PDA

View Full Version : Greg Robinson is quietly improving the team's defense while all of the attention is b

tommykat
04-08-2001, 10:56 AM
I knew this new coaching staff is being quiet for a reason. You can read the rest on KFFL. I'm thinking we will have a great team this year after all....:cool:

Any thoughts???

Mi_chief_fan
04-08-2001, 11:27 AM
The one thing this defense will be more than last year's is more disciplined, certainly without Chester. Eric Hicks & Duane Clemens staying healthy for the year certainly does make me wonder how good we can be on the defensive side.

I also think Crockett will end up being a solid addition.

Mile High Mania
04-08-2001, 01:22 PM
Robinson did well in his first few years in Denver, I suspect he will be good in KC for a few years as well. I wouldn't expect a Top 5 or 8 defensive ranking though.

darkchief
04-08-2001, 03:11 PM
crockett for hasty is not a gain... owens will be a nice backup.. as for a our dt's.. thank goodness chester is gone, so that is a improvement.... yippie

keg in kc
04-08-2001, 04:37 PM
Our defense was 18th under the rather inept guidance of Kurt Schottenheimer, so I think we should expect a definite improvement from that. Top 8, I don't know, but I believe we have more talent on the defensive side of the ball than we're giving ourselves credit for, and there are at most only one or two holes that need to be addressed...

Tribal Warfare
04-08-2001, 04:51 PM
Our defense was 18th under the rather inept guidance of Kurt Schottenheimer

It all depends if their going to shaft Maz, which would a be a dire mistake. My reasoning why they might not start Maz ? I believe they'll shift Edward to SSLB and put Atkins in and WLB. Maz is a natural MLB, correct? Yes, but Patton has senority and if Maz does get the job. Their will be a war for that position.

keg in kc
04-08-2001, 04:55 PM
Priority, I think I'm the only person here that doesn't think Maz is a natural MLB, I think he should be playing strong side, with Donnie on the weak side, but that then leaves the obvious question of who will play the middle...

Tribal Warfare
04-08-2001, 05:01 PM
If Maz is still on the strong side, I suspect Patton, O'neal, or a draft pick to hold the position (Torrence Marshall, Carlos Polk, Kendrad Bell)

keg in kc
04-08-2001, 05:08 PM
That's my guess as well, although I'm leaning more toward it being a guy on the roster (or some FA released after June I, maybe, although I don't know who that might be). I don't think, however, we'll be drafting a LB, although there are several I'd sure like to take a look at for MLB...

AZChief
04-08-2001, 05:46 PM
I think the area where KC is going to have the most trouble is in the secondary, specifically, on the corners. Dennis, Bartee, Warfield, Crockett...none of these guys have shown that they are capable of being a number one cover guy. Oh, how I miss the Hasty/Carter & Lewis/Ross days.

AZ

Tribal Warfare
04-08-2001, 05:52 PM
I think the area where KC is going to have the most trouble is in the secondary, specifically, on the corners. Dennis, Bartee, Warfield, Crockett...none of these guys have shown that they are capable of being a number one cover guy.

I believe the Chiefs are better off than we think at the CB position, with the soft zone schemes that Wille Shaw employed it didn't showcase their true coverage abilities. The CB's were playing dime coverage through out the year, with the exception of Hasty.

DaWolf
04-08-2001, 06:26 PM
I think the key is going to be how we use our linebackers. IMO they had no clue how to use either DT or Edwards the last few years, esp. to rush the passer. We need to be way more creative with our LB's than we have been and create more of a pass rush. That's the biggest thing, getting constant pressure on the QB, be it from the LB's or the DL, but it has got to come from different areas. And if we do this, the DB's should be better, with a year of experience under their belt. If we don't, then they are toast. I don't think we're done at corner yet, though...

ExtremeChief
04-08-2001, 06:42 PM
I like the addition of Crockett just for the veteran leadership he brings to the secondary.

I would rather see our defense get burnt while attacking than get burnt in a soft zone...hopefully we will put some pressure on the QB and get back to leading the league in turnover ratio.

hoping coaching alone will bring some improvement...

Tribal Warfare
04-08-2001, 07:06 PM
I think the key is going to be how we use our linebackers

Actually, the coverage on the WR's will be dependant on the effectiveness of the DL.

tommykat
04-08-2001, 08:59 PM
I think the new coaching is going to be pretty cool to see how it unravels. With Rams and Denver coaches they should help the Chiefs pull of some double whamey's...:cool:

Defense isn't looking as bad as we all thought at first. And with the draft around the corner....whoa guys watch for some major changes about to happen. I'm thinking no on Green now. Vermeil has been through the ringer with the Rams. He shouldn't have to give them anymore, just because he choose to coach again. Unless of course they give us back or 2nd for Green trade. That I could go for.