PDA

View Full Version : Keyshawn Johnson Released

doomy3
05-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Keyshawn Johnson-WR- Panthers May. 1 - 2:31 pm et

The Panthers have reportedly released WR Keyshawn Johnson.

"They said they wanted to get younger," Johnson told the St. Petersburg Times. "That's fine with me. I'd like to go somewhere and help someone win another Super Bowl." The Panthers' decision to draft Dwayne Jarrett was apparently not so he could study under Johnson, then contribute in the future. Jarrett and Drew Carter are now likely to compete to start.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2668

doomy3
05-01-2007, 12:47 PM
I am pretty surprised about this.

Sam Hall
He must've said something on ESPN last weekend that the Panthers didn't like.

JBucc
I remember on draft day he was talking about how much he would teach Jarrett. Wonder where he'll end up?

Mecca
05-01-2007, 12:48 PM
They drafted Jarrett.......they have no need for him now.

siberian khatru
05-01-2007, 12:48 PM
OMG, that is hilarious given his exchange with Jarrett last weekend.

Mecca
05-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Now Jarrett laughs at him "what was that you said....."

Phobia
05-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Print 'em.

tk13
05-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Haha, that's funny. Watching him on ESPN last weekend, I was thinking the Panther's front office probably wanted him to shut his mouth, especially his lobbying for Brady Quinn considering they have Delhomme and Carr.

JBucc
05-01-2007, 12:52 PM
I bet the Pats sign him.

doomy3
05-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I bet the Pats sign him.

They could use another receiver. THey only have like 1000.

I could see him ending up in Indy too

siberian khatru
05-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Now we know why Jarrett was so unenthusiastic toward Keyshawn -- the Panthers probably told Dwayne he was replacing him.

Keyshawn: "I am so excited to have you aboard, man! I can't wait to teach you all I know! We'll be hanging out together, we'll be best buds ..."

Jarrett: "Um, yeah, man, uh ..."

Stewie
05-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Too bad they didn't announce this during the draft. That would have been good, AND it would have shut them up for about five seconds during their Brady Quinn circle jerk.

Mecca
05-01-2007, 12:58 PM
I thought Keyshawn was pretty good on ESPN better than most of the other former or current players they have on.

L.A. Chieffan
05-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Who cares, this guy's been pretty overrated for a long time.

tk13
I thought Keyshawn was pretty good on ESPN better than most of the other former or current players they have on.
Eh, he didn't seem that awkward like a lot of players, but he wasn't that insightful. Every other team needed a WR.

doomy3

I agree. Other than his interviewing skills. That was dreadful.

chagrin
05-01-2007, 01:03 PM

Actually, he hasn't been overrated for years, since he arrived in Tampa - after his 1st year there be stopped being hyped almost totally.

Mecca
05-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Eh, he didn't seem that awkward like a lot of players, but he wasn't that insightful. Every other team needed a WR.

Nothing beats when they showed Yamon Figures returning that kick and he goes "look it's Tedd Ginn" I about died laughing.

Sure-Oz
05-01-2007, 01:07 PM
What was the exchange between Jarrett and MeShawn? Key is a good possession wr, def. overhyped coming to TB.

The Bad Guy
05-01-2007, 01:10 PM
I'd take him.

The Chiefs had an interest last year, I bet they have one again.

He wasn't too bad last year.

L.A. Chieffan
05-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Actually, he hasn't been overrated for years, since he arrived in Tampa - after his 1st year there be stopped being hyped almost totally.
Then how come I'm hearing about this. And when Gruden cut him. And when Carolina signed him, etc,etc.
Overrated, overexposed pretty much the same thing.

Mecca
05-01-2007, 01:13 PM
It's pretty bad when a guy who has almost 700 career catches is thought of as "eh he kinda sucked"

Amnorix
05-01-2007, 01:15 PM
I bet the Pats sign him.

It would not surprise me. Honestly. BB and him get along very well from their Jets days. He's spoken well of him. And he's a great blocker downfield.

That said, I think we're a bit choked at the position. :eek:

Frazod
05-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I'd take him.

In a heartbeat I'd take him. GO GET HIM CARL!

Sure-Oz
05-01-2007, 01:25 PM
he'd be a solid additon to our crappy WR corp, maybe he could help Bowe out.

noa
05-01-2007, 01:29 PM
I would be ecstatic if we picked him up for a reasonable price. We would have a good balance between deep threats (Kennison and Parker/Webb/Hannon) and possession receivers (Bowe, Keyshawn, and TG). I wonder what kind of money he'll be asking for.

Sure-Oz
05-01-2007, 01:30 PM
I would be ecstatic if we picked him up for a reasonable price. We would have a good balance between deep threats (Kennison and Parker/Webb/Hannon) and possession receivers (Bowe, Keyshawn, and TG). I wonder what kind of money he'll be asking for.
Id prefer Parker and his ****ed up earring gone

chagrin
05-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Then how come I'm hearing about this. And when Gruden cut him. And when Carolina signed him, etc,etc.
Overrated, overexposed pretty much the same thing.

You're hearing about it because he made a big name for himself in the beginning of his career, and for several years afterwards he was still a big impact player. You heard about him being cut from Tampa because to that point nobody had ever been "fired" from a team after being sat on the bench while earning that enormous paycheck each week, after yelling in his coache's face on national TV. I don't recall him being hyped when Carolina signed him, but maybe he was.

that's all I'm sayin

chagrin
05-01-2007, 01:34 PM

You make a decent point there, I only worry about Damon getting them the ball, or that dude who has all of 1 year play calling experience, making good use of all 3 receivers.

L.A. Chieffan
05-01-2007, 01:35 PM
You're hearing about it because he made a big name for himself in the beginning of his career, and for several years afterwards he was still a big impact player. You heard about him being cut from Tampa because to that point nobody had ever been "fired" from a team after being sat on the bench while earning that enormous paycheck each week, after yelling in his coache's face on national TV. I don't recall him being hyped when Carolina signed him, but maybe he was.

that's all I'm sayin
He's the Barbaro of WRs

Frankie
05-01-2007, 01:40 PM
It's funny. On Saturday on the tube Keyshon was going to town on how he was gonna groom Jarrett to "replace me!" ROFL

trndobrd
05-01-2007, 01:51 PM
It's funny. On Saturday on the tube Keyshon was going to town on how he was gonna groom Jarrett to "replace me!" ROFL

Good Job Keyshawn!

Frankie
05-01-2007, 01:58 PM
I bet the Pats sign him.
Meshawn and Moss in the same WR group? That would be the only way NE won't get back to the SuperBowl.

Frazod
05-01-2007, 01:58 PM
He's the Barbaro of WRs

Jmart will be along shortly to threaten your life. :)

El Jefe
05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
I remember on draft day he was talking about how much he would teach Jarrett. Wonder where he'll end up?

Thats the first thing I thought of too, isnt it ironic lol.

Mr. Laz
05-01-2007, 02:01 PM
I'd take him.

didn't we just draft him?

CoMoChief
05-01-2007, 02:02 PM

Keyshawn had very good presence on the camera I thought. Waaaaay more than Berman at least. And ESPECIALLY more than Michael Irvin.

HemiEd
05-01-2007, 02:33 PM
OMG, that is hilarious given his exchange with Jarrett last weekend.
No kidding, and all the bragging he was doing was sickening.

Pestilence
05-01-2007, 02:36 PM
I wonder if the Patriots will sign him...

Molitoth
05-01-2007, 02:38 PM
HAHAHA Keyshawn.

Thig Lyfe
05-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't mind the Chiefs taking a look at him... he gets the job done.

Kennison-Johnson-Bowe would be a pretty good lineup.

BucEyedPea
05-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Yup!

ROFL @ him being released. Punk!

Brock
05-01-2007, 02:59 PM
The panthers just paid him a 3 million dollar roster bonus a month ago. Brilliant.

Gravedigger
05-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Still, Bill Parcells, who coached him in both New York and Dallas, called Johnson one of the best players he's ever coached, and there was no apparent rift between Johnson and Fox in Carolina. When Johnson signed with Carolina, he said he was content being the No. 2 receiver behind star Steve Smith.

This quote is from the ESPN article I think he sounds like a team player although he's not as good as he used to be and everyone remembers his whining last year in that one game against the eagles. Go get him Carl if only for a few years he'll help and be better than Parker and will also let Webb focus on returning kicks instead of suffering the Dante Hall effect.

Deberg_1990
05-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Hes never really been spectacular. Hes always been a decent possesion receiver. I was always shocked he went #1 overall in 96. I guess that was a weak draft that year??

A few players I remember from that year were Eddie George, Marvin Harrison and Eric Moulds...

AZORChiefFan
05-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Yep.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 05:36 PM
#1 Kennison
#2 Johnson

#3 Bowe
#4/slot Webb

Situational: Hannon

Going from one of the worst WR cores to a potentially top 10 core in one offseason? Priceless.

Mecca
05-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Hes never really been spectacular. Hes always been a decent possesion receiver. I was always shocked he went #1 overall in 96. I guess that was a weak draft that year??

A few players I remember from that year were Eddie George, Marvin Harrison and Eric Moulds...

So I looked it up.....

814 catches.....over 10,000 yards.........

It baffles me how peopole think Keyshawn was never really good, those career stats are excellent.

PinkFloyd
05-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Herm = Jets

K.J. = Jets

Herm + K.J. = CHIEFS !!!!!!!

Never know....

Fruit Ninja
05-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Why are people laughing becuase he got release, you do know he's going to end up somewhere else making money still. May even end up in KC, nobody knows yet. Hell, i would love people to laugh at me makin ga million or whatever a year. Laugh all day and night.

Fruit Ninja
05-01-2007, 06:01 PM
1 N.Y. Jets Keyshawn Johnson WR Southern California
2 Jacksonville Kevin Hardy OLB Illinois
3 Arizona Simeon Rice DE Illinois
4 Baltimore Jonathan Ogden T UCLA
5 N.Y. Giants Cedric Jones DE Oklahoma
6 St. Louis Lawrence Phillips RB Nebraska
7 New England Terry Glenn WR Ohio State
8 Carolina Tim Biakabutuka RB Michigan
9 Oakland Rickey Dudley TE Ohio State
10 Cincinnati Willie Anderson T Auburn

kind of weak, few great players there, but over all, yeah not that great.

Coach
05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Nothing beats when they showed Yamon Figures returning that kick and he goes "look it's Tedd Ginn" I about died laughing.

