PDA

View Full Version : In Pete Prisco's opinion...

Frankie
04-30-2007, 02:58 PM
... we made our best pick in the 2nd. :hmmm:

Kansas City Chiefs

Best pick: Second-round pick Turk McBride will be a surprise player on the next level, maybe even a Pro Bowl player.

Questionable move: They didn't get a corner. Ty Law and Patrick Surtain are getting up in the years.

Second-day gem: Running back Kolby Smith, a fifth-round pick, should be able to make the team as a backup and special-teams player.

Overall grade: B-. I like Dwayne Bowe in the first round, and getting McBride will pay off, but not taking a corner hurts.

Cochise
04-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Forget Turk! We shoulda picked this McBride

Frosty
04-30-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm worried. :shake:

DaWolf
04-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Overall grade: B-. I like Dwayne Bowe in the first round, and getting McBride will pay off, but not taking a corner hurts.

While I don't disagree with the concept, precisely which corner would he have liked for us to take where he wouldn't have started off his column with "The Chiefs made a major reach..."

noa
04-30-2007, 04:20 PM
The Chiefs were pretty clear that they had identified several CBs in the various rounds that they liked, but they were all gone by the time we got to pick. It sucks that we didn't get a CB prospect, but I'm happy that we didn't reach to fill a need an instead went with the best players on our board.
I also think we'll bring in a free agent or two before training camp to address the situation.

Frankie
04-30-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm not as worried about CBs as a lot of people are. i think we have at least one more year in the Surtain/Law combo and somebody like Maxey or Bragg will improve. There's also June FAs etc. If by adding Boone, Tyler and McBride we have improved our DL pressure our corners should find life a lot easier. That said, I think our 08 1st rounder is a corner.

Frankie
04-30-2007, 04:24 PM
The Chiefs were pretty clear that they had identified several CBs in the various rounds that they liked, but they were all gone by the time we got to pick.
Some of them went only a pick or two before our turn. Maybe the Chiefs did give away their playbook by IDing some of those corners of interest. :hmmm:

OnTheWarpath58
04-30-2007, 04:26 PM
While I don't disagree with the concept, precisely which corner would he have liked for us to take where he wouldn't have started off his column with "The Chiefs made a major reach..."

Exactly.

The only corner that was even close in value when we picked was Daymeion Hughes in the 3rd.

Chris Houston and Eric Wright were gone by the time we picked in the 2nd, meaning we would have had to pick them in the 1st. No way.

We would have had to reach for Josh Wilson, Marcus McCauley or Usama Young in the 2nd round.

Johnathan Wade and Hughes available in the 3rd.

We did a great job NOT reaching.

pikesome
04-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Exactly.

The only corner that was even close in value when we picked was Daymeion Hughes in the 3rd.

Chris Houston and Eric Wright were gone by the time we picked in the 2nd, meaning we would have had to pick them in the 1st. No way.

We would have had to reach for Josh Wilson, Marcus McCauley or usama Young in the 2nd round.

We did a great job NOT reaching.

Considering that we're going to be picking to fill the left over holes next year, I'm real happy with the not reaching part. We're going to need bodies next year too, maybe we'll be in a better position then. And have more draft picks then normal (ie. we haven't traded them away).

Frankie

About the only time any corner of interest fell to us in the right round. But obviously couldn't pass up Tank's value there.

OnTheWarpath58
Some of them went only a pick or two before our turn. Maybe the Chiefs did give away their playbook by IDing some of those corners of interest. :hmmm:

Eric Wright and Aaron Ross were the only ones that went close to where we picked. Daymeion Hughes was still available in the 3rd.

I think there was a bit of gamesmanship regarding our interest in Wright.

Cleveland traded up to get him before us, then Carl went on record yesterday and said they had no interest in him.

Well played by Carl?

MadMax
04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Forget Turk! We shoulda picked this McBride

ROFL! Bake looks umm baked! :p :bong:

Logical
04-30-2007, 04:33 PM
I am only upset that we did not take a corner for the 2nd year in a row. That is worriesome.

Frosty
04-30-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm not as worried about CBs as a lot of people are. i think we have at least one more year in the Surtain/Law combo and somebody like Maxey or Bragg will improve.

I mentioned earlier that I had some hope for Justin Phinisee, even if he is a stinkin' Duck. I saw him play quite a bit and thought he would make a good zone CB. He is also a good punt returner, which the Chiefs really need. He was picked up be the Buccs but injured in camp and released.

Phinisee is a tough and versatile player who played both cornerback and safety at Oregon and is sort of stuck between the two positions in the NFL. He has the quick feet, acceleration and playing speed to stay on the receiver’s hip on deep routes, but the trouble is that his footwork/backpedal is so raw and choppy that he struggles to get in and out of the backpedal quickly to break and close on passes consistently. He is at his best in zone coverage because he does not really have to pedal much and can just plant, drive and close based on his quick read of the quarterback. In zone coverage, he has a quick closing burst to the ball and can break up passes well. His lack of good hips and flexibility hinder Phinisee’s ability to turn and run with receivers because he consistently loses a step. He is not helped by the fact that he does not slow the receiver’s release with a good jam in press coverage. He is definitely tough enough and tackles well enough for a cornerback, but is not a consistent enough tackler for a safety. His ability to make big plays as a punt returner is what is going to give Phinisee a chance to have an NFL career. Phinisee can make it in the NFL as a backup cornerback and safety who will make most of his plays on the special teams coverage units and as a punt returner.

STRONG POINTS

Phinisee is a quick-footed cornerback who can plant, drive and close quickly on short passes from zone coverage and has shown ability to break up passes with his front arm. He has good hands and can cut underneath the receiver from "trail" coverage to make a good interception. He has the playing speed to run with receivers deep down the field. He consistently comes up quickly on runs and short passes in front of him and is willing to make hard and physical hits. He has experience returning punts and shows a quick burst of acceleration to full speed, and once he gets to full speed, he has the ability to make big returns.

WEAKNESSES

Phinisee is a "tweener" who has the straight-line playing speed, foot quickness and size for cornerback, but he lacks the hips, flexibility and technique to be good in man-to-man coverage. While he is a tough enough hitter for safety, he is not a consistent enough tackler. His backpedal is raw and choppy and he struggles to transition out of his backpedal quickly to break, close and make plays on passes.

OnTheWarpath58
04-30-2007, 04:37 PM
I am only upset that we did not take a corner for the 2nd year in a row. That is worriesome.

I understand the concern, but we've just discussed that there wasn't one worth taking in rounds 1-3.

Not having a R4 pick is what really hurt, there were a lot of good CB's taken in that round and early in the 5th.

buddha
04-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Ross was the missed opportunity. Had we been more aggressive and traded up, we could have had him. I could be wrong, but he looks like a pro-bowl calibre CB and will get there sooner rather than later.

I'm not disappointed in Bowe, however, because we really needed a play maker in the passing game. For those who claim you can get WRs at any point in the draft, I guess that's true. However, for every gem you can name from the fourth round, there are hundreds of busts who people can't remember.

Bowe's an elite talent and should be a mainstay for KC for years.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2007, 04:42 PM
A Pro Bowl Wideout in our offense is immeasurably more important than a Pro bowl CB in a Cover 2.

There will still be several corner who get cut. We can easily find a warm body to play NB.

OnTheWarpath58
04-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Ross was the missed opportunity. Had we been more aggressive and traded up, we could have had him. I could be wrong, but he looks like a pro-bowl calibre CB and will get there sooner rather than later.

I'm not disappointed in Bowe, however, because we really needed a play maker in the passing game. For those who claim you can get WRs at any point in the draft, I guess that's true. However, for every gem you can name from the fourth round, there are hundreds of busts who people can't remember.

We weren't trading up for anyone, much less Aaron Ross, as much as CP would have like to have him. We wanted to stockpile picks, not spend them.

Our first 3 picks will start THIS year. When is the last time that happened?

beer bacon
04-30-2007, 04:43 PM

From what I have heard from Texas fans, Ross was more a Philip Buchanon then a Champ Bailey. The type of player who gives up two big plays for every big play he makes. I was happy when the Giants took him.

I was also happy that we didn't draft a CB in the first round. It just doesn't make sense to pay the premium in the draft for a 4.3 CB when the cover 2 doesn't require it. I really wanted Huges in the third, but Tank was the better value.

OnTheWarpath58
04-30-2007, 04:44 PM
From what I have heard from Texas fans, Ross was more a Philip Buchanon then a Champ Bailey. The type of player who gives up two big plays for every big play he makes. I was happy when the Giants took him.

That makes two of us.

Frankie
04-30-2007, 05:01 PM
That makes two of us.