PDA

View Full Version : I want to take my kids to Disney World, but

ChiTown
05-02-2007, 09:25 AM
I don't have a lot of vacation time.

I'm looking at a 5 day 4 night type deal. Any suggestions from those that have done the shorter Disney trip are welcome. I'm looking to do this some time in mid July. tks

Brock
05-02-2007, 09:32 AM
I usually check out mousesavers.com.

Saulbadguy
05-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I'd do the dining plan and stay on the resort.

Mr. Plow
05-02-2007, 09:48 AM
There are a lot of Disney World websites out there. the wife and I just decided that we are going to take all our kids to Disney World next year. We went through the Disney World website just to price shop and we can stay on property (most important thing I think), Tuesday-Sunday, 2 adults, 3 kids, tickets to the park for about $1600.

We took the oldest about 5 years ago and he loved it. I've been a total of about 7-10 times in my life and it never gets old. I can maybe answer some questions, let me know if you have any.

Mr. Plow
05-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I haven't looked at this site, but looks like it could have some good info.

Guide to Disney World (http://www.guide2wdw.com/)

Chiefnj
05-02-2007, 09:51 AM
You can do it, no problem. How old are the kids?

If you don't mind paying the money, stay at one of the resorts in one of the parks. The day you fly and check in, hit the resort in the park you are staying at.

Each day one of the parks opens an hour earlier to people staying in the hotels. AVOID THAT PARK. Everyone thinks they are getting a leg up on the general public and everyone goes to that park early. You don't save any time. In fact, it is generally more crowded.

They now have a speed pass system. I forget the exact name, but you buy tickets/passes for rides at a certain time and it lets you cut the line. Being the dad, it will be your job to run around with everyone's swipe card and buy tickets in 30 minute intervals while your wife and kids enjoy the rides. They will get in line for X. You run to ride Z and get tickets for 30 minutes later. You run back to X to find your family getting off the ride, you give them the tix for ride Z and run off to ride Y to get tickets for 30 minutes later. You will be exhausted and will consume overpriced Disney beer all night, but the kids will happy they got to ride on everything.

Make restaurant reservations now.

Mile High Mania
05-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Our family went over Christmas and no matter what you do... it's going to cost you some coin. Eating at Disney or the Disney resorts is crazy expensive.

We took advantage of timeshares that our family has, so we saved $ from that perspective. The good part there... full kitchens, so you can at least plan to have 2 meals there and not pay a ton of money.

Staying off property will be the cheapest, but you never know what types of deals you might find with the meal plans at a resort.

Sorry I'm not much help, but you need to start looking now for July... the availability of cheaper places to stay will dwindle the closer you get to July.

Universal Studios was a lot cheaper and just as much fun in my opinion. You'll have to go to Disney at least for 2 days, but if you have older kids and you guys like "thrill rides"... then Universal is the place to go.

Personally... I think Disney is a bit over rated, but then again... I'm not into the shows and I like thrill rides. But, my kids (three under 5) loved Disney, obviously.

Mile High Mania
05-02-2007, 09:55 AM
IIRC on the "speed pass" deal... it's free at Disney, but you pay an extra $20 or so per ticket for that feature at Universal.

The trick is... you can only do 1 speed pass (Disney) at a time. So, you go to the ride... get your pass at 10am and it says "return anytime from noon to 2pm". Then you can bypass the lines, but once you do that ... you can't get another speedpass until you are done with that ride.

Also, don't let the kids hold their tickets... lose them and you are screwed.

Pneuma
05-02-2007, 09:57 AM
I went a couple years ago...very expensive...everything costs serious cash. I stayed in Orlando and only went to Disney for one day but I had no kids at that time....

Demonpenz
05-02-2007, 09:59 AM
there were some good deals last timeI saw for vegas. On the money yous ave you could get a baby sitter.

BigRedChief
05-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Do a search on here for Disney. When I went there in 2004 I found a lot of great advise in that thread. We ened up spending 8 days in Orlando. Disney, Universal, Sea World etc.

Stay at the All-Star hotels on the property. Kind of a motel 6 room but at $100 a night its still the cheapest. The dining is dormitory style but the property is nice but the most important thing is free transportation to all the parks via the bus.

Mr. Plow
05-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Do a search on here for Disney. When I went there in 2004 I found a lot of great advise in that thread. We ened up spending 8 days in Orlando. Disney, Universal, Sea World etc.

Stay at the All-Star hotels on the property. Kind of a motel 6 room but at $100 a night its still the cheapest. The dining is dormitory style but the property is nice but the most important thing is free transportation to all the parks via the bus.

Being able to travel to all the parks by either boat, tram, or bus is the reason I only stay on property.

