PDA

View Full Version : Winning 10Mil bid for "Dukes of Hazzard" car a hoax!

Deberg_1990
05-10-2007, 04:28 PM
I wonder why Schneider chose to auction it off on Ebay??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070510/ap_en_tv/dukes_of_hazzard_car

SAN FRANCISCO - A nearly $10 million eBay bid for a car made famous by "The Dukes of Hazzard" seems to have vanished faster than the Duke boys escaping from the sheriff.

The General Lee's owner actor John Schneider, who played the blond heartthrob Bo Duke in the 1980s television series is upset that the $9,900,500 winning bid appears to be a hoax. The bid set an eBay record last week.

Schneider plans to list his 1969 Dodge Charger with a bricks-and-mortar auction firm that strictly screens buyers, and may file a lawsuit against the bidder, said Allen Stockman, who runs the star's Agoura Hills estate and has sold scripts, memorabilia and other items on eBay for three years.

"If this guy was just doing it as a prank or to ruin someone else's chances, he deserves to be hit in the pocketbook," said Stockman, who gave the winning bidder a negative rating in eBay's feedback forum.

Schneider, 47, was at a promotion in Las Vegas and could not be reached for comment.

The winning bidder identified on his eBay home page as William Fisher, or "fishbashr1" did not return e-mails and did not answer the phone listed for his house in Laguna Hills.

Schneider's plight is the most recent fraudulent bidding episode at eBay.

In December, a Montreal man listed a 40-year-old acetate of "The Velvet Underground & Nico" by Andy Warhol. Bidding began at 99 cents, but after 10 days, 253 bids and numerous articles about the item in the media, the winning bid was $155,401. Within hours, the bid was determined to be a hoax and the item was relisted.

In March, bids on a gas grill said to be owned by Red Sox slugger Manny Ramirez reached $99,999,999, the highest bid the Web site was technically capable of listing. EBay pulled the listing after the company couldn't verify the grill was owned by Ramirez.

EBay spokeswoman Catherine England said the company doesn't keep track of how many winning bidders renege.

"There are all sorts of reasons a transaction may fall through, and we have a claims process for both buyer and seller," England said.

When bidding escalated on the General Lee, a customer service agent called Stockman and recommended that he only accept pre-qualified bidders who could prove that they had secured financing. But Stockman said he didn't have the time for credit or background checks.

88TG88
05-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Looks like that guys gettin some neg rep.

stlchiefs
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
He was an idiot for thinking it was serious. His goal was $3-4 million at a max and he thought it was legit when someone bid $10 million on Ebay nonetheless?

I'll bet it was Bwana's friend Steve.

Brock
05-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I'd give him twelve hundred bucks for it.

Deberg_1990
05-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Seriously, who the hell would want to pay close to 1 mil for a gas grill owned by Man Ram??

KcMizzou
05-10-2007, 04:47 PM
shocking

DaFace
05-10-2007, 04:52 PM
If I were putting something like this, I'd require bidders to pre-qualify somehow. Seems like every time there's an auction like this that gets a lot of media attention, the price goes through the roof by bogus bidders.

Simplex3
05-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Seriously, who the hell would want to pay close to 1 mil for a gas grill owned by Man Ram??
That would be $100M.

el borracho
05-10-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm surprised he would sell the car. I thought I had heard or read somewhere that he actually raced it.

Bwana
05-10-2007, 05:16 PM
He was an idiot for thinking it was serious. His goal was $3-4 million at a max and he thought it was legit when someone bid $10 million on Ebay nonetheless?

I'll bet it was Bwana's friend Steve.

Oh NO! Steve would no doubt have to juice to back the bid. :holdman:

Bwana
05-10-2007, 05:22 PM
BTW: Here's a link to the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-Charger-R-T-The-General-Lee-by-Bo-Duke-himself-John-Schneider_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6199QQihZ015QQitemZ250108256198QQrdZ1

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-10-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm surprised he would sell the car. I thought I had heard or read somewhere that he actually raced it.
He's probably hard up for cash. Has he even worked since DoH was cancelled? Oh, and don't forget he also took a year off from the show, I'll bet Uncle Jesse ended up making more than him.

Frazod
05-10-2007, 07:09 PM
The funny thing is that there's no one true "General Lee." Dozens of them were used during the course of that stupid show and most were trashed (remember how the front end would buckle every time the car landed after a jump?). There are a handful of surviving "actual" General Lees - one of them is up at an auto museum in Volo, Illinois.

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
The funny thing is that there's no one true "General Lee." Dozens of them were used during the course of that stupid show and most were trashed (remember how the front end would buckle every time the car landed after a jump?). There are a handful of surviving "actual" General Lees - one of them is up at an auto museum in Volo, Illinois.
Yeah, I liked how you'd see that front end buckle, and in the next scene it was perfect, even washed, waxed and detailed. I read somewhere that they were having trouble finding real '69s to wreck, so they had to start modifying 1968 Chargers for the show. Another tidbit I read is the reason they wrecked Daisy's Road Runner and put her in that Jeep was so they could show her legs more. Can't say that I disagreed with that decision. :drool: