PDA

View Full Version : Okay, so what happens to Trent?

Donger
04-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Perhaps there are other threads dealing with this question. Honestly, I don't care. What happens to Trent Green now? What are the scenarios now that the draft is over (it is, right?)? Can he stay? If so, how? Does he go? If so, how?

Thanks.

NewChief
04-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Some possibilities:

1) Chiefs keep him at existing money. Let him compete in offseason. Keep him in regular season.
2) Chiefs keep him at existing money. Let him compete in offseason. Cut him in June to take half the hit they would take otherwise.
3) Chiefs keep him at existing money. Trent decides to retire instead of stay on the team.
4) Chiefs work a trade of some sort, like to Miami, for next year picks or another player.
5) Chiefs release him. Miami picks him up for free.

You could add: Trent reworks his deal with the Chiefs, but that isn't going to happen, I don't think.

crazycoffey
04-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Some possibilities:

1) Chiefs keep him at existing money. Let him compete in offseason. Keep him in regular season.
2) Chiefs keep him at existing money. Let him compete in offseason. Cut him in June to take half the hit they would take otherwise.
3) Chiefs keep him at existing money. Trent decides to retire instead of stay on the team.
4) Chiefs work a trade of some sort, like to Miami, for next year picks or another player.

You could add: Trent reworks his deal with the Chiefs, but that isn't going to happen, I don't think.

all possible, but I'm guessing #1 (or a restructure with us as an 1b option)
number three or number 4 (along with 4b - another team with a training camp injury)

kcmaxwell
04-29-2007, 08:29 PM
well heck, if the season started tomorrow, he's our starter!! :D

Donger
04-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Some possibilities:

Excellent. That's what I was looking for. Much obliged.

Count Zarth
04-29-2007, 08:31 PM
I wonder what Trent thinks of Croyle.

Fruit Ninja
04-29-2007, 08:32 PM
At this point, i think he will be the starter for the 07 season unless Brodie can beat him out.

NewChief
04-29-2007, 08:33 PM
I wonder what Trent thinks of Croyle.

That he's got a rough year ahead of him. ;)

Mr. Kotter
04-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Some possibilities:

As long as it ain't Choice #5, I'm okay with any of the above....although, I don't even think we should do #2....because then he could still play for Miami.

Whatever happens, he can't play for the Dolphins....after the shit they pulled. UNLESS they give us their 3rd or 4th rounder from NEXT year.

Mr. Kotter
04-29-2007, 08:34 PM
At this point, i think he will be the starter for the 07 season unless Brodie can beat him out.

That's my thought as well.

mdstu
04-29-2007, 08:38 PM
all possible, but I'm guessing #1 (or a restructure with us as an 1b option)
number three or number 4 (along with 4b - another team with a training camp injury)

I don't think there is any way he restructures.

He knows he can stay with us for alot of money or sign with anyone he wants for however much he can get. Resigning with us for less money at this point would land him on the retarded list.

NewChief
04-29-2007, 08:41 PM

He knows he can stay with us for alot of money or sign with anyone he wants for however much he can get. Resigning with us for less money at this point would land him on the retarded list.

Yeah. People don't usually take voluntary paycuts out of the goodness of their hearts when they're toward the end of their careers. I suppose they could get him to June then talk about whether he still wants to be released at that point or would prefer to take a paycut and stay on for the rest of the season. Even if that happened, my guess would be that he'd force a release.

crazycoffey
04-29-2007, 08:46 PM

I concur with your assessment, and am fine with it.

funny thing about integrity, outsiders will think it lands you on a retarded list.

plus what about IR? If he's not acivated for a game, then what about that high salary?

mdstu
04-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah. People don't usually take voluntary paycuts out of the goodness of their hearts when they're toward the end of their careers. I suppose they could get him to June then talk about whether he still wants to be released at that point or would prefer to take a paycut and stay on for the rest of the season. Even if that happened, my guess would be that he'd force a release.