Saulbadguy
05-02-2007, 10:36 AM
July is one of the least crowded times at Walt Disney World so lines will be very short compared to the rest of the year. However, it will be hotter than the lower bowels of hell there, and humid.

IMO, with children, i'd stay at the resort and get the dining plan, it will end up saving you $$$ on food and its an easy way to get snacks and things around the park.

I don't think i'd stay at the All-Star resorts because they are very cheap-ish. I'd stay at the Animal Kingdom resort, it has animals you can see from your window. If you really wanna be cheap, go to the campgrounds. Hehe.

If you want to do any character dining, call ahead. Actually, call ASAP and reserve. I don't know if you have girls but the Princess dinner or whatnot fills up months in advance. For non-character dining, I wouldn't worry about reservations since you are going in mid-July.

Saulbadguy
05-02-2007, 10:41 AM
IIRC on the "speed pass" deal... it's free at Disney, but you pay an extra $20 or so per ticket for that feature at Universal.

The trick is... you can only do 1 speed pass (Disney) at a time. So, you go to the ride... get your pass at 10am and it says "return anytime from noon to 2pm". Then you can bypass the lines, but once you do that ... you can't get another speedpass until you are done with that ride.

It's called Fastpass. Insert ticket, get a paper stub.

I'd only do this for the larger rides in every park...

Magic Kingdom -
Space Mountain (breaks alot)
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain

Epcot -
Soarin
Mission Space (DO NOT RIDE THIS RIDE IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH)
Test Track (also breaks alot)

Animal Kingdom -
Exhibition Everest
The Safari thingamabob

Saulbadguy
05-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Also, i'd do one of the water parks in the afternoon in one of your days. Don't do both, it's not really worth it.

I enjoyed blizzard beach more than the other one.

ChiTown
05-02-2007, 10:52 AM
good stuff.

THANK YOU

My kids are 6 and 9 yrs old boys, btw.

Chiefnj
05-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Between the airport and hotel stop at a gas station and buy food, drinks and snacks. Disney kills you on food and snack prices. A personal pan pizza (pizza hut) and a Coke will run you something like $16 bucks.

patteeu
05-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I've heard several people say they'd rather take a Disney Cruise than go to Disney World after experiencing both. I've never been on the cruise so I don't have a personal opinion.

Frosty
05-02-2007, 11:14 AM
If you are planning in doing all of the parks in 4 days, prepare to be exhausted. We went when boys were about the same age as yours. They liked Magic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom the best. I liked MGM and Epcot the best. The boys didn't get much out of Epcot (though my youngest went on Mission:Space three times; it gave me a blinding headache).

I really didn't think that the meals were that expensive. A little more than fast food but on par with a place like Applebee's. it depends a lot on which restaurants you go to, though. It is the snack type things that they kill you on - $5 ice cream cones and $2 20 oz Cokes.

DJJasonp
05-02-2007, 11:16 AM
not sure if mentioned....but allears.net is a great place with reviews of almost everything...food, accommodations, every ride in every park, etc.

Just got back from there a month ago....if you can afford a stay on the property...do it....kids love it...and you can save money by not getting a rental car (if you plan on not leaving the disney area).

Lots to do in that amount of time, but if you plan it ahead of time...you can do it. The new Animal park there is cool (and fun for kids too)...so make sure you leave time for that as well.

Mr. Plow
05-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Wife and I are planning to spend 1 day at both Animal Kingdom & Magic Kingdom. 1/2 days at MGM & Epcot. Play golf & water park the last day.

Man I love vacation golf.

Frosty
05-02-2007, 11:29 AM
If you go to Animal Kingdom, be sure to get there as early as possible and hit the safari ride first thing. The animals are much more active then than later in the day. Also, if you go on the Kali River Rapids ride, prepare to be soaked thoroughly from head to toe. Take a Ziploc bag to put your wallet in.

BigRedChief
05-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't think i'd stay at the All-Star resorts because they are very cheap-ish. I'd stay at the Animal Kingdom resort, it has animals you can see from your window. If you really wanna be cheap, go to the campgrounds. Hehe.
Yeah for $150 a night more you can move to nicer hotel. Whodathunkit?

We didn't spend the time at the hotel. We spent it at the parks. Just a place to sleep and shower. Motel 6 accomendations are okay for that.

Mile High Mania
05-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Space Mountain had to be cool 20 years ago, but... I wouldn't wait 30 minutes again for that thing.

Saulbadguy
05-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Yeah for $150 a night more you can move to nicer hotel. Whodathunkit?

We didn't spend the time at the hotel. We spent it at the parks. Just a place to sleep and shower. Motel 6 accomendations are okay for that.
ChiTown rakes in the big bucks. He won't mind. :)

Infidel Goat
05-02-2007, 01:34 PM
If you are at all flexible about your dates, I'd suggest the following:

Go some time between August 26th and September 22. That's when the FREE disney dining plan is available. With this plan you get A LOT of food for free. For full details, check out the website:

FREE MEAL PLAN INFO (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/special/promo/genericPromoLandingNav?id=Q407FreeDineNavPage&CMP=ILC-DOLtoWDWQ4FY07FreeDine&bhcp=1)

Depending upon when school starts for your kids, you might be able to go that last week in August. Or, if you think they are at the age where a week away from school isn't that big of a deal, you could go after Labor Day when the crowds will be much much smaller.

We stayed at Port Orleans, which is one step up from the All-Star places, and liked it a lot. Better pool (with a dragon slide), family friendly, and probably slightly better bus service than most of the All-Star resorts.

Sure-Oz
05-02-2007, 02:12 PM

If you don't mind paying the money, stay at one of the resorts in one of the parks. The day you fly and check in, hit the resort in the park you are staying at.

Each day one of the parks opens an hour earlier to people staying in the hotels. AVOID THAT PARK. Everyone thinks they are getting a leg up on the general public and everyone goes to that park early. You don't save any time. In fact, it is generally more crowded.

They now have a speed pass system. I forget the exact name, but you buy tickets/passes for rides at a certain time and it lets you cut the line. Being the dad, it will be your job to run around with everyone's swipe card and buy tickets in 30 minute intervals while your wife and kids enjoy the rides. They will get in line for X. You run to ride Z and get tickets for 30 minutes later. You run back to X to find your family getting off the ride, you give them the tix for ride Z and run off to ride Y to get tickets for 30 minutes later. You will be exhausted and will consume overpriced Disney beer all night, but the kids will happy they got to ride on everything.

BOOOOM!!! FASTPASS!!!!!!!!!

Sure-Oz
05-02-2007, 02:14 PM
DW is too damn expensive and the AS resort's def. suck and are "cheapish". It has the necessitys, seems like a motel room if anything. Everything is so expensive so be prepared, a damn poncho is $6

Saulbadguy
05-02-2007, 02:18 PM
DW is too damn expensive and the AS resort's def. suck and are "cheapish". It has the necessitys, seems like a motel room if anything. Everything is so expensive so be prepared, a damn poncho is $6
The food and stuff is cheaper than Arrowhead stadium. :p

Thig Lyfe
05-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Wait until they're older and then you'll only have to go for a day. They'll get bored halfway through. Cost-effective!

Mile High Mania
05-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Have you ever been to DW? If not... then get ready for gift shops after the rides. That's a fun thing with kids.

Stewie
05-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Orlando + July + Asphalt = Nope

ChiTown
05-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Orlando + July + Asphalt = Nope

yep.

I'm actually re-doing the plan for mid September, and no, I have not ever been to DW.

Mile High Mania
05-02-2007, 04:52 PM
If you do some solid research... you can do it right.

KCBOSS1
05-02-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't know if you are able to do this time-wise, but my wife and I have become very good at doing Orlando. We stay at an approximately 2200 sf. house in a gated community about 5 minutes from DW. But we have 4 kids, so the Disney packages don't work well for us. We almost always go after school starts though because we don't like to do the lines. Now, they have a fasttrack system and you really need to learn how it works because it will typically save you a lot of time in waiting. We love Orlando and many people hate it. But again, I thiink that timing is everything. We always go in the fall or early spring. We take our kids out of school to go but haven't been in about 4 years.

KCBOSS1
05-02-2007, 05:58 PM
For a small family, I think that the disney packages are best. It is very cool to us in many ways if you stay in the Disney Resort. If you buy anything in a shop, you don't have to carry it, they will deliver it to your room, regardless of what hotel you are staying in. This stuff may have been covered already but I am too lazy to read all of the comments.

Guru
05-02-2007, 06:19 PM
There are a lot of Disney World websites out there. the wife and I just decided that we are going to take all our kids to Disney World next year. We went through the Disney World website just to price shop and we can stay on property (most important thing I think), Tuesday-Sunday, 2 adults, 3 kids, tickets to the park for about $1600.

We took the oldest about 5 years ago and he loved it. I've been a total of about 7-10 times in my life and it never gets old. I can maybe answer some questions, let me know if you have any.
When I went on the Disney site a couple months back, 2 adults and 3 children cost $2100. And that was on the cheap properties. How did you land that?

Deberg_1990
05-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Orlando rocks.

Disney, Islands of Adventure, Universal, Sea World, and Busch Gardens is only an hour and a half away in Tampa. Too much fun...

KcMizzou
05-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Mmaddog could probably tell you everything you want to know.

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 06:49 PM
ChiTown:

The best website for Disney information and tips is

www.wdwinfo.com

If you want real tips from someone who has been there many times, send me an IM and I can answer any question that you want.

BTW, if you stay on property you can use the Disney Magical Express. If you stay at one of the Disney hotels they send you luggage stickers to put on your suitcases if you fly with certain airlines. (I know American is one of them) If you stick them on the luggage, all you have to do is check your luggage at your departing airport and you don't have to touch the bags again until you are in your room. Plus once you get to the Orlando airport you head directly to the shuttle that Disney provides and they take you directly to your hotel, with no need to claim bags since Disney does it for you.

I have a million more tips.....and some advice to counter some of the claims that have been posted here by others.

mmaddog

Silock
05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Whenever we go, we always stay at a condo with a kitchen. That way, we just hit up a grocery store and cook our own breakfast and dinner. The only meal we eat at Disney is lunch, which isn't too terribly expensive. It works really well.

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Mmaddog could probably tell you everything you want to know.

I must have been typing while you were posting this....

mmaddog

KcMizzou
05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
I must have been typing while you were posting this....

mmaddog
*******LMAO Yep. Right on cue.

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 06:55 PM

I disagree.....some of the older All Star Resort rooms are aging, but if you stay at the newer or renovated ones they are pretty nice. Plus, Disney listened to the voice of the consumer and turned some of the All Star rooms into suites. They are much nicer and accomodate families with more than 2 kids without being that much more expensive.

BTW, if you pay $6 for a poncho that is your own fault. If you hear it might rain, you can get a poncho from Wal-Mart for $2 ( or less) and put it in a backpack with all the other necessities (camera, tickets, etc).

Disney doesn't have to be expensive....unless you are ill-prepared.

mmaddog

Logical
05-02-2007, 06:57 PM
yep.

I'm actually re-doing the plan for mid September, and no, I have not ever been to DW.

Truthfully my experience with Florida has been that until you hit October it does not begin to cool down, really cools off in November.

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Truthfully my experience with Florida has been that until you hit October it does not begin to cool down, really cools off in November.

For the most part you are correct...although I have been there in Sept several times and have seen the temps be anywhere from 65 degrees to 88 degrees.....I have also been there during Thanksgiving week when it was 85 degrees 4 out of 5 days.

The only problem with going in October is the crowds of people who are thinking just like you are....go when "nobody" usually goes.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 07:06 PM

You need to learn the tricks of the FastPass.....first you never do all the tickets at the same ride, that way you can get FastPasses at more than one ride. For example:

We have 4 people in our family....myself, my wife, my son and daughter. We use 2 tickets on one ride and get a FastPass.....we use 2 others at another ride. When we check in at the first ride, I can usually talk the Cast Member who is manning the FastPass gate to let all 4 of us in although only 2 of us have FastPasses.

(Now watch...someone from Disney will see this and ruin it for me)

mmaddog

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 07:10 PM
July is one of the least crowded times at Walt Disney World so lines will be very short compared to the rest of the year. However, it will be hotter than the lower bowels of hell there, and humid.

IMO, with children, i'd stay at the resort and get the dining plan, it will end up saving you $$$ on food and its an easy way to get snacks and things around the park.

If you want to do any character dining, call ahead. Actually, call ASAP and reserve. I don't know if you have girls but the Princess dinner or whatnot fills up months in advance. For non-character dining, I wouldn't worry about reservations since you are going in mid-July.

Decent advice, although staying at AKL is much more expensive now that everyone has gotten a taste of it.

And although you laugh at the though of staying at the Campground, it actually is pretty fun. At Fort Wilderness Campground every night they have a campfire where kids can roast hot dogs and marshmallows, they have a campfire sing along, and then show 2 Disney movies on an outside screen. And nothing is cooler than sleeping out under the stars at WDW.

mmaddog

bogie
05-02-2007, 07:11 PM

Do you get any Dad credit for this?

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 07:15 PM
good stuff.

THANK YOU

My kids are 6 and 9 yrs old boys, btw.

If your boys like video games, and you want to spend a day at somewhere other than the Parks, take them to Downtown Disney to DisneyQuest....that is virtual reality heaven.

BTW, the park will be teeming with Pirates of the Carribean characters and merchandise what with the movie coming out this summer. If your kids are into that, then they will love WDW this year.

Also...at their age, staying at the All Star Pop Century or All Star Sports resorts will probably be fine for them. The pools are decent, there are plenty of other kids their age there, which makes them feel less left out if you stay at one of the other Resorts. (JMO)

mmaddog

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Between the airport and hotel stop at a gas station and buy food, drinks and snacks. Disney kills you on food and snack prices. A personal pan pizza (pizza hut) and a Coke will run you something like $16 bucks.

You eat at all the wrong places....find the hidden gems in Disney and you can eat for decent prices. For $16 bucks I can feed all 4 people in my family....

mmaddog

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 07:21 PM
If you are planning in doing all of the parks in 4 days, prepare to be exhausted. We went when boys were about the same age as yours. They liked Magic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom the best. I liked MGM and Epcot the best. The boys didn't get much out of Epcot (though my youngest went on Mission:Space three times; it gave me a blinding headache).

I really didn't think that the meals were that expensive. A little more than fast food but on par with a place like Applebee's. it depends a lot on which restaurants you go to, though. It is the snack type things that they kill you on - $5 ice cream cones and $2 20 oz Cokes.

Very good advice....

mmaddog

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 07:23 PM
If you go to Animal Kingdom, be sure to get there as early as possible and hit the safari ride first thing. The animals are much more active then than later in the day. Also, if you go on the Kali River Rapids ride, prepare to be soaked thoroughly from head to toe. Take a Ziploc bag to put your wallet in.

Once again...great information. (you must have read one of my other Disney threads... :) )

mmaddog

Saulbadguy
05-02-2007, 07:24 PM
You eat at all the wrong places....find the hidden gems in Disney and you can eat for decent prices. For $16 bucks I can feed all 4 people in my family....

mmaddog
Turkey legs for the win!

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 07:29 PM
I don't know if you are able to do this time-wise, but my wife and I have become very good at doing Orlando. We stay at an approximately 2200 sf. house in a gated community about 5 minutes from DW. But we have 4 kids, so the Disney packages don't work well for us. We almost always go after school starts though because we don't like to do the lines. Now, they have a fasttrack system and you really need to learn how it works because it will typically save you a lot of time in waiting. We love Orlando and many people hate it. But again, I thiink that timing is everything. We always go in the fall or early spring. We take our kids out of school to go but haven't been in about 4 years.

Good information...plus here is something that you might not be aware of.

Talk with your son's teachers....in some schools you can get the Teacher to agree on giving your kids extra credit for the educational things that you can garner at WDW....on the Website I mentioned there are many examples of educational opportunities that you can present to the kids while having fun. Most of it is at EPCOT and Animal Kingdom, but there are many other opportunities in all the Parks.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Turkey legs for the win!

We have a WINNER!!!!!

Buy a turkey leg then sit down to watch the Main Street Electrical Parade!!!!!

mmaddog

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Another tip for staying on property.....

When you first arrive buy the souvenir mug that that each resort sells, because after you do that you never have to pay for another drink when you are at the resort. Plus, if you are smart, you load up all the mugs before you leave for the park and you have your drink for the day......and if you drink that early in the day, if you've bought the Park Hopper pass, all you do is head back to the hotel for an afternoon break, and refill the mug before heading back to the park for a late afternoon and all evening trip to see the fireworks at one of the parks.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 07:35 PM
BTW...if planned well, you can do a budget WDW trip, not including the airfare for $900 bucks for 5 day/4 nights including meals.

mmaddog

Fruit Ninja
05-02-2007, 07:38 PM
**** disney land./world or whatever. Had a horrible childhood experience there. **** that place. lol

Infidel Goat
05-02-2007, 07:44 PM
yep.

Definitely sign up for the free meal plan then.

When we used it, we'd still buy something like beignets for breakfast-- but we'd have lunch at a park, a snack (ice cream cookie sandwich!) at some point, and dinner at one of the resorts covered for free.

The dinners, in particular, were huge and good. Drink=milkshake, appetizer, main course, dessert. I'm sure that I was eating 2000 calorie dinners for most of the week which busted my gut a little--but that's what vacations are for.

It's also fun because it gives you an excuse to check out the other properties and eat different cuisines. We used two of our dinners to see an Aloha show (somewhat cheesy, but also with fire breathing dudes and what not that impressed my kids).

I know plenty of guys on here will make fun of you, but I'm jealous. My wife and I actually honeymooned at Disney years ago too.

Silock
05-02-2007, 07:49 PM
My wife and I actually honeymooned at Disney years ago too.

Same. And we're going back with my sister-in-law and her fiancee in December.

KcMizzou
05-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I know plenty of guys on here will make fun of you, but I'm jealous. My wife and I actually honeymooned at Disney years ago too.Hell, my girlfriend took me when I was 18, as a HS graduation present. Her sister worked there as a seamstress (working on costumes). We stayed with her, and got passes to the parks for free.

(It also didn't hurt that her dad worked for TWA)

Spent a few days there, and a few days camping in Key Biscayne. Best trip I've ever had.

Mr. Plow
05-02-2007, 07:54 PM
When I went on the Disney site a couple months back, 2 adults and 3 children cost $2100. And that was on the cheap properties. How did you land that?

Just went through the package deal on the disneyworld.com website. It was at one of the cheaper resorts - I believe the All Star Sports one, but not sure. Dates may be a portion of it - I was searching for early June.

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Definitely sign up for the free meal plan then.

When we used it, we'd still buy something like beignets for breakfast-- but we'd have lunch at a park, a snack (ice cream cookie sandwich!) at some point, and dinner at one of the resorts covered for free.

The dinners, in particular, were huge and good. Drink=milkshake, appetizer, main course, dessert. I'm sure that I was eating 2000 calorie dinners for most of the week which busted my gut a little--but that's what vacations are for.

It's also fun because it gives you an excuse to check out the other properties and eat different cuisines. We used two of our dinners to see an Aloha show (somewhat cheesy, but also with fire breathing dudes and what not that impressed my kids).

I know plenty of guys on here will make fun of you, but I'm jealous. My wife and I actually honeymooned at Disney years ago too.

Screw anyone that makes fun of you for liking Disney....I have been easily 30+ times since I was 27. I still enjoy it as much as I did the first time I went.

Color me an un-Official Disney Ambassador.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Just went through the package deal on the disneyworld.com website. It was at one of the cheaper resorts - I believe the All Star Sports one, but not sure. Dates may be a portion of it - I was searching for early June.

Try the wdwinfo website...sometimes you can find discounts that are not normally advertised. Plus, if you have AAA or a couple of other discounts avaliable you'd be surprised what you can save.

mmaddog

Mr. Plow
05-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Screw anyone that makes fun of you for liking Disney....I have been easily 30+ times since I was 27. I still enjoy it as much as I did the first time I went.

mmaddog

It's the one place that has never gotten old. I loved it as a kid and my kids now love it.

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 08:19 PM
It's the one place that has never gotten old. I loved it as a kid and my kids now love it.

I've always loved DisneyWorld...but I gained an even great appreciation for it when my kids came along. Nothing changes a man's view on everything in life more than seeing things thru the eyes of your children.

mmaddog

Mr. Plow
05-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I've always loved DisneyWorld...but I gained an even great appreciation for it when my kids came along. Nothing changes a man's view on everything in life more than seeing things thru the eyes of your children.

mmaddog

When we took my then 4 year old to Disney World, he had a smile on his face the entire time there.

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 08:29 PM
When we took my then 4 year old to Disney World, he had a smile on his face the entire time there.

:toast: :rockon:

mmaddog

Mr. Plow
05-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I just went to
this site (http://www.wdwinfo.com/villas/index.htm) because there was a link from the WDWinfo site indicating there were villas to rent. I'm not going until next year, but thought I would see some pricing info on them.

The one that I looked at was a 4 bedroom villa (we are going to go with some friends and their children), minimum 7 night stay for $862. So, basically $430 for my family for 7 nights. This was for September, but we are maybe going to go around that time next year so I think pricing should be comparable.

Says these are 7 miles from the DW parks with complimentary transportation back and forth. Has some other things listed as well. Anyone have any experience in renting one of these or something similar off property?

Slick32
05-02-2007, 08:55 PM

mmaddog

One of my co-workers bought a package deal that included meals at any of a few of the name spots. It seems like he paid a bundle for the family but it included all of the Disney parks, motel breakfast and dinner every night and airline. I don't remember if it included a rental car or not. they flew in from St. Louis.

If I had to go to a theme park with his family they would have had to pay me some big BIG money! There are just some people you don't want to be around for an extended amount of time.

Gracie Dean
05-02-2007, 09:08 PM
do a disney cruise.

Deberg_1990
05-02-2007, 09:15 PM
You might also consider Disneyland in Cali if your only going for a few days? Its still a great park and they added the 2nd park "California Adventure" a few years back which i quite enjoyed.

Brock
05-02-2007, 09:46 PM
do a disney cruise.

I don't get how a cruise could ever compare to a trip to Disney world.

LocoChiefsFan
05-02-2007, 10:01 PM
ChiTown:

The best website for Disney information and tips is

www.wdwinfo.com

If you want real tips from someone who has been there many times, send me an IM and I can answer any question that you want.

BTW, if you stay on property you can use the Disney Magical Express. If you stay at one of the Disney hotels they send you luggage stickers to put on your suitcases if you fly with certain airlines. (I know American is one of them) If you stick them on the luggage, all you have to do is check your luggage at your departing airport and you don't have to touch the bags again until you are in your room. Plus once you get to the Orlando airport you head directly to the shuttle that Disney provides and they take you directly to your hotel, with no need to claim bags since Disney does it for you.

I have a million more tips.....and some advice to counter some of the claims that have been posted here by others.

mmaddog
*******Ding, ding,ding, we have a winner. www.wdwinfo.com is THE best site for WDW info. Check out the message board at www.disboards.com. When we were researching for our vacation, I can not stress how useful this site was. By the way, we are going to WDW from June 1-June 12. Staying at the Port Orleans Riverside Resort. Definately get the dining plan. I'm already $6000.00 deep for this trip. That doesn't count the spending money.

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Ding, ding,ding, we have a winner. www.wdwinfo.com is THE best site for WDW info. Check out the message board at www.disboards.com. When we were researching for our vacation, I can not stress how useful this site was. By the way, we are going to WDW from June 1-June 12. Staying at the Port Orleans Riverside Resort. Definately get the dining plan. I'm already $6000.00 deep for this trip. That doesn't count the spending money.

LocoCheifsFan:

A couple of tips while staying at P.O. Riverside.....

1) If you get a chance take the Boat ride from Riverside to Downtown Disney one night. It's a relaxing ride and takes you by a WDW favorite from days gone by, the TreeHouse Villas. Although they are not available to the general public, they are still used by visiting Disney Cast Members.

2) Take the bike rides in the evening along the River....

Also...the General Store at Riverside isn't as nice as the store at Port Orleans French Quarters.

mmaddog

Gracie Dean
05-02-2007, 10:38 PM

going to Disney is part of the deal, plus the characters dine with the guests on the boat...

pretty cool

Mosbonian
05-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Ding, ding,ding, we have a winner. www.wdwinfo.com is THE best site for WDW info. Check out the message board at www.disboards.com. When we were researching for our vacation, I can not stress how useful this site was. By the way, we are going to WDW from June 1-June 12. Staying at the Port Orleans Riverside Resort. Definately get the dining plan. I'm already $6000.00 deep for this trip. That doesn't count the spending money.

As a note for anyone going.....if someone in your family is having a birthday while you are there make sure to stop by City Hall at Magic Kingdom and get them a birthday button. Every Disney Cast Member that sees it is supposed to wish them "Happy Birthday"....plus if the Disney Hotel where you are staying knows in advance about the birthday, you can arrange to have birthday balloons and a signed pic of their favorite Disney character delivered to the room.

Also....while at WDW, if you have kids, or even if you don't and love the Fab Five (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald and Daisy), then go eat at Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary Resort.

mmaddog

Mile High Mania
05-02-2007, 10:47 PM
By the way, we are going to WDW from June 1-June 12.

I enjoyed the trip... but 12 days, you deserve a badge of courage. I think you can easily expect to add another 2 grand to your final bill for this adventure. However, with kids... it is worth it.

As I mentioned, we went this past Christmas through New Years (1 week) and my son was born on Christmas. We did the character birthday lunch and it was awesome.

We went with my sister-in-laws family and the grandparents, so ... 6 adults and 7 kids total. The women/girls did the 'princess' lunch (or breakfast) at the Castle and they absolutely loved it. But, that has one hell of a wait list, so check it out early if you have little girls.

patteeu
05-03-2007, 01:05 AM

I don't know, but I've talked to at least 5 different people who have done both and every one of them said that their preference is the cruise. In two of those cases, I also talked to the kids and they agreed. It's a limited sample size, but it impressed me that none of them chose WDW over the cruise. I've never done the cruise, and I'm not really that big of a fan of cruises to begin with so I don't know what my opinion would be.

Silock
05-03-2007, 01:15 AM
I just went to
this site (http://www.wdwinfo.com/villas/index.htm) because there was a link from the WDWinfo site indicating there were villas to rent. I'm not going until next year, but thought I would see some pricing info on them.

The one that I looked at was a 4 bedroom villa (we are going to go with some friends and their children), minimum 7 night stay for $862. So, basically $430 for my family for 7 nights. This was for September, but we are maybe going to go around that time next year so I think pricing should be comparable.

Says these are 7 miles from the DW parks with complimentary transportation back and forth. Has some other things listed as well. Anyone have any experience in renting one of these or something similar off property?

I always do the off-property thing. There hasn't ever been a problem doing it that way.

Slick32
05-03-2007, 06:35 AM
You might also consider Disneyland in Cali if your only going for a few days? Its still a great park and they added the 2nd park "California Adventure" a few years back which i quite enjoyed.

Cali? That is the second time I've ever heard that used for California. It sounds gay.

Al Bundy
05-03-2007, 08:09 AM
They are right, you would be better off staying at the Disney resort for a shorter vacation. It is expensive. You can hit the Sea World and Universal Theme park and heck if you wanted to you could drive over to Tampa for a day and do Busch Gardens and be back in Orlando that night.

Saulbadguy
05-03-2007, 08:13 AM

mmaddog
Yep..something very cool about it that I can't grasp. I never even liked Disney stuff all that much when I was a child, I was more of a Warner Brothers kid.

Disney just puts a lot of work in to their facilities to make it a very memorable experience, and it truly makes you feel like a kid at heart when you are there. I've been there 3 times, planning on going back many more times.

ChiTown
05-03-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm looking, right now, at the Wilderness Resort. Does anyone here have any experience with that facility?

Also, many thanks to all the responses. This has been a wealth of information. mmaddog, I'll shoot you an IM later on for some specific questions I have. Thanks again.

As usual, ChiefsPlanet comes through again. :)

Frosty
05-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Once again...great information. (you must have read one of my other Disney threads... :) )

mmaddog

My wife's uncle worked for Disney as a chemist. When we went down there 3 years ago, we went to all of the parks with her aunt (for free). My wife's aunt has been there a billion times, of course, so knew all of the in and outs.

Saulbadguy
05-03-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm looking, right now, at the Wilderness Resort. Does anyone here have any experience with that facility?

Also, many thanks to all the responses. This has been a wealth of information. mmaddog, I'll shoot you an IM later on for some specific questions I have. Thanks again.

Do the hoop dee doo musical revue. Kids will enjoy it.

melbar
05-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Mousepal has some great reviews and advise to plan your trip. I would book through Disney. No hassels.

Brock
05-03-2007, 09:10 AM

I've stayed there. It's the best hotel on the place as far as I'm concerned. There is a pretty good restaurant in the hotel, I forget the name. Be sure to ask your waitress for ketchup.

stevieray
05-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Chi just won the SB?

kcbronco
05-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Taking my 6 yr old boy and 4 yr old twin girls there May 19-26. Any advice on a couple must sees for this age? Also are they too young for Epcot?

Brock
05-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Taking my 6 yr old boy and 4 yr old twin girls there May 19-26. Any advice on a couple must sees for this age? Also are they too young for Epcot?

They probably won't get a big thrill out of epcot, but there are some exceptions. Epcot has the "honey I shrunk the audience" thing, which they'll like, and it also has some clever water spouts where the water appears to jump from one hole in the sidewalk to the next. The kids love chasing these things. Also, epcot has what I think are the best fireworks at DW, so mosey over there when it starts to get dark one night for sure.

Saulbadguy
05-03-2007, 10:39 AM
I like to go to the little Igloo at the Epcot center and drink soft drinks from around the world. The watermelon one was pretty good.

Sure-Oz
05-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I didn't get to go to epcot, but did everything else there. I liked the whole cultural area, where they have the dif. countries and the fireworks there were pretty sweet. I also likede the aerosmith ride nad space mtn, def. do all the roller coasters.

BigRedChief
05-03-2007, 12:48 PM
They are right, you would be better off staying at the Disney resort for a shorter vacation. It is expensive. You can hit the Sea World and Universal Theme park and heck if you wanted to you could drive over to Tampa for a day and do Busch Gardens and be back in Orlando that night.
Thats what we did. Went over to Tampa Bay for 2 days. Sea World and the beaches. Found a nice little hotel/bar right on the beach to stay at. Worked out nicely.

We also went to the other side of the state and Daytona Beach for one day also.

Cochise
05-03-2007, 12:58 PM
My family never went. I didn't realize that by not going they were saving a mint.

Mosbonian
05-03-2007, 07:56 PM

If you are talking about The Wilderness Lodge, it's very cool. The rooms at the Wilderness Lodge are comfortably large and you are never far away from Magic Kingdom. It's fun sometimes to just sit in the incredibly large lobby and enjoy the ambience. The restaurant there Whispering Canyon Cafe, has pretty decent food, but is a little pricey. If I was you I'd eat at the Roaring River Snacks, which is the "fast foods" version of restaurants there, but it's really not...and if you remember nothing else that I have told you, buy the mugs....it will save you a ton of money on drinks since refills are free your whole stay.

I would rent one of the skipjacks or the pontoons and cruise out into The Seven Seas Lagoon. Also, if you find the right spot, you can watch the fireworks displays from MK and EPCOT.

mmaddog

LocoChiefsFan
05-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Also....while at WDW, if you have kids, or even if you don't and love the Fab Five (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald and Daisy), then go eat at Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary Resort.

mmaddog
Oh yeah, we already have advanced dining reservations for Chef Mickey's.

LocoChiefsFan
05-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Mousepal has some great reviews and advise to plan your trip. I would book through Disney. No hassels.We went through Disney. Definately no hassle booking. We did get our airfare seperate. That was alot more expensive though Disney. If I remember right, Disney wanted 1800.00 for airfare, and we went through Expedia and got it for 988.00.