PDA

View Full Version : Gordon: Let him break through in majors or try to regroup him in minors?

POND_OF_RED
05-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Obviously Gordon has struggled. I want to know how Chiefsplanet would fix the problem. Send him down to regroup or let him try to break through it in the majors. I think it is a delicate situation that could make or break this "franchise hope" since he is supposed to be the one to carry this team on his shoulders. At first I thought he would break through it but now I am starting to doubt whether he is ready or not. What do you think?

Demonpenz
05-09-2007, 08:37 PM
sink or swim time!

petegz28
05-09-2007, 08:39 PM
I think he needs to go to AAA for a bit. Going straight from AA to the Majors is not working for him. Look at how it helped Teahen last year and Butler this year! He needs to go down to get some success and feel what it is like again to be confident at the plate

Silock
05-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Maybe down for a couple of weeks, but no more than that.

It's not like he's a helluva lot worse than the rest of the team.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-09-2007, 08:50 PM
For his own good I believe some more minor league seasoning could only do him good.

For the teams good he's seems like as much a liability at this point as an asset. Move Teahen back to 3rd and play Sanders in the OF.

Gordon's time will come... I just don't think it's now.

alanm
05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Send him to Omaha for 3 weeks or so. He's pressing too hard at the plate and in the field. He never commits errors. Get him to Omaha where he can go home a couple of nights a week and relax.

Simplex3
05-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Where's the "who cares, it's freaking baseball" option?

Demonpenz
05-09-2007, 09:36 PM
For his own good I believe some more minor league seasoning could only do him good.

For the teams good he's seems like as much a liability at this point as an asset. Move Teahen back to 3rd and play Sanders in the OF.

Sanders is out possibly for the year. With teahans arm injury they don't want to mess with him throwing from 3 quarters like he does at theird anymore.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-09-2007, 09:36 PM
The team recently said that had they known he would have struggled like this they still would have made him their opening day 3B. Gordon responded that he really appreciated the faith that the organization showed to him through such a gesture.

Maybe that will help him out :shrug:

wazu
05-09-2007, 09:44 PM
I've never really understood the minor league system in baseball. Seems to me if these guys have so much talent, and have played the game since they were kids, they should step right in and learn to play against the best. What would it prove to have Gordon go tear it up in the minors for a little while? How do you get better by playing against worse competition?

dj56dt58
05-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Ya gotta send em down for the rest of the yr. The Royals arent making the playoffs anytime soon, so why jeapordise his entire career by not letting him finish develop?

HemiEd
05-09-2007, 09:59 PM
I think he needs to go to AAA for a bit. Going straight from AA to the Majors is not working for him. Look at how it helped Teahen last year and Butler this year! He needs to go down to get some success and feel what it is like again to be confident at the plate

Yep

HemiEd
05-09-2007, 10:01 PM

good

Bowser
05-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Let him learn this year in the majors. This is a rebuilding year, and these kind of growing pains are inevitable.

ChiefsCountry
05-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah if we send Gordon down and move back Teahen to third that will hurt his growth in the outfield. I dont think we want German at 3rd either. Let Gordon play it out here in KC.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I've never really understood the minor league system in baseball. Seems to me if these guys have so much talent, and have played the game since they were kids, they should step right in and learn to play against the best. What would it prove to have Gordon go tear it up in the minors for a little while? How do you get better by playing against worse competition?

The same reason why Earl Woods didn't have Tiger try for his tour card at 15, even though he probably would have gotten it. You learn to succeed by dominating your competition at each step, playing slightly better competition as time goes on, not going from mediocre to the best of the best.

Confidence is a very fragile thing. If you go from hitting .600 in High School to .220 in one year, it's going to wreck your confidence. Plus, you'll be going from guys who throw 82 mph to 95 mph, and guys that throw 4 pitches with tons of movement opposed to guys who throw 2 pitches totally flat. Why not develop a learning curve for the player so that he can pick up and adjust to pitching that is slightly, but progressively better rather than pitching that is in a whole other world compared to anything else he's ever seen?

RJ
05-09-2007, 11:32 PM
If I were King of the Royals I would give it until June 1st. If he's not producing by then it's time to send him down and take the pressure off. Gordon is hopefully a rare talent, there is no reason to ruin him. Remember, he never had a AAA at bat, AA to the major leagues is quite a jump. Even for Alex Gordon.

Halfcan
05-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Let him play.

keg in kc
05-09-2007, 11:38 PM
lHis average was .045 a month ago. He has hits in 7 of his last 10 games, and a current 3-game hitting streak. Keep him up.

err, forgot to tabulate today's game. Still hits in 7 of his last 10 games, but he 0'fered today.

Mr. Laz
05-09-2007, 11:39 PM
send him down to regain some confidence ..... prolly bring him back up at the All-Star break.

ChiefsCountry
05-09-2007, 11:44 PM
In his last 10 he is batting .226 in his last 10. I see improvement in him. Tonight he made a hell of a play at 3rd tonight.

RJ
05-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Let him play.

Exactly. That's why I'd like to see him sent down. The Royals have no reason to screw around with this, they're not going anywhere. Let him play......in AAA......if he ain't hitting by Memorial Day.

Halfcan
05-09-2007, 11:46 PM
lHis average was .045 a month ago. He has hits in 7 of his last 10 games, and a current 3-game hitting streak. Keep him up.

err, forgot to tabulate today's game. Still hits in 7 of his last 10 games, but he 0'fered today.

Yep Keg you are right- he has got a chance to see some nasty pitching in the Bigs that he would not have seen otherwise. It is not like the Royals are going anywhere- let the young guys get a chance.

Silock
05-09-2007, 11:47 PM
In his last 10 he is batting .226 in his last 10. I see improvement in him. Tonight he made a hell of a play at 3rd tonight.

He also dropped an easy fly ball. Not sure what happened there, because it hit him in the face.

keg in kc
05-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Tonight he made a hell of a play at 3rd tonight.He also got an error that cost Meche the win. (dropped a foul pop, Meche then walked the guy and gave up a homer to the next batter IIRC).

Mr. Laz
05-10-2007, 12:09 AM
He also got an error that cost Meche the win. (dropped a foul pop

He didn't drop it ..... it bounced off his face. :harumph:

keg in kc
05-10-2007, 12:12 AM
He didn't drop it ..... it bounced off his face. :harumph:They call that "the Canseco approach to fielding".