PDA

View Full Version : How good will Jamarcus Russell have to be to justify his selection?

FringeNC
04-30-2007, 04:53 PM
How many QBs selected #1 in the draft have lived up to the hype? What type of stats will Russell have to put up, and how soon?

It seems to me most QBs take a few years to develop -- Russell is raw and may take longer. Problem is, teams only have exclusive rights for a limited time. Even if Russell becomes a stud, it may take a few years to get there, at which time it's almost time for a new contract...

If I were drafting, I'd only consider the very polished QBs like Quinn and Leinart as early first round picks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2007, 04:55 PM
You should go to at least 3-5 Pro Bowls to warrant a selection as a #1 overall QB.

L.A. Chieffan
04-30-2007, 04:57 PM
JaBustus Russell is done.
The guy has a good arm but he doesnt have any deep threats plus his line makes Jordan Black look like Willie Roaf.
Move over Ryan Leaf.

Mile High Mania
04-30-2007, 05:01 PM
If the team wins... and he's playing QB during the winning, then he's worth the pick. Jamarcus doesn't have to be Peyton Manning like with his stats at all.

All he has to do is stay healthy, start and win. That will validate his pick.

StcChief
04-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Al Davis Just Win Baby that is all.

suds79
04-30-2007, 05:06 PM
I think when a QB is drafted #1 overall, it's expected that he'll be a probowler by year 2 or 3 and by year 4 regarded as one of the leagues top 5 best QBs in the league.

FringeNC
04-30-2007, 05:11 PM
I'd say Alex Smith and Eli Manning have been busts. Even if those guys turn it around these next couple years, it will have been a huge investment for very little return.

Mecca
04-30-2007, 05:15 PM
I think it was the right pick, I'll wait till he steps on the field before I call him a bust.

I think he has a better chance of being a long term productive pro than Vince Young does.......

Mecca
04-30-2007, 05:16 PM
I'd say Alex Smith and Eli Manning have been busts. Even if those guys turn it around these next couple years, it will have been a huge investment for very little return.

I disagree about Smith the 49ers are going in the right direction and he's improving with them.

NaptownChief
04-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Hard to say that about Alex Smith so far...only played two seasons and did improve quite a bit in his second year. The 9ers improved a lot and that wouldn't have happen if he didn't make some good strides. He needs to play like a top 10 QB this season not to be a bust IMO but I expect him to likely do that.

Manning is on the fringe of being a bust and will be offically one if he doesn't figure it all out this season.

noa
04-30-2007, 05:17 PM
I think we'll know more about Smith next year when we see how he does without Norv Turner. Losing Turner could be a big setback in his development.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2007, 05:18 PM
I think it was the right pick, I'll wait till he steps on the field before I call him a bust.

I think he has a better chance of being a long term productive pro than Vince Young does.......

They could have easily gone Joe Thomas, Justin Blaylock and used Moss to trade up from 3 to late 2 to take Ryan Kalil.

The Raiders could have had three pro bowl O-lineman in one draft, still gotten Michael Bush, and orchestrated their trade for Williams/Mcown

CoMoChief
04-30-2007, 05:20 PM

I dont know about Eli Manning yet. He's shown he can be very good. It would be hard to try and prove yourself when your older brother is one of the best QB's to ever play the game.

Alex Smith sucks ass though. If he doesn't dramatically improve this season I would say he's a bust. They need an Oline to protect him though.

FringeNC
04-30-2007, 05:22 PM
I disagree about Smith the 49ers are going in the right direction and he's improving with them.

It's not all Alex Smith's fault, that's for sure, but how can his selection not be considered a bust? SF would have been better off trading down, and stockpiling draft picks.

blueballs
04-30-2007, 05:22 PM
The Raiders have to sign him first
#1 drafted QB is big league money baby

Mecca
04-30-2007, 05:28 PM
They could have easily gone Joe Thomas, Justin Blaylock and used Moss to trade up from 3 to late 2 to take Ryan Kalil.

The Raiders could have had three pro bowl O-lineman in one draft, still gotten Michael Bush, and orchestrated their trade for Williams/Mcown

Russell is a pretty rare QB prospect, I don't see any QB's on his level for the next few years in the drafts.

FringeNC
04-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Russell is a pretty rare QB prospect, I don't see any QB's on his level for the next few years in the drafts.

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are hardly physical specimens. I'll be shocked if Russell is as good as either one. He may turn out to be a real good QB, who knows -- I just question taking a QB with the #1 pick, especially a raw one.

Thig Lyfe
04-30-2007, 05:34 PM

Wrong on both counts. Alex Smith really started to turn it around last season, and he's helped turn the 49ers into a legit playoff contender (albeit in the moribund NFC West), while Eli has already led the Giants to multiple playoff appearances.

They hardly qualify as busts.

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Russell is gonna be like Brett Favre without an O-line

Mecca
04-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are hardly physical specimens. I'll be shocked if Russell is as good as either one. He may turn out to be a real good QB, who knows -- I just question taking a QB with the #1 pick, especially a raw one.

The top QB for next year as of now is Brian Brohm he doesn't compare......

FringeNC
04-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Wrong on both counts. Alex Smith really started to turn it around last season, and he's helped turn the 49ers into a legit playoff contender (albeit in the moribund NFC West), while Eli has already led the Giants to multiple playoff appearances.

They hardly qualify as busts.

NY Giants went to the playoffs in spite of Manning. He was pretty bad.

Alex Smith was okay I guess, but I thought Leinart looked better, and he was a rookie.

DaWolf
04-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Al Davis has already compared him to John Elway. So the standard has been established for him already...