PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Camping Ideas

R&GHomer
05-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Quick question for any of you living in Colorado. I'd like to find a good scenic location with fishing, boat rentals and atv trails. Nice cabins on the lake would be awesome also. If anyone knows of a popular place or even something off the beaten path It would be greatly appreciated. With gas prices going through the roof the closer to KS the better, but definitely not the deciding factor.

CP never lets me down so thanks in advance.

4th and Long
05-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Whatever you do, m sure you buy a Bear Bell before you go camping. Buy one for each member of the camping party. Take a Sharpee and write each person name on the bell, then hang them around their necks before going out into the woods.

What's that you say? A bell will scare away a bear?

Nope, but if you come across a pile of bear shit with a bell in it, you'll know which one of your camping buddies ended up as a snack.

R&GHomer
05-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Whatever you do, m sure you buy a Bear Bell before you go camping. Buy one for each member of the camping party. Take a Sharpee and write each person name on the bell, then hang them around their necks before going out into the woods.

Nope, but if you come across a pile of bear shit with a bell in it, you'll know which one of your camping buddies ended up as a snack.

I'll keep that in mind :) Fuggin bear jumps out at me and I'm shooting his azz. I'll pay the fine later.

listopencil
05-10-2007, 04:23 PM

Whenever you go out into the woods just make sure that you aren't the slowest runner in the group. Take an old smoker with you.

R&GHomer
05-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Whenever you go out into the woods just make sure that you aren't the slowest runner in the group. Take an old smoker with you.

I like the way you think. You don't have to be the fastest person in the group, just not the slowest.

sedated
05-10-2007, 04:25 PM
CP never lets me down

let down yet?

Stewie
05-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Check out Breckenridge. It has just about everything including ATV trails nearby. In fact, check out Dillon, CO, too. There's a nice lake and Breckenridge isn't very far from there.

R&GHomer
05-10-2007, 04:26 PM
let down yet?

LOL... nah. Rainman or someone will show up and enlighten me before to long.

R&GHomer
05-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Check out Breckenridge. It has just about everything including ATV trails nearby. In fact, check out Dillon, CO, too. There's a nice lake and Breckenridge isn't very far from there.

Cool, I'll look them up. Thanks

listopencil
05-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I like the way you think. You don't have to be the fastest person in the group, just not the slowest.

You can learn a lot from video games.

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/Libarary's/Pictures/NESGameCovers/C/Caveman%20Games.jpg

HemiEd
05-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I don't live in Colorado, but I am a Native. Lots of family still out there. This was my favorite place to go when we were campers.

http://www.recreation.gov/co/Chambers_Lake/Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?agency=NRRS&parkId=29

We quit going once they paved the parking lot and it became too civilized. You can hike up the RaWah (sp) wilderness trail as well, up to the "high lakes." They are well above the tree line and only thaw a couple weeks a year.

Oh, and if you google Chambers lake, you will find all kinds of cabin rentals around the area.

HemiEd
05-10-2007, 04:52 PM
The high lakes, is an experience you will never forget if you hike up there.
I am not sure this is the right link, but they had several lakes and one of them is called "hang lake." The others were "Twin Lakes' I believe.

http://www.fourteenernet.com/summer/fishing/lake.htm

Back in the 20's through the 50s, my Grandpa would bury his camping stuff, and dig it up the following season. That is how few people made it up there. He would haul a lot of cut throat trout out of there on horseback.

Easy 6
05-10-2007, 04:56 PM
The Royal Gorge area is beautiful & has plenty of campgrounds & activities nearby.