PDA

View Full Version : DT Manny Wright released by Dolphins...

jAZ
05-02-2007, 09:45 AM
He sat out last year while dealing with the effects of depression and came in 15 pounds overweight after the offseason.

Cameron cut him today (even though they are a bit thin at DT).

... and I wonder how he would pass the Krumrie toughness test.

But all that said...

Wright has superstar caliber physical gifts, is only 23 and depression is treatable. I'm sure there are lots of guys in the league dealing with it... many already on the Chiefs.

I doubt we have interest as a team, but I'm curious if anyone here would take a chance on him...

JBucc
05-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Is he the one that Saban made cry?

pikesome
05-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Is he the one that Saban made cry?

Yep.

I'd talk to him. A breakdown like his had to have an underlying cause that might have been fixed. If I felt he had his stuff squared away I don't see why he couldn't come in for TC fodder at the least. It'd have to be dirt cheap though.

Mr. Kotter
05-02-2007, 09:49 AM
If Cameron dumped him THIS early, there's got to be a reason.

I guess I'd look into it, but I wouldn't be holding out a lot of hope.

stlchiefs
05-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Maybe him and Greinke could room together?

Cave Johnson
05-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Great 5th rounder by the Phins....

chagrin
I'm sure there are lots of guys in the league dealing with it... many already on the Chiefs.

I'm curious about this, who is being treated for depression on the Chiefs?

pikesome
If Cameron dumped him THIS early, there's got to be a reason.

I wonder about Cameron and the Phins. It doesn't seem like the FO down there is all on the same page. I saw the owner respond to a question about whether they drafted right by passing on Quinn and he said something like "They had better". Not a vote of confidence for your new HC.

Chiefnj
05-02-2007, 09:53 AM
I think KC has enough rotational type DT's on the roster. If a superstar became available they should consider it, but otherwise you've got two rookies, Boone, Edwards, Reed and maybe Wilkerson depending on how they want to use him.

stlchiefs
05-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Looking back on articles it appears a lot of his problems stem from depression. I don't know if he is treating his problems, but he could be worth picking up for Training Camp. If he's smart he'd realize the Chiefs would give him a decent shot at making a roster.

ESPN timeline: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/content?playerId=9212

Braincase
05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Looking back on articles it appears a lot of his problems stem from depression. I don't know if he is treating his problems, but he could be worth picking up for Training Camp. If he's smart he'd realize the Chiefs would give him a decent shot at making a roster.

I think he'd make a great starter for the Broncos.

JimNasium
05-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Why do we need anymore fat slugs on this team? I'd rather not bring in a head case to deal with.

Mecca
05-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Personally I'd take a look at him but I'm not a fan of Ron Edwards and I'm a SC homer.

jspchief
05-02-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't really feel that depression and pro sports mix. Sure, he can yake pills to make him normal, but pro athletes need a state of mind that exceeds normal. They need to be exceptional mentally as well as physically.

I pass.

Fish
05-02-2007, 10:29 AM
No more whiny unstable fat boy projects please.... thanks....

htismaqe
05-02-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't really feel that depression and pro sports mix. Sure, he can yake pills to make him normal, but pro athletes need a state of mind that exceeds normal. They need to be exceptional mentally as well as physically.

I pass.

Mood stablizing drugs are designed to stabilize one's mood. For that reason, they tend to level out the peaks as well as the valleys. Depression is easily treated with medication, but that medication also can rob a person of their passion and desire...

Direckshun
05-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Let's say I'm a pro football player.

Let's say I live in Miami.

Let's say I have a severe case of depression.

If a trip to a Miami beach won't cheer me up, nothing will.

Sully
05-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm fully on the "No" bandwagon, here. I don't know that the guy even deserves a look, and I'm pretty sure that he isn't any better than our draft picks.

Mecca
05-02-2007, 11:18 AM
It's the same as UDFA, 90 guys come to camp hey if it doesn't work out you cut him like any other no name.

RJ
05-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Who was that D-lineman that went sorta whacky after getting drafted a few years back? I think the Vikings were his original team, then the Cowboys. Can anyone refresh my memory?

DaKCMan AP
05-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Who was that D-lineman that went sorta whacky after getting drafted a few years back? I think the Vikings were his original team, then the Cowboys. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Alonzo Spellman?

StcChief
05-02-2007, 11:32 AM
If he wants to try bring him in. Camp fodder or maybe he's ready to play again.

noa
05-02-2007, 11:34 AM

I believe it was Dimitrius Underwood

chagrin
05-02-2007, 11:36 AM

I haven't read that article but he might be too depressed to be "smart" enough to see things clearly. Like I said, I haven't read the article though.

chagrin
05-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I believe it was Dimitrius Underwood

Yep.

Note on Spellman though, he also went to Detroit and at one point kidnapped his agent at gunpoint and pulled an OJ except he didn't actually kill anybody, he just had his agent drive around. Sad story

jAZ
05-02-2007, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't expect much of anything, but I'd be ok with bringing him in myself.

I sense that Herm might be a good guy to coach him.

However, I think Krumrie might be the worst person in the world to coach him, given his lack of mental/emotional toughness.

My guess is that we won't even remotely touch him.

Smed1065
05-02-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm curious about this, who is being treated for depression on the Chiefs?

I do not know about the players but definitely the "fans" are!

SNR
05-02-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm curious about this, who is being treated for depression on the Chiefs?Could be Jared Allen, but he usually drinks his problems away instead of seeking medical advice

Eric
05-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Tampa with Sims.

Bill Lundberg
05-02-2007, 04:54 PM
The Bills signed him

Mr. Laz
05-02-2007, 06:00 PM
was manny wright the supplemental draft guy?

Bill Lundberg
05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
was manny wright the supplemental draft guy?
yes

Bill Lundberg
05-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Apparently the change of scenery didn't do him any good...

Bills release DT Wright
Written by: Chris Brown 5/9/2007
Source: www.buffalobills.com
One week after claiming former Dolphins DT Manuel Wright off waivers, the Bills put him back in the waiver pool. Apparently after getting a look at him over the past seven days the club didn't feel he'd fit into their plans. Published reports in south Florida said that Wright, while still with the Dolphins, reported to Miami's offseason conditioning program out of shape, which prompted his release. I spoke to Wright yesterday prior to his release by Buffalo and he did admit he had about 30 pounds to lose. http://www.buffalobills.com (http://www.buffalobills.com/)

Direckshun
05-09-2007, 02:50 PM
We don't need him. We're set at DT for 2007.

We've got at least two starter-quality DTs (Boone, Tyler), four other solid DTs (Reed, Edwards, Wilkerson, McBride), young studs (Tyler, McBride), seasoned vets (Reed, Boone, Edwards), and even promising practice squad DTs (McGlothlin, Doughty).

For once, the middle of our line seems to be taken care of.

Easy 6
05-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Alonzo Spellman can go get a room at the group home, we need a couple of veteran CB's.

DAMN!!! Didnt read the thread & thought i could be first to get in a "Spellman" jab.

Count Zarth
05-09-2007, 02:57 PM

HERM RULES!

Mr. Laz
05-09-2007, 03:08 PM

We've got at least two starter-quality DTs (Boone, Tyler), four other solid DTs (Reed, Edwards, Wilkerson, McBride), young studs (Tyler, McBride), seasoned vets (Reed, Boone, Edwards), and even promising practice squad DTs (McGlothlin, Doughty).

For once, the middle of our line seems to be taken care of.
we'll see ...... it's been 15 years since our interior Dline has been worth much.

maybe 1 year when Dan williams felt like playing ... but other than that. :Lin:

Radar Chief
05-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Wright has superstar caliber physical gifts, is only 23 and depression is treatable. I'm sure there are lots of guys in the league dealing with it... many already on the Chiefs.

Buh, dum, tish. ROFL