PDA

View Full Version : News Bannister Mall closing for Good at end of may

Al Bundy
05-10-2007, 11:04 PM
I searched but found no thread.
Bannister Mall closing (http://www.kctv5.com/Global/story.asp?S=6410816)

05-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Jeez, I thought that dump was closed already. That place was hoppin back in the 80's.

Demonpenz
05-10-2007, 11:13 PM
where am I going to shoplift now?

Smed1065
05-10-2007, 11:20 PM
That place opened right before I left KC.

KCBOSS1
05-10-2007, 11:21 PM
We used to travel to KC when I was a kid every year to see the Royals. I used to go to the Blue Ridge and Bannister malls. I couldn't believe it when I went back to that area a few years ago. But then again, I also can't believe the 80's are now 20 years ago.

Deberg_1990
05-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Jeez, I thought that dump was closed already. That place was hoppin back in the 80's.

Yea, its pretty sad what it became. It was the place to be in the 80's...

I spent countless number of hours there as a teen.

Saw many a movie at Bannister Mall theaters and Bannister Square accross the street..

RIP....

Valiant
05-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Shit I think all the malls have their destruction set except for oak park mall..

Antioch, slated to be destroyed
Metro, slated to be destroyed
Blue ridge, destroyed
Bannister, slated to be destroyed
Indian something, slated to be destroyed

The ones I know about at least...

05-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Shit I think all the malls have their destruction set except for oak park mall..

Blue ridge, destroyed

Malls as a whole are really losing their popularity. RENT is way too high from what I hear too.

stlchiefs
05-10-2007, 11:29 PM
That would be a good location for a stadium as far as highway access. The mall isn't worth a damn.

05-10-2007, 11:31 PM
That would be a good location for a stadium as far as highway access. The mall isn't worth a damn.
Man, don't bring up the stadium issue.

Deberg_1990
05-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Malls as a whole are really losing their popularity. RENT is way too high from what I hear too.

The trend accross the country is to move away from enclosed malls.

Most of the new stuff being built are the open air malls.

Apparantly the enlosed malls breed teen hangouts and crime. Basically what happened with Bannister Mall...

Al Bundy
05-10-2007, 11:33 PM
The neighborhood has unfortunately deteriorated around the mall and outlying area. While the city of Kansas City is spending all of its resources to revitalize downtown it seems to have just completely forgotten South KC 87th-95th Raytown Road to basically Lydia.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Metro North is next.

KcMizzou
05-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Metro North is next.Yeah, been dead for years.

That's the mall I always went to as a kid.

BigMeatballDave
05-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Jeez, I thought that dump was closed already. That place was hoppin back in the 80's.Hell yeah. Fun factory was the shit!

BigMeatballDave
05-11-2007, 12:10 AM
I bought my 1st Nikes there in 1983.

luv
05-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Hell yeah. Fun factory was the shit!
Fun Factory. Did that place make those t-shirts that you decorate, and then they spin them?

05-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Bought my first pair of Seringetti sunglasses there in 87. Damn things lasted me 12 years.

BigMeatballDave
05-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Fun Factory. Did that place make those t-shirts that you decorate, and then they spin them?I don't remember, but I know what you are talking about. It was an arcade. They had skeeball, too. Jesus, did I blow some cash in that place...

Marlboro_Chief
05-11-2007, 01:31 AM

I ****ed your sister in the handicap stall in one of the department store restrooms.

Mojo Rising
05-11-2007, 01:35 AM

Apparantly the enlosed malls breed teen hangouts and crime. Basically what happened with Bannister Mall...

That's what I have heard as well. So, basically, these punk ass kids have made all of us self respecting adults walk from store to store in the heat and cold...I wish I had a cane to wave.

In extreme climate areas there will have to be a backlash where the shopping center might actually hire security instead punish the customers.

In July when it is 100+ or Jan - 10 who wants to park 100 yards away from one store then run back to your car to go to the next?

The Mall used to be a place to escape the weather. If parents and security guards hook up this problem will be licked so we can all go back to the mall...and the food court where everyone in the family can get a meal from a different country.

POND_OF_RED
05-11-2007, 01:43 AM

I can see that. I went to the mall the other day for a little bit and felt like I was interrupting some middle school field trip or something...then I just remembered that parents these days are lazy and the mall is a ****ing daycare to most people...

ChiefFan31
05-11-2007, 01:47 AM
Bannister closing. There is a shocker.

Clark Griswold "Roll em Up kids"

Valiant
05-11-2007, 02:22 AM

Its just a cycle fad, open air malls were popular before... Antioch was a open air mall before they enclosed it from what I am told... I am sure in 20 years people are going to get tired of the trend of outdoor malls and want to go back to climate controlled indoor ones...

Valiant
05-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Metro North is next.

Already been planing its destruction.. They are suppose to turn it in to Zona Rosa type shopping district.. The plans are to add condo's, a theatre in the park in there also...

I think there are around 20+ stores left in there besides the anchor stores...

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-11-2007, 02:47 AM
Already been planing its destruction.. They are suppose to turn it in to Zona Rosa type shopping district.. The plans are to add condo's, a theatre in the park in there also...

I think there are around 20+ stores left in there besides the anchor stores...

Seems like an odd choice given the proximity of ZR, which is about 7 minutes down Barry/152.

From Jan-Aug of '05 I lived in The Ethans with my sig-other. MN was but a long par 5 away, and I still almost never went there. I really liked living in that part of the Northland, though.

ILChief
05-11-2007, 05:16 AM

Blue ridge, destroyed

Independence Center still seems pretty nice.

Al Bundy
05-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Independence Center still seems pretty nice.

It will soon be in Bannister Malls condition, given the element that is starting to be out that way.

BigRedChief
05-11-2007, 07:38 AM
The neighborhood has unfortunately deteriorated around the mall and outlying area. While the city of Kansas City is spending all of its resources to revitalize downtown it seems to have just completely forgotten South KC 87th-95th Raytown Road to basically Lydia.They had a chance to get the Bass Pro Shop in the middle of the mall. Bass Pro had all the designs in place. Turn the mall and surrounding area into a nature santuary but they wanted tax increment financing. The city of KC said sorry but we can't afford it. We need the revenue from the project to pay for other stuff in KC. So what happens? Bass Pro goes out to Independence and spends millions. Was anyone really surprised?

hawkchief
05-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Metcalf South is going to be either razed and re-developed, or retrofitted into condos, offices and retail. That place has been on life-support for 25 years, and is located in the heart of Johnson County.

