PDA

View Full Version : When is a catch not really a catch?

Mr. Laz
04-29-2007, 09:53 PM
i mean how fuggin stoopid is baseball?

you have to catch the foul tip in the glove .... if you catch it with your hand it doesn count.

utterly retarded

if it doesn't hit the ground, it a catch!!!!!!!

The Bad Guy
04-29-2007, 10:00 PM
I always wondered why foul tips on strike 1 or 2 aren't outs.

If the bat contacts the ball and it goes into a glove, why isn't it an out?

Mr. Laz
04-29-2007, 10:03 PM
I always wondered why foul tips on strike 1 or 2 aren't outs.

If the bat contacts the ball and it goes into a glove, why isn't it an out?
if it happens on strike 2 it is an out because it counts as strike 3.

but it doesn't ever count as a fly out

but what i didn't know is that if it happens on strike 2 it doesn't count as strike 3 unless it's caught IN THE GLOVE. If it's caught with any other part of the hand/body it's not strike 3.

totally 'tarded

chief52
04-29-2007, 10:05 PM
if it happens on strike 2 it is an out because it counts as strike 3.

but it doesn't ever count as a fly out

but what i didn't know is that if it happens on strike 2 it doesn't count as strike 3 unless it's caught IN THE GLOVE. If it's caught with any other part of the hand/body it's not strike 3.

totally 'tarded

Did not know that either. What made you aware of this?

SithCeNtZ
04-29-2007, 10:10 PM
I just can't believe the Royals can find historic ways to lose. I bet this situation hasn't happened more than 3 times in the history of baseball. And the rule isn't even if he catches the ball in his glove, it just has to hit or tip the glove and it counts as an out. It's amazing that it happened if you think about it.

Mr. Laz
04-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Did not know that either. What made you aware of this?
the Royals got screwed by this rule today against Seattle

Buck caught the foul tip ball with his right elbow ... against his leg after a foul tip glanced off his glove.

that would of been strike 3 and the 3rd out in an inning

since he didn't catch the ball with his mitt .... it wasn't.

the batter then went on to get a key base hit .... score 2 runs that provided the winning runs for seattle with that hit.

:cuss: :cuss:

chief52
04-29-2007, 10:16 PM
the Royals got screwed by this rule today against Seattle

Buck caught the foul tip ball with his right elbow ... against his leg after a foul tip glanced off his glove.

that would of been strike 3 and the 3rd out in an inning

since he didn't catch the ball with his mitt .... it wasn't.

the batter then went on to get a key base hit .... score 2 runs that provided the winning runs for seattle with that hit.

:cuss: :cuss:

Crazy...

stlchiefs
04-29-2007, 10:38 PM
I just can't believe the Royals can find historic ways to lose. I bet this situation hasn't happened more than 3 times in the history of baseball. And the rule isn't even if he catches the ball in his glove, it just has to hit or tip the glove and it counts as an out. It's amazing that it happened if you think about it.

Is this really the rule, because it doesn't mesh with what Laz explained. Laz said it hit off Buck's glove first, before he pinned it, if this was the case and your stated rule is right, it should have been an out. I have never heard this rule and am not questioning you, just wondering.

orange
04-29-2007, 10:51 PM
From AP:

"Morrow got the victory after Bloomquist took advantage of a second opportunity. Bloomquist fouled off a 3-2 pitch from Bannister and the ball got stuck behind catcher John Buck's chest protector. Buck tried to jog off the field, claiming the inning was over. Home plate umpire Chris Guccione immediately called it a foul ball, but then listened as Buck and Royals manager Buddy Bell argued to reverse the decision.

Guccione conferred with the rest of the crew and his initial ruling stood. Rule 6.05b states the batter is not out if the ball lodges in the catcher's equipment or clothing unless it hits his hand or glove first.

"First of all, they have to simplify the rule," Bell said. "That play happens too fast for the home plate umpire; it happens too fast for the second base umpire. If he fouls off the ball and it doesn't hit the ground, it should be a strikeout, plain and simple."'

SithCeNtZ
04-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Is this really the rule, because it doesn't mesh with what Laz explained. Laz said it hit off Buck's glove first, before he pinned it, if this was the case and your stated rule is right, it should have been an out. I have never heard this rule and am not questioning you, just wondering.

Orange has it right. It has to hit his hand or glove first. It foul tipped above his glove by a good two or three inches and he caught it perfectly against his body. Great catch by Buck and I had no idea such a rule existed before today.