Well, Figures is faster than Ginn.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Chiefs are opened up for a lot of cap room after taking off the hits for Shields, Wesley, Hall, Green, Hicks, Sims, Knight, Roaf, and Holmes as soon as the cutting date arrives.

This would be a brilliant acquisition for the Chiefs.

GO CARL GO

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Guys, we don't need Keyshawn. If we wanted him, last year was the year. Webb needs to get ON THE FIELD.

PinkFloyd
05-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Chiefs are opened up for a lot of cap room after taking off the hits for Shields, Wesley, Hall, Green, Hicks, Sims, Knight, Roaf, and Holmes as soon as the cutting date arrives.

This would be a brilliant acquisition for the Chiefs.

GO CARL GO

:clap:

Marcellus
05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
KJ in 2006 had 70 catches and 4 touchdowns with a pretty bad QB (JD was bad last year) throwing to him.

What did our no. 2 reciever have? (not including TG)

Mecca
05-01-2007, 06:43 PM
It's funny cause Key is probably the exact kind of WR Herm wants in our system of offense........

I really don't think Jeff Webb should affect roster moves....

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 06:44 PM
It's funny cause Key is probably the exact kind of WR Herm wants in our system of offense........

I really don't think Jeff Webb should affect roster moves....

I do. We need to see what Webb AND Hannon can do on the field IMMEDIATELY.

Deberg_1990
05-01-2007, 06:46 PM
So I looked it up.....

It baffles me how peopole think Keyshawn was never really good, those career stats are excellent.

oh thats right.....your the USC pimp...

I never said he was a bad reciever. Just not spectacular. Hes always been solid. Hes never been "special" which is what you think of when you think of a number 1 overall draft pick. Plus, hes played in a pass happy era, which would further de-value his accomplisments in my eyes.

Mecca
That shitty Samie Parker guy can always be cut........

Personally I know this sounds bad for the kinda offense we are now Key>Kennison.

Either way Webb at best is the 3rd WR, I doubt he's ever a starter.......but for a 6th round pick hey what did you expect.

Mecca
oh thats right.....your the USC pimp...

I never said he was a bad reciever. Just not spectacular. Hes always been solid. Hes never been "special" which is what you think of when you think of a number 1 overall draft pick. Plus, hes played in a pass happy era, which would further de-value his accomplisments in my eyes.

I wish we had a WR with those career stats......the last time we had one of those was um well never.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 06:47 PM
It's called preseason, GC.

It's also called Larry Johnson's welfare.

It's going to take a long time for defenses to say "we need to adjust to Webb" -- a KJ acquisition adjusts the defenses, and will make them at least more honest than they've been before.

LJ's ypc goes up .5 right there.

Douche Baggins
Mecca, surely you realize that signing Key is only a smart move if we're competing for the Super Bowl.

Ultra Peanut
DO YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SCREW THE BREAKERS KEYSHAWN

YOU GET FORKSTABBED

Deberg_1990
05-01-2007, 06:49 PM
I wish we had a WR with those career stats......the last time we had one of those was um well never.

Agreed. I wouldnt mind him on the Chiefs at all and in fact wanted him last year. He has great hands (something the CHiefs have lacked a loooooooong time) and he always keeps the chains moving.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Mecca, surely you realize that signing Key is only a smart move if we're competing for the Super Bowl.
No, it's a smart move if you want to develop a young passer.

It's a smart move if you can't instantly rebuild your OL.

It's a smart move if you can get LJ more yards and spare him stacked defenses.

It's a smart move if you don't want to instantly put everything on Bowe's shoulders.

It's a smart move if you don't believe Webb and Hannon will pan out with 100% certainty.

Mecca
05-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Look Key does the dirty work, if anything you better look at Bowe because he plays like Key does.

If you want a vet WR to show your WR's how to play like that Key is the guy, he's more than willing and is an absolute tough, blocking, go over the middle dirty work WR.

For this offense I'd rather start Key and Bowe than Kennison and Bowe.......Key is one of if not the best blocking/toughest WR in the league.

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 06:52 PM
This is just dumb, half of you want to shortchange LJ but you're willing to give money to an over-the-hill WR who would be lucky to score five touchdowns? Yeah, that's the ticket.

Ultra Peanut
05-01-2007, 06:54 PM
**** Key. I want Biakabutuka.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 06:54 PM
The Panthers released this guy for the same reason they were trying to trade Kris Jenkins. It's situational, they have too many players signed for too much money. They're in good shape now with WRs and figured KJ was expendable since they couldn't get what they liked for Jenkins.

Their loss is our gain. I would take KJ for the same reasons I would've taken Jenkins: a really good player at one position will lighten the load for everybody else. Especially one with the essential and still prime talents of KJ.

I support this acquisition whole-heartedly.

Mecca
05-01-2007, 06:55 PM
This is just dumb, half of you want to shortchange LJ but you're willing to give money to an over-the-hill WR who would be lucky to score five touchdowns? Yeah, that's the ticket.

LOL........if Key gets more than a mill I'd be surprised........

By the way Key still has better hands than any WR on our team.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't want to shortchange LJ. I'm fairly willing to give him half of what he wanted ($40m for 4 years -- $80 for 8 years is the stupidest idea I've ever heard).

Like I said before, KJ has never been a burner, so he's still got the talent left for the things he's good at: good route-running, run blocking, red-zone efficiency, great hands.

