PDA

View Full Version : IMO, Suzie Kolber made huge error in draft coverage that may cost Chiefs next year.

Coogs
04-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Don't know if this has been covered or not, but when Jax started their pick at #21, Kolber indicated that if any team wanted to pick Quinn, they needed to trade up in front of the Chiefs. And low and behold, the Browns did at the last second with the Cowboys.

Now the Chiefs have indicated they would have traded down with the Browns for their next years #1 as well instead of taking Quinn.

I just don't think it is right of the media too leak information like that over the airways during the draft. Thought it was wrong right when she did it, and if it ends up costing us a shot to get Brohm next season (if Croyle can't cut it) I think the Chiefs should prostest that fact.

In fact, I really think that right now, the league should intervien and grant the Chiefs the better of the two draft picks in the first round next season between Clevelands pick or the Chiefs pick. Example... if the Browns pick 2nd, and the Chiefs pick 10th, the Chiefs sshould get the Browns (Cowboys) 2nd pick, and the Cowboys get the Chiefs 10th.

I know that will never happen, but I do think it is fair.

Sure-Oz
04-30-2007, 10:36 AM
I wonder if any of the teams are watching ESPN during the draft you know?!

percysnow
04-30-2007, 10:38 AM
lol. . i hope this is meant as a joke

Coogs
04-30-2007, 10:39 AM
I wonder if any of the teams are watching ESPN during the draft you know?!

They all surely have someone watching it. If nothing else, the ones they have in Radio City Music Hall surely have a clue as to what is being reported.

Coogs
04-30-2007, 10:40 AM
lol. . i hope this is meant as a joke

No it is not. I think it was a gross error for Quinn or whoever to report to Kolber that KC had contacted him.... and have her report that over the air.

Codered
04-30-2007, 10:41 AM
At that point I think everyone in the world was thinking the exact same thing.

If the other GM's needed Suzy Kolber to tell them that then they should be fired.

carlos3652
04-30-2007, 10:41 AM
The NFL would grant nothing to any team due to a media leak unless the NFL leaked it... Why would the NFL have to alter anything when an outside party says something...

This makes no sense...

suds79
04-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't think the Browns needed Suzie Kolber to inform them that the Chiefs could be a strong candidate to draft Brady Quinn given the Chiefs QB situation.

carlos3652
04-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Everybody thought Quinn would go to Miami, so should have any other team jumped up and nabbed him at 8, it would be the media's fault, and Miami should get compensation for it... I think thats the same case, and I think it is bs...

I value your opinion, I just think it is not a valid one... I think it would be ludicrous that the NFL should intervene in any way...

siberian khatru
04-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Well, considering Carl was already quoted as saying he'd take Quinn if he fell to 23, I suspect the Browns at least factored that possibility into their thinking.

Plus, weren't they negotiating with other teams as Quinn fell? It's not like they were sleeping, heard KC would grab him, then suddenly picked up the phone and called Jerry Jones.

Brock
04-30-2007, 10:45 AM
All she did was point out the obvious.

|Zach|
04-30-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't think she was apart of any secret information.

CoMoChief
04-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Don't know if this has been covered or not, but when Jax started their pick at #21, Kolber indicated that if any team wanted to pick Quinn, they needed to trade up in front of the Chiefs. And low and behold, the Browns did at the last second with the Cowboys.

Now the Chiefs have indicated they would have traded down with the Browns for their next years #1 as well instead of taking Quinn.

I just don't think it is right of the media too leak information like that over the airways during the draft. Thought it was wrong right when she did it, and if it ends up costing us a shot to get Brohm next season (if Croyle can't cut it) I think the Chiefs should prostest that fact.

In fact, I really think that right now, the league should intervien and grant the Chiefs the better of the two draft picks in the first round next season between Clevelands pick or the Chiefs pick. Example... if the Browns pick 2nd, and the Chiefs pick 10th, the Chiefs sshould get the Browns (Cowboys) 2nd pick, and the Cowboys get the Chiefs 10th.

I know that will never happen, but I do think it is fair.

Right, I guess Suzy Kolber was the only one who thought that the Chiefs might take Quinn at #23.

I guess you're a believer of what really happens in the war rooms according to that cheesey stupidly retarded draft promo they had on ESPN.

carlos3652
Well, considering Carl was already quoted as saying he'd take Quinn if he fell to 23, I suspect the Browns at least factored that possibility into their thinking.

Plus, weren't they negotiating with other teams as Quinn fell? It's not like they were sleeping, heard KC would grab him, then suddenly picked up the phone and called Jerry Jones.

