PDA

View Full Version : Spicing up chicken...

Fire Me Boy!
05-10-2007, 08:11 AM
I need some help... I've looked around on the 'net and found some spice rubs I want to use for chicken, but I know there are a lot of good cooks here on CP.

I'm trying to find ways to spice up chicken, but I'm not looking to grill exclusively. I cook a lot of chicken (mainly skinless, boneless breasts due to diet), but I don't always feel like firing up the grill.

I typically butterfly the breast to get more spice coverage and cook quicker and generally reach for the cast iron pan with just a touch of oil since the pan is pretty well-seasoned.

Anyone have a favorite spice rub/recipe/blend they like? I'm more interested in something I'd make myself, but if you're a big fan of a specific bottled rub I'd be interested in that, too!

Thanks!

Simply Red
05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
best ever

Fire Me Boy!
05-10-2007, 08:16 AM
What is it?

Simply Red
05-10-2007, 08:19 AM
What is it?

Basically, Garlic, Lemon, Cumin, Orange. Let is swim for a day and grill or cook anyway you'd like. You'll love it. Guaranteed. Find it in the Ethnic Isle at the Grocery store. Hell even Super Walmart carries it.

Fire Me Boy!
05-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Basically, Garlic, Lemon, Cumin, Orange. Let is swim for a day and grill or cook anyway you'd like. You'll love it. Guaranteed. Find it in the Ethnic Isle at the Grocery store. Hell even Super Walmart carries it.
I'll look for it. Thanks!

NewChief
05-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Maybe try a tandoori rub. I've been wanting to try one lately, but I don't eat much chicken at our house. I may have to do it this weekend

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Tandoori%20rub
Tandoori rub
Categories: Rubs
Yield: 1 Servings
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Ground corrander
1 teaspoon Ground cumin
1 teaspoon Ground ginger
1 teaspoon Salt
teaspoon Ground cardamom
teaspoon Ground cinnamon

Mix all ingred. Rub lamb, beef, pork and chicken. Bake or bar-b-que.

MOhillbilly
05-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Maybe try a tandoori rub. I've been wanting to try one lately, but I don't eat much chicken at our house. I may have to do it this weekend

Tandoori rub
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Ground cumin
1 teaspoon Ground ginger
1 teaspoon Salt
teaspoon Ground cardamom
teaspoon Ground cinnamon

a tsp of ginger? no thanks.

NewChief
05-10-2007, 08:56 AM
a tsp of ginger? no thanks.

Not a fan of ginger? I like it, and use it quite often. Freshly grated usually, but a rub would require powdered.

MOhillbilly
05-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Not a fan of ginger? I like it, and use it quite often. Freshly grated usually, but a rub would require powdered.

no, a hint of ginger ruins a meal for me. the rest sounds good but i dont know what this is cardamom.

(i like baked chicken in a bag)

Fire Me Boy!
05-10-2007, 09:03 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardamom

MOhillbilly
05-10-2007, 09:05 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardamom

blah. more ginger.

Frazod
05-10-2007, 10:33 AM
During the week when my wife works late, I tend to stirfry myself some chicken and broccolli, varying the sauce so I don't get sick of it (although every now and then I DO get sick of it, snap, and go to the nearest steak house and order a nice big juicy medium rare filet smothered with mushrooms, like I did last night, but I digress).

Anyway, in the produce section, Target sells tubes of garlic and ginger that taste fresh without the hassle of pressing/grinding them yourself. They taste great and are great time savers. I buy frozen broccolli florets at Costco and steam them while I'm cutting up and cooking the chicken (breasts also bought in bulk from Costco), then after I've removed the steamer I use the boiling water beneath to heat up a pack of noodles. For sauces, I vary between peanut, oyster, Szechwan and some Vietnamese stuff that I can't remember the name of right now. I also add some chili garlic sauce to the mix because I like it spicy. Basically I can prepare a big, reasonably healthy meal for myself in just over 10 minutes.

Kclee
05-10-2007, 11:29 AM
George likes his chicken spicey.

Fire Me Boy!
05-10-2007, 11:45 AM
I discovered a very nice flavor yesterday... instead of olive oil to grease the pan, use a chile infused olive oil. Give a very subtle heat, very nice. I'd never used the stuff before.

RJ
05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I usually throw to together a rub using paprika, salt pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ground thyme, cayenne, oregano or something to that effect. I'd say it ends up being about 1/4 paprika, the quantities just depends on what you like and what you're using it for. It works for most any meat or vegetable.

If you're wanting to grill or bbq you can use the same basic recipe and add some dry mustard, celery salt and brown sugar.

The nice part of mixing your own seasoning is that you can make them to your own taste. Like it hot, add more cayenne, don't like it hot, don't add any.

NewChief
05-10-2007, 12:05 PM
I usually throw to together a rub using paprika, salt pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ground thyme, cayenne, oregano or something to that effect. I'd say it ends up being about 1/4 paprika, the quantities just depends on what you like and what you're using it for. It works for most any meat or vegetable.

If you're wanting to grill or bbq you can use the same basic recipe and add some dry mustard, celery salt and brown sugar.

The nice part of mixing your own seasoning is that you can make them to your own taste. Like it hot, add more cayenne, don't like it hot, don't add any.

That's the general blackening rub, heavy on the paprika. I do a killer ahi tuna with that rub. High heat in a good chef-quality skillet. Two minutes on each side turns out perfect. Nice and red in the middle, seared blackening on the outside.

tooge
05-10-2007, 12:13 PM
try brining your chicken. Put 1 gallon of water, 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and two quartered lemons in a pot. Put the chicken in the pot over night. Then grill it or whatever, it will be the most moist chicken you have ever had. You can change up the bring a bit by adding soy sauce, orange juice, etc/

Fire Me Boy!
05-10-2007, 12:16 PM
try brining your chicken. Put 1 gallon of water, 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and two quartered lemons in a pot. Put the chicken in the pot over night. Then grill it or whatever, it will be the most moist chicken you have ever had. You can change up the bring a bit by adding soy sauce, orange juice, etc/
That would be way too long to brine a chicken. For a turkey that'd be fine, but I find chicken gets too salty after about 6 hours.

sedated
05-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Simple is teh best:
Oregano
Cilantro
Red Pepper
Black pepper
Tobasco

then cook some rice and use the same spices, add honey and asian chili sauce/paste with garlic (lots of it, 4-6 tablespoons). throw in some rotel tomatos.

made it last night, not bad.
but i was drunk a the time.

Simply Red
05-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Easy on citrusy substance though it'll eat the flesh of the meat and cause it to fall apart on the grill. Happened to me once when I marinated a ribeye in pineapple.

Simply Red
05-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Simple is teh best:
Oregano
Cilantro
Red Pepper
Black pepper
Tobasco

then cook some rice and use the same spices, add honey and asian chili sauce/paste with garlic (lots of it, 4-6 tablespoons). throw in some rotel tomatos.

Salt?

RJ
05-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Simple is teh best:
Oregano
Cilantro
Red Pepper
Black pepper
Tobasco

Between the alcohol and the chilies I'd wager this morning was rough.

StcChief
05-10-2007, 12:31 PM

Tandoori rub
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Ground cumin
1 teaspoon Ground ginger
1 teaspoon Salt
teaspoon Ground cardamom
teaspoon Ground cinnamon

Mix all ingred. Rub lamb, beef, pork and chicken. Bake or bar-b-que. Indian No DOT. Feather maybe.

POND_OF_RED
05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Antifreeze and jalapenos. Marinade over night. The spice is perfect. :thumb:

sedated
05-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Salt?

family history of high blood pressure, I don't put salt on anything

luv
05-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Simple is teh best:
Oregano
Cilantro
Red Pepper
Black pepper
Tobasco

That sounds really good minus the tobasco. I don't add that much to my rice though. Usually just some herb seasoning.

BucEyedPea
05-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Yummmmmmm! Chicken covered with Mexican spicy chocolate!

NewChief
05-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Yummmmmmm! Chicken covered with Mexican spicy chocolate!
Mole sauce is awesome. Now I want to have that instead this weekend. I may have to grill up a few kinds of chicken.

JohnnyV13
05-10-2007, 01:28 PM
if you want cajun style spicy chicken, you should get Paul Prudomme's cajun magic, which is available in most grocery stores.

luv
05-10-2007, 01:32 PM
I have some Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning that I use on a lot of stuff. That stuff on some shrimp or baked chicken is awesome. Plus no MSG. Mix that shrimp with a little angel hair pasta, and I'm good to go.

Carlota69
05-10-2007, 01:42 PM
I make a Corona Beer Chicken that's pretty good...but its better baked than on the grill.

Its very easy...

Marinate the chicken in Corona beers with limes.

Then put in a glass baking dish, add more beer, put the limes in the dish...add butter or whatever you use for that and add pepper and garlic (to your liking).

Put the oven on at 350 and baby the dish. Constantly hydrate the chciken with more beer or butter whatever you think it needs. About an hour later you should have some mighty fine Corona Chicken..and no you wont get buzzed on it (unless your a pussy)

BucEyedPea
05-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Mole sauce is awesome. Now I want to have that instead this weekend. I may have to grill up a few kinds of chicken.
Oh! Doh! :doh!:

There is such a thing? I thought I was making up something for fun!

Oh well, now I'll have to try it.

NewChief
05-10-2007, 03:27 PM

This looks like an easy one:
http://foodgeeks.com/recipes/recipe/2479,killer_chicken_mole.phtml

Eric
05-10-2007, 03:35 PM
I read that soaking in salt briny water for 30 minutes will increase juiciness. From a pan roasting recipe.

|Zach|
05-10-2007, 03:36 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sN48kxZut98"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sN48kxZut98" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Frazod
05-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Yes, it rocks. Look for it in the Mexican food section. Comes in a jar in paste form - you basically mix it 3 to 1 with chicken broth over low heat to create the sauce. Has a very unique taste.

BucEyedPea
05-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Oh that? That's like a rojo sauce I've had that in restaurants with the chocolate and p'nut butter. But thanks for the recipe. :drool:

I was thinking more like a pure chocolate covered chicken with some chili powder. :p

Stewie
05-10-2007, 03:44 PM
If you want a nice spicy twist, buy or make a jerk seasoning.

