PDA

View Full Version : The draft's impact on fantasy football

Sam Hall
04-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Rookie WRs usually don't make a huge impact, but who wouldn't want Calvin Johnson on their roster? I was hoping Adrian Peterson would go to a team with less competition at RB, but he is very draftable. The article is long, so just a link:

http://nfl.com/fantasy/story/10153204

noa
04-30-2007, 02:27 PM
I like Calvin Johnson's fantasy prospects. Some might hesitate over the fact that he'll have to compete with Roy Williams for TDs, but Chad Johnson and TJ Houshmandzadeh both put up good fantasy numbers, as do Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, and Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne.

As for RB's, I don't think Adrian Peterson will make an instant fantasy impact because of Chester Taylor, and I'm not sure what the situation in Buffalo will be with Lynch and A-Train, who actually stole some fantasy production from McGahee last season.

Delano
04-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Meh. Kind of a worthless article.

Was good to read Mikhael Ricks' name.

SHOUT OUT TO MZ. RICKS!! TELL MIKE HI PLZ.

Sam Hall
04-30-2007, 02:30 PM
My concern with Johnson is how the Lions' WRs will be effected if Kevin Jones does not come back healthy. Roy Williams would get double-teamed and it wouldn't help Johnson either.

noa
04-30-2007, 02:32 PM
My concern with Johnson is how the Lions' WRs will be effected if Kevin Jones does not come back healthy. Roy Williams would get double-teamed and it wouldn't help Johnson either.

I guess it depends what kind of impact Tatum Bell will have.

Mile High Mania
04-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Rookies aren't typically very helpful in fantasy unless you are looking at it from the perspective of a keeper league. Sure, rookies can make for good options during bye weeks when a stud is out if the match-up is right, but for the most part... especially at WR and QB, rookies rarely are ever worth the time in re-draft leagues.

RBs are really where you can strike gold with rookies. I think Marshawn Lynch is going to rock this year with Buffalo. They have A-Train and a gaggle of spares behind him. The Bills traded McGahee and beefed up their Oline in the process. I think Lynch will take some time to get rolling, but I would draft him as a #3 option and feel confident that by Halloween he was a solid #2 in a 12 team league that starts 2 RBs.

I do think that Peterson has huge value in MIN, but they did give Taylor a chunk of change last year and they have all sorts of offensive concerns with QB and WR. I think that is a team looking at a big bag of hell in 2007. However, the one shining glimmer of hope could be Peterson. I think Lynch produces more than Peterson in 2007, but I like Peterson's long term value a bit more in a keeper league.

QBs... enh, not in a redraft league. Young, Cutler and Leinart had their moments, but they were marginal from a fantasy perspective in 2006. Cutler and Leinart have nice upside this year though. Vince has Vick-like upside, but until they plug the holes left by Henry and Bennett... I wouldn't have Vince Young on my team this year.

Anthony Gonzalez has nice value with Indy... and if he works out, he could be a great keeper option for the time when Harrison finally decides to play like an old receiver.

There's no doubt that Calvin Johnson will go higher than he should... and he will pay off at times, but he's still going to be learning the Martz system which is tough. They have Roy Williams and Mike Furrey has a role and a lot to prove regarding his surprising success in 2006.

I don't know what will happen with DET's RB situation, but Bell has talent, he just never found his way out of Shanny's dog house. I think Martz can get a lot out of him, but it's going to depend on what is up with KJones and how well Bell adjusts to the new offense.

Keeper aspect - yes, rookies have huge value, but in your standard redraft leagues... there's only a few worth looking at right now. Things could change though. Finding the next Marques Colston is next to impossible...

Let me know if you find him though and I'll do the same.