He would be a better man than me. If you held me till my value dropped then asked me to take a cut, I'd probably tell you how I really feel.

Neither side of this deal is at fault. They are both looking out for number one. I was hoping it would work out yesterday with both side getting something.

lazepoo
04-29-2007, 08:52 PM
the whole situation's been pretty wangtastic. I hope we get something for Trent, but I feel like our time to sell has passed. If we get anything at this point, I would be pleased. That said, I would have laughed at the offers I saw from Miami as well.

morphius
04-29-2007, 08:53 PM
I think it is a shame that Miami didn't step up to the plate to get Trent. Of course I think it is a shame that Trent didn't go t a few more places as well, but I don't know if that was lack of interest elsewhere or the fact that he made up his mind to go to Miami.

My hope is that he gets an offer for a next years pick, but I really don't know what Miami is thinking. Of course I don't understand why we screwed with Trent to begin with. The coaches could have split up the passing in the camp's anyway they wanted to giving a chance for the others to win the position without insulting Trent publicly.

mdstu
04-29-2007, 08:54 PM
I concur with your assessment, and am fine with it.

funny thing about integrity, outsiders will think it lands you on a retarded list.

plus what about IR? If he's not acivated for a game, then what about that high salary?

Taking care of yourself and yours doesn't lessen your integrity. I respect the hell out of Trent and no matter what happen with this deal I will feel the same. I just think that if he were gonna take a cut he would worked it out with the team already.

shrek6849
04-29-2007, 08:55 PM
I think Miami stood their ground and didn't buy any of Carl's bullshit. Everyone in the league knows Trent will not be starting opening day for you. I doubt Carl will let Trent rot on the bench. Carl swallows his pride and releases him eventually.

DeepSouth
04-29-2007, 08:58 PM
I heard that Trent is under contract through 2008. The story goes, the Chiefs will start him this year. If he has a good year, someone will step up and trade for him for 2008. If he sucks, he'll lose the starting job before the end of the season and be released.

J Diddy
04-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I think Miami stood their ground and doesn't buy any of Carl's bullshit. Everyone in the league knows Trent will not be starting opening day for you. I doubt Carl will let Trent rot on the bench.

I agree, I think it's one of those moves to show miami just how valuable trent is to us to try and run up the price.

Mr. Kotter
I think Miami stood their ground and doesn't buy any of Carl's bullshit. Everyone in the league knows Trent will not be starting opening day for you. I doubt Carl will let Trent rot on the bench.
Why the hell not? He's the best QB presently on the roster. Croyle could use another year of seasoning--maybe play some later in the year. And with the cap money situation this year.....there should be NO problem paying the guy. He's certainly earned it.

I agree, I think it's one of those moves to show miami just how valuable trent is to us to try and run up the price.

We got nothing to lose by keeping him (except some money--and the dude's really already earned it in my book)--as a mentor, as insurance, as a high priced backup. Screw Miami.

blueballs
Green asked to look elsewhere
he did and it didn't work out
how was he shiton

blueballs
04-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Miami is run by a ship of morons

shrek6849
04-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Your coaches want to give Croyle a chance. Trent basically had one foot in the door at Miami. I just think it would be hard for him to play another year in Kansas City. It's like the organization and the city had already turned the page.

bigbucks24
04-29-2007, 09:04 PM
He would be a better man than me. If you held me till my value dropped then asked me to take a cut, I'd probably tell you how I really feel.

Neither side of this deal is at fault. They are both looking out for number one. I was hoping it would work out yesterday with both side getting something.
I agree with this. Both sides did what they thought was best for their teams. Kudos for both sides sticking to their guns and not letting fan pressure then into doing something they did not believe in.

blueballs
04-29-2007, 09:04 PM
no matter what colors he wears
when Trent steps foot in Arrowhead
he will be cheered -standing ovation would not surprise

Mr. Kotter
04-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Your coaches want to give Croyle a chance. Trent basically had one foot in the door at Miami. I just think it would be hard for him to play another year in Kansas City. It's like the organization and the city had already turned the page.

