PDA

View Full Version : NFBT: Congratulations to Tiger Woods

keg in kc
04-08-2001, 05:00 PM
Just want to say congrats to Tiger Woods for winning his second Masters and his fourth Major in a row. Just amazing, even if it's not a grand slam, it's just an incredible achievement, especially with the level of competition in the PGA. I really didn't think he could do it.

Wowzers.

Mi_chief_fan
04-08-2001, 06:36 PM
Man, it must be desperate times if we're discussing the AARP's official sport.

keg in kc
04-08-2001, 06:53 PM
Nah, I actually love golf, when I can play (never...), and what Woods has done is amazing. I can't think of what it could equate to in football terms, but it really is a tremendous achievement.

Mi_chief_fan
04-08-2001, 06:54 PM
I guess in football terms, the 72 Dolphins would come to mind, but I HATE golf. I doubt any of those guys would want to be compared to a golfer.

Logical
04-08-2001, 06:57 PM
Three more majors this year and then all the WAGS can just shut the hell up. Tiger is one of the most poised and elegant players I have ever seen. Why people think that the four wins not coming in the calender year is beyond me.

I agree, congratulations on your Grand Slam Tiger.

keg in kc
04-08-2001, 07:34 PM
Jim, I don't consider it a grand slam, and it's not because I'm against Tiger Woods in any way, shape or form. I simply believe a slam has to be all 4 in the same year, the same as in any other sport, like tennis for example.

I look at it this way: say Mike Sweeney leads the league in average and RBI this season, and then he leads the league in home runs next year. He did not win the triple crown... The same could be said, again in baseball, when you see a player hit a single, double and triple on one day and a homer the next: that's not hitting for the cycle.

I think what Tiger has done is incredible, and I don't want to downplay the fact that it has never been done before, and may never be repeated, but it just is not a grand slam until he does it all during a single PGA tour season, which I really hope he does, so the argument can end...

RJ
04-08-2001, 08:01 PM
I don't think anyone is saying it's a Grand Slam. It's just that he is currently the reigning champion in all four majors. Quite an accomplishment.

We are lucky to have watched Woods and M. Jordan in our lifetimes. Two of the best at what they do in sports history.

Logical
04-08-2001, 09:51 PM
Keg,

Actually I believe that they have considered 4 consecutive wins of the GS events in Womens tennis a GS. For example I am pretty sure they have said that Steffi Graf won the GS even though she never did it in a single calendar year.

Just My Opinion but the whole thing about it being in a calender year seems bogus as long as it is four consecutive wins in the majors.

DanT
04-08-2001, 10:08 PM
If Tiger wins the next major, does that mean he has won 2 Grand Slams? After all, then he'll have two runs of 4 straight majors: 1-2-3-4 and 2-3-4-5. That's a problem with letting the runs span 2 calendar years.

I think there's a difference between winning 4 majors in the same calendar year and winning 4 straight majors that span 2 calendar years. I think that both are incredible accomplishments, and I'm glad that Tiger has already achieved one of them. Perhaps the language should honor Tiger by designating the winning of 4 straight majors a "Tiger Grand Slam". There should be another special phrase for when those 4 majors all come in the same year, to distinguish it from a "Tiger Grand Slam" or whatever we end up calling the winning of 4 straight without regard to calendar year.

The language isn't nearly as important as the achievement. Way to go, Tiger!

DaWolf
04-08-2001, 10:48 PM
My view of it is that Tiger is right now the defending champion of all 4 majors. He has all 4 titles to his claim until someone beats him in a major, so to me, holding all 4 titles at the same time constitutes a grand slam. But hey, calendar or not, props to Tiger. Screw him for going to (gag) Stanford and claiming that he likes the Raiders, but props to him nevertheless. At least he realizes the value of wearing red...

stevieray
04-09-2001, 05:57 AM
Why is everone still amazed at his capapbilities?

The guy has been playing golf since he was three..

58Forever
04-09-2001, 07:43 AM
Tiger has already cemented his place as one of the best golfers ever. Holding all four major titles at once is a great feat, one I thought I'd never see. But, the icing would be if he could win them all in one year...now that would be special...I hope he does it this year...

The only thing I don't like about Tiger is that he's made golf so popular that every one and their mothers think they can play golf without any practice.

Go to the driving range before you come out to the course...the game isn't as easy as Tiger makes it look..

thank you for your cooperation...:)