PDA

View Full Version : Got some bad news today

Dunit35
05-01-2007, 09:07 PM
We had to take our 13 year old chihuahua to the vet less then two months ago because she had a nice sized tumor on her. They removed it and everything seemed fine. A few weeks later the tumor started growing pretty much in the same spot again. It got removed last week and we sent the tumor in to see if it were cancer or not. Well we got the call today from the vet. She has the most aggresive cancer a dog can get. I can't remember what it is called. They don't know how long she will live but would be surprised if she lasted more then a year.

I guess my mother said she seemed to have problems walking this past weekend after they took it out and I noticed Sunday night she would yelp in her sleep every now and then. She seems to be doing better so far.

KcMizzou
05-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Bummer, man. Sorry to hear it.

Joie
05-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm so sorry. My best wishes to you and your chihuahua. What's her name?

Halfcan
05-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Sorry to hear it dude-that really sucks. Best wishes.

B_Ambuehl
05-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Quit feeding her dog food and feed her fresh meat and eggs. It may not make much of a difference now, but maybe it will. It is the sugar that cancer cells thrive off of, and the wheat, corn, rice, etc. that is in dog food won't help matters any.

Mr. Plow
05-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Man I hate it when dogs die. Now, I have to explain it to children. Man this is going to suck.

Chief Henry
05-02-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm feeling for you man. We had to put down a family about 2 years ago and I was crushed...
The planet members gave me some real good advice and empathy too.

Loosing a pet is very difficult.

Dunit35
05-31-2007, 11:57 PM
Update: After the second surgery on April 30th, she has not been doing good at all. She is getting worse from what my mother says. She yelps a lot and seems to be breathing faster in her sleep, mom says it seems she is having troubles breathing. She limps all the time on the leg where the tumors were next to. My mom is taking her in tomorrow to see how much pain she is in. It's not looking good and seems to be about that time. She called me while I was at lunch last week and told me our dog is doing worse. I had to hold back some tears a few times at work.

It seems like yesterday when I would go to bed and she would immediately crawl under the covers. Following me wherever I would go.

Dunit35
05-31-2007, 11:57 PM
http://photos-995.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v55/121/103/44005197/n44005197_30912995_6538.jpg

Tasha, my 13 year old chihuahua.

Wendychili14
06-01-2007, 12:01 AM
sorry man

RadeAM
06-01-2007, 12:04 AM
yEAH THAT sucKS

Phobia
06-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Dude, 13 years is a good run for a dog. I know it probably doesn't help much, but you had a lot of time with that dog.

Dunit35
06-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Dude, 13 years is a good run for a dog. I know it probably doesn't help much, but you had a lot of time with that dog.

I know, it's just hard to let go of an animal you love.

Kraus
06-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Man, must've been in the air today. My 13 year old black lab was diagnosed with cancer today and was given 1-3 months.

Sucks...

huskerdooz
06-01-2007, 05:26 AM
This is probably not what you want to hear, but it is probably time to think seriously about having her put down. It sucks to think about it but you really don't want her to suffer needlessly. Last november we had to do the same with our blonde Cocker. It was really rough on my kids and was one of the hardest things I've ever had to explain to my kids but it was the right thing to do.

Skip Towne
06-01-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm feeling for you man. We had to put down a family about 2 years ago and I was crushed...
The planet members gave me some real good advice and empathy too.

Loosing a pet is very difficult.
The whole family?

chagrin
06-01-2007, 06:45 AM
Sorry dunit - keep those memories close, dude

mikey23545
06-01-2007, 07:55 AM
My sympathies go out to you, Dunit...Hang in there...

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Sorry Pal.. Best to you and yours during these trying times...

Good luck.

Future35
06-01-2007, 09:34 AM
http://photos-995.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v55/121/103/44005197/n44005197_30912995_6538.jpg

Tasha, my 13 year old chihuahua.
oh yea i took this picture.... you guys look good.... everything will be ok babe just think she wont be in pain anymore.... I LOVE YOU!!!

cadmonkey
06-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Sorry to hear this man. I don't know what I will do when my pup gets sick..

Reerun_KC
06-01-2007, 09:42 AM
oh yea i took this picture.... you guys look good.... everything will be ok babe just think she wont be in pain anymore.... I LOVE YOU!!!

Either your got your wife an account or it is GoChiefs in disguise...

El Jefe
06-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Sorry to hear this man. I don't know what I will do when my pup gets sick..