Bottom-line is....I don't know that Croyle is ready. Unless the dude has been a total workout demon, and put on 15-20 lbs....he could get killed, and that's the last thing anyone who's a Chiefs fan would want.

No one's turned a page; Miami wanted him for nothing....screw them.

mdstu
04-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Green asked to look elsewhere
he did and it didn't work out
how was he shiton

Did somebody say he was?

Logical
04-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Bottom-line is....I don't know that Croyle is ready. Unless the dude has been a total workout demon, and put on 15-20 lbs....he could get killed, and that's the last thing anyone who's a Chiefs fan would want.

I agree with this but I also think it is insane to pay Trent at his contract value.

morphius
I think Miami stood their ground and didn't buy any of Carl's bullshit. Everyone in the league knows Trent will not be starting opening day for you. I doubt Carl will let Trent rot on the bench. Carl swallows his pride and releases him eventually.
But he can hold onto him long enough to make it hard for Miami to use him as a starter as well. He can't train, use the books or anything from Miami without screwing with tampering rules, which may cost them more then a 4th. So sure, Miami holds out, and Miami signs a guy who has 3 weeks to get in sync with all new WR's. Oh, and Trent has shown that it sometimes take him a whole year to get comfortable with one.

mdstu
I agree with this. Both sides did what they thought was best for their teams. Kudos for both sides sticking to their guns and not letting fan pressure then into doing something they did not believe in.

I was actually talking about Carl and Trent, but it also applies to the Chiefs and Dolphins.

blueballs
04-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Did somebody say he was?

it's the impression I've gotten
to the point of him retiring
instead of returning

tmax63
04-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Trent got his feelings hurt when he was asked to restructure and compete for his job but I bet it was a bigger slap in the face to him when the fish wouldn't give anything up to get him. He asked for and got permission to shop around and now he's facing the fact that nobody stepped up with an offer even close to what he and KC thought he was worth. If he is as "stand-up" a guy as he seems to be I see him coming back to KC, winning the job back and having a really good year just to prove them wrong.

boogblaster
04-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Carl has a plan..but giving Green up for nothing isn't it .....

Mr. Kotter
04-29-2007, 09:11 PM
I agree with this but I also think it is insane to pay Trent at his contract value.

With all that he did for this team, he's earned that money in my book....I know that goes against the grain in "business," but the Chiefs have shown some class....with the way they have treate Holmes for instance. I think, ethically, it would be just fine....good even...to just pay the guy, ESPECIALLY if he is our best QB right now (even if we give Croyle a look later in the season....)

cdcox
04-29-2007, 09:12 PM

What if eventually is late August? What good is he going to be for anybody at that point? If he fits under the cap, I doubt we release him unless he is the third best QB on the roster.

mdstu
04-29-2007, 09:13 PM
it's the impression I've gotten
to the point of him retiring
instead of returning

Hell at his contract I bet he would play even if he walked in on Carl bangin the Mrs.

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Why the hell not? He's the best QB presently on the roster.

No he's not. He WAS the best on the roster, up until the 2006 season. And everyone in the league knows this, otherwise, he'd have been swept up for a 4th (like McNair last year).

Mr. Kotter
04-29-2007, 09:16 PM
No he's not. He WAS the best on the roster, up until the 2006 season. And everyone in the league knows this, otherwise, he'd have been swept up for a 4th (like McNair last year).

I'm gonna mark this post, so that when he wins the job in Training Camp....we can revisit the issue.

:)

marked

blueballs
04-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Hell at his contract I bet he would play even if he walked in on Carl bangin the Mrs.

He doesn't have to see Carl or speak to him
LJ got by not speaking to DV or Saunders

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm gonna mark this post, so that when he wins the job in Training Camp....we can revisit the issue.

:)

marked

Do it. I'll have no problem admitting that I'm wrong but I don't think I am. Last year's play proved it.

crazycoffey
04-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Taking care of yourself and yours doesn't lessen your integrity. I respect the hell out of Trent and no matter what happen with this deal I will feel the same. I just think that if he were gonna take a cut he would worked it out with the team already.

don't misunderstand me, please, sorry if I did a bad job of communication.

I think he's done a great job of taking care of his family, but he's agreed in principle to play for less money this year with Miami, he was treated well by carl and the chiefs, if he stays I don't think a reconstuction to his contract makes him an idiot, I think it makes him a good stand up guy.

blueballs
04-29-2007, 09:22 PM
I will repeat this for the umpteenth time
Trent was treated with respect -his starting job
was kept for him no matter what Huard did -he's not forgotten

blueballs
04-29-2007, 09:23 PM
I do not care for Huard as a starter
but he earned the starting job
last season -period

Mr. Kotter
04-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Do it. I'll have no problem admitting that I'm wrong but I don't think I am. Last year's play proved it.

Last year's play proved our OLine sucked ass, and that his concussion was pretty severe. You don't just "overcome" stuff like that. You gotta get back in the groove. I'm betting he will be our starting QB when the season starts....unless someone is willing to give us what he's worth.

mdstu
04-29-2007, 09:25 PM
don't misunderstand me, please, sorry if I did a bad job of communication.

I think he's done a great job of taking care of his family, but he's agreed in principle to play for less money this year with Miami, he was treated well by carl and the chiefs, if he stays I don't think a reconstuction to his contract makes him an idiot, I think it makes him a good stand up guy.

I can dig it.

My point was that him refusing to restructure, would not lessen his integrity. It merely makes him the master of his own destiny.

Count Zarth
04-29-2007, 09:39 PM

Apparently he's been eating and eating and working out quite a bit but is still only about 210.

2bikemike
04-29-2007, 10:27 PM
IMHO the offense struggles no matter who is back there. I just don't see the O-line getting the job done. As far as Trent goes he will be cut in June. They are not going to pay the man.

It was great while it lasted but the run is over. And if I were Green I sure as hell wouldn't want to line up behind that line.

Count Zarth
04-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Our line can't be worse than it was last year. STONE COLD FACT.

greg63
04-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Some possibilities:

This sounds like king Carl to me.

greg63
04-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Our line can't be worse than it was last year. STONE COLD FACT.

How so?

Count Zarth
04-29-2007, 10:37 PM
How so?
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2711/34614lw9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Mecca
04-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Well it could......stranger things have happened.

Raiderhader
04-29-2007, 10:42 PM

God, we have some real idiots here...

Last year's play proved nothing more than Green took a very serious hit to the head. You cannot look at what he did last year and say that he no longer has it. What complete dumbassery. Now if he plays like that this year that will be a valid claim, but right now, it's f#cking assanine.

Mecca
04-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Trent is 37 with major concerns.......there is a realistic shot that he'll never be close to what he use to be and will be what he was when he came back last year, age and injuries tend to do that.

Raiderhader
04-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Trent is 37 with major concerns.......there is a realistic shot that he'll never be close to what he use to be and will be what he was when he came back last year, age and injuries tend to do that.

Does not change the fact that nobody really knows how he is going to perform.

I would strongly caution against underestimating the man.

bigbucks24
04-29-2007, 10:50 PM
I agree that you cannot judge Trent because of 1/2 year. but how is it that most people can say definitively that Dante (who is only 30) will never come back and be the pro bowl QB he was? Granted, one was a serious knee injury and the other was a concussion, but a serious concussion. For thos who say Trent is going to come back and be all that, why can't the same be said for Dante and if it can, why would the Phins trade for Trent?

Raiderhader
04-29-2007, 10:54 PM
I agree that you cannot judge Trent because of 1/2 year. but how is it that most people can say definitively that Dante (who is only 30) will never come back and be the pro bowl QB he was? Granted, one was a serious knee injury and the other was a concussion, but a serious concussion. For thos who say Trent is going to come back and be all that, why can't the same be said for Dante and if it can, why would the Phins trade for Trent?

The same can be said for Culpepper. It can also be said about him that he has always been overrated because of Randy Moss and Chris Carter.

wazu
04-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Carl is backed into a corner now. If he can't work out a trade, then the only way for him to save face is for Trent to start.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2007, 10:58 PM
I've been pondering this today. Well many days but today in particular. I think that Croyle does need to get in the game if he's gonna be our QBOTF. Not this year though. Not with this line. F*ck Miami, and f*ck Trent Green. He blackballed us in negotiations. He's accounted for in terms of money this year. Send him to the Wolves. If he takes another shot like he did last year, it's a shame, but it's business. I want Croyle to succeed. I don't think he will with the line we have in place now. Trent has "earned" his money for all of his service to this squad, but the shit he pulled with refusing to talk to anyone but Miami, I say enjoy your swan song Mr. Green. Harsh, but at this point how I feel. I'm a fan of this TEAM. Not one player. It'll be fun watching the quarterback rotation in Miami this year as well. Make it clear to LJ that he will get his money at the end of this year.

greg63
04-29-2007, 11:00 PM
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2711/34614lw9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Ummm; ok - sure. :rolleyes:

HMc
04-29-2007, 11:08 PM
If his salary fits under the cap and doesn't prevent us signing another player we covet then i say just pay it. Yeah he'd be an expensive backup, but.....wgaf?

bigbucks24
04-29-2007, 11:25 PM
I've been pondering this today. Well many days but today in particular. I think that Croyle does need to get in the game if he's gonna be our QBOTF. Not this year though. Not with this line. F*ck Miami, and f*ck Trent Green. He blackballed us in negotiations. He's accounted for in terms of money this year. Send him to the Wolves. If he takes another shot like he did last year, it's a shame, but it's business. I want Croyle to succeed. I don't think he will with the line we have in place now. Trent has "earned" his money for all of his service to this squad, but the shit he pulled with refusing to talk to anyone but Miami, I say enjoy your swan song Mr. Green. Harsh, but at this point how I feel. I'm a fan of this TEAM. Not one player. It'll be fun watching the quarterback rotation in Miami this year as well. Make it clear to LJ that he will get his money at the end of this year.
Not a bad take. But what do you think it does for team chemistry with him being here even though he doesn't want to be? I don't know the conversation taht went on between Trent and the FO or Herm, but my understanding is that some bridges have been burned. I understand that Trent is under contract with the chiefs and if he wants to play, the Chiefs can say play for us or retire, but for a sport that relys on all 11 guys working together, chemistry is important. Then again, maybe none of the players really care and understand that it is just business and maybe Trent is a professional and would suck it up and do well. Hell, we're all speculating on what was said and how people feel.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Not a bad take. But what do you think it does for team chemistry with him being here even though he doesn't want to be? I don't know the conversation taht went on between Trent and the FO or Herm, but my understanding is that some bridges have been burned. I understand that Trent is under contract with the chiefs and if he wants to play, the Chiefs can say play for us or retire, but for a sport that relys on all 11 guys working together, chemistry is important. Then again, maybe none of the players really care and understand that it is just business and maybe Trent is a professional and would suck it up and do well. Hell, we're all speculating on what was said and how people feel.

I think when it comes down to it, money talks and the bullshit walks. If the man gets paid, he'll give it his all. Especially if he wants any cred to play for anyone at all next year. I also think Trent is professional enough to stick it out for the bucks. I don't think it will be a problem, and I think it's best for Brody as well.

bigbucks24
If his salary fits under the cap and doesn't prevent us signing another player we covet then i say just pay it. Yeah he'd be an expensive backup, but.....wgaf?
Have you ever known King Carl to spend $7.2 million just to spite someone? And how would the Hunt family feel about Carl spending their money like that?

