PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Wanted More Offense

Tribal Warfare
05-01-2007, 06:29 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/89730.html

Wanted: more offense

By JASON WHITLOCK
Columnist

In case you forgot, when last we saw our Chiefs, the final score was 23-8, the Chiefs didnít get a first down until late in the third quarter, Larry Johnson rushed for 32 yards, and the Indianapolis Colts fielded one of the leagueís worst defenses.

Carl Peterson, Herm Edwards and Bill Kuharich should have been forced to re-watch KCís playoff loss in the hours leading up to the draft. Maybe then they would have been reminded of what they needed to do over the weekend.

Kansas Cityís offense needs a major injection of youth, talent and energy. Somehow that has all been forgotten this offseason. So after signing two free-agent linebackers, the Chiefs reluctantly settled on a wide receiver in the first round of the draft and then settled on a Turk and a Tank, two defensive linemen, in the second and third rounds.

Am I the only one who remembers Indianapolis? Am I the only one who remembers that Dick Vermeil went overboard trying to build an offense and that Herm promised to build a complete team?

Am I the only person who thinks it is absolute lunacy to hand Larry Johnson any more contract leverage?

Let me be the first to label this offseason a failure. I donít mind climbing out on limbs. Iíll be the first to apologize if Iím wrong. But from my view, the Chiefs played this thing all wrong.

They did not do near enough to fix their decaying offense. Will Shields retired. Trent Green is on his way out. Larry Johnson wants Peyton Manning money. The Chiefs never replaced Willie Roaf or Tony Richardson. Eddie Kennison is old.

And letís see, a little more than three months after the most embarrassing offensive performance in the history of the league, the Chiefs take a flier on Sylvester Bowe or Dwayne Morris or SlyBowe.

Hey, Iím not down on Dwayne Bowe, the receiver out of LSU. I was happy about his acquisition. I called it a great pick at the time. But the Chiefs needed to do more on the offensive side of the ball.

They should have taken an offensive tackle in the second round. Who? I donít know. If there was no tackle worthy of a second-round pick, Iíd have taken another receiver. In the third round, they should have selected Louisville running back Michael Bush, a sure-fire top-15 pick had he not broken his leg. The Raiders took Bush with the first pick of the fourth round. He might be the steal of the draft.

Right now, if Larry Johnson holds out in a contract dispute, Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard should sue Peterson, Edwards and Kuharich for negligence.

It is impossible to develop a young quarterback (Croyle) without the proper complementary surrounding talent. It appears Croyle is going to get Schottenheimered, which is quarterback death caused by neglect.

Dick Vermeil put on a five-year clinic on how to develop a quarterback. You pamper quarterbacks. Peterson didnít pay attention, and Herm spends his free time fantasizing about 9-3 field-goal shootouts.

Did anyone notice that the Colts drafted a receiver in the first round and an offensive tackle in the second? The Colts are constantly giving Manning new toys to play with.

Croyle and Huard got Bowe and upgraded life-insurance policies. Meanwhile, Herm and Gunther Cunningham got a Tank and a Turk to maneuver, and a new kicker.

If Johnson is a no-show, the Chiefs wonít score a touchdown this season. Not an offensive one. Even with Johnson, the KC offense is still highly suspect. Bowe is not a burner. He wonít open up passing lanes for Tony Gonzalez. In fact, Bowe is likely to crowd Gonzalezís zones. Best-case scenario, Bowe is a T.J. Houshmandzadeh, the Bengals receiver who plays opposite speedster Chad Johnson.

The Chiefs donít have a Chad Johnson. They donít have a dominant offensive line, either. They have a top-flight, 31-year-old tight end and a punishing, overworked, hard-to-like running back who wants a $30 million signing bonus. Thatís it.

The Chiefs made five key acquisitions this offseason: two linebackers, two defensive tackles and a receiver.

