PDA

View Full Version : Moral Question

Otter
04-09-2001, 04:10 PM
Your driving down the road behind an armored truck, the door flys open and a big bag of money falls out. You pull over to retrieve the money, no one is around to see and the armored truck keeps on driving. Do you keep it?

Personally, I keep the money, catch up to the truck and wait to see if another flys out.

Boy I wish we'd sign a QB :)

keg in kc
04-09-2001, 04:16 PM
I think I should give the money back, but finding a bag of money laying in the middle of the road would be awfully tough to part with. Probably would depend on what sort of day I've had up to that point.

58Forever
04-09-2001, 04:26 PM
Sorry to say....I'd keep the money...the hardest part would be not telling anyone because you know if you did they'd either rat you out or want a piece or both...

I remember reading about some idiot in Florida who found like 4 mil in a trash bag...obviously drug money...he turned it in...granted, if he kept it he'd have to be very careful about looking over his shoulder for the dealers...but if it were me, I'd be so far away from Florida no one would ever suspect a thing...

ExtremeChief
04-09-2001, 04:39 PM
I'm sorry to say I'd probably keep the money too. I figure the banks have been ripping off John Q. Public for years, so I consider this a score for the little guy.

Maybe give some of it to charity to help relieve the conscience a little...

sliding down from moral high ground...

58Forever
04-09-2001, 04:42 PM
Yes, good point Extreme, give some to charity, ease the guilt a little...sad thing is I wouldn't feel guilty at all...I'd still give some to charity though...

Bwana
04-09-2001, 04:47 PM
Wow, tough call guys, I know if I did boost the cash, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night wondering if some FBI agent was going to be knocking on my door. On the other hand, if I gave it back, I would be kicking myself in the A$$ for years to come thinking about all the fun I "could of had" with the cash.

Tell you what, why don't one of you boys drive past my house and drop a sack of green out the window and I'll make the call at that point in time............ok?

58Forever
04-09-2001, 04:53 PM
Extreme, does the BFE in your location stand for what I think it does?

Bum **** Egypt?

ExtremeChief
04-09-2001, 05:02 PM
Just another thought...this topic reminds me of the movie A Perfect Plan. Don't know if it solves the morality question, but those guys sure had a hell of a time...

The Lottery: You can't win if you don't play...(you won't lose a dollar if you don't either) ;)

ExtremeChief
04-09-2001, 05:07 PM
Nope...It's Bum ****ed Ethiopia

j/k...small town (1900ish) North Central Missouri...Milan...where men are men and sheep are scared...

...damnit, now John Cougar's Small Town is stuck in my head...

Otter
04-09-2001, 05:10 PM
AHHH...

I like that charity thing to help clear the conscience. Maybe give an anonymous scholership to the single mom working her way thru college.

The only thing I would feel bad for is the guy driving the truck and whats going to happen to him. Is he going to lose his job? I'm sure they don't write off a bag of money.

Maybe ya could offer to knuckle him up to make it look like a robbery.

If I found a garbage bag with 4 million in it (drug money!!!) there would be no conflict of conscience what so ever.

I'd be fishing for blue marlin, with a playboy bunny in one hand and a margaritta in the other. Wait a minute, how would I fish, both hands are tied up?

Mile High Mania
04-09-2001, 05:11 PM
I would take the money and wait 48 hours to hear if it is reported missing. Then, I would donate some to charity, set my family up with some... and then, it's off to the local strip club for some therapy to ease my mind. :-) Plus, isn't that a form of charity as well?

ExtremeChief
04-09-2001, 05:16 PM
Mile High,

I don't know if the IRS will let you deduct that on your taxes as "Charitable Donation"...I'm sorry to say that probably falls under "Services Rendered"...

If I had a million dollarrrrssss......I'd go to a strip club...(but not a real strip club, that's cruel...)

Otter
04-09-2001, 05:18 PM
Mile High,

The strip club is indeed a form of charity. Those girls arn't there for their health ya know :D

Perfect Plan - That was a good movie! The ending was poetic justice when the FBI agent told him all the money was marked and all the death and mayham were for nothing.

Mile High Mania
04-09-2001, 05:20 PM
It was a Simple Plan and it was an excellent movie!! Another stroke of genius by Billy Bob Thronton... hell, Paxton was good.

ExtremeChief
04-09-2001, 05:24 PM
I was talking about the movie A Perfect Plan with Jimmie Stewart and Clark Gable....they found $2000 in a sack behind an old folks home, Jimmie wanted to take it back,...ok, you got me...lol

standing corrected...

Otter
04-09-2001, 05:35 PM
Don't feel bad X-Chief (is that ok for an abbreviation?) not only was I following your lead, I gave away the end of the movie.

ExtremeChief
04-09-2001, 05:38 PM
that's fine, as long as it's not associated with x-wife...

working on next x...

BIG_DADDY
04-09-2001, 06:46 PM
1. Keep the money.

2. Move to the mountains

3. Ride motorcycles and cook all the time.

4. Don't pay any more taxes.

5. Travel and chase the women of the world.

YEAAAAA BABY!!!!

BIG DADDY

Would never feel guilty. For who the insurance company? NOT

Gaz
04-09-2001, 08:13 PM
My conscience would not allow me to keep it. I would turn it in and hope there was a reward.

I am such a boy scoutÖ

xoxo~
Gaz
Not wild enough to live outside the law.

DanT
04-09-2001, 08:17 PM
I'd turn the money in. If it were me driving that truck, I'd want others to do the same.

Around midnight one day a couple of years ago I found a roll of ten twenties on my walk home from the hospital where I work. It was in a little planter on the sidewalk, on the edge of my hospital's property. I handed it to one of the hospital security guards, pointed to where I found it and gave him my name. He said I could claim it in 3 months.

On the morning about 3 months later when I had planned to claim the money, I found another 5 bucks on a city sidewalk. That worked out to a nice 10% (per year) return, except I asked the head of security to keep 20 bucks to tip the officer to whom I turned the money in. Still, I came out $185 ahead. Which isn't a hell of a lot compared to the hypothetical bag of money in this example, but I bring it up because there was one thing I learned by my experience:

Absolutely no one will blame you for keeping the money; in fact, you'll be ridiculed if you don't! ;)

kcred
04-09-2001, 08:19 PM
Since you are committing a felony, you would have to weigh the risk versus rewards. With my luck it would be cancelled checks anyway.

Joe Seahawk
04-09-2001, 08:21 PM
I would like to think that I would turn the money in, but I cant honestly say I would...

Joe...Not sure I would even want to be in that situation...

DanT
04-09-2001, 08:31 PM
Remember the Miami Brinks truck crash in that poor Miami neighborhood? You should have seen the frantic scamble of people trying to rid themselves of their dignity:
http://www.cnn.com/US/9701/08/loose.change/

Gaz
04-09-2001, 08:43 PM
I am sure that my relative financial comfort plays a large part in my belief that I would turn the money in. I do not know if my conscience would loom so large were I faced with the choice of stealing or watching my family suffer poverty.

xoxo~
Gaz
Lives well enough to be content.

Mile High Mania
04-09-2001, 10:35 PM
Dangit... leave it to Gaz to be that li'l dude with the halo on our shoulders!! ;-) I'm living really comfortable as well, the question is ... how much comfort is enough. Plus, I did say that I would give it the 48 hour rule to see if anyone claimed it missing.

It's kinda like the 3 second rule when you drop a piece of candy on the ground. If you pick it up within 3 seconds, do you still eat it?

Gaz
04-10-2001, 07:55 AM
MHM-

If you blow hard enough, all the germs fly off and you can extend the 3-second rule considerably. And if you have vacuumed or swept recently [not likey at Hacienda Gaz], the time constraint can be removed entirely.

xoxo~
Gaz
Thinks he sees a Rolloô under his desk.

morphius
04-10-2001, 08:34 AM
With my luck the bill would be sequential and therefore useless to me and I would have to turn it in.

Now finding the garbage bag of drug money is another story all together...

Morphius
Just not that lucky.

BIG_DADDY
04-10-2001, 09:05 AM
You guys are killing me. Like banks and insurance companies money is any cleaner than drug money. They just have a license to steal that's all. I would still take the money and run.