Micjones
05-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Fun Factory was definitely the shit...

The whole concept of malls is all but obsolete.
Benjamin Plaza has very little shopping to sustain any kind of business let alone a mall. Best Buy is gone. Circuit City is gone. Just For Feet is gone. Walmart is gone. It's insane.

Someone will buy that property up with a couple singles and turn it into something profitable in time though.

jiveturkey
05-11-2007, 07:43 AM
I'm more pissed about the KC area possibly chasing Legoland away. That park would be a cash tree for the area.

Bearcat2005
05-11-2007, 07:47 AM
I grew up in that neighborhood from 87-03 and saw it change so much, it is now such a shithole.

Al Bundy
05-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Metcalf South is going to be either razed and re-developed, or retrofitted into condos, offices and retail. That place has been on life-support for 25 years, and is located in the heart of Johnson County.
Metcalf South is weird... it's like it has been frozen in time with all of the signs of previous stores still there. It looks like it could just reopen in a weeks notice.

BigRedChief
05-11-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm more pissed about the KC area possibly chasing Legoland away. That park would be a cash tree for the area.
Legoland is going to Lee's Summit

Al Bundy
05-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Fun Factory was definitely the shit...

The whole concept of malls is all but obsolete.
Benjamin Plaza has very little shopping to sustain any kind of business let alone a mall. Best Buy is gone. Circuit City is gone. Just For Feet is gone. Walmart is gone. It's insane.

Someone will buy that property up with a couple singles and turn it into something profitable in time though.
There is alot of money to be made over there once the city starts to drive the criminals further south and further east.

BigRedChief
05-11-2007, 07:54 AM
I grew up in that neighborhood from 87-03 and saw it change so much, it is now such a shithole.
I lived in the area from 1991 - 2001. Used to be a cool neighboorhood. Buit it was getting trashy near the end.

jiveturkey
05-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Legoland is going to Lee's SummitWhich is in the KC area.

And the latest news sounds like it's not going to Lee's Summit and that they're not coming to the Midwest at all now. Apparently the State pulled funding and the city of Lee's Summit isn't fully behind the idea anyway.

http://www.lsjournal.com/articles/2007/05/09/news/02lego.txt

BigRedChief
05-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Which is in the KC area.

And the latest news sounds like it's not going to Lee's Summit and that they're not coming to the Midwest at all now. Apparently the State pulled funding and the city of Lee's Summit isn't fully behind the idea anyway.

http://www.lsjournal.com/articles/2007/05/09/news/02lego.txt
LS is a small town full of small minded people that don't like change. The new comers like myself and others think they need some frigging retail revenue to take some of the tax burden off us.

jiveturkey
05-11-2007, 08:12 AM
It's too bad that Legoland can't go to the Banister Mall site.

Micjones
05-11-2007, 08:18 AM
There is alot of money to be made over there once the city starts to drive the criminals further south and further east.

Criminals ay?
Priceless...

gblowfish
05-11-2007, 08:24 AM
I drive past the Bannister Mall every day going back and forth to work.

It's been useless as a real mall for several years. Nothing but flea market stuff in ther the past couple years.

BM died for a couple reasons. It started going down hill when people were getting mugged and carjacked in the parking lot. When that happened, people from Grandview and Raytown and from across the state line in JoCo stopped going because of safety concerns.

Then Lee's Summit built a mall on Chipman Road, and JoCo has plenty of shopping south of I-435. That whole area just withered away. Not only the mall, but all the other stuff that was built around the outskirts of the mall too. Now it's a ghost town.

Shame, because all that land used to be part of Benjamin Ranch, where you could go horseback riding and the trails were plentiful and stretched a long way. That land is part of the original Santa Fe Trail, so back when it was a horseback riding ranch, it was cool, because you could ride on the original Santa Fe Trail. Now its all just asphalt and empty strip mall buildings. Even Wal-Mart bailed out, because they flattened the Blue Ridge Mall and built a Wally World on the property. Now all the slime from South KC goes to the Blue Ridge Mall for Beef Jerkey, Doritos, Smirnoff Ice and diapers.

I've heard rumors that the city would like to take over that land, flatten the mall, and build the Wizards a soccer stadium, but nothing concrete has come around on that yet.

Deberg_1990
05-11-2007, 08:27 AM
In extreme climate areas there will have to be a backlash where the shopping center might actually hire security instead punish the customers.

In July when it is 100+ or Jan - 10 who wants to park 100 yards away from one store then run back to your car to go to the next?

The Mall used to be a place to escape the weather. If parents and security guards hook up this problem will be licked so we can all go back to the mall...and the food court where everyone in the family can get a meal from a different country.

Yes it does kind of suck to have to walk or drive from store to store when its hot outside. I live in San Antonio, so i know all about heat. But these open air malls are the hot thing right now. They have built two or three in this area in the past 4 or 5 years and they are huge.

I guess most the kids these days congregate at the 30 Theater multiplex's.

Baby Lee
05-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Bought my first pair of Seringetti sunglasses there in 87. Damn things lasted me 12 years.
Dayum, you'll find anything here. A Serengetti fan.
I've worn their H2Optix for 8 years, a couple years ago, my mom sat on them in the car and broke them. Found out, they've been bought by Bolle, who actually centered in Lenexa, dropped over there and they gave me a brand new replacement pair.
Great customer service.

cardken
05-11-2007, 08:33 AM
It was the place back then, One of my first jobs were at the Bannister. Worked a couple of years selling Electronics at Sears, and was an Ast Mgr at Tape World, f#@king funny cassette tapes were the format of choice back then. Also remember was the first place a saw replica jerseys and hats at Mearle Haron's Fan Fare, dropped lots of cash there over those years.

Al Bundy
05-11-2007, 08:52 AM
It was the place back then, One of my first jobs were at the Bannister. Worked a couple of years selling Electronics at Sears, and was an Ast Mgr at Tape World, f#@king funny cassette tapes were the format of choice back then. Also remember was the first place a saw replica jerseys and hats at Mearle Haron's Fan Fare, dropped lots of cash there over those years.
I dated a girl in high school that worked at that Fan Fare.

Dave Lane
05-11-2007, 08:57 AM
where am I going to shoplift now?

Great now they'll be coming to WardParkway...

Red Dawg
05-11-2007, 09:02 AM
THEY SHOULD PUT A FOOTBALL FIELD THERE AND HOLD TRAING CAMP THERE!