The Chiefs cannot have a successful run game without a threatening pass game. And they especially cannot do it with the OL we have this season.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 07:09 PM
I know you're reading this, Carl.

You read me when we went for Jenkins.

I will **** your mother if you don't at least try on this.

I'll probably do it anyway, but if I see news that we're courting KJ, I'll do my best to make it romantic.

listopencil
05-01-2007, 07:53 PM
You guys could use him. Let him run short routes and your young QB gets another safety valve. What's not to like?

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 07:55 PM
You guys could use him. Let him run short routes and your young QB gets another safety valve. What's not to like?

Stunting the development of our young wide receivers.

listopencil
05-01-2007, 07:57 PM

Giving your young receiver someone to beat out instead of being handed a roster spot.

noa
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM

Not really. Webb and Hannon can still be deep threats with Keyshawn on the team. The only one who would be affected is Bowe, and it wouldn't be a terrible thing to have Bowe learn from a guy like Keyshawn.

Mecca
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
It's totally stupid to have a WR who's willing to work with young guys to block and play hard like he does......

It's also stupid to have a WR who blocks as well as any WR in the game and has better hands than any of the ones on your team........

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Bowe's going to be great for 10 years. Kennison has maybe two left, maybe.

Webb/Hannon are burners -- their roles are unique from KJ's. His presense will be irrelevant to how much we see them.

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Webb needs to be the third wide receiver....playing him only in four wide receiver packages isn't a good idea. And it pretty much rules out any chance of Hannon getting on the field.

StcChief
05-01-2007, 08:12 PM
If we have unlimited roster spots, I think a casuality would be a young WR.

KJ ? stop gap.

Buehler445
05-01-2007, 08:12 PM
I honestly don't think it will happen. I hear too much of how we beleive in Hannon and Webb. I think he would be good on the team, but it is just a dream I'm afraid.

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I honestly don't think it will happen. I hear too much of how we beleive in Hannon and Webb. I think he would be good on the team, but it is just a dream I'm afraid.

Then let's SEE if it is a dream. Better sooner than later.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Is it just me or is this whole thing a match made in heaven.

Assume you get KJ. Fair price, everything nice.

You have two aged guys on the team who are quality pros. You have a handful of young bucks with potential. And you have a Pro Bowl WRotF.

The aged guys don't have to carry the team because there will be plenty of solid and promising WRs giving them blows. The young guys don't have to be catapulted into the pressure of adjusting perfectly right away because they'll be sharing reps with the pros.

I just think this could evolve into a great situation for everybody. It'll groom the young guys, it'll maximize the talents of the old guys, and Tony G and LJ might finally get some room to breathe, and the OL can hold up for another year without damning us too much.

I might just be starry-eyed, but I like it.

Brock
05-01-2007, 08:19 PM

You have two aged guys on the team who are quality pros. You have a handful of young bucks with potential. And you have a Pro Bowl WRotF.

It's a pretty good idea, actually.

blueballs
05-01-2007, 08:39 PM
manna

Dolphins | Vick released
Tue, 1 May 2007 16:45:26 -0700

The Associated Press reports the Miami Dolphins have released WR Marcus Vick.

The Bad Guy
05-01-2007, 08:40 PM

Stunting what?

If you're expecting Chris Hannon or Jeff Webb to bust out this year, I hate to break the news to you, but it's not happening. I know you drink the WPI Kool-aid and read all the fluff bullshit put out, but please.

Keyshawn would be a welcome addition. This defense has it's aging players and if we could actually score points, we might have a chance.

Get rid of Parker, Sign Key, use Key, Bowe, Kennison and Webb.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Ugh, really? That interests you?

The Bad Guy
05-01-2007, 08:42 PM
It's totally stupid to have a WR who's willing to work with young guys to block and play hard like he does......

It's also stupid to have a WR who blocks as well as any WR in the game and has better hands than any of the ones on your team........

But, but..

We have Chris Hannon. You know, he's really fast, didn't do shit in college, but he's really fast.

blueballs
05-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Vick can stomp heads
almost as well as Gathers

Coach
05-01-2007, 08:48 PM
manna

Prison | Vick released

The Associated Press reports the Miami Penal Prision have released Marcus Vick.

Fixed.

OnTheWarpath58
05-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Webb needs to be the third wide receiver....playing him only in four wide receiver packages isn't a good idea. And it pretty much rules out any chance of Hannon getting on the field.

I agree, GC, but that means either Eddie or Parker are out.

No way we spend a 1st on a WR and he doesn't start.

OnTheWarpath58
05-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Stunting what?

If you're expecting Chris Hannon or Jeff Webb to bust out this year, I hate to break the news to you, but it's not happening. I know you drink the WPI Kool-aid and read all the fluff bullshit put out, but please.

Keyshawn would be a welcome addition. This defense has it's aging players and if we could actually score points, we might have a chance.

Get rid of Parker, Sign Key, use Key, Bowe, Kennison and Webb.

On second thought, I llke that A LOT.

Especially if Webb is going to be our kick/punt returner.....

EDIT: Plus he can actually catch the ball and block, something Parker either can't do or isn't willing to do.

Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have yet another Johnson on the team.....

pikesome
05-01-2007, 09:03 PM

The aged guys don't have to carry the team because there will be plenty of solid and promising WRs giving them blows. The young guys don't have to be catapulted into the pressure of adjusting perfectly right away because they'll be sharing reps with the pros.

I just think this could evolve into a great situation for everybody. It'll groom the young guys, it'll maximize the talents of the old guys, and Tony G and LJ might finally get some room to breathe, and the OL can hold up for another year without damning us too much.

I might just be starry-eyed, but I like it.

You know, the more I taste your Kool Aid the more I think I like it. The only problem would be if it forced us to cut a WR we want to keep to fit the roster. Eddie, Bowe, KJ, Webb, Hannon, a UDFA, seems like that might not be so bad.

OnTheWarpath58
05-01-2007, 09:13 PM
You know, the more I taste your Kool Aid the more I think I like it. The only problem would be if it forced us to cut a WR we want to keep to fit the roster. Eddie, Bowe, KJ, Webb, Hannon, a UDFA, seems like that might not be so bad.

I'm sorry, I don't see this "problem" you speak of......

:p

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 09:20 PM
I agree, GC, but that means either Eddie or Parker are out.

No way we spend a 1st on a WR and he doesn't start.

Uh, Parker is DEFINITELY out. Screw him.

We NEED to see if Webb or Hannon can hack it. Keyshawn prevents us from doing that.

listopencil
05-01-2007, 09:21 PM
manna

Dolphins | Vick released

The Associated Press reports the Miami Dolphins have released WR Marcus Vick.

Maybe his idiot brother will hire him to carry the stash.

noa
05-01-2007, 09:29 PM
We NEED to see if Webb or Hannon can hack it. Keyshawn prevents us from doing that.

No he doesn't

Halfcan
05-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Pass!

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah he does, by STEALING PLAYING TIME.

This team IS NOT COMPETING FOR THE SUPER BOWL.

We DON'T need an old wide receiver.

Cochise
05-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Maybe his idiot brother will hire him to carry the stash.

Sounds like Michael has a job opening managing his dog farm...

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't get it.

Keyshawn is a completely different WR than Webb or Hannon.

If Herm needs a burner on the left flank for a deep route, it's a no brainer -- you pick one of the boys.

pikesome
05-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Sounds like Michael has a job opening managing his dog farm...

Who do you think was doing it?

noa
05-01-2007, 09:34 PM
We also don't need to play Hannon just so we can see if Mike Nugent's article turned out to be true. I hope we give playing time to either Webb or Hannon, but not both. Giving significant playing time to both those guys is NOT playing to win the game.

Direckshun

I think the Mavericks sucking may be making you grumpy.

listopencil

Yeah, your team would be much better off if opposing defenses can focus more on LJ. Idiot.

Brock
05-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Uh, I'm more interested in seeing if Croyle can play. I don't give a shit about Webb or Hannon. An experienced wide receiver would help Croyle.

Mecca
05-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Key would be great for all our young guys.......the guy actually sounds rather excited about helping younger players.

Bowe would benefit huge he's exactly the kind of player Key is, Key could show him some tricks and finer points.

pikesome
05-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Uh, I'm more interested in seeing if Croyle can play. I don't give a shit about Webb or Hannon. An experienced wide receiver would help Croyle.

This is probably the most important point. I'd like our WRs to show their stuff too but we need Croyle playing and learning more. The idea sounds better and better if it doesn't break the bank.

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah, your team would be much better off if opposing defenses can focus more on LJ. Idiot.

I doubt Keyshawn in the slot is going to open things up all that much. In fact, I'd almost rather have a speedy guy there.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Good point.

The role that KJ could play would upgrade this WR core so much -- imagine going from one of the worst 3 WR lineups to deep into the top 10 in one offseason.

That kind of progress sends repercussions throughout the entire offense. Tony can breathe. Croyle gets good WRs to break him in. God forbid our OL doesn't get barraged and LJ averages 4.7 ypc.

2006 WRs

#1 Eddie Kennison
#2 Samie Parker
#3 Dante Hall

2007 WRs

#1 Eddie Kennison
#2 Keyshawn Johnson
#3 Dwayne Bowe

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 09:48 PM
We also don't need to play Hannon just so we can see if Mike Nugent's article turned out to be true. I hope we give playing time to either Webb or Hannon, but not both. Giving significant playing time to both those guys is NOT playing to win the game.

Putting Hannon in as the 4th wide receiver isn't "significant."

Burying him on the depth chart guarantees he'll get almost ZERO opportunities next year.

I'm guessing the Chiefs won't make a run at Keyshawn anyway. They agree with me. :harumph:

noa
05-01-2007, 09:49 PM
I doubt Keyshawn in the slot is going to open things up all that much. In fact, I'd almost rather have a speedy guy there.

I think sending TG and Keyshawn over the middle (plus Bowe every now and then) would open up a lot. I get that you are high on Webb and Hannon, but they have proven absolutely nothing to give us such confidence in them. Give one of them the opportunity this year and build on that, but I don't see why we should discount potential help from free agents just for these two guys. And yes, I do realize we aren't going to the Super Bowl this year. I also realize that Herm is our coach and won't just quit before the season starts.

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 09:49 PM
If we were going to keep Green I'd be all for this...but we're not.

noa
05-01-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm guessing the Chiefs won't make a run at Keyshawn anyway. They agree with me. :harumph:

Well you should talk them into it. Tell them that Mecca, Direckshun, listopencil, Brock and I all vouch for the guy.

listopencil
05-01-2007, 09:52 PM

Having WR's that the D believes might make the tough catch opens things up.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 09:53 PM
I'd think you'd believe the other way around.