BIG DADDY

Is comfortable being the bad guy.

seclark
04-10-2001, 09:58 AM
before i could say what i'd do, i'd need to know how much money was in the bag.
(obviously not giving it back...)
sec

HC_Chief
04-10-2001, 10:10 AM
It is insured money.

gh4chiefs
04-10-2001, 10:20 AM
I would like to think I would turn it in, as that would be the right thing to do. Unfortunately, if faced with that situation, I'm afraid I'd be tempted to keep it.

This question reminds me of all the times in my life when I've faced similar moral dilemas on a smaller scale. Such as when the clerk gives me too much change back. I can remember on at least a couple of occaisons where I kept my mouth shut and kept the excess change.

I'm also reminded of the argument I had with my grandfather one time when the soda machine gave me two sodas instead of one. I used some of the same arguments I've read here about how the company ripped us off, etc.

I'm not feeling very good about myself right now.

Iowanian
04-10-2001, 10:55 AM
My dad raised me to always tell the truth and be honest...The biggest lesson I learned at college was that Honesty is NOT!!! always the best policy. I got into some trouble over a simple joke a group of us pulled, I took the heat, and all I'd have had to do was LIE and walk away clean...Told the truth and they decided to "make an example"....never again...

I take the money, and buy the queen of the other board a CLUE ;) and its hard to feel guilt in a new bass boat.

http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/contrib/fk/angel.gif ~ST Gaz after a bubble bath

http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/cwm/cwm/angryfire.gif ~Iowanian after admitting being part of harmless prank.

Otter
04-10-2001, 11:00 AM
Gary,

Sounds like you need to come to the strip club with us.

Seriously, its easy for me to sit here and say I would keep the money buy my conscience has gotten the better of me many many times.

When I was about 7 or 8 I stole a smoke bomb from a five and dime store and could not sleep that night. At about 12:30am broke down and went crying into my parents room asking if I was going to get arrested.

I probably wouldn't be able to enjoy the money for fear of being taken away and sent to prison where I would be traded daily for a pack of Lucky's and an issue last years Playboy.

hmmmm... can I change my answer.

Phobia
04-10-2001, 11:07 AM
I'd turn it in. No matter if the insurance companies or any other "establishment" rips you off, the simple fact is that the money doesn't belong to me. I didn't earn it. In adhering to this code, I've found that one always reaps what one sows. I've lost my wallet loaded with hundreds in cash and had a 10 year old boy return it to me within minutes. His reward was 20%. I've also been very fortunate over the years. I can't recall having much stolen from me other than some fishing equipment a VERY long time ago (and that was when I was 17 and shortly after I had stolen several cases of beer). I don't know if that has anything to do with my lifestyle but I can feel good about myself, I guess.

JOhn
04-10-2001, 11:51 AM
Funny thing is we were just discussing this the other day at work. It's one of those questions that's almost imposiable to answer untill you really have it happen. But assuming that this is money from a pick-up from some bussiness, and is most likely untracable, then I would have a very difficult time returning it.

Now before anyone thinks I'm greedy and dishonest, let me give my reasons. Would I be doing this just to make my life easier? No in fact I would probebly sit on the money (so to speak) for awhile. I have been at the low end of the economic ladder to many times in my life to look a gift horse in the mouth. And as a father who has struggled many times to provide the basics for my kids I would not feel real guilty using the money to help them. Especially my daughter who is disabled. I would also make sure that some of it was used to insure that she was taken care of after I leave this world.

Now am I sitting a bad example for my kids? Yes if in fact they became aware of the means that I aquired the money, then I would be a hypocrite. But would I feel guilty for breaking the rules for my family, NO.

Now having said all that would I reallly keep the money? Probebly not, but who Knows??????

DanT
04-10-2001, 04:00 PM
I agree that it's hard for anyone to know for sure what they'd do until they are confronted with the situation. Speaking for myself, I've rationalized my way into a lot of wrong deeds, including ones that involved other peoples' money and/or property, when opportunities arose.

Speaking of vending machines, I'm one of those bastards who sometimes puts a bunch of spare pennies into the change returns of vending machines and pay phones. I get some kind of sick, twisted pleasure out of the idea that somebody, upon first feeling them in there, will think they're dimes. ;)

RJ
04-10-2001, 10:47 PM
Knowing myself fairly well, here's what would happen.

