PDA

View Full Version : KC – Who will return punts?

Wilson8
04-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Lost in all of the activity of trading Dante Hall and going through the draft is the fact that the Chiefs have a big question mark at who will now return punts for the team.

Eddie Kennison certainly has the most experience and is very good at it. In his first four years in the NFL he returned 138 punts and had 3 TDs in that time. I think Eddie would be a very capable fill in when needed, but given his age and value as a WR, I think the Chiefs would not be wise to ask him to do it full time.

Jeff Webb is supposed to be the kick returner. In some press conference, Carl was quick to point out that Jeff is not the punt return man. At San Diego State, Jeff only had one kick off return. That was for 17 yards. In college games, he had no punt returns.

Benny Sapp and Jarrad Page, other than Eddie Kennison, have the most game experience in returning punts. They have each returned 3 punts. Benny has a total of 18 yards and Jarrad has 55 yards.

Chris Hannon is next in line for punt return experience. He has 2 punts for 9 yards in his playing time at Tennessee.

I can not find any record that Michael Bennett, Dwayne Bowe, Kolby Smith, Rod Gardner, Derrick Ross, Michael Bragg, or Samie Parker ever returned punts at a level higher than high school.

Justin Phinisee’s draft profile from 2 years ago says he can return punts but I could find no information indicating that he did that at Oregon.

As some of you know, catching a punt can be very hard and not everyone can do it. Catching a punt and running with it is very different than doing a kick-off. I think there are several people that can return kick-offs for us, not true for punts.

There was a hope that the Chiefs would address this in the draft. That showed in the interest in Aaron Ross in the first round of the draft. As you all know, unless Turk and Tank have some special punt return skills, it did not get done.

The person the Chiefs signed today might just be the answer. Ean Randolph, 5’9” 175 lbs (kind of Dante Hall size) He was 4th in Div I football in punt return average in 2006. He returned 25 punts for 370 yards for a 14.8 average. He had 1 punt return TD. He played for South Florida.

This was a lot of work…I have to go rest now.

Count Zarth
04-30-2007, 10:50 PM
I've heard Hannon and Kennison will battle for the job.

ChiefJustice
04-30-2007, 10:52 PM
My guess is Kennison...if no one steps up in pre-season.

I'd like to see Bowe get a few shots at it.

ChiefsCountry
04-30-2007, 10:54 PM
I bet they sign someone to do it. There are some cheap free agents on the market who are return men.

TinyEvel
04-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Wait, Hannon and Kennison beat (Julian) Battle for the job? What? WHaaaat?

Wilson8
04-30-2007, 10:55 PM
It would certainly make Hannon more valuable if he can. I still don't think Kennison should take the pounding.

Count Zarth
04-30-2007, 10:58 PM
It would certainly make Hannon more valuable if he can. I still don't think Kennison should take the pounding.

The dude has one more year left in the NFL, tops, IMO. Might as well get the most out of him while we still can.

ChiefsCountry
04-30-2007, 10:59 PM
The dude has one more year left in the NFL, tops, IMO. Might as well get the most out of him while we still can.

Thank God your not an NFL coach.

keg in kc
04-30-2007, 11:00 PM
I think it's nigh on stupid to have your 58-year old #1 WR out returning punts.

Sam Hall
04-30-2007, 11:01 PM
I remember Herm recently saying that Jeff Webb would return punts if the season started tomorrow.

Count Zarth
04-30-2007, 11:01 PM
I think it's nigh on stupid to have your 58-year old #1 WR out returning punts.

Why not? If he's the best guy on the team at it, who cares? If he gets hurt, oh well. Early retirement is a bitch.

Groves
04-30-2007, 11:02 PM
I'd love to hear more about the differences in technique. Why is it so different than kickoffs? Is it the difference in kicks? The catching? The "I've got a guy about to kill me" scenario?

Wilson8
04-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Why not? If he's the best guy on the team at it, who cares? If he gets hurt, oh well. Early retirement is a bitch.
Right now Kennison is our number 1 wide receiver. He should only return punts when we have to use him there.

Count Zarth
04-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Right now Kennison is our number 1 wide receiver. He should only return punts when we have to use him there.

If he was 30 I'd agree with you. But he's not. Screw it.

Count Zarth
04-30-2007, 11:06 PM
I'd love to hear more about the differences in technique. Why is it so different than kickoffs? Is it the difference in kicks? The catching? The "I've got a guy about to kill me" scenario?

Yeah, pretty much. On a kickoff, you kinda know where the ball is coming down. On a punt, it's coming down right on top of your head due to the trajectory of the kick. And of course, less blocking. If you're inside the 20, you've got to consider calling for a fair catch.

Fielding punts on a hop is no walk in the park either.

Wilson8
04-30-2007, 11:07 PM
All of the above that you just mentioned. You don't have nearly the time that you normally have with a kick-off. The ball has a different angle as it comes down. There are many good receivers for passes that do not catch punts well.

ChiefJustice
04-30-2007, 11:09 PM

Insightful as ever.
:shake:

keg in kc
04-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Why not? If he's the best guy on the team at it, who cares? If he gets hurt, oh well. Early retirement is a bitch.Because the idea, even if Croyle is starting and the line is patchwork, is to actually try and win games, and there's an exponentially better chance of doing that with Kennison starting at receiver instead of Hannon or Webb. At least in 2007.

