Broncos have ever offered for a QB.

It worked, and words were never mentioned.

ThaChop

The http://kcchopper.homestead.com/KCChopper.html
has some info on this.

Mile High Mania
04-06-2001, 10:13 AM
Sure, you could "spin" it that way... but the plane tickets have been reserved and were offered to him days ago. Griese was not interested.

Trust me, if I were you, I would spin it the same way, so I fully expect KC fans to extol the greatness of Carl. However, rather than worrying about jacking the prices up for players on other teams... Carl should focus on filling the holes on his own team b/f all the good FAs are taken.

Phobia
04-06-2001, 10:24 AM
Once again, Brad - we agree.

One can only speculate how KC's interest (feigned or otherwise) may have impacted the expediant re-signing of BG. Only Bowlin & Shanny know and they certainly aren't saying.

DaWolf
04-06-2001, 10:26 AM
C'mon, MHM, reserving plane tickets was for show, how can you have a convincing bluff if you don't reserve plane tickets? :)

Besides, Carl loves screwing with Shanny. Remember a couple of years ago when Shanny said he felt the Carter signing was a good move because he "talked with people inside the Chiefs organization and they all assured me Dale is a terrific guy." I was ROFLMAO at that. What else were we going to say? He's a ticking time bomb, don't sign him? :D

Mile High Mania
04-06-2001, 10:30 AM
If that's the way it happened, then yeah, KC pulled one on Shannahan, but he should have known better.

The Griese deal is totally different. Trust me, everything I've read has said they had his 'cap number' already reserved. Why did it take so long? Who knows?

Although, thanks for taking Greg Robinson! Shanahan was returning the favor...

brownsp
04-06-2001, 10:50 AM
We both know Mile High that Shanny didn't want him on that plane, because if he would have gotten on it, who knows. But it's obvious the Broncos kicked things into high gear for BG over the Chiefs probing. Maybe they were planning on signing him for 46M all along. Honestly, I didn't think we'd get him anyhow. But it was fun just seeing the Chiefs ruffle some feathers. Plus, are you so sure he wouldn't have gotten on that plane?

ThaChop

Mile High Mania
04-06-2001, 10:55 AM
I don't see the ruffled feathers... and from what I've read, Yes, I'm confident he would not have jumped on that plane.

KC expressed interest a week ago... no reply from Griese or his agent. In "sales" we call that a dead prospect.

DaWolf
04-06-2001, 11:03 AM
"Griese's negotiations were the most protracted, but in recent days they have heated up tremendously, leaving little question the Broncos are committed to Griese, and he is committed to them.

With the Chiefs having expressed an interest in visiting with Griese, the Broncos submitted their new, improved offer Thursday to the quarterback's agent, Ralph Cindrich."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0406/1168432.html

Mile High Mania
04-06-2001, 11:15 AM
Geez, if it makes you feel better, take the credit. I don't care. The quote was from a reporter.

It's neither here nor there... Griese is a Bronco and KC still is without a starter. Kudos for driving up the price and helping Griese get the contract done, though.

DaWolf
04-06-2001, 12:53 PM
I'm just havin some fun with ya. Who knows how it really went... :)

Mile High Mania
04-06-2001, 12:55 PM
I know... so am I.