They started calling @ 12 down... I think they were worried St Louis would take him at 13...

percysnow
At that point I think everyone in the world was thinking the exact same thing.

If the other GM's needed Suzy Kolber to tell them that then they should be fired.

exactly

Mr. Laz
04-30-2007, 10:47 AM
i don't think a team couldn't of reacted fast enough to hear what Kolber said and then make a move.

other teams seem to know exactly what were gonna do each year without Suzie Kolber's help

Cochise
04-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Carl said it himself before she did. The Browns already knew they had to trade up in front of us.

Bowser
04-30-2007, 10:48 AM
The league should also up the playoff teams from 12 to 14, just in case we go 10-6 and miss the playoffs again.

trndobrd
04-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Obviously the Chiefs interest in Quinn was a closely guarded secret. I can't believe Kolber leaked such sensitive information that no one else knew about. Does anyone know how she got word that the Chiefs would draft Quinn, perhaps she stole some scouting reports, or paid an informant.

She should be fired, and the Chiefs should get the first pick next year.

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/637884.html

To Draft Or Not To Draft: Brady Quinn

Quinn in KC?

By Nick Athan
Warpaint Illustrated Publisher
Posted Apr 23, 2007

This week, Warpaint Illustrated Publisher Nick Athan previews five players that might be available when the Chiefs pick at #23 on Saturday. Today, he looks at Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn.

I admit, the possibility of the Chiefs grabbing Brady Quinn is slim. But when I asked head coach Herman Edwards last Friday about the possibility of Quinn dropping to the Chiefs at #23, he said without hesitation, “we draft him.”

With that knowledge in hand, I asked Chiefs Vice President of Player Personnel, Bill Kuharich, about what Edwards told me. “We draft him,” Kuharich said with a grin.

carlos3652
04-30-2007, 10:55 AM
It was Nicks fault... as always...

ChiefsCountry
04-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Big deal IMO. Chiefs never thought he would make it that fall, a true top 10 talent falling to our spot is not very likely. I probally would have said the same thing that Carl did.

Fish
04-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Suzy should post nude photos of herself on the Chiefs website as compensation for this remorseless violation...

The nerve of her....

Saulbadguy
04-30-2007, 11:12 AM
This is similar to the CosmicPal "Class action suit against ESPN" thread.

Andoverer
04-30-2007, 11:23 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/browns/2007-04-29-war-room-cover_N.htm

This ought to settle the rumors. No mention of Suzie Kolber in this story.

Extra Point
04-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Suzy should post nude photos of herself on the Chiefs website as compensation for this remorseless violation...

The nerve of her....

Cruel and unusual!!! I like it!

nomad
04-30-2007, 11:33 AM
If the team had been more hush-hush regarding Quinn, they may have had the opportunity to either take Quinn or be the team that traded out an end up with Clevelands 1st pick in 2008.

Instead that opportunity went to Dallas.

Later Cleveland traded back in front of the Chiefs to pick CB Eric Wright who everyone seemed to know would be picked by the Chiefs had he been available.

So we didn't end up being the team to trade Brady, and we didn't end up with a first day CB in Wright.

Peterson and the Chiefs seemingly could/should have played their cards closer to the vest IMO.

Steve Sewell
04-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Romeo Crennel: Holy crap, did you hear what Suzy Kolber said?

Phil Savage: Hell yeah, we better trade up if we want to get Quinn otherwise the Chumps...er...the Chiefs are going to hold us over the coals!

***Trade ensues and Cleveland picks Quinn***

Hot Carl Petersen (on the phone with the commish's office): No fair! No fair! Suzy Kolber tipped Cleveland off to trade up and take Quinn. We should receive draft compensation for this! It's only fair! Oh, and can you please expand the playoff system so we can get in next year without un-godly luck? Thanks, Bye.

HemiEd
04-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Just another, in a long line of plots, that are intended to keep the Chiefs out of the Super Bowl. ESPN did not pick the Chiefs for any prime time games this year, either.

****ing Commies!

Mr. Plow
04-30-2007, 11:40 AM
So this is all Suzy Kolber's fault. Damn you Suzy. Damn you.

Fruit Ninja
04-30-2007, 12:09 PM
I am sure they knew long before a espn chick talked about it. Not like Shefter and Clayton dont talk to the FO's of them teams.

ct
04-30-2007, 12:31 PM
She did her job as a draft analyst and made a great observation. How again is this an error, and why did she do something wrong?

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Browns GM Phil Savage said the team was making calls trying to get a trade made to get back into the first round from pick #12 on.

It's all Suzy's fault.

OctoberFart
04-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Honestly this is a terrible thread. You honestly Kolber mentioned something that the Browns front office didn't know? You must not be very bright as it was very obvious once he was getting in the teens he hit a stretch that went GB, Jax(who I thought was a possibility),Cinn, Tenn, NYG, Donks,DAL, then KC. It was pretty obvious and it would most likely be KC who would take the guy. If you think that the browns scouts were just watching the draft and said Suzy just reported we need to trade in front of KC so we better do it, you aren't very smart.

OnTheWarpath58
04-30-2007, 01:53 PM
It was reported after the deal that the Chiefs called Cleveland to get them to move into that slot after the Jaguars passed on Quinn, and the Browns refused to give a R1 pick to an AFC team.

Knowing that, the only trading partner was Dallas.

King_Chief_Fan
04-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Honestly this is a terrible thread. You honestly Kolber mentioned something that the Browns front office didn't know? You must not be very bright as it was very obvious once he was getting in the teens he hit a stretch that went GB, Jax(who I thought was a possibility),Cinn, Tenn, NYG, Donks,DAL, then KC. It was pretty obvious and it would most likely be KC who would take the guy. If you think that the browns scouts were just watching the draft and said Suzy just reported we need to trade in front of KC so we better do it, you aren't very smart.

I do not like agreeing with Raider fans......in this case I am making an exception.

buddha
04-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Coogs, that is really one of the silliest posts I've ever read. Do you *really* think for a second that Cleveland got tipped off by Suzy Kolber that KC might be interested in a QB? WTF.

Kclee
04-30-2007, 02:14 PM
With that knowledge in hand, I asked Chiefs Vice President of Player Personnel, Bill Kuharich, about what Edwards told me. “We draft him,” Kuharich said with a grin.

Bill was on Sirius about 2 hours ago talking about the draft picks and they asked him about that. What he said was that is was between Staley and Bowe. If Quinn fell then it would have been between all 3 and they would have been talking for the whole 15 min. He also said that the Chiefs didn't receive one call to move back with that first pick.

buddha
04-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Bill was on Sirius about 2 hours ago talking about the draft picks and they asked him about that. What he said was that is was between Staley and Bowe. If Quinn fell then it would have been between all 3 and they would have been talking for the whole 15 min. He also said that the Chiefs didn't receive one call to move back with that first pick.

Kclee, thanks for passing that along. I'm so happy that we didn't get Staley. I know we need OL, but that guy got abused at the Senior Bowl and he is at least a couple of years away from starting (best case scenario). I think Bowe can help KC now and can develop into something pretty darn special.

Frosty
04-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Anyone watching the draft on ESPN had probably slipped into a coma by that point from all of the Brady Quinn slobbering.

Rain Man
04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
I think they should put Suzy in prison with a webcam where she'll be forced to wrestle other inmates for the pleasure of the sadistic lesbian warden.

KcMizzou
04-30-2007, 02:46 PM
I think they should put Suzy in prison with a webcam where she'll be forced to wrestle other inmates for the pleasure of the sadistic lesbian warden.
You're an idea man.

Mile High Mania
04-30-2007, 02:47 PM
I haven't read the replies... but Coogs, you've lost grips with reality. The media does this every year. I was listening to local radio (Dallas station covering the draft) and well before the trade was mentioned, the local guys were saying "Dallas could pick Quinn here, but if they don't... maybe they'll trade the pick. Any team wanting Quinn should trade with Dallas b/c it's very likely KC will take him".

So, you might want to add KTCK The Ticket in Dallas to your list of companies to ban from future draft events.

Rain Man
04-30-2007, 02:47 PM
You're an idea man.

I actually have only the one idea, but it seems to work in a lot of situations.

ROYC75
04-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Damn Coogs, get real. :shake:

NaptownChief
04-30-2007, 03:14 PM
"Now the Chiefs have indicated they would have traded down with the Browns for their next years #1 as well instead of taking Quinn."

Sure they would have. :rolleyes: Now that they didn't get him and Croyle and Huard are sitting around going "gee, clearly they don't think too much of me..." of course they are going to say "we didn't really want Quinn either".

Coogs
04-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Ever start one of those threads that later you really feel stupid about?

:redface:

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Ever start one of those threads that later you really feel stupid about?

:redface:
No.

Or................. wait............................. :hmmm:

:)