PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only person in the world who detects bullshit in the Warriors' name?

RealSNR
05-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Why the hell are they called "Golden State"? I know they've been that way for years, but that still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't make sense. That's like called the St. Louis Rams the Missouri Rams and still having the Kansas City Chiefs. Doesn't work. One team represents the state of Missouri and the other represents a small populated portion of that? **** that.

We've got the Lakers, Clippers and Kings in California. It would make sense to say the Oakland Warriors, just like the Raiders and Athletics. Why the hell call them Golden State? That's just gay.

05-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Just to piss you off.

ClevelandBronco
05-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Why the hell are they called "Golden State"? I know they've been that way for years, but that still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't make sense. That's like called the St. Louis Rams the Missouri Rams and still having the Kansas City Chiefs. Doesn't work. One team represents the state of Missouri and the other represents a small populated portion of that? **** that.

We've got the Lakers, Clippers and Kings in California. It would make sense to say the Oakland Warriors, just like the Raiders and Athletics. Why the hell call them Golden State? That's just gay.

Re: Golden State: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Gold_Rush

I'm far more puzzled by the Utah Jazz.

HolmeZz
05-10-2007, 01:00 AM
The Lakers doesn't make sense for Los Angeles either.

05-10-2007, 01:01 AM

I'm far more puzzled by the Utah Jazz.
They moved from New Orleans.

alanm
05-10-2007, 01:04 AM
The Lakers doesn't make sense for Los Angeles either.
And they moved from Minneapolis. I guess it's like the Indianapolis Colts. :shrug:

ChiefJustice
05-10-2007, 01:05 AM
Why is Dallas "America's Team"?

And why didn't we get to vote on that one?

Smed1065
05-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Thats is why I hate Dallas. It came from all the bandwagoneers, IMO.

RealSNR
05-10-2007, 01:09 AM

I'm far more puzzled by the Utah Jazz.I knew that. What gets me is that they're basically called the California Warriors when there are other teams in California.

Smed1065
05-10-2007, 01:10 AM
I knew that. What gets me is that they're basically called the California Warriors when there are other teams in California.

I assume you support another team in Cali?

RealSNR
05-10-2007, 01:13 AM
I assume you support another team in Cali?No. I don't really have a favorite basketball team. I usually root for teams that play good basketball. So they Lakers a few years ago, the Spurs, the Pistons.

ClevelandBronco
05-10-2007, 01:23 AM
They moved from New Orleans.

I know that, but couldn't they have had the decency to change the name of the franchise?

"Jazz" in the whitest place in the U.S.? Please.

05-10-2007, 01:26 AM
I know that, but couldn't they have had the decency to change the name of the franchise?

Seems that not many teams actually change their names in the NFL, NBA or MBL. Unless the city losing the team demands the rights to the name. aka Cleveland.

ClevelandBronco
05-10-2007, 01:26 AM
I knew that. What gets me is that they're basically called the California Warriors when there are other teams in California.

Yeah, I get what your saying. It'd be like an NFL team in Columbus (Yeah, right. That'd work.) naming themselves the Ohio Warriors when the Cleveland Browns and the Cincinnati Bengals are already there.

kcxiv
05-10-2007, 01:27 AM

lol, today we were watching the game at my house. one of my friends walks in the door and looks at the tv and goes, there is nothing but white people there. lol

HolmeZz
05-10-2007, 01:29 AM

There are other instances. Off the top of my head: Texas Rangers and Houston Astros; Florida Marlins and Tampa Bay Devil Rays; Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning.

ChiefJustice
05-10-2007, 01:31 AM

So you think a state of Mormons are "Un-Jazzy"?

Expect two men in suits at your door tomorrow morning,pal.
:)

ClevelandBronco
05-10-2007, 01:32 AM
Seems that not many teams actually change their names in the NFL, NBA or MBL. Unless the city losing the team demands the rights to the name. aka Cleveland.

Yeah, but then you end up with non sequiturs such as the L.A. Lakers, the L.A. Dodgers, the Utah Jazz, the Arizona Cardinals.

My favorite team these days is the Colorado Avalanche. They are the old Quebec Nordiques. I mean, wouldn't it be silly to name a team the Colorado Nordiques?

ClevelandBronco
05-10-2007, 01:34 AM
So you think a state of Mormons are "Un-Jazzy"?

Expect two men in suits at your door tomorrow morning,pal.
:)

As long as they're prepared to listed to some Benny Goodman (he's about as jazzy as old school white men get) before they deliver their message, they're welcome at my door.

Bugeater
05-10-2007, 06:26 AM

I'm guessing they are trying to disassociate themselves from the shithole that is Oakland. I can't say I blame them. Either that or they're gay.

OctoberFart
05-10-2007, 04:16 PM
It's all so you fools can root along an OAKLAND team. I bet half the people here had no idea that they played in OAKLAND til this year.

greg63
05-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Am I the only person in the world who detects bullshit in the Warriors' name?

Why yes; yes you are.

RealSNR
05-10-2007, 04:59 PM
It's all so you fools can root along an OAKLAND team. I bet half the people here had no idea that they played in OAKLAND til this year.Hell, I'm willing to bet half the people in Oakland didn't know they played in Oakland!