PDA

View Full Version : Report: Junior to leave DEI

recxjake
05-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Report: Junior to leave DEI
Dale Earnhardt Jr. reportedly will leave DEI and start a new two-car Nextel Cup team at his own company -- JR Motorsports -- in 2008, with himself and Martin Truex Jr. as the drivers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2865745

recxjake
05-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Dale Jr. & Truex to JR Motorsports? press conference at 11am/et: Dave Moody reported on Wednesday afternoon's Sirius Speedway that Dale Earnhardt Jr. will announce tomorrow at JR Motorsports, that both he and #1-Martin Truex, Jr. will drive in the Nextel Cup Series for JR Motorsports in 2008. Hendrick Motorsports will provide engines for the team. A press conference is planned for 11:00am/et at JR Motorsports headquarters per a PR from the team and SPEED will interrupt regularly scheduled programming to go LIVE from the JR Motorsports race shop at 11:00am/et for a news conference with NASCAR Nextel Cup Series driver Dale Earnhardt Jr.(5-9-2007)

Joie
05-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Oh my. It sucks that I have to work tommorrow.

kstater
05-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Not so fast, ESPN just updated the link saying that the reports might be inaccurate.
I think he won't move until after the 2008 season. Just a hunch though.

recxjake
05-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Not so fast, ESPN just updated the link saying that the reports might be inaccurate.
I think he won't move until after the 2008 season. Just a hunch though.

His contract expires after this year.... DEI is only valuable with Junior... he should get whatever he asks for..... 51% is not even enough IMO

Woodrow Call
05-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm happy if its true. Screw Teresa.

kstater
05-09-2007, 08:42 PM
His contract expires after this year.... DEI is only valuable with Junior... he should get whatever he asks for..... 51% is not even enough IMO

I realize that his current contract expires after this year. But he holds all the cards. I think he can sign a 1 or 2 year contract with DEI in order to have time to build the Cup portion of his JR team. He can basically do whatever he wants. He has Budwieser, his Crew Chief, his team, and Truex in his back pocket. He can tell Teresa to shove it and do anything he pleases. He will have a Cup team with JR Motorsports, at the same time he can try and pry 51% from Teresa at DEI. Just a hunch though.

Baconeater
05-09-2007, 08:42 PM
If him and Truex both leave, DEI has nothing. :shake:

BigVE
05-09-2007, 08:52 PM
This is probably just a game of cat and mouse. He knows he has all the cards in his hands, BUT Teresa has the cash and the say so. If you think about it the only thing he has won is the most popular driver award, not even close for a championship, only a small handful of wins really. The guy is alright but he aint all that.

Smed1065
05-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Will they trade for Trent? A 4th rounder?

Joie
05-09-2007, 08:57 PM
http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/05/09/dearnhardtjr.mtruex.leaving.DEI/index.html

NASCAR.com is not saying anything other than the day and time of the press conference.

As for what he has, he is the Earnhardt legacy. He is the future of the Earnhardt name in NASCAR. I'd like to see him get 51% of DEI to keep that company alive.

Joie
05-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Will they trade for Trent? A 4th rounder?
Good idea, except NASCAR doesn't draft. How about a mediocre Busch driver?

Smed1065
05-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Sounds like a beer to me..................:)

Demonpenz
05-09-2007, 09:25 PM
DE might be driving a ford next year

LocoChiefsFan
05-09-2007, 09:36 PM
DE might be driving a ford next year
Hendrick Motorsports will provide engines for the team.
Hendrick is Chevy.

Demonpenz
05-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Hendrick is Chevy.

Well the rumors if DE stays with DEI rouch will join up with them. That would make it ford.

Joie
05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Well the rumors if DE stays with DEI rouch will join up with them. That would make it ford.
Or Rausch would switch to Chevrolet.

Demonpenz
05-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Or Rausch would switch to Chevrolet.

I doubt that would happen, i doubt any of this is anything but posturing.

dtebbe
05-09-2007, 09:47 PM

No that was Robert Yates. Get your gossip right. I fully expect Jr. to do his "own" thing. Rumor has it he will have Hendrick engines, which probably means he will have Hendrick chassis too. Nothing more than a way for Hendrick to get around the new ownership limits.

And I love that Jr. is sticking it to that smug beyotch of a step mother. This will be the beginning of the end for DEI. No Jr., no Budweiser, and no Bass Pro Shops. DEI will be a T-shirt & collectable company in 5 years

DT

Demonpenz
05-09-2007, 09:51 PM
good call DT

GoHuge
05-10-2007, 12:14 AM
So much for Teresa being a great business woman. I love that Junior is leaving and taking Martin with him. DEI will be dead, and that bitch is going to be left a memoribilia shop. With those two leaving DEI they will have Paul Menard (who is 38th in points and missed half the races) and possibly Ricky Rudd and David Gilliland if they merge with Yates.