Count Zarth
Ummm; ok - sure. :rolleyes:

So you agree. Good.

bigbucks24
04-29-2007, 11:31 PM
I think when it comes down to it, money talks and the bullshit walks. If the man gets paid, he'll give it his all. Especially if he wants any cred to play for anyone at all next year. I also think Trent is professional enough to stick it out for the bucks. I don't think it will be a problem, and I think it's best for Brody as well.
I would not disagree with this. And this is where I think you make sense. Too many people are saying, "He sucks for us but is worth a 2nd to the Phins." And I think the franchises are close to the same situation. If he sucks for you, he sucks for the Phins. But you think he will be good for the Chiefs, so the argument that he is worth more than a 6th holds water.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2007, 11:50 PM
I would not disagree with this. And this is where I think you make sense. Too many people are saying, "He sucks for us but is worth a 2nd to the Phins." And I think the franchises are close to the same situation. If he sucks for you, he sucks for the Phins. But you think he will be good for the Chiefs, so the argument that he is worth more than a 6th holds water.

I think he returns to form. Unfortunately, I don't think either line will allow him to show it.

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2007, 11:53 PM
I'd start talking to the Bears

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2007, 11:55 PM
I'd start talking to the Bears

Why? If he's unwilling to restructure with anyone but Miami then it's a mute point. If he'd talked to Cleveland it may have affected our entire draft. That's one of the reasons I've taken the stance I have with him.

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Why? If he's unwilling to restructure with anyone but Miami then it's a mute point. If he'd talked to Cleveland it may have affected our entire draft. That's one of the reasons I've taken the stance I have with him.

if they want a reliable pro bowl QB that will most likely result in another Super Bowl appearence, and Herm and Lovie are best friends.It's all about pulling the right strings

Mr. Flopnuts
04-30-2007, 12:04 AM
if they want a reliable pro bowl QB that will most likely result in another Super Bowl appearence, and Herm and Lovie are best friends.It's all about pulling the right strings

Which are Trent's. Right now, he's not a big fan of Herms I don't think. If it would work and the compensation was right, I'm game.

DaneMcCloud
04-30-2007, 12:05 AM

Last year's play proved nothing more than Green took a very serious hit to the head. You cannot look at what he did last year and say that he no longer has it. What complete dumbassery. Now if he plays like that this year that will be a valid claim, but right now, it's f#cking assanine.

You're the real idiot. Don't make me prove that, too.

bigbucks24
04-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Too bad it isn't like baseball and the Chiefs could eat part of the contract. The Bears would be a great fit for Trent. They are a team making a run that needs a QB. Good call. Wonder if Trent woudl restructure to turn some of the salary into bonus. He wouldn't have to take a pay cut and the Chiefs could pay the bonus and essentially pay part of the contract. Then again, if Trent is hell bent on playing for Miami, he won't restructure.

el borracho
04-30-2007, 12:18 AM

Why can't you base his worth on last season's play? I don't think anybody really knows how Trent Green will play in 2007 (if he plays in 2007). We know he played well from 2002-2005; we know he played poorly in 2006. I'm not a doctor but I don't see that we can assume his play will return to his peak. He had a very serious head injury which kept him out for more than 2 months and when he did return he wasn't the same. The only fair deal would be a conditional future, based on performance.

keg in kc
04-30-2007, 12:19 AM
He'll still be traded, and Miami will end up paying more than they wanted. That's my guess. It doesn't hurt us at all to wait.

splatbass
04-30-2007, 12:21 AM
I would strongly caution against underestimating the man.

Agreed. Trent is a tough SOB with a lot of heart. He has overcome a lot of diversity in his career. I wouldn't count him out yet.

noa
04-30-2007, 12:25 AM
He has overcome a lot of diversity in his career.

Post of the year

HMc
04-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Trent's play is all about the Oline. He doesn't have the mobility to perform behind an average unit. Concussion or not.

HMc
04-30-2007, 12:27 AM
damn diversity when will it stop

splatbass
04-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Post of the year

Actually I meant adversity, but my brain wasn't working at the time....

Frosty
04-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Everyone keeps mentioning the $7.2 million price tag to keep Trent, but what will it cost to cut him? Is it really going to be a big savings since he got a big contract just a couple of years ago?