Deberg_1990
05-11-2007, 09:18 AM
I drive past the Bannister Mall every day going back and forth to work.

It's been useless as a real mall for several years. Nothing but flea market stuff in ther the past couple years.

BM died for a couple reasons. It started going down hill when people were getting mugged and carjacked in the parking lot. When that happened, people from Grandview and Raytown and from across the state line in JoCo stopped going because of safety concerns.

Then Lee's Summit built a mall on Chipman Road, and JoCo has plenty of shopping south of I-435. That whole area just withered away. Not only the mall, but all the other stuff that was built around the outskirts of the mall too. Now it's a ghost town.

Shame, because all that land used to be part of Benjamin Ranch, where you could go horseback riding and the trails were plentiful and stretched a long way. That land is part of the original Santa Fe Trail, so back when it was a horseback riding ranch, it was cool, because you could ride on the original Santa Fe Trail. Now its all just asphalt and empty strip mall buildings. Even Wal-Mart bailed out, because they flattened the Blue Ridge Mall and built a Wally World on the property. Now all the slime from South KC goes to the Blue Ridge Mall for Beef Jerkey, Doritos, Smirnoff Ice and diapers.

I've heard rumors that the city would like to take over that land, flatten the mall, and build the Wizards a soccer stadium, but nothing concrete has come around on that yet.

Yea, its too bad the Bass/Pro deal fell through there. It would have been a nice revitalization for that area.

Dartgod
05-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Criminals ay?
Priceless...
Why is that?

Demonpenz
05-11-2007, 09:20 AM
i am wondering what the deal is with 87th street. on mapquest it is supposed to go through to 71. It has been under construction for like 2 years. I guess they are like "you keep carjacking people so piss on you"

Iowanian
05-11-2007, 10:17 AM
I remember when it opened.

Its too bad the thugs and shitbags ruined that place for everyone else.

Deberg_1990
05-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Its too bad the thugs and shitbags ruined that place for everyone else.

I hope that doesnt happen with Independence Center as well..i havent been there in several years since i dont live in KC, but last time i was there i remember seeing quite a few of the "thuggish elements" there.

jynni
05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I hope that doesnt happen with Independence Center as well..i havent been there in several years since i dont live in KC, but last time i was there i remember seeing quite a few of the "thuggish elements" there.
I was there at Christmas time and it was quite nice. It's basically Oak Park Mall East.

Frazod
05-11-2007, 10:54 AM
I went there the day I first came home on leave from the Navy after completing A school back in '84. I remember walking around in uniform, hand-in-hand with my girlfriend (the one I really liked, not the one I ended up marrying). That was one of the happiest days of my life. Of course, that was a long time ago, and I don't think I've been back since. Too bad the place went to hell.

Iowanian
05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Given the amount of criminals that visit the area....maybe the empty building should be turned into a prison.

I had a cousin robbed at gunpoint there by 3 "youths".....got him for a whopping $2 and change....yes...and took the change.

DMAC
05-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Was this the mall that had that huge arcade downstairs?

Jordan
05-11-2007, 11:42 AM
NO!!! They shut down Cleopatras Jew-ry (for those of us that watch local KC commercials)...........best commercial rap video EVER!!! Even better than Used Tire City!!!

Disclaimer: Sarcasm at its finest.

Micjones
05-11-2007, 11:57 AM
I worked at United Artists for a while.

I remember Tape World was just across the way on the top floor.

Deberg_1990
05-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I worked at United Artists for a while.

That theater in there used to be really nice back in the 80's. I remember seeing "Return of the Jedi" there on opening night.

Valiant
05-11-2007, 12:24 PM
LS is a small town full of small minded people that don't like change. The new comers like myself and others think they need some frigging retail revenue to take some of the tax burden off us.

I don't know about that from the way I have read the articles in the paper... Legoland would make a killing, the new business created around it would make money, but the money that Lee Summit would have to fork over each year in free tax and subsidies would kill them... Basically Legoland still would not be taking the tax burden off of the people...

Inspector
05-11-2007, 12:46 PM

I grew up in the area in the 50's and 60's. We had 60 acres on 87th west of where they built I-435. At one time all of the area was pretty nice. My best freind's folks owned the land where they built Bannister Mall and we used to ride horses and goof around in an old barn that sat about smack dab in the middle of the mall.

Yep, it's really gone down the crapper. Too bad.

Calcountry
05-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Metcalf South is weird... it's like it has been frozen in time with all of the signs of previous stores still there. It looks like it could just reopen in a weeks notice.This is what happens when landlords get greedy, and there isn't an endless influx of new yuppies to an area. Once it matures, the growth fades or goes in decline, which is followed by death.

Wal mart just had the worst month for same store sales in their History. Could it be that we have seen the end of their ever increasing footprint in the retailing business space?

Calcountry
05-11-2007, 01:51 PM
That theater in there used to be really nice back in the 80's. I remember seeing "Return of the Jedi" there on opening night.I think I seen Octopussy there when I was visiting the area one summer.

Adept Havelock
05-11-2007, 02:58 PM
They had a chance to get the Bass Pro Shop in the middle of the mall. Bass Pro had all the designs in place. Turn the mall and surrounding area into a nature santuary but they wanted tax increment financing. The city of KC said sorry but we can't afford it. We need the revenue from the project to pay for other stuff in KC. So what happens? Bass Pro goes out to Independence and spends millions. Was anyone really surprised?

I heard the deal breaker was the Jones Store Co. Everything was in place, and Jones was going to move to the old Dillards space allowing for demo of their old store, and building the Bass Pro.

Then Jones decided they didn't want to move, and the deal went away.

At least that's what I heard from a friend who managed there for a while.

I miss the Oriental Gift Shop they used to have. A lot of crap, but some interesting stuff as well.

Chief Faithful
05-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I heard the deal breaker was the Jones Store Co. Everything was in place, and Jones was going to move to the old Dillards space allowing for demo of their old store, and building the Bass Pro.

Then Jones decided they didn't want to move, and the deal went away.

At least that's what I heard from a friend who managed there for a while.

I miss the Oriental Gift Shop they used to have. A lot of crap, but some interesting stuff as well.

What is your friends story as to why the place when to hell the way it did?

Baby Lee
05-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Cross thread reference, just remembered how much I used to love eating at Big Al's in the food court.

