PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a GPS?

kc rush
05-01-2007, 03:12 PM
It looks like I may be doing a bit of traveling in the near future. I am considering purchasing a GPS since I really donít want to stare at a map while driving. Anyone have one? Any recommendations for a good inexpensive one? Iíd like one that gives vocal directions.

Donger
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Garmin Nuvi.

Frazod
05-01-2007, 03:27 PM
I have a Garmin streetpilot. It rocks. I got one of the less expensive models, so the computer voice doesn't actually say the name of the street - it just tells you to the action to take ("turn left" as opposed to "turn left on Main Street"). However, if you can read, this really isn't a problem. Check out amazon.com - that's where I purchased mine, for around $250 a couple of months ago.

These things are great if you are driving in unfamiliar territory, especially in heavy traffic. My wife's not very good with maps, either, so she's not much of a navigator.

Iowanian
05-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Are you wanting a versatile unit you can use for recreation purposes, or one for only vehicle navigation?

What is your price range?

Its hard to go wrong with Trimble, Garmin, Magellan or Lowrance, but there are several good companies out there now.

kc rush
05-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Are you wanting a versatile unit you can use for recreation purposes, or one for only vehicle navigation?

What is your price range?

Its hard to go wrong with Trimble, Garmin, Magellan or Lowrance, but there are several good companies out there now.

It would be for driving, but it needs to be something portable since I'll be flying and renting cars. Any suggestions for a $200 - $250 range? I wouldn't want to spend more than $300.

I've seen that Tom-Toms are pretty inexpensive, but I've heard that the maps aren't the most up to date.

kc rush
05-01-2007, 03:33 PM
I have a Garmin streetpilot. It rocks. I got one of the less expensive models, so the computer voice doesn't actually say the name of the street - it just tells you to the action to take ("turn left" as opposed to "turn left on Main Street"). However, if you can read, this really isn't a problem. Check out amazon.com - that's where I purchased mine, for around $250 a couple of months ago.

These things are great if you are driving in unfamiliar territory, especially in heavy traffic. My wife's not very good with maps, either, so she's not much of a navigator.

I'll take a look.

Thanks.

Stewie
05-01-2007, 03:38 PM
If you have a PDA (and if you travel you should) don't waste your money on Garmin, Magellan, etc.

I have one of these and it kicks ass. It's more sensitive and very portable.

http://www.buygpsnow.com/navibe-gb735-bluetooth-gps-receiver-sirf-iii-waas-free-arkon-vent-mount-765.aspx

Bearcat
05-01-2007, 03:47 PM

I got one for my dad for Christmas, and he really likes it...

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-StreetPilot-i3-GPS-Navigation-System-P764C1.aspx

I don't remember if this particular model says the street name, but it definitely gets the point across when telling you to turn left.. turn left.. turn left.... :)