Rewatch the Indy playoff game and ask yourself whether the offseason strategy makes any sense at all.

Tribal Warfare
05-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Jason, If you are out there KC did the right thing, and didn't reach for a player. It was a very solid draft

Fire Me Boy!
05-01-2007, 06:54 AM
then settled on a Turk and a Tank ....

.... Meanwhile, Herm and Gunther Cunningham got a Tank and a Turk to maneuver, and a new kicker.

Weak writing, Jason. I don't like you, but you're generally a better writer than to repeat your jokes.

blueballs
05-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Whitlock slings shit
Poznaski puts on rose colored glasses
our hope for balance rides on Jason King

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Apparently he forgot about McIntosh and Terry. No one we drafted this year was going to be better than those guys.

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Basically, Jason wanted the Chiefs to reach for players. Bad idea, pitiful draft strategy. I'm glad he isn't running the team.

trndobrd
05-01-2007, 07:25 AM
Basically, Jason wanted the Chiefs to reach for players. Bad idea, pitiful draft strategy. I'm glad he isn't running the team.

No, he wanted to draft players so Carl wouldn't have to spend money on LJ....an even wiser use of draft picks.

Messier
05-01-2007, 07:31 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/89730.html

Wanted: more offense

And letís see, a little more than three months after the most embarrassing offensive performance in the history of the league, the Chiefs take a flier on Sylvester Bowe or Dwayne Morris or SlyBowe.

Hey, Iím not down on Dwayne Bowe, the receiver out of LSU. I was happy about his acquisition. I called it a great pick at the time. But the Chiefs needed to do more on the offensive side of the ball.

Why does Whitlock write articles like this? Not only does JW contradict himself from article to article he contradicts himself in two sentences. So Dwayne Bowe is like Sylvestet Morris, but he likes the pick. Jason needs an opinion and stick to it.

Mr. Plow
05-01-2007, 08:19 AM
By JASON WHITLOCK
Herm spends his free time fantasizing about 9-3 field-goal shootouts.

ROFL

CoMoChief
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Apparently he forgot about McIntosh and Terry. No one we drafted this year was going to be better than those guys.

God why are you so high on these guys?

Mecca
05-01-2007, 10:35 AM

Cause it's better than burning your first round pick on Joe Staley.......

htismaqe
05-01-2007, 10:49 AM

We know simply by looking at the sacks allowed statistic that McIntosh is about 3 times better than Black.

NOBODY is "high" on these guys. But you'd have to be completely blind if you didn't see that we got rid of our biggest liability on the offensive line...

RedThat
05-01-2007, 10:50 AM
If anything, I still think we need work to do. I agree with Jason in a way but it's not gonna happen in one night. But when I looked at this years draft, I think Herm did the right thing and was thinking team.

When I watched that playoff game last year, OFFENSIVE TACKLE was a big issue. We couldn't block Freeney or Mathis. WR was a big issue. Ok we drafted a WR, fine. OT is questionable on this team. Sampson is always hurt, and Terry has off the field issues so who knows how our RT situation is going to pan out?

McIntosh is questionable. If he can hold up, it may be a decent acquistion. But OT is still very questionable on this team.

Kennison is old, JW is right about that. We could draft another WR next year? Or who knows? Maybe Webb or Hannon might pan out? You never know? But Im all for what Herm is doing playing the young guys and creating competition. That's how you find football players.

SNR
05-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Whitlock should stick with writing articles about racism

Dave Lane
05-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Peterson didnít pay attention, and Herm spends his free time fantasizing about 9-3 field-goal shootouts.

I love this quote OMG ROFL

Thank god we got the kicker for the shootout. Actually we are so miserable everywhere I don't have a problem with the picks and if we go 5-11 next year we can get a couple nice offensive players then.

Dave

Dave Lane
05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Terry is on his way out IMO if this domestic disturbance thing doesn't clear up some how. I'd say he's 50/50 at best.

Dave