4 tablespoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1 crushed scotch bonnet pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Use 1-1/4 TBSP per pound of chicken (bone in).

NewChief
05-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Yes, it rocks. Look for it in the Mexican food section. Comes in a jar in paste form - you basically mix it 3 to 1 with chicken broth over low heat to create the sauce. Has a very unique taste.

I'm curious about the premade stuff from the store. I was thinking of making my own this weekend, but if the mole from the grocery store is decent, I may just use it. I have most of the spices on hand for the homemade, but I'd have to buy a few (probably the most expensive ones).

luv
05-10-2007, 05:59 PM
I make a Corona Beer Chicken that's pretty good...but its better baked than on the grill.

Its very easy...

Marinate the chicken in Corona beers with limes.

Then put in a glass baking dish, add more beer, put the limes in the dish...add butter or whatever you use for that and add pepper and garlic (to your liking).

Put the oven on at 350 and baby the dish. Constantly hydrate the chciken with more beer or butter whatever you think it needs. About an hour later you should have some mighty fine Corona Chicken..and no you wont get buzzed on it (unless your a pussy)
I'm going to try that out this weekend. Sounds great!

ExtremeChief
05-10-2007, 06:31 PM
If you don't want to make your own:

Montreal Chicken Seasoning

or

Lawry's Lemon Pepper 30 minute marinade

or

Marinate with Italian Dressing overnight

luv
05-10-2007, 06:58 PM
If you don't want to make your own:

Montreal Chicken Seasoning

or

Lawry's Lemon Pepper 30 minute marinade

or

Marinate with Italian Dressing overnight
Put chicken breasts in aluminum foil to where you close the foil on the top. Also put in lemon juice, lemon slices, and finely ground pepper. Make sure you have some foil on the wrack below it in case of drippage (or, of course, use a pan).

Frazod
05-10-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm curious about the premade stuff from the store. I was thinking of making my own this weekend, but if the mole from the grocery store is decent, I may just use it. I have most of the spices on hand for the homemade, but I'd have to buy a few (probably the most expensive ones).

I'm not a "from scratch" kind of cook, but I'm not bad with store bought sauces and such. Certainly I've had better mole sauce at good Mexican places, but the store bought stuff mixes up pretty good. In fact, perhaps I'll make some over the weekend myself.

Be advised - the paste jars are a pain in the ass to open - the lids pry off instead twist off. Very annoying. :grr:

the Talking Can
05-10-2007, 07:27 PM
buy some curry paste, green or red, cut it with some coconut milk...marinate, gril

if you got a blender, blend up some tequila, onion, garlic, lime juice, salt...whatever else you want, some cumin and red pepper (or an actual red pepper, thai or something) marinate, grilll

I've never been a big rub guy, to lazy to buy all the spices...

BucEyedPea
05-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Be advised - the paste jars are a pain in the ass to open - the lids pry off instead twist off. Very annoying. :grr:
Thanks for the additional info. AAMF, this info is vital, as it means I'll have to invite a man over if I wanna eat it. 'Bout the only thing they're good for these days as I've posted before: opening hard to open lids and getting things down from high shelves. ( not to mention football and politics) LMAO

Frazod
05-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the additional info. AAMF, this info is vital, as it means I'll have to invite a man over if I wanna eat it. 'Bout the only thing they're good for these days as I've posted before: opening hard to open lids and getting things down from high shelves. ( not to mention football and politics) LMAO
It's not so much a strength issue (nothing to get a grip on) as a patience issue. You just use a knife (or the counter edge) on each side a little bit at a time until the friggin lid comes off.

I hope whoever came up with the concept of these friggin jars is roasting in hell right now (right next to the twisted bastard who devised the impenetrable hard plastic wrappers). :#

NewChief
05-10-2007, 07:52 PM
It's not so much a strength issue (nothing to get a grip on) as a patience issue. You just use a knife (or the counter edge) on each side a little bit at a time until the friggin lid comes off.

I hope whoever came up with the concept of these friggin jars is roasting in hell right now (right next to the twisted bastard who devised the impenetrable hard plastic wrappers). :#

I go through a pair of utility scissors about once a year entirely because of those plastic wrappers. I think the two industries are in league.

BucEyedPea
05-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Now I've less trouble with those wrappers than some lids. Guess I don't get them often. I only recall one incident where I had to sit and figure out for awhile how I'm gonna get inside. I do all those things you say with the lids and still turn blue frazod.

ChiefsFan4Life
05-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Tandoori rub
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Ground cumin
1 teaspoon Ground ginger
1 teaspoon Salt
teaspoon Ground cardamom
teaspoon Ground cinnamon

I just tried this today and it is very good. I used it on chicken and baked the chicken. I think it would be better used when the chicken is going to be grilled, I will be sure to try it again that way.

Thanks for the recipe.

Simply Red
05-11-2007, 02:18 PM
I discovered a very nice flavor yesterday... instead of olive oil to grease the pan, use a chile infused olive oil. Give a very subtle heat, very nice. I'd never used the stuff before.
nice