PDA

View Full Version : Would you support pulling troops out of Iraq if Iraqis take a 2 month vacation?

jAZ
05-09-2007, 05:17 PM
We are supposedly sending soldiers to die every day so that the Iraqis can have the freedom to negotiate a political settlement that would bring peaceful end to the fighting between the Sunnis and Shia in Iraq.

If the Iraqis take a 2 month vacation as is currently planned, would you support pulling the troops out?

stevieray
05-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Soldiers die?

when did this start?

jAZ
05-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Good to see you recognize the gravity of dead soldiers.

Taco John
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM
If the Iraqis take a 2 month vacation as is currently planned, would you support pulling the troops out?

I wouldn't have to. This war is going to end when the Republicans lose their will to carry Bush's water. That would just about do it.

stevieray
05-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Good to see you recognize the gravity of dead soldiers.

I recognize the gravity of their oath (and those before them) that allows you and I to be to posting on this thread. My cousin volunteered in 2003 and is still over there, so save me your drama induced BS.

Logical
05-09-2007, 06:17 PM
My vote should probably not count since I want us to do a phased withdrawal no matter what. You probably should have shown names to see who actually changes their vote.

Logical
05-09-2007, 06:18 PM
I recognize the gravity of their oath (and those before them) that allows you and I to be to posting on this thread. My cousin volunteered in 2003 and is still over there, so save me your drama induced BS.

Why don't you answer the poll question instead of spinning the thread off in another direction Stevie?

stevieray
05-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Why don't you answer the poll question instead of spinning the thread off in another direction Stevie?

I adressed what precluded the poll, jim.

the poll accomplishes what? a barometer for you label other posters? those decisions are better left up to those who can make them.

recxjake
05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
You have to ask the question... but then what?

Logical
05-09-2007, 07:27 PM
I adressed what precluded the poll, jim.

the poll accomplishes what? a barometer for you label other posters? those decisions are better left up to those who can make them.Last time I checked this was the USA and the voters opinion matters. But maybe we are more like the Soviet Union than even I imagined under Rove/Cheney.

Logical
05-09-2007, 07:28 PM
You have to ask the question... but then what?

Then nothing, the countries future becomes their problem like it should.

stevieray
05-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Last time I checked this was the USA and the voters opinion matters. But maybe we are more like the Soviet Union than even I imagined under Rove/Cheney.

more senseless drama...you voice your opinion ultimately in your vote.

Last time I checked this question could've been asked without the psuedo play on soldiers dying.

This thread and your post are exposing this for what it is, another scapegoat witchhunt to placate personal vendettas..

Adept Havelock
05-09-2007, 07:43 PM
But maybe we are more like the Soviet Union than even I imagined under Rove/Cheney.

:banghead:

Oy. Do I really have to say this again? I guess so.

I find it sad how we are lowering the bar as to what constitutes a "reign of terror". Hell, I remember back when it required at least a few thousand arbitrary executions, Black Marias driving the Secret police to knock on doors at 3 AM, and at the very least a few public impalements of noteworthy members of the opposition.

Oh, and a leader with a Moustache, Beard, Eyepatch, and/or a uniform covered in medals purchased at the local Woolworths.

This Reign of Terror has lost it's burst.

This concludes this test of the emergency repost system.

As for the poll, I'd support a withdrawl of combat troops in excess of what is needed for defense of US military bases, and training cadres.

That's if they go on vacation, or not.

:clap:

Logical
05-09-2007, 07:46 PM
more senseless drama...you voice your opinion ultimately in your vote.

Last time I checked this question could've been asked without the psuedo play on soldiers dying.

This thread and your post are exposing this for what it is, another scapegoat witchhunt to placate personal vendettas..

Seems like the voters did express their opinion of the war in spades in the last election Cheney/Rove is ignoring the will of the people.

So you don't care if they take two months off while our soldiers die for them?

Logical
05-09-2007, 07:47 PM
:banghead:

Oy. Do I really have to say this again? I guess so.

This concludes this test of the emergency repost system.

As for the poll, I'd support a withdrawl of combat troops in excess of what is needed for defense of US military bases, and training cadres.

That's if they go on vacation, or not.

:clap:

Oy Vey (I said "more like") doesn't anyone read anymore?

Adept Havelock
05-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Oy Vey (I said "more like") doesn't anyone read anymore?

Yes, just not as carefully as we should. Oops.

mlyonsd
05-09-2007, 08:38 PM
We are supposedly sending soldiers to die every day so that the Iraqis can have the freedom to negotiate a political settlement that would bring peaceful end to the fighting between the Sunnis and Shia in Iraq.

yup.

Although let it be noted both of our political sides are keeping our soldiers there.

stevieray
05-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Seems like the voters did express their opinion of the war in spades in the last election Cheney/Rove is ignoring the will of the people.

So you don't care if they take two months off while our soldiers die for them?

Our soldiers die serving their country.

Logical
05-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Our soldiers die serving their country.

Prove to me that dying in Iraq serves the US interests and I will agree with you. Until you or the administration can do that, we are throwing away the precious lives of our young for nothing other than an administration grudge.

stevieray
05-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Prove to me that dying in Iraq serves the US interests and I will agree with you. Until you or the administration can do that, we are throwing away the precious lives of our young for nothing other than an administration grudge.

why do you keep changing your premise?

I'm sorry that people volunteering their lives is being used by you for an adminstration grudge.

Logical
05-09-2007, 09:04 PM
why do you keep changing your premise?

I'm sorry that people volunteering their lives is being used by you for an adminstration grudge.

Where did I change my premise. I have always said this, it is nothing new.

Taco John
05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
I support a withdrawl timetable predicated on the success of the Iraqis ability to make political progress. If they go on vacation, they're not making political progress.

trndobrd
05-09-2007, 09:51 PM
I suppose a relevant question would be if the legislature is simply not going to be in session, but the ministers and politicians still working and negotiating...or if the government ministers are going to be spending two months in Europe, Dubai or somesuch.

go bo
05-09-2007, 10:22 PM
I suppose a relevant question would be if the legislature is simply not going to be in session, but the ministers and politicians still working and negotiating...or if the government ministers are going to be spending two months in Europe, Dubai or somesuch.that would be a very relevent question...

very relevant ...

i'm hoping that the iraqi politicians will use whatever time they are not in session to try to reach agreement with the other parties involved...

I thought i saw something today about the parliment discussing whether or not to remain in session or cut the length of the planned vacation...

they didn't seem too happy about the political pressure from the u.s. wrt staying in session...

patteeu
05-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Of course not, although I might consider supporting a change in our approach toward standing up *this* government.

Radar Chief
05-10-2007, 09:06 AM
How about this as a compromise.
Our soldiers go on a “vacation” at the same time as the Iraqi vacation.
The day the Iraqi’s go on “vacation” all our troops pull back into their bases, shoot anyone that comes within 10 meters of the perimeter, and don’t patrol or come back out until the Iraqis resume their duties.

BucEyedPea
05-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I suppose a relevant question would be if the legislature is simply not going to be in session, but the ministers and politicians still working and negotiating...or if the government ministers are going to be spending two months in Europe, Dubai or somesuch.
I heard they're vacationing in Florida this year. :p

memyselfI
05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
No.

The soldiers get their two weeks hiatus a year. Why should we deprive the Iraqi government theirs???? :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
05-10-2007, 10:24 AM
No.

The soldiers get their two weeks hiatus a year. Why should we deprive the Iraqi government theirs???? :hmmm:

Because 14 days is 25% of 60 days....:rolleyes:

...and because WE aren't the ones trying to REBUILD our muthafuggin' country, maybe? :cuss::cuss::cuss:

Damn it, Dense....:banghead:

trndobrd
05-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I heard their vacationing in Florida this year. :p

"Ahmir, you've just been elected to the Iraqi Parliment and selected as Deputy Interior Minister. What are you going to do now?"

"I'm going to take the wives and kids to DISNEY WORLD!!"

cdcox
05-10-2007, 10:29 AM

I'm one who would probably change my mind on a pull out depending on whether the Iraqi government goes on vacation. It is there problem. If they are willing to work toward a solution, I would support them in working toward it. If they think this is a time for vacation, I'd be out of there.

go bo
05-10-2007, 11:30 AM
How about this as a compromise.
Our soldiers go on a “vacation” at the same time as the Iraqi vacation.
The day the Iraqi’s go on “vacation” all our troops pull back into their bases, shoot anyone that comes within 10 meters of the perimeter, and don’t patrol or come back out until the Iraqis resume their duties.what's this?

a new cut and run (vacation) strategy?

maby we should send them all to okinawa? :p :p :p

StcChief
05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
If this is truly about the the will of the people. or the court of media polling.

Dems should have NO PROBLEM pull funding and getting the votes to do so. (see Vietnam).... what's the problem go for it.

Mr. Kotter
05-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm one who would probably change my mind on a pull out depending on whether the Iraqi government goes on vacation. It is there problem. If they are willing to work toward a solution, I would support them in working toward it. If they think this is a time for vacation, I'd be out of there.

I'm with you.

Are you bringin' the Crown & Coke? :)

memyselfI
05-10-2007, 11:43 AM
what's this?

a new cut and run (vacation) strategy?

maby we should send them all to okinawa? :p :p :p

No. The US soldiers need to stay in Iraq to ensure that the Iraqi parliment vacations safely. We would hate for a suicide bomber to interrupt their holiday. The US is there to protect them whether they are working or lathering up on the SPF25...

it's all part of their job protecting us.

Mr. Kotter
05-10-2007, 11:46 AM
No. The US soldiers need to stay in Iraq to ensure that the Iraqi parliment vacations safely. We would hate for a suicide bomber to interrupt their holiday. The US is there to protect them whether they are working or lathering up on the SP25...

it's all part of their job protecting us.

:spock:

I sure hope you are being sarcastic; because the only other alternative is that you are just stupid....and despite our differences of opinion, I've never considered you stupid.

Er, eh.....well, at least not THIS stupid. :shake:

BucEyedPea
05-10-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm with you.

MM you like Crown too? We had a big running joke about Crown on a Buc board after the SB win. So Crown whiskey cakes etc. etc. starting turning up at parties. I made one myself. I noticed the gal who started it there is actually registered here too. Came to like that stuff. It just went on an on. Then the mods started banning people for bringing it up as a bad influence for a family board. They actually did that, yup! Nazis.

Digression over.

go bo
05-10-2007, 11:59 AM
...I sure hope you are being sarcastic... eh, you must be the one who didn't drink enough coffee this morning, or do you use decaf?

of course she was being sarcastic...

even without :rolleyes:, it's quite obvious to me that she was being sarcastic...

maby you need an adjustment on your sarcasm meter...

memyselfI
05-10-2007, 12:01 PM
eh, you must be the one who didn't drink his coffee this morning, or do you use decaf?

of course she was being sarcastic...

even without :rolleyes:, it's quite obvious to me that she was being sarcastic...

maby you need an adjustment on your sarcasm meter...

Whew, I thought I was losing my touch...

:p :D

cdcox
05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm with you.

You bring the Crown, I'll bring the Coke. Course I probably wouldn't spoil my Crown by pouring Coke in it.

Mr. Kotter
05-10-2007, 12:05 PM
MM you like Crown too? We had a big running joke about Crown on a Buc board after the SB win. So Crown whiskey cakes etc. etc. starting turning up at parties. I made one myself. I noticed the gal who started it there is actually registered here too. Came to like that stuff. It just went on an on. Then the mods started banning people for bringing it up as a bad influence for a family board. They actually did that, yup! Nazis.

Digression over.Hmmmm. Crown. :BLVD:

I can't afford the really good stuff. I can afford Crown occasionally though.
You bring the Crown, I'll bring the Coke. Course I probably wouldn't spoil my Crown by pouring Coke in it.
Fair enough. I'm a wuss.

go bo
05-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Hmmmm. Crown. :BLVD:

I can't afford the really good stuff.

Fair enough. I'm a wuss.when my wife and one of my sons went to niagra falls (back in 2001) we each carried 2 huge bottles of crown across the border...

we went across the border several times just to get the crown and then bring it back...

good stuff, straight up and on the rocks and even mixed with diet coke, it is still good stuff (but it's best straight up)...

Nightwish
05-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Whether or not we pull out our troops should have nothing to do with whether the Iraqis decide to "take a vacation." If you would rather do that than work on getting their country straightened out, that's on their shoulders, not ours. At least that's the way it should be. If the hawks and neocons had their way, everything would be on our shoulders, and the Iraqis would never have to lift a finger for themselves.

It's a funny juxtaposition, really, because the same people who denounce the government shouldering the responsibility of caring for Americans (i.e. welfare, which, for the record, I'm also against), are all in favor of the government shouldering the responsibility of taking care of another country. It's weird, because they're both anti-liberal and liberal-as-hell at the same time!

BucEyedPea
05-10-2007, 04:20 PM
It's a funny juxtaposition, really, because the same people who denounce the government shouldering the responsibility of caring for Americans (i.e. welfare, which, for the record, I'm also against), are all in favor of the government shouldering the responsibility of taking care of another country. It's weird, because they're both anti-liberal and liberal-as-hell at the same time!
Yup! Doing too much for anyone begets apathy and irresponsibility. Or they're that already.This is why NeoCons are not really conservatives....or I keep trying to tell pat. They're cradle to grave types.

mlyonsd
05-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Yup! Doing too much for anyone begets apathy and irresponsibility. Or they're that already.This is why NeoCons are not really conservatives....or I keep trying to tell pat. They're cradle to grave types.

One question.

Do you keep all your spices in a spice rack?

Logical
05-10-2007, 08:59 PM
One question.

Do you keep all your spices in a spice rack?:clap:

Mr. Laz
05-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Soldiers die?

when did this start?
making light of soldiers dying ..... nice.

stevieray
05-10-2007, 09:11 PM
making light of soldiers dying ..... nice.

what's the worst thing you've ever been through?

Mr. Laz
05-10-2007, 09:15 PM
what's the worst thing you've ever been through?
it what respects?

Logical
05-10-2007, 09:19 PM
what's the worst thing you've ever been through?Do you have to die to have empathy with dying soldiers? If so I guess you have set up a condition no one can meet. Nice.

Mr. Laz
05-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Do you have to die to have empathy with dying soldiers? If so I guess you have set up a condition no one can meet. Nice.
kinda what i was wondering .....

i mean do i need to have some kind of tragedy quotient to earn the right to have an opinion or something. :shrug:

lots of different kinds of "pain" in life

Emotional - family members dying

Physical - yanked out my car ... shot 9 times and left for dead by the side of the road in a pool of my own blood.

Emotional - watching family slowly die with Alzheimer's is terrible

worst embarrassment .. dam, i don't even want to go there

physical - pretty bad nerve damage ... true definition of physical pain.

i've had my share of bad stuff ......

is it a contest? What are the requirements?

stevieray
05-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Do you have to die to have empathy with dying soldiers? If so I guess you have set up a condition no one can meet. Nice.

Never said that. You are resorting to twisting the post around pretending you can't have an opinion or empathy.

Logical
05-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Never said that. You are resorting to twisting the post around pretending you can't have an opinion or empathy.

I am not twisting anything, I am trying to understand your conditional question? Seems to me that you were implying you hae to have been through something as horrible as dying as a serviceman to have an opinion. Maybe you should quit being so flippant and put full ideas out in your posts.

stevieray
05-10-2007, 10:46 PM
I am not twisting anything, I am trying to understand your conditional question? Seems to me that you were implying you hae to have been through something as horrible as dying as a serviceman to have an opinion. Maybe you should quit being so flippant and put full ideas out in your posts.

you implied someone couldn't have an opinion.

I already addressed that original post.

Logical
05-10-2007, 11:04 PM
you implied someone couldn't have an opinion.

I already addressed that original post.I did not, I said you were setting up a conditional where no one could have an opinion.

stevieray
05-10-2007, 11:11 PM
I did not, I said you were setting up a conditional where no one could have an opinion.

you can have an opinion, doesn't mean you can relate to what it's like.

can you and I relate to what a fireman does? or on the opposite end of the spectrum, a heart surgeon?

Logical
05-10-2007, 11:44 PM
you can have an opinion, doesn't mean you can relate to what it's like.

can you and I relate to what a fireman does? or on the opposite end of the spectrum, a heart surgeon?

Actually yes, relating does not mean you can do that job.

Radar Chief
05-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Physical - yanked out my car ... shot 9 times and left for dead by the side of the road in a pool of my own blood.

Damn Laz, did you get car jacked or something? You don’t have to get into it if you don’t want to.

Mr. Laz
05-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Damn Laz, did you get car jacked or something? You don’t have to get into it if you don’t want to.
something like that ........

definitely wrong place/wrong time

nothing like laying there half-conscious, looking up at the sky. Then out of the corner of your eye, you see your own blood start to expand in a big pool around you.

fortunately i passed out shortly there after ..... woke up later in a chopper with one of those mask on my face. I freaked out a bit and knock the mask off and starting swinging.

then the pain hit ... apparently one of the bullets was lodge in a bunch of nerves. It was like holding a red hot poker to an exposed nerve.

needlessly to say i spent the rest of the flight screaming

Radar Chief
05-11-2007, 08:36 AM
something like that ........

definitely wrong place/wrong time

nothing like laying there half-conscious, looking up at the sky. Then out of the corner of your eye, you see your own blood start to expand in a big pool around you.

fortunately i passed out shortly there after ..... woke up later in a chopper with one of those mask on my face. I freaked out a bit and knock the mask off and starting swinging.

then the pain hit ... apparently one of the bullets was lodge in a bunch of nerves. It was like holding a red hot poker to an exposed nerve.

needlessly to say i spent the rest of the flight screaming

Damn Laz, that’s rough. I’ve been shot at but never shot.
Is it safe to assume that everything functions mostly normally again?
Did they ever catch the worthless mother f*@#$r?

HemiEd
05-11-2007, 05:58 PM
If this is truly about the the will of the people. or the court of media polling.

Dems should have NO PROBLEM pull funding and getting the votes to do so. (see Vietnam).... what's the problem go for it.

I guess I don't understand your post. The Dems got us in Viet Nam and Republicans got us out. I know, I lived it.