Trent's a Pro Bowler and he can make do with new guys learning the ropes.

Croyle's far from the tested pro that Trent is and we're not exactly blanketing him with our OL -- I'd think you'd support helping Croyle in every way possible. Develop him by giving him a pair of the better hands in the league and a red zone monster.

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 09:53 PM
I get that you are high on Webb and Hannon, but they have proven absolutely nothing to give us such confidence in them.

I have ZERO confidence in Webb and Hannon.

They need to be given a chance to earn that confidence.

Give one of them the opportunity this year and build on that

Making ONE of them the FOURTH wide receiver is hardly an pportunity.

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 09:55 PM
I'd think you'd believe the other way around.

Trent's a Pro Bowler and he can make do with new guys learning the ropes.

LOL

No, if Trent starts, it's clear the Chiefs are trying to win NOW. In that case, Keyshawn can help them more than Webb or Hannon.

If the Chiefs are trying to win now, by ALL MEANS, get Keyshawn. Otherwise, no.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Tell them that Mecca, Direckshun, listopencil, Brock and I all vouch for the guy.
<-------------

The bandwagon's on.

luv
05-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Okay, I'm looking forward to reading this one more in depth later. To me, a GoChiefs/Direckshun debate on the issue would be informative and entertaining.

Rausch
05-01-2007, 10:00 PM
LOL

No, if Trent starts, it's clear the Chiefs are trying to win NOW. In that case, Keyshawn can help them more than Webb or Hannon.

Which years are the Chiefs not trying to win again?...

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 10:01 PM
LOL

Weeeeeeeeeeell..... not necessarily.

I'm building for at least the next three years. The last thing I want to do for Croyle is Ryan Leaf him by feeding him to the wolves with Kennison and a handful of guys who've seen practically zero NFL action.

Croyle is an NFL quarterback, and a pretty skilled one at that.

The difference between Ryan Leaf and Philip Rivers is confidence. The key factor in there is that Rivers is engulfed in prime talent at San Diego, and Leaf was lowered into a dungeon.

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Rivers had less talent at WR last year than we have this year.

Rausch
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM

If we're going to go Croyle we definitely need to give him all the weapons we can. At this age MeShawn doesn't have the speed or quickness he did but he can be a dependable target when he's not pouting...

Rausch
05-01-2007, 10:03 PM

You lost your religon AND your sanity...

Douche Baggins
05-01-2007, 10:03 PM
I'll pledge my undying love for the Oakland Raiders if we sign Keyshawn Johnson.

pikesome
05-01-2007, 10:04 PM
I'll pledge my undying love for the Oakland Raiders if we sign Keyshawn Johnson.

No you won't.

Rausch

Too late.

You already had to after we drafted a kicker...

noa

Hey, if we've got another Phillip Rivers on our hands here, then screw Keyshawn. Something makes me think that Croyle might need a little more help than Rivers did.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Okay, I'm looking forward to reading this one more in depth later. To me, a GoChiefs/Direckshun debate on the issue would be informative and entertaining.
OH ITS STILL GOING BABY

A slapfight of the highest magnitude...

Mecca
05-01-2007, 10:11 PM
I hope GoChiefs is about as spot on with this as he was about us drafting a kicker.

Direckshun
05-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Than just imagine how much Croyle's going to kick ass when we get KJ.

C'mon, GC.

You love it.

You know you do.

Your boys Webb & Hannon, potential studs that they are, get two great tutors instead of one.

All 11 defenders engulf KJ in the red zone, allowing Hannon to make a spectacular one-handed grab in the corner for 6.

And everybody hails you, GoChiefs, as the hero.

It'll happen.

And your penis will get longer.

Carrie Underwood will fly through the television screen and ask you to prove it!

We'll ALL be angels in the afterworld!

THE LION WILL LAY WITH HIS PREY, AND EAT HAY LIKE THE COW

THE DOLLAR WILL RISE AGAINST THE YEN

THE HOT STAYS HOT

THE COLD STAYS COLD

WE'LL ALL HAVE MORE COWBELL

pikesome
05-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Than just imagine how much Croyle's going to kick ass when we get KJ.

C'mon, GC.

You love it.

You know you do.

Your boys Webb & Hannon, potential studs that they are, get two great tutors instead of one.

All 11 defenders engulf KJ in the red zone, allowing Hannon to make a spectacular one-handed grab in the corner for 6.

And everybody hails you, GoChiefs, as the hero.

It'll happen.

And your penis will get longer.

Carrie Underwood will fly through the television screen and ask you to prove it!

We'll ALL be angels in the afterworld!

THE LION WILL LAY WITH HIS PREY, AND EAT HAY LIKE THE COW

THE DOLLAR WILL RISE AGAINST THE YEN

THE HOT STAYS HOT

THE COLD STAYS COLD

WE'LL ALL HAVE MORE COWBELL

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Now I know why I stayed up tonight. :)

Mecca
05-01-2007, 10:20 PM
And we need someone who went to USC on the roster, it helps.........

luv
05-01-2007, 10:28 PM
I am a supporter of starting Croyle, myself. If KJ helps out in that scenario, then I'm for it. Even if we only sign him for a few years. If we have the salary cap room coming open in the future, then we'll be able to replace him.

Rausch
05-01-2007, 10:30 PM
And we need someone who went to USC on the roster, it helps.........

The girl in the middle!

Dammit Carl! :cuss:

luv
05-01-2007, 10:30 PM
The girl in the middle!

Dammit Carl! :cuss:
ROFL

Chiefs Pantalones
05-01-2007, 11:08 PM
he'd be a solid additon to our crappy WR corp, maybe he could help Bowe out.

I'd rather have Keyshawn teach Bowe, than Eddie "inconsistent" Kennison.

Kennison- Alright, Dwayne, you gotta make sure you drop passes in crucial situations, ok?

Bowe- Uh, what?

Kennison- It's what I do, and my job is safe. So the question you have to ask yourself is: Do I want to have job security? Well...do you, Dwayne?

luv
05-01-2007, 11:50 PM
I was thinking I would have missed more in the last hour and a half than this. What happened???

Gravedigger
05-01-2007, 11:56 PM
I do. We need to see what Webb AND Hannon can do on the field IMMEDIATELY.

I believe that Jeff Webb is a badass that we haven't seen other than last preseason and I'm excited to see him on the field. I don't know too much about Hannon personally just that everyone keeps talking about him. BUT STILL Keyshawn should come here if only for a year or so to be a distraction or a third option reciever. He would take the focus from the linebackers and possibly corners so D Bo Tony G and Webb can open up the 25-30 yard range while Keyshawn and Kennison, being older and all, can make a juke or two to get the secondaries attention.

RedThat
05-02-2007, 12:38 AM
I'd take him.

Yeah me too. I'd take him as well. The only thing Im not too fond about is his age. He is 35. But still a pretty consistent receiver.

Id make this move based on a few circumstances:

1)As a mentor to help out the young guys. Bowe and Webb.

2)As an insurance policy. Never know if Bowe doesn't pan out, it's always good to have a proven guy there? Plus, he gives us added depth and could possibly give us a good trio of WRs.

*But, on the other hand, after seeing his reputation in the way he was in Tampa as always wanting to be the guy who wants the ball to make plays. I wonder if he would accept as lesser role at this stage of his career?

RedThat
05-02-2007, 12:41 AM
But, but..

We have Chris Hannon. You know, he's really fast, didn't do shit in college, but he's really fast.

LOL

RedThat
05-02-2007, 12:46 AM
So I looked it up.....

Oh he was a pretty consistent receiver throughout his career. No doubt.

And he is still averaging 70 catches a year. Not too shabby.

Fruit Ninja
05-02-2007, 12:53 AM
Alot better then Sammie's 35 a year. lol

RedThat
05-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Alot better then Sammie's 35 a year. lol

Double the production. And 20 times tougher.

htismaqe
05-02-2007, 07:27 AM
I am a supporter of starting Croyle, myself. If KJ helps out in that scenario, then I'm for it. Even if we only sign him for a few years. If we have the salary cap room coming open in the future, then we'll be able to replace him.

PRECISELY how I feel about it. :thumb:

King_Chief_Fan
05-02-2007, 07:39 AM

And this year the Chiefs have less QB. What is your point?

kepp
05-02-2007, 07:40 AM
I've never been a big KJ fan, but having a "wiley" veteran to teach young guys and adding competition to the WR corps is never a bad idea IMO. Just my $0.02

jAZ
05-02-2007, 08:39 AM
I'd take Keyshawn over Rod Gardner... At least I'd sign Keyshawn with the purpose of having him beat out Rod Gardner in TC.

What did Gardner (or any of our several lackluster WR's) do that was better than Keyshawn last year?

Frankie
05-02-2007, 08:45 AM
No, it's a smart move if you want to develop a young passer.

It's a smart move if you can't instantly rebuild your OL.

It's a smart move if you can get LJ more yards and spare him stacked defenses.

It's a smart move if you don't want to instantly put everything on Bowe's shoulders.

It's a smart move if you don't believe Webb and Hannon will pan out with 100% certainty.
All true.

Frankie
05-02-2007, 08:50 AM
I haven't read ALL of the arguments here. But if there's ever time to give money to an over-the-hill WR with a great resume for one year it is now. We have all these young hopefuls that could learn a thing or two from KJ and we are comfortably under the cap.

jAZ
05-02-2007, 09:11 AM
I don't think it makes a great deal of sense to force an inexperienced QB count on an inexperienced, underperforming or unknown collection of WRs.

I'd much perfer to start Kennison, Keyshawn and Gonzo over Kennison, (Fill in a #2) and Gonzo.

Keyshawn can't be too expensive.

JBucc
05-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Forget Keyshawn. He's not gonna come here just because he loves Herm so much. He's old and wants to win another SB. He'll go to Chicago or San Diego or something.

pikesome
05-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Forget Keyshawn. He's not gonna come here just because he loves Herm so much. He's old and wants to win another SB. He'll go to Chicago or San Diego or something.

I thought you said he wants to win a SB.

Mr. Laz
05-02-2007, 09:34 AM
I don't think it makes a great deal of sense to force an inexperienced QB count on an inexperienced, underperforming or unknown collection of WRs.

I'd much perfer to start Kennison, Keyshawn and Gonzo over Kennison, (Fill in a #2) and Gonzo.