ChiefsCountry
04-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Insightful as ever.
:shake:

Makes you want to go sign up for WPI.

Count Zarth
04-30-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm seriously having a hard time understanding how this team is worse off if Kennison gets hurt. We're likely not going anywhere anyway, so the experience Webb gets will be valuable. It's a win-win situation IMO.

TinyEvel
04-30-2007, 11:15 PM
ROD GARDNER!

ChiefJustice
04-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Makes you want to go sign up for WPI.

OMG!!

That would deserve rep...and a towel to clean up the beer i just spit out.
ROFL

Wilson8
04-30-2007, 11:18 PM
I bet they sign someone to do it. There are some cheap free agents on the market who are return men.
That's a possibility. It would be nice if they could fill the punt return skill with a backup cornerback. If they do that with a WR, then Hannon, Parker, or Webb will probably have to go. Kennison, Bowe, Webb, Parker and Hannon would make up the usual group of WR keepers. Besides Law and Surtain, I'm not sold on any of our backup corners.

bdeg
04-30-2007, 11:19 PM
I remember Herm recently saying that Jeff Webb would return punts if the season started tomorrow.
I believe that was concerning kickoffs. I could be wrong though.

Count Zarth
04-30-2007, 11:21 PM
This is actually one of my gripes about Madden. You can stick literally any bum back there for punts, doesn't matter. They need a "PR" and "KR" rating.

Rausch
04-30-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm seriously having a hard time understanding how this team is worse off if Kennison gets hurt. We're likely not going anywhere anyway, so the experience Webb gets will be valuable. It's a win-win situation IMO.

WTF haven't you teabagged the garbage disposal yet?...

ChiefJustice
04-30-2007, 11:23 PM

So,are we supposed to hire someone to hit Kennison in the knee with a lead pipe so that Webb gets his "time to shine"?

Wilson8
04-30-2007, 11:24 PM

If Kennison were to come to the coaches and ask to do punt returns on a full time bases, it would be different. Your top skill players should not be put into the line of fire to risk them even more to injury. Who was the top cornerback that got hurt a few years back returning punts? I remember the team was real sorry afterwards that they allowed that to happen.

Count Zarth
04-30-2007, 11:25 PM
So,are we supposed to hire someone to hit Kennison in the knee with a lead pipe so that Webb gets his "time to shine"?

Heh.

I'm just saying I don't care if Kennison gets hurt returning punts. Especially if he's the best man for the job.

Deberg_1990
04-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Heh.

I'm just saying I don't care if Kennison gets hurt returning punts. Especially if he's the best man for the job.

Kennison returning punts was one of the reasons he got ran out of St Louie. He always made alot of mental errors and fumbles ala Dante Hall....

Rausch
04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Because the idea, even if Croyle is starting and the line is patchwork, is to actually try and win games, and there's an exponentially better chance of doing that with Kennison starting at receiver instead of Hannon or Webb. At least in 2007.

Or ever.

I understand that GoCretin takes the opposite stance I do on damned near every subject but yet again it's simply lunacy.

Everyone has realized that Parker is dog$#it and Kennison is a late bloomer at the end of his run. That's fine.

The idea of dumping the solid, if unspectacular, producer due to age alone is idiocy. If he's the best guy we've got he's the best guy we've got. Thank sweet bleeding Jesus we've added talent to the WR position. I love it.

booger
04-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Michael Bennett has the ability to do it but considering last season and the history of nagging injuries, I don't know if it would be a wise idea.

ChiefJustice
04-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Pre-saeason will determine everything.Start a young guy
at the opening of the season(Bowe or Webb).If we completely fail in all aspects on the field(O-line,QB,Def..et all) then it won't matter who is back there catching punts.

But,if we do see a glimmer of the play-offs AND PR is our main problem going in...then you bring in Kennison.

Wilson8
04-30-2007, 11:41 PM
For the Stats people –

K-State’s Yamon Figurs was ranked 5th in punt return average in 2006.

Ted Ginn was ranked 25th.

Aaron Ross was ranked 29th.

Maybe this Ean Randolph will be worth giving a chance.

Rausch
04-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Michael Bennett has the ability to do it but considering last season and the history of nagging injuries, I don't know if it would be a wise idea.

He's always been a bleeding verginarh...

booger
04-30-2007, 11:45 PM
yep

keg in kc
05-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Or ever.

I understand that GoCretin takes the opposite stance I do on damned near every subject but yet again it's simply lunacy.

Everyone has realized that Parker is dog$#it and Kennison is a late bloomer at the end of his run. That's fine.

The idea of dumping the solid, if unspectacular, producer due to age alone is idiocy. If he's the best guy we've got he's the best guy we've got. Thank sweet bleeding Jesus we've added talent to the WR position. I love it.I expect we're going to see we have more talent at receiver than we anticipated, too ('we' meaning fans) because I still believe that Webb is going to be the steal of last season's draft.

It still amazes me, a year later, that we were able to grab a receiver with 74 receptions for 1,405 yards and 12 touchdowns at a division-1 school in the 6th round.