1) I'd return the money. It's the right thing to do.

2) I'd begin questioning myself immediately afterwards.

3) Years later, people would be saying "Oh, no, here goes Randy again with that damn story about how he gave back all that money he found and what he could have done if he'd kept it. Yes, Randy, we have heard this story before".

Story of my life. A conflict between morals and ambition where neither ever wins. The true winner is Guilt. A feeling I can't stand so I always give in so as to avoid it.

Zebedee DuBois
04-16-2001, 07:26 PM
The Five Second Rule

We have all heard of the five-second rule. It is a rule of thumb that says that if you drop a cookie on the floor and pick it up within five seconds, it is still all right to eat the cookie.
After giving this some thought, I have concluded that this is an oversimplification of the actual thought processes that occur in this situation. I have identified seven different factors that affect your resistance to eating off the floor, and arranged them in an equation to show their relationship to each other and to your ultimate decision. Several are negative influences and they go in the numerator of the equation. Others are positive and go in the denominator of the equation. Thus, if there are many negative factors and few positive, the overall value (Resistance to eating off the floor, shown as [r] in the equation) is high. If the negative factors are low, and positive factors high, your resistance to eating off the floor approaches zero. (Please note: In teenage boys, especially in the presence of other teenagers, some of the normally negative values actually become positive, and there is almost no resistance to eating anything, in any condition, if he thinks it will impress or gross out his peers)

An explanation of the individual factors with their symbols indicated by brackets follows.

Negatives:
Awaren[e]ss of others: If you are alone, you are more likely to eat from the floor than if you are being observed. Just as you might drink directly from the milk carton if you are alone, you are unlikely to do it if your wife is watching you.
Seco[n]ds it has been on the floor: We are all familiar with this aspect of the equation. If you saw it hit the floor, you know itsí condition. If you walked into the room and see food on the floor, you are less likely to want it.
Abundance or [j]umbo quantity of the food: If you have a whole tub of popcorn, and one piece hits the floor, you probably wonít go after it. If you dropped the last Girl Scout cookie that you had saved in the back of your desk drawer, you might dive for it.
C[o]ntamination or dirtiness of the floor: Imagine that dropped popcorn in your living room. Now imagine it at the movie theatre.
Gooe[y]ness of the food: You have a piece of toast with jelly and drop it on the linoleum, if it lands on the toast side Ė no problem; if it lands on the jelly side Ė yuck. Piece of hard candy Ė no problem; same candy after you already sucked on it Ė no way.

Positives:
Hungr[i]ness: Lets face it. Hunger has been one of the great motivators since the dawn of time.
Lus[t] for the food item: This is different from hunger. Letís say that I have an abnormal hankering for Little Debbies Nutty Bars. Itís got chocolate. Itís got peanut butter. Itís got a wafer cookie. It is way yummy. Iíve been thinking about eating one all morning. I canít wait for a break to get one from the candy machine. When I finally do get one, I start opening the package before I even make it back to my desk. I drop it. Now, am I really just hungry for that Nutty Bar? No way! I was lusting for that Nutty Bar. I wanted that Nutty Bar. I was emotionally invested in that Nutty Bar and now it just bounced under my desk. Well... really... only my feet were under there and I hardly ever step in nasty things. You get the idea.

The equation can be expressed as follows:

[e][n][j][o][y] / [i][t] = r

The amazing thing is that the human brain can swiftly assign values to each factor and compute the final value. It only takes... about five seconds.

Nelson Muntz
04-16-2001, 09:02 PM
this is dealing with the reply about giving back extra change if the cashier gave you extra. the other day i was at mcdonalds and for the third day in a row they f@cked up my order. only this time i didn't notice until after i was a mile out of town. so of course i took the fries that i didn't order and hid them under my cd's and went back and got my order. so i got free fries out of the deal. and i didn't feel a d@mn bit guilty either. of course god payed me back by helping me spill my fries all over the car. but i had just vacuumed the car out the day before so they were safe to eat according to gaz's reply. well at least i think it was gaz's reply.

and no i would not give the money back.