It is strange though, Yahoo Sports had a story up 5 minutes ago saying it was a done deal giving all these insider details, and now they've taken it down and are running the AP story. It is crazy for him to have to buy in for 55 million when he is the company. He is the most popular highly marketable driver in all of NASCAR. The sponsorship dollars (which is what drives NASCAR) are irreplaceable.

Junior and Truex are two of the best drivers in the Cup series, but they don't have the equipment to compete with the big boys like Hendrick and Gibbs. JR Motorsports has more resources at their disposal than DEI. Alot of times this year Junior has had to use JR Motorsports equipment on his Cup car because DEI didn't have it. JR has a seven post shaker which for non NASCAR people is the most advanced, latest, and greatest piece of car building equipment. If he's running Hendrick chassis and engines he'll be much better off than he is at DEI.

Good luck Junebug!

I wonder what number he'll have next year. After Junior sticks it to Teresa I don't think there is anyway she lets him leave with the #8. It is ironic that he did a commercial doing a prank and telling everybody he changed his numer and there was anarchy among his fans. We'll see what hapens when that actually happens.

keg in kc
05-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Maybe they'll go Toyota.

Fruit Ninja
05-10-2007, 01:25 AM
DEI is done. They said they dont wanna give more then 41 percent? Cheap bastards, without him there will be no DEI. This is by far the worst desicion in the history of Nascar. JR Motorsports will be fine next year. They just use other people's parts for now.

DEI will have no named drivers for next year. I dont know who they can "try" to swindle. Again, they are done.

ROYC75
05-10-2007, 08:37 AM
WOW, I really never thought it would come to this. I figured in the end Jr would get it, Teresa did alot for DEI while Dale Sr was around, but since then it's all down hill.

Sad to see what Dale Sr setup fall on it's nose because of her ways.

Woodrow Call
05-10-2007, 10:04 AM
From jayski.com

Dale Jr. to leave DEI after 2007 season: Statement from Teresa Earnhardt/DEI: In response to today's announcement by Dale Earnhardt, Jr., that he will be leaving DEI, Teresa Earnhardt, CEO of Dale Earnhardt, Inc. issued the following statement. "While we are very disappointed that Dale Jr. has chosen to leave the family business, we remain excited about our company's future. Our aggressive expansion and diversification plans have not changed. This company has continued to thrive since Dale left us in 2001, and it will thrive following today's announcement. Dale and I built this company to be a championship-contender, and those principles still apply. Dale Earnhardt, Inc. will win, and we have other extremely talented drivers and hundreds of employees that are dedicated to the programs we founded. This company has a great legacy and a bright future, built on loyalty, integrity, and commitment."(DEI)(5-10-2007)

vailpass
05-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Maybe Jr. could perform a publicity stunt like crashing into a wall and going to a fiery death. Think of all the Dead Dale II stickers they could sell to the toothless public.
Think that would work?

Baconeater
05-10-2007, 10:51 AM
From jayski.com

Dale Jr. to leave DEI after 2007 season: Statement from Teresa Earnhardt/DEI: In response to today's announcement by Dale Earnhardt, Jr., that he will be leaving DEI, Teresa Earnhardt, CEO of Dale Earnhardt, Inc. issued the following statement. "While we are very disappointed that Dale Jr. has chosen to leave the family business, we remain excited about our company's future. Our aggressive expansion and diversification plans have not changed. This company has continued to thrive since Dale left us in 2001, and it will thrive following today's announcement. Dale and I built this company to be a championship-contender, and those principles still apply. Dale Earnhardt, Inc. will win, and we have other extremely talented drivers and hundreds of employees that are dedicated to the programs we founded. This company has a great legacy and a bright future, built on loyalty, integrity, and commitment."(DEI)(5-10-2007)
Yep, it's official now.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6796182

Woodrow Call
05-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Yep, it's official now.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6796182

As a Jr. fan I'm excited. Childress is an intriguing option for obvious reasons as is JR Motorsports with Hendrick support. Should be an interesting process.

ROYC75
05-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Maybe Jr. could perform a publicity stunt like crashing into a wall and going to a fiery death. Think of all the Dead Dale II stickers they could sell to the toothless public.
Think that would work?

That was a stupid statement........ BTA, considering who it came from ?

For a guy that has seen alot of deaths in Bronco players lately, one would think you would understand ? :hmmm: