Shealy to the 15 day DL

also musser was called up and braun sent down

PBJ

Eric
05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
nice

CoMoChief
05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Shealy should be sent down simply because of that sissy attempt to score at home in yesterday's game.

cmh6476
05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Shealy should be sent down simply because of that sissy attempt to score at home in yesterday's game.
i think thats when he was injured. 810 didnt say if Butler was in the lineup tonight or not, just that he was in town and called up.

Sure-Oz
05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Sweet, this should help alot, maybe help gordon having one of his buddies up as well.

Fish
05-01-2007, 03:46 PM
woot......

MVChiefFan
05-01-2007, 03:47 PM
It's Billy Ballgame time!!!!!! Coming out of spring training you couldn't have convinced me that we had 13 better hitters on our major league roster. But hey, I know he's young and probably needs some polishing. Anyway, I hope he plays well and sticks. I would imagine he will play, I don't think they call him up from AAA just to sit. They could have done that with Gathright or Costa.

Sure-Oz
05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Where does he start LF while Gload is at 1b?

GoHuge
05-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Come on Billy! I doubt he's gonna fix it all, but it will give me a reason to watch past the 6th inning. It's a great game until the bullpen is opened up.

MVChiefFan
05-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Where does he start LF while Gload is at 1b?

That's what I would imagine. Get Emil "190 avg. somethin"" Brown out of there!

sedated
05-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Gload at 1st
Sanders, DeJesus, Teahan in OF
Butler as DH

Pitt Gorilla
05-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Gload at 1st
Butler as DH
That's how I see it, unless Sweeney DHs and Gload plays left (or sits with Sanders in right).

cmh6476
05-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Gload at 1st
Butler as DH

yeah but 810 says we are like 8-12 with sweeney in the lineup and 0-6 or 0-8 with him out :shrug:

siberian khatru
05-01-2007, 04:04 PM
What's the point? The only reason to call up Butler is to get him in fulltime. No need to do that now.

Is Butler gonna play every day? If not, no reason for him to be up.

When Shealy is healthy, Butler goes back? That was a waste. Are we gonna treat him like we did Huber? That worked out well.

We've already got a glut in the OF. Why not call up Berroa, so we can PH for Pena late in games? Or if you need an OF, why not call up Costa? IIRC, he's hitting well, and he'd be better in spot duty than Butler.

I'd rather give more ABs to Brown and Sanders and try to raise their trade value than either dump them on the bench or have them split time with Butler.

Just looks like a panic move to me. An Allard Baird move.

cmh6476
05-01-2007, 04:04 PM
batting 7th tonight in LF

GoHuge
05-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Gload at 1st
Butler as DHYou know I would love to see that, but Petro brought up an interesting point today. The Royals are 0-6 when Sweeney is out. Maybe just a kwinky dink. :shrug:

Sure-Oz
05-01-2007, 04:08 PM
I am excited to see this kid play, maybe just maybe this will be fulltime, it damn well better be if they are going to bring him now.

eazyb81
05-01-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm excited to see the kid play, but this appears to be a panic move.

Has he turned 21 yet?

Cochise
05-01-2007, 04:10 PM
I agree with siberian 100%. I don't like this.

Maybe his bat is ready for the majors - we heard that about Gordon too - but he's awful in the field, and we don't have a spot for him every day like siberian says. The only way I see this working is if Butler can play 1B, then he could get into the lineup at Shealy's expense instead of others, but I don't know if he can play 1B.

This reeks of the Huber situation, where we called him up to ride the bench for 2 weeks.

I don't think this is a good idea unless we are going to make damn sure we get him in the lineup every day. There's no need for a young guy to be up in KC if he's not going to play. He'd do better in Omaha in the lineup than in KC on the bench.

Hopefully they know what they are doing.

cmh6476
05-01-2007, 04:10 PM
dayton on 810:

will primarily play LF, may play some at 1B, will DH some. Will play where the opportunity presents itself.

Want to get his bat in the lineup and let him produce. Will continue to work on defense in the majors, just as he would in Omaha.

Impression from dayton is that he's gonna play.

cmh6476
05-01-2007, 04:11 PM
I am excited to see this kid play, maybe just maybe this will be fulltime, it damn well better be if they are going to bring him now.
810 seems to think he's here to stay

cmh6476
05-01-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm excited to see the kid play, but this appears to be a panic move.

Has he turned 21 yet?

dayton said on the radio it's absolutely not :shrug:

They said they feel good with their starting pitching, just need some more pop int he bats and are hoping he can provide some of that

eazyb81
05-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Just looked - NO TV TONIGHT!!!

:cuss:

cmh6476
05-01-2007, 04:23 PM

GB internet friends letting you borrow their mlb.tv password!#@ PBJ

sedated
05-01-2007, 04:27 PM
if he can play 1st and produce, great, he'd be an upgrade over Shealy.

but him in LF just creates more of a log-jam. Sanders, Brown, Teahan, Butler all in corner OF spots.

can't use any of them for DH since we got Sweeney

too many bats is a better problem than not enough I guess :shrug:

chiefsfan987
05-01-2007, 05:13 PM

810 is giving away several free tickets for those who want to go see it in person. I was only half paying attention to where they said to go get them though. I just heard something about a drive thru and you didn't even have to get out of your car to get the tickets.

Valiant
05-01-2007, 05:40 PM
That's what I would imagine. Get Emil "190 avg. somethin"" Brown out of there!

His bat has been sucking, but he has been pretty decent in the field...

POND_OF_RED
05-01-2007, 05:43 PM
This is a smart move IMO. There is no way we can compete with the teams in our division so why not bring him up to get a solid year under his belt. I mean our hitting can't get much worse. I may be a homer but I have high hopes for this team. If Elarton and Hudson can come back strong from the DL that would give us a pretty solid rotation with Meche, Greinke, De La Rosa, Elarton, and Hudson. Then Bannister and Perez move to middle relief where I think they could do much better at. Dotel should be ready soon moving Soria back to a late reliever making our bullpen decent again. Our lineup has great potential too if Butler can produce like he has in the minors. Trade away Sweeney for a couple key bullpen additions and we've got a good team all at the right age to build a competitive team around. This is how I see our lineup developing. DeJesus(CF), Grudz(2B), Teahen(RF), Butler(DH), Gordon(3B), Gload(1B), Buck(C), Brown(LF), and Pena(SS). Like I said, nothing is to be expected this year but I believe if these guys get experience playing around each other for a year we can at least compete over the next few years. Let's just hope Butler can keep his numbers the way they are in the majors as well. GO ROYALS!

Chris Meck
05-01-2007, 05:59 PM
well, we need the bat, but I don't think it's a good idea to move the kid around a bunch.

Put him in left and bat him 7th or so until he warrants a higher spot. You could rotate him with Sweeney at DH every other day, and put Sweeney at 1B every other day.

Sanders can still hit and is a good citizen but he's 40. On Butler's field days he can sit, PH, or maybe give Teahen a day off.

cmh6476
05-01-2007, 08:27 PM
i see his 1st MLB AB was a hit :shrug:

cookster50
05-01-2007, 09:05 PM
For those that think he rides the bench, interview with Bell said he would play. Bell thinks it is not just a temporary thing either.

PinkFloyd
05-01-2007, 09:12 PM
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070501&content_id=1940584&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

Coach
05-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Well, they got 5 runs, but the Angels are winning.

Dammit Dayton! :cuss:

Cochise
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Butler is 2-4 tonight, maybe calling him up was a good idea after all!

7-5 Angels, Butler at second, Buck at first, Pena at the bat. 1 out, bottom 8

Coach
05-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Butler is 2-4 tonight, maybe calling him up was a good idea after all!

7-5 Angels, Butler at second, Buck at first, Pena at the bat. 1 out, bottom 8

Annnnnnnnnd, no dice.

Top of 9th.

Sure-Oz
05-01-2007, 10:14 PM
We lost but hopefully Butler will be the spark we need, Gordon needs to get going as well...those two raked AA together so maybe they can fuel each other again.

Cochise
05-01-2007, 10:22 PM
We lost but hopefully Butler will be the spark we need, Gordon needs to get going as well...those two raked AA together so maybe they can fuel each other again.

I was thinking that some competition might help. I think the attitude with Gordon has been "we know this guy can hit, we're going to just hand him the job and not worry if he struggles, he'll come along eventually."

Having someone else who's in the same position - a young, highly regarded prospect - giving a little friendly competition might help challenge him a little bit.

petegz28
05-01-2007, 10:24 PM
The umps hosed us all night. Aside from that we strike out way to ****ing much. Sweeney swings at the first strike every time, Gordon looks lost at the plate, Buck is starting to look like Buck and Bell is starting to really piss me off

Halfcan
05-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Kid is going to be good!

petegz28
05-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Butler looked good at the plate. Gordon looks lost.

Sure-Oz
05-02-2007, 02:26 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/91349.html

Posted on Wed, May. 02, 2007
Billy Butler called up
Decision is made to bolster the attack, but it is ‘not a panic move,’ says Moore.
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

The gee-whiz quality in Billy Butler is rarely hard to spot. So it’s no surprise he spent his first major-league moments Tuesday afternoon veering about the Royals’ clubhouse simply “because I can.”

Or that he referred to the call earlier in the day informing him of his promotion as the “greatest moment so far in my life.” The “so far” part carries emphasis.

Much is expected from Butler in the years ahead.

“When you see a kid who hits like that,” manager Buddy Bell said, “you always want to push the envelope. There are always some checks and balances, but this was a chance to bring him up and see what he can do.”

That chance occurred when the Royals deemed a hamstring injury to first baseman Ryan Shealy was sufficiently severe to require time on the disabled list. The club also swapped relievers with Class AAA Omaha, recalling lefty Neal Musser and shipping out Ryan Braun.

The moves came as the Royals entered May with baseball’s worst record at 8-18 despite significant improvement from a rotation long viewed as an open wound.

“It’s not a panic move,” general manager Dayton Moore insisted. “We’re 8-18, and we need to get some offense in here. … We believe Billy can add a spark and give us some punch in the lineup right now.”

Butler batted seventh and started Tuesday in left field against the Los Angeles Angels. He punched a single into left field in his first at-bat against former Cy Young winner Bartolo Colon.

“It’s one of those things you remember for the rest of your life,” he said. “You can’t put words to it.”

Butler finished with two hits in four at-bats and, as he predicted, carried none of his pregame anxiety into the game.

“I’m nervous,” he admitted before the game. “I’ve got a lot on my mind right now. But it’s one of those things. You get on the field, and it calms itself.

“It’s when you have a lot of down time, you start thinking of stuff — that I’ve made it to the big leagues and stuff like that. You step on the field, and it’s just another game.”

Butler, 21, is generally viewed as the organization’s top hitting prospect. He is a two-time batting champion in his three previous professional seasons and was batting .337 in 25 games at Omaha with six homers and 23 RBIs.

“There is no question in our mind,” Moore said, “that he is ready to hit in the major leagues.”

Defense is another matter.

Butler was drafted as a third baseman with the 14th overall pick in 2004 but soon shifted to left field because of defensive problems. He began working out this season at first base as the initial step in another possible position change.

“He needs to continue to work on his defense,” Bell said. “There are going to be some plays that he’s not going to make because of his inexperience. He hasn’t had as much work as he needs. There are going to be some growing pains out there.”

One surfaced in the third inning when he turned a routine fly into a shoestring catch.

“It shouldn’t have been a shoestring catch,” he agreed. “I read it all wrong.”

Nonetheless, Butler will be the club’s regular left fielder, which effectively turns veterans Reggie Sanders and Emil Brown into pinch hitters. A trade or other roster move involving one or both now seems a matter of time.

“We’ve got a lot of bodies there,” Moore acknowledged. “Ultimately, that rests on my shoulders as to how to figure it out and make it work.”

Ross Gload will replace Shealy as the regular first baseman, although Bell said Mike Sweeney is likely to fill the role against left-handed pitchers. Sweeney has not played in the field since Aug. 28, 2005.

“It’s not like Mike can’t play there,” Bell said. “The issue is his health. We’ve kept him at DH because we want to keep him as healthy as we can. But this is the best way to manage the situation right now.”

Shealy, 27, suffered a strained left hamstring Monday while trying to score from second base on a single in the second inning. He is ticketed for a rehab playing assignment at Omaha once he recovers in an effort to snap free from a seasonlong slump.

Braun, 26, pitched his way onto the roster with a strong spring but has allowed five runs, five hits and eight walks in 9 1/3 innings over seven appearances.

Technically, Musser replaces Shealy on the roster because Musser didn’t spend 10 days on the Omaha roster after being optioned back to the minors following a brief big-league stay.

Musser, 26, allowed one unearned run in one-third of an inning over two appearances for the Royals. He has yet to allow a run in 13 innings over seven outings at Omaha.

Club officials chose Butler over Omaha teammates Shane Costa and Joey Gathright, who are batting .354 and .309. Costa and Gathright are left-handed hitters and each has previous big-league experience.

“At the end of the day,” Moore said, “we felt (Butler was) the guy who had the most potent bat, and the guy who could have the most impact offensively. It’s really a product of where we are right now offensively. We’re struggling.”

Butler learned the Royals purchased his contract in order to place him on the 40-man roster in a morning call from Omaha manager Mike Jirschele.

“I didn’t believe it,” Butler said. “You kind of think that someone is messing with you, especially at 10 o’clock in the morning. Usually guys get called up after the game.

“It was, probably, the greatest moment so far in my life, that call. Just to know I had gotten the chance to come to the big leagues.”

To reach Bob Dutton, Royals reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4352

Braincase
05-02-2007, 02:48 PM
The umps hosed us all night. Aside from that we strike out way to ****ing much. Sweeney swings at the first strike every time, Gordon looks lost at the plate, Buck is starting to look like Buck and Bell is starting to really piss me off

You're supposed to swing at strikes. Even if you don't swing, a strike is a strike.

petegz28
05-02-2007, 03:02 PM
You're supposed to swing at strikes. Even if you don't swing, a strike is a strike.

Hello when you are a DH you are not supposed to be up there just free swinging at strikes.

Sometimes yes. Everytime no!

You got a guy up there giving up hits left and right why do you go up and swing at the first thing you see?

Well I will let Sweeney's perfromance speak for itself as you tell me I don't knwo what I am talking about.

:banghead:

Meanwhile the Vladiator took one yard on a 3-1 count.

Cochise
05-02-2007, 03:05 PM
If a veteran guy like Mike Sweeney likes the first pitch and wants to swing at it, I've got no problem with that.

wutamess
05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Sweeney is the most overrated player eva.
No difference between Borroa or Sweeney at this point.

Should've given the money to Beltran.
Not the choke artist.
I said that back then and I'll say it to this day.

chiefqueen
05-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Well, they got 5 runs, but the Angels are winning.

Dammit Dayton! :cuss:

I wondered how long it would be before Dayton got the CP treatment.