Keyshawn can't be too expensive.
i imagine Keyshawn with want more than the minimum just for ego's sake.

he'll sign a multi-year deal with a bloated overall number to make it look good. In reality it will be a 1-year/1 million dollar deal.

Direckshun
05-02-2007, 11:12 AM
What?

Did you see him at the Draft? He was thrilled that Jarrett was coming to Carolina.

He was happy in Carolina, and Carolina is neither a big market nor a Super Bowl contender in 2007.

Kansas City would be fine for him, especially if we put him on an offense with three HoFers (LJ, Gonzo, Waters), a possession-oriented mindset (his specialty), and a potential Pro Bowler rookie -- trust me, if he loved the idea of tutoring Jarrett, he's going to treasure tutoring Bowe.

Mile High Mania
05-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Hmm... the Bears could use him as a 1 year gun for hire. Teams that could make some playoff noise would include the Chargers, Chiefs... Seattle now after trading DJax.

Hell, would it shock anyone to see the 49ers give him a shot with their division? That's a team on the rise for sure.

There are at least 10 teams that would be a good fit for his services... hell, I wouldn't mind Denver making a run at him for the right price.

Brock
05-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Teams that could make some playoff noise would include the Chargers, Chiefs

Yeah, ha ha mother****er.

Bowser
05-02-2007, 11:27 AM
If it meant Samie Parker gets the boot if Key came here to play, I'm all for it.

Direckshun
05-02-2007, 11:29 AM
KJ would end Samie Parker's career in Kansas City.

Get on the bandwagon, Bowser.

luv
05-02-2007, 11:37 AM
KJ would end Samie Parker's career in Kansas City.

Get on the bandwagon, Bowser.
Playing off of other people's hope now? :shake:

Direckshun
05-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Playing off of other people's hope now? :shake:
I'm gathering together a fierce army that will storm the beaches of the Truman Sports Complex.

Cochise
05-02-2007, 11:44 AM
As far under the cap as we are, we really wouldn't lose anything giving him a 1-year deal. But since we aren't going to be contending this year, probably, I don't know what the point would be other than to try to win a couple more games.

luv
05-02-2007, 11:46 AM
As far under the cap as we are, we really wouldn't lose anything giving him a 1-year deal. But since we aren't going to be contending this year, probably, I don't know what the point would be other than to try to win a couple more games.
Mentoring?

Cochise
05-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Mentoring?

I don't know how much that actually goes on, how much Keyshawn would do it, or what he can give us in that area that Eddie Kennison wouldn't.

It's probably worth something, but is it worth a million dollars and reducing the snaps of other players on our roster?

Mecca
05-02-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't know how much that actually goes on, how much Keyshawn would do it, or what he can give us in that area that Eddie Kennison wouldn't.

It's probably worth something, but is it worth a million dollars and reducing the snaps of other players on our roster?

Well he sure seemed pumped about helping young guys during the draft.........

Also Bowe is much more of a Keyshawn type player than a Kennison type.

CoMoChief
05-02-2007, 11:54 AM
I'd be all over signing him if we were legit super bowl contenders but we're not, so I'll pass.

luv
05-02-2007, 11:54 AM

Good hands might help Croyle gain more confidence in passing quicker from behind a weaker o-line. Not that Croyle is going to start, even though I'd like to see that.

noa
05-02-2007, 11:55 AM
KFFL lists only one team interested in Keyshawn so far -- the Titans. They might need WR help even more than we do.

Frankie
05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
At this point his value is less for making us contenders and more for tutoring our young WRs and helping out with Croyle's confidence. But If in the process we become contenders that would be gravy.

Direckshun
05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
KFFL lists only one team interested in Keyshawn so far -- the Titans. They might need WR help even more than we do.
"Need" doesn't get you players, though.

Money does. Chiefs are loaded, and Keyshawn really won't even charge that much methinks since KC would be a sweet deal for him.

Mecca
05-02-2007, 12:00 PM
If there was ever a WR to show guys how to block.....and you know Herm wants his WR's to do that.

Direckshun
05-02-2007, 12:07 PM
All those complaining about KJ money, ESPN's John Clayton offers a rebuttal:
It's going to be a tough market for Johnson to find a new home. He's 34. Most of the receiving jobs are taken, and most teams aren't looking for a 34-year-old possession receiver. One possibility could be New Orleans, but the Saints recently signed David Patten as their veteran receiver. Odds are the Saints won't sign him. Johnson's next job could be at the NFL minimum of $820,000, and Johnson might not be interested in waiting for a receiver to get injured in minicamp or training camp just to get the minimum.

luv
05-02-2007, 12:07 PM
I'd be all over signing him if we were legit super bowl contenders but we're not, so I'll pass.
How do expect to ever get to be Super Bowl contenders is we always pass up good key players that could help strengthen our team?

Sure-Oz
05-02-2007, 12:12 PM
All those complaining about KJ money, ESPN's John Clayton offers a rebuttal:
We probably have the worst WR corp in the NFL, no reason we can't sign him to a 2 year deal or something.

htismaqe
05-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Keyshawn for league minimum?

We better be all over that shit!

listopencil
05-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Minimum would be $820,000? Just offer him a two year deal at $1MIL per with incentives.

King_Chief_Fan
05-02-2007, 02:29 PM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/1608

looks like MeShawn has other interested parties. Chiefs were not mentioned.