PDA

View Full Version : BBQ'ing for a crowd, looking for tips

RJ
05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I see there are quite a few grillers and bbq'ers here on the planet and I'm wondering if you have any tips on feeding a big crowd, about a hundred or so. We do this work party every year, it started out just employees, then expanded to families and now has expanded to include most anyone who happens along. I cook every year but not for this many before.

Here's what I'm working with. I'll have 4 grills, all charcoal 3 of them pretty good sized, 2x3 approximate. I'll also have a Weber kettle. I'm cooking about 30 racks of ribs and a boatload of chicken legs. I'm planning on doing the ribs indirect using the three big grills and I'll do the chicken on the Weber.

What I'm hoping is that I might get some suggestions here I might not have thought of. Tools, equipment, techniques that might make things easier or give me better results. Also, any ideas on prep work I can do today or tomorrow that would help me on Saturday. Any constructive thoughts would be much appreciated.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-10-2007, 12:18 PM
I got nuthin'... I've never cooked for that many.

Phobia
05-10-2007, 12:20 PM
For a big crowd I love to do pulled pork. I think you'll find 30 racks of ribs and chicken legs will be plenty though.

I dunno. I rarely BBQ for huge crowds. I think 50 has been my max.

As far as prep, I always brine my ribs for 4-36 hours beforehand. Equipment? Foil. Lots and lots of foil.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-10-2007, 12:21 PM
And a fluffer. Tell the company they'll need to provide you a fluffer.

wutamess
05-10-2007, 12:26 PM
rib tips?

Fish
05-10-2007, 12:36 PM
This may be common sense to you... but try and keep the stuff that needs occasional checking/flipping separate from the ribs. I've seen many a chef shoot themselves in the foot trying to cook for a large group and having something like ribs that need a good constant temp on the same grill as burgers or brats. The constant opening of the grill will screw up the ribs.

Good luck.. that's a lot of cooking...

tooge
05-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Rub the ribs with a real thin coat of regular mustard. Then prinkle on a fairly heavy dose of rib rub(see below) and spray with apple sauce every hour or so. Cook them for about 2 hours then foil them for two more hours, then sauce them and give em a saucing (see below) and cook for 30 more minutes.
rub: 1 cup brown sugar
1 cup paprika
1/2 cup garlic powder
1/2 cup onion powder
1/2 cup chili powder

sauce 5 parts KC masterpiece to 1 part honey
these ribs will knock your sox off. Dont let the temp of the grill get higher than 300.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-10-2007, 12:58 PM
sauce 5 parts KC masterpiece to 1 part honey
I was with you until this. You lost all credibility there.

stlchiefs
05-10-2007, 01:03 PM

Yeah, I'm not a grilling expert, but I like my barbecue sauce and I KC Masterpiece is like buying Kraft BBQ sauce in my opinion. I like Gates and Sweet Baby Rays.

chasedude
05-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I'm not a grilling expert, but I like my barbecue sauce and I KC Masterpiece is like buying Kraft BBQ sauce in my opinion. I like Gates and Sweet Baby Rays.

Mmmmm Gates HI, MAY I HELP YOU!!! :p

tooge
05-10-2007, 01:21 PM

I am on a competition BBQ team (event coming up at the woodlands memorial day we will be at site 454, stop by), and one of the BBQ competition "secrets" is this BBQ sauce (masterpiece and honey), in fact,, this sauce has been used to win the American royal in the rib division more than once. Sorry, I thought the same thing the first time I read it on bbqforum.com, but it is tru. My personal sauce is catsup, mustard, molasses, honey, worshteshire sauce and some of the rub I mentioned. Anyhow, just try it.

tooge
05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
I am on a competition BBQ team (event coming up at the woodlands memorial day we will be at site 454, stop by), and one of the BBQ competition "secrets" is this BBQ sauce (masterpiece and honey), in factHello - commatard on the loose. this sauce has been used to win the American royal in the rib division more than once. Sorry, I thought the same thing the first time I read it on bbqforum.com, but it is tru. My personal sauce is catsup, mustard, molasses, honey, worshteshire sauce and some of the rub I mentioned. Anyhow, just try it.

thank mods, sorry bout the runonandonandonandonandon,,,,,,,,,.

NewChief
05-10-2007, 02:02 PM
A good, easy BBQ sauce:

Head Country then add a half a can of some sort of fruit nectar.

tooge
05-10-2007, 02:08 PM
that head country is great on brisket

MOhillbilly
05-10-2007, 02:11 PM
start early.

Stewie
05-10-2007, 03:40 PM

Believe it or not, this is VERY common (it has to be KCM Original). You'd be surprised at the number of great competition BBQers who use this.

Stewie
05-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Be prepared to work your ass off. Cooking BBQ for that many and having it all taste good is an art.

MOhillbilly
05-10-2007, 03:43 PM
even if they beg, they cant look till its done.

Kerberos
05-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Just marinade all your meats in anitfreeze. Gives it a nice sweet taste and will leave your guests dying for more!

:D

Braincase
05-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Give them all hot dogs and brats, then when you're winding down, throw on a couple of filets for yourself, and give 'em the look like "You m*****f***** want a steak, you do the d*** cookin', beotch!"

RJ
05-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Ok, lots of good advice there. Braincase's idea may be the best......I'll cook about a hundred chicken franks and then go get drunk.

tooge, in that rub recipe, is that regular old yellow mustard? How many racks do you figure that rub covers, enough for this project? I might give it a try.

So far I've added to my list.....more foil, antifreeze and a fluffer. Can I get a fluffer at Sam's Club?

mikeyis4dcats.
05-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Ok, lots of good advice there. Braincase's idea may be the best......I'll cook about a hundred chicken franks and then go get drunk.

tooge, in that rub recipe, is that regular old yellow mustard? How many racks do you figure that rub covers, enough for this project? I might give it a try.

So far I've added to my list.....more foil, antifreeze and a fluffer. Can I get a fluffer at Sam's Club?

yup, the blue vest and removable teeth are signs of a great fluffer...

Fried Meat Ball!
05-10-2007, 08:14 PM

Yes, but she'll be just a generic. And very large (bulk sizes, man).

You're better off getting the fluffer at a specialty shop.

cdcox
05-10-2007, 09:46 PM

I'm obviously not tooge, but yes on regular yellow mustard, and I'd probably double ot triple that rub recipie for 30 racks of ribs.

RJ
05-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Well, it was a lot of work but I got through it quite successfully. Assuming the compliments were sincere the crowd really enjoyed the ribs. And yes, I did use the mustard baste before the rub and will do so again. Thank you tooge and Phobia. I started with the mustard, then a rub which is much like tooge's but with some other ingredients. I also made a mop sauce of apple juice, cider vinegar, lemon juice and a few dry ingredients.

Turns out that basically cooking for a hundred is about the same as cooking for four........except it takes a lot longer and you have to move a lot faster. Oh, and I also learned that fifty out of a hundred people will want to congregate near the grill area and get in the cook's way, which is extra annoying when they're all drinking and the cook has decided to not drink until his work is done......drunks annoy the hell out of me when I'm sober :) And speaking of drunks, the whole thing would have been easier had my wing man not turned into one. But hey, he had a good time and he was only expected to take care of the chicken.

Total time invested ended up being about 4 hours prep work and maybe 6 hours cooking. I used four charcoal and one gas grill, the gas was for hot dogs and some of the chicken.

By the way, the baby backs at Sam's Club are damn good. I'm no fan of WalMart but I must admit these were quite good.

I'd happily do this again next time but I also won't mind that it doesn't happen for another year. Unless I decide to get a booth at the State Fair, I think I'm qualified now. RJ's Ribs and Cotton Candy, I'll just have to get one of those cotton candy machines.