Well you will do what I did and do what is in the best interest of your dog. Sorry to hear Dunit, just lost mine last Thursday and still having a tuff time getting over it. But the Planet offers a lot of condolences and honestly suprised me with how many people offered words of support. You cant replace your best friend, you just have to remember the good times you have and look forward to the future (as dumb as that may sound).

Future35
06-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Either your got your wife an account or it is GoChiefs in disguise...
Fiance to be exact.... and he didnt get me an account... I got myself an account :)

bogie
06-01-2007, 10:40 AM
It's very sad. Your Pup is lucky to have you. So sorry for the sadness.

El Jefe
06-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Fiance to be exact.... and he didnt get me an account... I got myself an account

I guess she told you ROFL.

Delano
06-01-2007, 10:54 AM
You got a good gal and a gorgeous Husky to get you through. Like Phobia said, 13 years is a long haul for a little terror dog like a chihuahua. Keep your chin up, bud.

Dunit35
06-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Update: The vet said it isn't her time yet. Said she seems to still be happy. She doesn't have any troubles eating and he said she was just wagging her tail all over the place today. He said you can tell when she is ready to go. Her troubles breathing seem to probably be a tumor around her lungs. Unfortantly she probably only has a few weeks left. He said she is in pain but not very much, gave her some pain meds instead of the aspirin my mother has been giving her.

Fruit Ninja
06-02-2007, 01:17 AM
I know, it's just hard to let go of an animal you love.
I know how it goes, We had a cat, he was my partner, since 1988, and he died in 2004. It was rough, This cat would sleep with me every night. He knew when i would go to sleep, he would just come on over n crash out with me. He had to be put to sleep, he had cancer. It sucked. I was bummed for a little while.

gblowfish
06-02-2007, 07:26 AM
I lost one of my favorite kitties back in December from liver cancer.
I miss him every day. He was the greatest.

My wife and I recently adpoted a new homeless pet, and he's great too.
There's so many dogs and cats out there that need a good home,
and never have a chance at a quality life.

We understand your sadness. Nothing anybody can say will make it
any better for awhile.

But I hope you'll consider taking on a new pet at some point.
Good loving homes are hard to find, and there'll be another puppy out there
who'll love an appreciate you and your family very much.

Dunit35
06-02-2007, 07:06 PM
I lost one of my favorite kitties back in December from liver cancer.
I miss him every day. He was the greatest.

My wife and I recently adpoted a new homeless pet, and he's great too.
There's so many dogs and cats out there that need a good home,
and never have a chance at a quality life.

We understand your sadness. Nothing anybody can say will make it
any better for awhile.

But I hope you'll consider taking on a new pet at some point.
Good loving homes are hard to find, and there'll be another puppy out there
who'll love an appreciate you and your family very much.

We bought a Siberian Husky in late April. If we had a bigger space we'd look to adopt another dog, preferably another Husky.

Dunit35
06-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Well unfortanetly I think it's time to say goodbye to my dog. My mother says her breathing problems seem to be a lot worse. She also said she is still eating, but I don't think it's necessary to keep her alive if she's in pain. Hopefully my mom thinks the same thing.

I'm not sure if I will get to see her one last time at the vet (2 hour drive), but I know that she would want to see me one last time. Would you guys drive 2 hours to see her in bad condition, even though you're not loaded with cash?

Everytime I think about never seeing her again I want to tear up but at the same time it's the right thing to do. I know I will drop some tears when I hold her for the last time.

Splat420
06-04-2007, 04:23 PM
That really sucks man sorry to hear that.

Adept Havelock
06-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Well unfortanetly I think it's time to say goodbye to my dog. My mother says her breathing problems seem to be a lot worse. She also said she is still eating, but I don't think it's necessary to keep her alive if she's in pain. Hopefully my mom thinks the same thing.

I'm not sure if I will get to see her one last time at the vet (2 hour drive), but I know that she would want to see me one last time. Would you guys drive 2 hours to see her in bad condition, even though you're not loaded with cash?

Everytime I think about never seeing her again I want to tear up but at the same time it's the right thing to do. I know I will drop some tears when I hold her for the last time.

If you can afford it, do it. It's better than carrying the regret.

My sympathies. Losing a pet is never easy.

greg63
06-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Sorry to hear it bud.

hawkchief
06-04-2007, 06:45 PM

Last fall, my wife and I held and petted our 13 year old lab as he was put to sleep by our vet. My wife thought it would be best for Jake, and I was unsure, as I had never done it before. I can't tell you if you should or shouldn't do it the way we did it, as it was then, and is still, one of the harder things I've ever had to do.

I guess in hindsight I would have regretted not being there for him as he moved on, so I'm glad I was there for him. The difficult part was that he simply lay there and took our love and affection as he had so many times before, yet he had no idea what was happening. Dogs give so much more than they take in life - I guess that's why we appreciate them so very much.

Good luck.

memyselfI
06-04-2007, 08:02 PM

She does not know she is going to see you 'one last time' but you know that you might be seeing her one last time. It all depends on how you will respond to seeing her. Will you become upset and therefore increase her anxiety or will you remain relatively composed thereby assuring her that whatever is happening to her will be 'ok.'

Besides seeing her 'one last time' you need to decide if you want to be there for her last moments or not. Do know it's harder on you than it is on your pet. We've seen people become completely distraught (understandably so) and it makes the entire event so much more dramatic than traumatic and, ideally, that is not how it should be. Of course you can't blame folks for their reponses but having seen all different sorts of reactions to the event I can assure you the ones who remain composed and put the best interest of their pet first are the ones who feel better about the entire awful experience.

I will also tell you that men take the deaths of their dogs alot harder than women seem to. Thus, the staff at the Vets office are not going to be put off if you are upset or distraught. They just hope that you will not be overly so in front of your dog while she is still aware of what is going on.

Best to you whatever you decide. It's hard and it's so very sad no matter how many times you go through it personally or see others have to go through it.

Dunit35
06-04-2007, 08:33 PM
My mom finally got a hold of our vet. He said by the sound of it, shes at the last stage of the cancer. We're putting her to sleep tomorrow morning. I tried to hold my tears in when my mom was telling me because I knew she'd start crying and I couldn't hold them in.

I'm going to go ahead and go because I just know that I would make her happy if I were next to her.

greg63
06-04-2007, 08:39 PM
My mom finally got a hold of our vet. He said by the sound of it, shes at the last stage of the cancer. We're putting her to sleep tomorrow morning. I tried to hold my tears in when my mom was telling me because I knew she'd start crying and I couldn't hold them in.

I'm going to go ahead and go because I just know that I would make her happy if I were next to her.

Nothing anyone can say will ease the hurt bud; putting her to sleep is the absolute best thing you can do for her at this point.

Skip Towne
06-04-2007, 08:40 PM

Yep. Bless you.

Chief Roundup
06-04-2007, 08:43 PM
sorry to hear about this, best to you and those who's lives the dog has touched.

memyselfI
06-04-2007, 08:49 PM

It might not sound like it at the moment but this is the best possible scenario for all involved. We've seen people have a hard time letting go and they pour money and time into trying to make their dying pet better when they are really prolonging the inevitable.

The ups and downs of that situation are draining and while in the midst of it they seem worth it but in retrospect we see so many people say if they had to do it over they would have spared their pet the agony and themselves the expense because the quality of life for both parties was so diminished that it wasn't worth the trade off.

Sure, you'd like as much time as possible with her but from the sounds of it the type of cancer she has is horrible and the decline in health is so difficult to watch. You are truly doing the most loving and humane thing for her.

siberian khatru
06-04-2007, 09:14 PM
The Power of the Dog

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
But when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your hearts to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie -
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk you heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years that nature permits,
Are closing in asthma, or tumor, or fits,
And the Vet's unspoken prescription runs
to lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find - it's your own affair
But - you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent
At compound interest of cent per cent,
For when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short time loan is as bad as a long -
So why in Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

When the body that lived at your single will,
When the whimper of welcome is stilled
(HOW STILL!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,
You soon discover how much you care,
And give your heart to a NEW dog to tear.

RUDYARD KIPLING

Dunit35
06-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Well it happened around 10:30 this morning. Holding her for the last time was really tough. I started crying when I seen her but then took memyselfandI advice and held it in when they put her to sleep. My eyes were watering when I watched them put her to sleep but I knew she was watching me and didn't want her to go thinking I was upset.

All day all I've thought about is her yelping as he was sticking the needle in, she was staring at me as they were doing it. But at the same time I know that even though I am extremely sad about it, it was the best thing to do.

She wasn't breathing very well and I just know that when she went to sleep and went to heaven she could again breathe freely...might sound gay but don't care. It feels like I lost my best friend of 13 years. I didn't live with her anymore and my mom still did so I bet my mom is just tore up. She was buried in our backyard and they put a nice wooden fence around her grave.

Simplex3
06-05-2007, 06:59 PM
That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Demonpenz
06-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I remember the last one looked up at me with eyes of betrayal. Sorry I couldn't protect you this time.

memyselfI
06-05-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Happy memories of her to you always...

Skip Towne
06-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Very touching. I'm sorry for your loss.