Pitt Gorilla
05-11-2007, 04:06 PM
We used to go to Metcalf South for our shopping (we lived about 2 hours away). We also visited Oak Park, which only had a few stores at the time. Of course, around here, the malls are doing pretty well. The mall in Columbia was thriving as well.

keg in kc
05-11-2007, 04:20 PM
I lived about a mile from there from, ah, 2000 to 2003.

It was amazing how much (in some ways) my life changed when I moved to Overland Park. I regularly walk at 10 or 11 at night here, and I don't think anything about going to Super Wal-Mart at 2 am.

2 things I would have never done on Bannister road.

Adept Havelock
05-11-2007, 04:28 PM
What is your friends story as to why the place when to hell the way it did?

Same as everyone else's I suppose. Never asked.

Kids, lack of security, and the neighborhood around it deteriorating would be my guess.

Baby Lee
05-11-2007, 04:56 PM
I don't think that rent was an issue, because the Mall itself started downhill when the staple [national, solid] stores were replaced with Mom/Pop stores selling Velvet paintings and Trinkets. Surely those stores weren't MORE able to meet the rent than a Sam Goody or Waldenbooks.
Wards was a big loss, that closed store was a huge sore thumb indicator of decline.
The fire at Best Buy, leading to Circuit City leaving when it didn't have it's symbiotic partner across the way.
Then the restaurants ceased to be a draw.
By that time, between Metcalf developments to the west, Martin City springing to life to the south, and the Lee's Summit development where 470 meets 50, meant that people in many directions got one-shopping a short distance away instead of piecemeal shopping at BM.

keg in kc
05-11-2007, 04:58 PM
By that time, between Metcalf developments to the west, Martin City springing to life to the south, and the Lee's Summit development where 470 meets 50, meant that people in many directions got one-shopping a short distance away instead of piecemeal shopping at BM.I'd call that a valid point. When we lived there, while we were a mile from BM, we did all our shopping 10 or 15 minutes away (IIRC) in Lee's Summit.

Baby Lee
05-11-2007, 05:00 PM
I'd call that a valid point. When we lived there, while we were a mile from BM, we did all our shopping 10 or 15 minutes away (IIRC) in Lee's Summit.
I'm optimistic that that entire corridor [from BM to Truman Corners] will rebound by about 5 years after the 71 triangle is completed.

Al Bundy
05-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm optimistic that that entire corridor [from BM to Truman Corners] will rebound by about 5 years after the 71 triangle is completed.
I hope you're right, that area was a spot that I spent alot of the 80's.

DT4everaChief
05-12-2007, 12:39 AM
I searched but found no thread.
Bannister Mall closing (http://www.kctv5.com/Global/story.asp?S=6410816)

In the 80's that was the place to go with the family and shop. Now it's the place for all the thugs to hang out at since idian springs is closed.

Dunit35
05-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Since everyone is (was) talking about Bannister Mall, when did the Blue Ridge Mall close down. My dad was sad to see that being torn down when we went there last May because he spent so much time in there as a kid.

Last time we were there, there was a Movie theater place, my dad said it had many theaters in it. From the outside the windows are pure black looking, it's in that area. Anyone know of the place I am talking about? Everytime we go there and see the outside of that place I am amazed by it. For some reason it looks so cool to me.

Dunit35
05-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Anybody know the name of this place? If I remember right it's next to the Arrowhead.

Deberg_1990
05-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Since everyone is (was) talking about Bannister Mall, when did the Blue Ridge Mall close down. My dad was sad to see that being torn down when we went there last May because he spent so much time in there as a kid.

Last time we were there, there was a Movie theater place, my dad said it had many theaters in it. From the outside the windows are pure black looking, it's in that area. Anyone know of the place I am talking about? Everytime we go there and see the outside of that place I am amazed by it. For some reason it looks so cool to me.

Are you talking about the old Blue Ridge East movie theater?? I believe the building is still there? Its right accross 40 highway from the Old Blue Ridge mall. It was still there the last time i was up in KC about a year ago...

Dunit35
05-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Are you talking about the old Blue Ridge East movie theater?? I believe the building is still there? Its right accross 40 highway from the Old Blue Ridge mall. It was still there the last time i was up in KC about a year ago...

I have no idea what the name of it is. I just know that it is the coolest movie theater I've ever seen. But that location you gave me does sound right though.

Deberg_1990
05-12-2007, 11:52 PM
I have no idea what the name of it is. I just know that it is the coolest movie theater I've ever seen. But that location you gave me does sound right though.

In its day, that was a nice Theater. I saw many, many movies there growing up in the 80's...

Dunit35
05-13-2007, 12:00 AM
In its day, that was a nice Theater. I saw many, many movies there growing up in the 80's...

I'd definately love to have some pictures of that place. We tried to get some a couple years ago, but the memory card in the camera screwed up and we lost them.

ChiefJustice
05-13-2007, 12:28 AM

Yeah,it is was the Blue Ridge East theatre that he is thinking of.
I remember going there and seeing a special midnight preview
of the first Batman movie(the Tim Burton one).

Adept Havelock
05-13-2007, 09:34 AM
That theatre and the old one at Truman Corners had the same style. Interesting buildings, and a decent place to catch a flick.

Dunit35
05-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Here it is. So cool.

http://64.4.34.250/cgi-bin/getmsg/theatherkc.jpg?&msg=MSG1179074481.4&start=873829&len=117248&mimepart=5&curmbox=F000000001&b=f10696bd9afb08eac47697a458690079&disk=64.4.34.71_d1471&login=dyer_sean69&domain=hotmail%2ecom&hm___sig=7ace4a3e01c796b03aeaa7d5f9a2ff4d8e48c3d4ed6a7f8e

Dunit35
05-14-2007, 11:16 PM
The more I look at this place, the more I want to go in there. I love going into places that have been closed down for years.

KCBOSS1
05-15-2007, 12:00 AM
A few years ago, I helped do an appraisal on an old, abandoned Veterans Hospital. There was no power and there had been homeless people hiding out there. It was weird. We actually inspected the morgue with caving helmets. It was pretty cool. I was so fascinated with the stuff still left that I had a hard time concentrating on what I was actually there for. But I have to admit, it was pretty creepy and we had no idea what or who we might find.

psychadelicdream
05-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Yea, its too bad the Bass/Pro deal fell through there. It would have been a nice revitalization for that area.

UHMmmmm the deal may have fallen though at the center but its still in independence they bought a ton of land basically across the street from the independence center and have been working on it for over a year i think..

htismaqe
05-17-2007, 06:06 PM
So what happened to the area around there (87th and 435)?

I drove through there today and it wasn't just the Mall, all of the stuff north of it was deserted too, including the giant Wal-Mart...

Dartgod
05-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Too much crime and too little security.

htismaqe
05-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Too much crime and too little security.

Wow.

It was so weird to see a whole area literally abandoned like that.

Archie F. Swin
05-17-2007, 06:52 PM
What's next, Seville Square?

Pierce
05-17-2007, 07:15 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9R90uLKeeVI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9R90uLKeeVI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Fairplay
05-17-2007, 07:45 PM
I knew when they had to place several booths to monitor the outside parking lot, it was going downhill. This news does not surprise me at all.

RIP :reaper:

phisherman
05-17-2007, 09:02 PM
The more I look at this place, the more I want to go in there. I love going into places that have been closed down for years.

got a little treat for you,

in all it's current glory, blue ridge east theater:

http://www.undergroundozarks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=941

enjoy!

phisherman
05-17-2007, 09:04 PM
also, it's gotten worse since those pics were taken, i was in there a few months ago...like it says in that thread, copper thieves have torn it up pretty bad

Pitt Gorilla
05-17-2007, 09:05 PM

enjoy!I love that site.

KcMizzou
05-17-2007, 09:07 PM

enjoy!
Wow... that's crazy.

Al Bundy
05-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Nice toilets....

Dunit35
05-17-2007, 10:14 PM

enjoy!

Awesome man, thanks.

I want to go in there even more now.

Deberg_1990
05-17-2007, 11:25 PM

enjoy!

Wow! Thats awesume.

macdawg
05-18-2007, 12:55 AM
bannister mall has been a joke for a long time from people getting mugged in the parking lots, indian springs mall in kck is dead now too, probably for the same reason.

metro north is dead cuz zona rosa plus a lot of northlanders will drive to Oak Park or Independence center to shop even though its a 25 minute drive....

antioch mall has been pathetic for....well forever, they really need to shut that down & metro and do something with the space.

Dunit35
05-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Anybody know anything about this Empire Theater? Seems pretty cool...here it a bunch of photos of it.

http://kcurbex.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9&page=1

Deberg_1990
05-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Anybody know anything about this Empire Theater? Seems pretty cool...here it a bunch of photos of it.

http://kcurbex.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9&page=1

Is that the one downtown??? I remember seeing a few movies there with my mom in the late 1970's....

There was another one downtown in that era too called the Midland I think??

I remember standing in line there in 1980 waiting to see "The Empire Strikes Back"

Al Bundy
05-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Well I went to Bannister Mall today and took some pics. I was "yelled at" by some middle eastern guy, asking me "What are you doing?". My reply "I'm taking pictures". By this time he was getting pissed off and asked me why. My simple replay was "Because I can". To say that I didn't feel very welcome was an understatement.

ChiefsCountry
05-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Are they actually going to put the Wizards stadium there?

Al Bundy
05-30-2007, 08:22 PM
I have no idea. After that last encounter I am glad they are tearing it down. If only they would blow it up with him inside it.

Frazod
05-30-2007, 08:24 PM

That would be nice. Get those soccer idiots the hell out of Arrowhead.

Deberg_1990
01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
So long Bannister Mall.......

Lots of memories there....

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/884

The redevelopment of Bannister Mall got off the drawing board and into the demolition stage Wednesday.

Excavators started taking down the former Jones Store and will begin moving south over the next year, tearing down the mall to make way for a $949 million mixed-used center called The Trails.

The 467-acre development would be anchored by an 18,500 seat professional soccer stadium that would house The Wizards, Kansas City’s major league soccer team.

Eventually it would add a 12-field tournament soccer complex for local, regional and national tournaments, a 250-room hotel, up to 1.1 million square feet of retail and up to 1.7 million square feet of office space.

Area residents who showed up at the Bannister Mall site Wednesday were thrilled.

Standing in the parking lot with the demolition crew, well, I had a flashback to 1980.

I was with the electrical crew then. I had just moved to the city to attend UMKC and my big brother knew a worker who gave us a sneak peak of the spanking new center at Interstate 435 and Bannister Road.

Its sheer size - more than double, maybe triple my hometown mall - the skylights, the sculptures, the landscaping, the big name stores set to open - this was going to be life in the big city.

And when it opened in August of that year it was the place to be for many in the city.

Area high school students considered it 'their' mall and many still do. As young parents they shopped there as families.

After I became retail reporter for the Star most of my excursions there were to cover openings, and then more and more often closings.

The big names left, then the small locally owned stores.

Guard towers were constructed to make people feel safer. It didn't work.

But the only time I was actually worried was when I realized I was in a whole wing of the mall that was empty of people and stores.

Since Bannister Mall closed in late May 2007 vandals had moved in to 'help' with the demolition by breaking out all the windows and taking everything not nailed down - and then some.

So it was sort of bittersweet to see that once beautiful mall become rubbish (rubbish that will be recycled).

But here's hoping the developers can pull this project off and give south Kansas City residents another awe inspiring gathering place they can be proud of and call their own.

BigRedChief
01-22-2009, 12:07 PM
I lived near there for 9 years. It was cool in its day. Time stands still for no man some famous dude once said.

Otis99
01-22-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm still pissed off that Kevin Smith didn't get to film Mallrats there. It was his first choice, and the mall passed on it due to the "objectionable content". Would have been nice to see my old stomping grounds immortalized on film like that.

Micjones
01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
This story is so much more complicated than people are willing to admit.

It incorporates White flight (back to the urban core), falling property values, lost anchor stores that propped the mall up, the decline of a once bustling Benjamin Plaza, the decline in popularity of enclosed malls, middle class families moving East in to Lee's Summit/Independence/Blue Springs, shifts in disposable income with the occupying demographic, etc. etc.

That said, I had some wonderful memories at that mall.
I once worked there in the movie theater (United Artists).
I grew up in South Kansas City...It'll always have a special place in my heart.

We're on the verge of another failed Kansas City development sinkhole that'll quickly get stale and cost us millions upon millions of dollars.

*Yawn*

SAUTO
01-22-2009, 12:57 PM

It incorporates White flight (back to the urban core), falling property values, lost anchor stores that propped the mall up, the decline of a once bustling Benjamin Plaza, the decline in popularity of enclosed malls, middle class families moving East in to Lee's Summit/Independence/Blue Springs, shifts in disposable income with the occupying demographic, etc. etc.

We're on the verge of another failed Kansas City development sinkhole that'll quickly get stale and cost us millions upon millions of dollars.

*Yawn*
dont forget the crime quotient

Micjones
01-22-2009, 01:03 PM

I acknowledged that crime was a factor in saying that the story was much more complicated than that.

Dartgod
01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
I acknowledged that crime was a factor in saying that the story was much more complicated than that.
Crime was the major factor. People did not feel safe shopping there anymore.

The rest is just excuses.

morphius
01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
That would be nice. Get those soccer idiots the hell out of Arrowhead.
I don't think Clark is going anywhere.

Baby Lee
01-22-2009, 01:42 PM

*Yawn*
1. Benjamin trails was a ghost town for many of Bannister's thriving times, it is irrelevant.
2. A shit ton of more shopping options have opened for the southland since the time that that area was THE shopping destination for all south suburbs.
3. Wards was a big loss, then the deterioration of surrounding shops [how many hardware stores failed at the Home Quarters facility], Venture, BB and CC, then Hypermart all closing shop.

Brock
01-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Speaking for myself, I stopped going there when more than one person I know was a victim of violent crime there.

Micjones
01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Crime was the major factor. People did not feel safe shopping there anymore.

The rest is just excuses.

I lived in the South Kansas City for all but about 4.5 years of my life.
The perception of the occupying demographic (much darker than in years past) and crime in the area is quite a bit more significant than the actual increase in crime.

Oak Park Mall, according to statistics, has often reported a higher rate of crime than did Bannister Mall. (Not) Surprisingly the perception of that area is quite a bit different.

Micjones
01-22-2009, 02:08 PM
2. A shit ton of more shopping options have opened for the southland since the time that that area was THE shopping destination for all south suburbs.

Indeed.

Summit Woods, the resurgence of Ward Parkway, Town Center Plaza, Walmart on 135th & State Line, the Belton Walmart, etc.

Dartgod
01-22-2009, 02:10 PM
The perception of the occupying demographic (much darker than in years past) and crime in the area is quite a bit more significant than the actual increase in crime.

Oak Park Mall, according to statistics, has often reported a higher rate of crime than did Bannister Mall. (Not) Surprisingly the perception of that area is quite a bit different.
I'd be interested in seeing some reports. My perception of the problems at Bannister Mall is not from personal experience.

Micjones
01-22-2009, 02:12 PM
I'd be interested in seeing some reports. My perception of the problems at Bannister Mall is not from personal experience.

I think the prevailing perceptions of the area come from people who haven't had personal experiences there.

I lived and worked in the area for most of my life.

Demonpenz
01-22-2009, 02:17 PM
I lived in apartment complex down there for awhile I never had any real problems. Just alittle urban for me. I always had fun when the quick trip turned into a club after midnight :)

Dartgod
01-22-2009, 02:17 PM
I think the prevailing perceptions of the area come from people who haven't had personal experiences there.

I'm certain that the majority of people that shopped there didn't experience a mugging or other violent crime. That doesn't mean it wasn't a problem.

Can you point me to the report you referred to? (crime rates @ Bannister vs. Oak Park Malls)

dallaschiefsfan
01-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Good riddance. The mall was great when it opened. The neighborhood treated it like sh**. If you treat your house like shi**, it's gonna get torn down eventually. Hell...it wasn't like it was the blue ridge mall--which was super-old already.

Independence Center has stayed open, I see. I'm curious as to why it has stayed solvent?

Micjones
01-22-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm certain that the majority of people that shopped there didn't experience a mugging or other violent crime. That doesn't mean it wasn't a problem.

I never attempted to gloss over that fact.
My point was simply that the prevailing perceptions always come in stage left from people who haven't had real experiences there. And they tend to overstate the realities in those areas.

Can you point me to the report you referred to? (crime rates @ Bannister vs. Oak Park Malls)

I'll have to dig to find the official report.
It's been a while...

SAUTO
01-22-2009, 02:42 PM

WHERE? you went into detail on everything else but glossed over that fact

SAUTO
01-22-2009, 02:44 PM

what about the area directly leading to the malls? i would say that the area around bannister is MUCH worse than the area around oak park

wutamess
01-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Sounds good. :rolleyes:
But in reality when the bus lines let all the "hood" into Hypermart area the mall didn't have a chance.

Maybe the crime rates were more in OP but I'm willing to bet the violent crimes weren't higher.

So what Johnny ran out of OP Dillards with a jacket... It's not as bad as someone carjacked in the parking lot at Christmas time at Bannister.

I went to school right around the corner from there. And grew up most of my life there also.

SAUTO
01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
I never attempted to gloss over that fact.
My point was simply that the prevailing perceptions always come in stage left from people who haven't had real experiences there. And they tend to overstate the realities in those areas.

I'll have to dig to find the official report.
It's been a while...

not where my perception came from

SAUTO
01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
But in reality when the bus lines let all the "hood" into Hypermart area the mall didn't have a chance.

Maybe the crime rates were more in OP but I'm willing to bet the violent crimes weren't higher.

So what Johnny ran out of Dillards with a jacket... It's not as bad as someone carjacked in the parking lot at Christmas time at Bannister.
I went to school right around the corner from there.

QFT whole post actually

wutamess
01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
nm I'm dumb.

dallaschiefsfan
01-22-2009, 02:54 PM

Dad was a KC Police officer there for most of my life. He couldn't even be off-duty without seeing (and intervening in) some random crime being perpetrated in or near that mall. No doubt about it. This place was a hole. Period. That whole area needed a Giuliani-style crack down for years.

bobbymitch
01-22-2009, 03:05 PM
We lived in Raytown when they built the place. At the time it was great. Among the stores was one called the Village Set. They kept records of what the women bought and what sizes. So, us males could go in to do some Christmas or birthday shopping, they would pull up the card and guide us in color and size selection. What a fantastic operation.

What made us stop going there, were the groups of kids. They would wander about, being loud, and would walk down the corridors 5 and 6 side by side. They wouldn't move or let anyone get by them. It just got down right uncomfortable, so we went elsewhere.

The same goes for the HyperMart after awhile.

Deberg_1990
01-22-2009, 03:07 PM

*Yawn*

Well said.

Ill just prefer to remember that mall in its Glory days in the 1980's.

It definately was the place to be back then.

Micjones
01-22-2009, 03:10 PM
WHERE? you went into detail on everything else but glossed over that fact

Not like "much more" means "in addition to" or "and"...
I get it though. Playing dumb is the ChiefsPlanet way.

Deberg_1990
01-22-2009, 03:15 PM
What made us stop going there, were the groups of kids. They would wander about, being loud, and would walk down the corridors 5 and 6 side by side. They wouldn't move or let anyone get by them. It just got down right uncomfortable, so we went elsewhere.

Isnt that at any indoor mall in America?? This is partially why the trend is to move towards open air malls.

Deter the teen hangouts and crime.

bobbymitch
01-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Isnt that at any indoor mall in America?? This is partially why the trend is to move towards open air malls.

Deter the teen hangouts and crime.

Starting to be that way. However, some kids are more courtious than others. I noticed this when we did some quick shopping at the OP Mall this December.

When I was younger, we had places to hang out. Today's kids don't, so they take what they can get.

Bugeater
01-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Kinda interesting looking at this area on Google Streetview, and considering the only thing that looks like it's open is the fire station, it actually looks pretty nice. It's a shame they are tearing it all down. I was there a couple times in the early 90s and I don't recall having any issues there, although maybe that was before all the trouble started.

KC-TBB
01-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Its not just malls, the little a-holes try to walk into you even in the stand alone stores...I have just learned to hate people in general. I keep praying for some huge comet to come hurling through space towards us. SWEET RELIEF BAYBE!

Micjones
01-22-2009, 03:24 PM

Me thinks that's quite an oversimplification.
How long has the Troost line been serving that area?

I think the businesses that cited non-violent crimes (ie, shoplifting) as a significant part of why they left the area would disagree.

So what Johnny ran out of OP Dillards with a jacket... It's not as bad as someone carjacked in the parking lot at Christmas time at Bannister.

Because God knows that violent crimes don't occur in Overland Park at a mall, like say, Oak Park...
*Cough* Kelsey Smith *Cough*
:rolleyes:

Deberg_1990
01-22-2009, 03:25 PM
It's a shame they are tearing it all down. .

Yea, but they are building a soccer stadium there right?

That should help revitalize the area.

Micjones
01-22-2009, 03:26 PM

For a couple years before it's forgotten...

Bugeater
01-22-2009, 03:27 PM

Oh yeah, the tens of people that will attract should turn the area around in no time.

Were there ever any efforts to ramp up security?

Brock
01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
For a couple years before it's forgotten...

Forgotten? Soccer is mega huge these days.

Deberg_1990
01-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Oh yeah, the tens of people that will attract should turn the area around in no time.

If you build it, they will come.

People will always flock to the shiny and new.

Human Nature.

wutamess
01-22-2009, 03:31 PM

I think the businesses that cited non-violent crimes (ie, shoplifting) as a significant part of why they left the area would disagree.

Because God knows that violent crimes don't occur in Overland Park at a mall, like say, Oak Park...
*Cough* Kelsey Smith *Cough*
:rolleyes:

Are you really comparing OP's violent crime rate to that of Bannister Mall areas (Because of Kelsey's extreme case)?
It's common sense. Get off your excuse hording pedestal and call a spade a spade. Not saying violent crimes didn't/don't happen everywhere but it was more "expected" to happen in the BM area as opposed to other malls.

I don't know how long Troost has been servicing BM (don't care either). I DO know the Metro doesn't run to OP Mall. Coincidence that they're still thriving? Same for Independence Center.

You & I know that BM had gang troubles and you couldn't walk more than 2 people at the mall because of them. Other malls didn't have that issue. It all boils down to demographics... You're smart (you write so well). Figure it out.

Bugeater
01-22-2009, 03:32 PM
If you build it, they will come.

People will always flock to the shiny and new.

Human Nature.

Hmmm...I guess. Creighton University built a new soccer complex here a couple years ago, I've heard it's pretty cool but I hate soccer so I have no interest in going.

Micjones
01-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Forgotten? Soccer is mega huge these days.

Soccer's an afterthought in American sports culture.
Me thinks Germany is quite a bit different than Kansas City.

Brock
01-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Soccer's an afterthought in American sports culture.
Me thinks Germany is quite a bit different than Kansas City.

You haven't been paying attention to high school sports.

Micjones
01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Are you really comparing OP's violent crime rate to that of Bannister Mall areas (Because of Kelsey's extreme case)?

*Waving to the strawman*

I'd have to be a fool to draw a comparison between the violent crime rates in Kansas City (a town four times as populous) and Overland Park. Guess it's a good thing that I didn't do that. I merely corrected you on the disingenuous idea that violent crimes don't occur in Overland Park.

Don't know how long Troost has been servicing BM.

Then perhaps you should defer the discussion of how the busline might've contributed to crime in the area? Just a thought...

Other malls didn't have that issue. It all boils down to demographics... You're smart (you write so well). Figure it out.

It's because I'm smart that I realize that there's more in play.
You're oversimplifying because you don't truly understand the complexities of this discussion. It's easier to pander to the prevailing perceptions and fears of a small group of people than to try to understand all of the information available. I get that. Carry on...

Micjones
01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
You haven't been paying attention to high school sports.

Dude I get it. I really do...
Where does soccer register on the American scale of sports interest though? Fifth? Sixth maybe?

wutamess
01-22-2009, 04:03 PM
You're oversimplifying because you don't truly understand the complexities of this discussion. It's easier to pander to the prevailing perceptions and fears of a small group of people than to try to understand all of the information available. I get that. Carry on...

Yeah blame it on EVERYTHING ELSE but THE problem.
We've been down this road before. Once again, we'll agree to disagree.
FWIW: Despite how populous our city is compared to OP, I doubt BM area had THAT MUCH more shoppers than OP. Yet BM was the shitpile out of it all.

But violent crimes and the metro bringing the hood was only a small part of it. :rolleyes:

SAUTO
01-22-2009, 04:45 PM

WHATS this "more in play" you keep referring to? enlighten us

SAUTO
01-22-2009, 04:47 PM
hey there micjones 5 years ago would YOU have wanted to live within 1 mile of BM? how about 1 mile from pak park mall?

SAUTO
01-22-2009, 04:50 PM
i will throw another mall that ran into the same problem: indian springs and no i'm not blaming it on blacks(which im sure is coming) it doesnt matter whether black white brown red or green if people are scared to go the place isnt gonna last, might as well admit it and let it go

PunkinDrublic
01-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Overland Park sometimes will go a whole year without a single murder. Sorry mic but there's no comparison. Honestly, sometimes I wish Johnson County would gain a little bit of a rep as a haven for violence just so I could up my street cred from having grown up there.

Brock
01-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Where does soccer register on the American scale of sports interest though? Fifth? Sixth maybe?

As far as a spectator sport, sure. But I guarantee you those soccer fields will be full of people every Saturday, all day.

SAUTO
01-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Overland Park sometimes will go a whole year without a single murder. Sorry mic but there's no comparison. Honestly, sometimes I wish Johnson County would gain a little bit of a rep as a haven for violence just so I could up my street cred from having grown up there.

ROFL , i'm so glad im not from JC

Deberg_1990
01-22-2009, 05:00 PM
WHATS this "more in play" you keep referring to? enlighten us

Please read post #111

PunkinDrublic
01-22-2009, 05:04 PM
I can't believe metcalf south mall is still open. It used to have that awesome fountain in the center. Me and 3 other buddies used to shoplift from Clints comics all the time when we were 13.

Didn't seville square have an arcade in the basement?

SAUTO
01-22-2009, 05:07 PM

*Yawn*

i had read post 111, most of his points go directly to the crime in the area

Baby Lee
01-23-2009, 06:51 AM
ROFL ROFL - that reminds me, we STILL heckle my dad because one time we were pulling into Hypermart parking lot in the mid-90s and it had been raining in the area. He sees all the shopping carts down by the bus station but didn't notice it WAS a bus station and remarked 'man they must've really had some storm to blow all those carts way down here.' ROFL ROFL

stanleychief
01-23-2009, 08:36 AM
i will throw another mall that ran into the same problem: indian springs and no i'm not blaming it on blacks(which im sure is coming) it doesnt matter whether black white brown red or green if people are scared to go the place isnt gonna last, might as well admit it and let it go

Indian Springs? I think they fell prey to asian street gangs. It all started when they put in that Panda Express. Sure, at first it's all good. you can get your number 5 with fried rice, but then the attitude starts. "Want to see my egg roll b*tch?" Then it's all downhill from there.

Silock
01-23-2009, 08:48 AM

That's not the determinant of whether or not the area will be successful, though. You're talking about a venue that will be able to host international games, national tournaments and be used from March through October by a professional sports franchise.

Deberg_1990
01-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Pretty cool pics from inside the mall Pre-Bulldozed. Kind of eerie..like a war zone.

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=15320.0

CoMoChief
01-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Should be a first person shooter game map

tyton75
01-12-2011, 11:44 AM
bet that woulda been fun to paintball in!

Skyy God
01-12-2011, 11:53 AM
I think I've played that level on L4D2.

eazyb81
01-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Is Metro North Mall next?

I was back in town over the holidays and heard there's only like two stores still open. Pretty sad.

I remember when going to the Metro North Mall movie theaters and then going to the arcade across from it to watch some asian kid crush sh#t in Street Fighter 2 was an epic Friday night.

soopamanluva
01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Now they need to do something with the big gravel and dirt mound left behind.

Dartgod
01-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Now they need to do something with the big gravel and dirt mound left behind.
They should build a soccer complex there.

Oh, wait...

Hydrae
01-12-2011, 12:15 PM
We have a dying mall here in Austin. The local community college bought some of the stores and I believe I have heard the city is looking to take over the old Macy's store they just announced would be closing. Something about using it for court purposes.

arrowheadnation
01-12-2011, 12:33 PM
www.deadmalls.com

I spent a good couple hours looking at this one day.

Al Bundy
01-12-2011, 07:28 PM
I heard last week that the Bannister Mall area will remain vacant until the city government can get their shit together.

Sure-Oz
01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Miss the bannister mall and North Park is pretty dead thanks to zona....had good memories at those two malls growing up

Al Bundy
01-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I owned a sporting apparel store there in the mid 90's. 2000 the mall went to shit and I was done.

Deberg_1990
01-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I owned a sporting apparel store there in the mid 90's. 2000 the mall went to shit and I was done.

I think i first remember hearing about it going downhill was around 93 or 94 or so? Then i remember the guard towers going up....and it was all downhill from there....

Valiant
01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Is Metro North Mall next?

I was back in town over the holidays and heard there's only like two stores still open. Pretty sad.

I remember when going to the Metro North Mall movie theaters and then going to the arcade across from it to watch some asian kid crush sh#t in Street Fighter 2 was an epic Friday night.

Last I checked, city owns all of it but Dillards.. (paraphrasing)The Dilards person keeps rejecting their plans because he says it is not good enough redevelopment.. So they are trying to use imminent domain on the last anchor store.. That Dillards person is the developer of Zona...

They again last I checked, want to make it an open air mall, theatre in the park and some condo's..

Personally as I have wrote before.. They just need to update the inside structure and then add the rest.. My plan..

Get Sears to move Montgomery Wards anchor from Antioch Mall..
Burlington Coat Factory to Dillards old spot from Antioch Mall..
24hour fitness into JC Penny's spot from Englewood and N Oak, put in swim lanes, huge climbing wall and courts..
Bring back Kelso's redesigned with a patio outside..
Fazolies built into the mall with a drive thru by the old Wards..
Turn the Wards tire building into a sports bar/night club..
Tear down the movie theatre out back and put in Sand volleyball complex in the area..
Can put the theatre in the park area out by the highway and Macy's..
Furrs Cafeteria can hopefully make a comeback inside the mall..

You get the anchors set up right with eateries and the smaller business will come from the overflow of shoppers.. Personally I hope it stays closed air mall, because I hate Zona type places..

Deberg_1990
01-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Personally I hope it stays closed air mall, because I hate Zona type places..

I dont even think they build enclosed malls anymore? Everything new is open air. Enclosed became teen, thug hangouts.

Al Bundy
01-13-2011, 05:23 PM
I think i first remember hearing about it going downhill was around 93 or 94 or so? Then i remember the guard towers going up....and it was all downhill from there....

The towers were up for about a year in 95.

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Miss the bannister mall I spent a lot of change in Fun Factory. :thumb:

MahiMike
01-13-2011, 06:29 PM
I can still remember me and a buddy picking up 2 chicks there that were doing the surveys. We surveyed them out in the parking lot.

Good times.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Let's go to Oaktree and get some snazzy new threads!/1987

TrebMaxx
01-13-2011, 07:56 PM
I think it was at Bannister back in the mid 70's when Malls were closed on Sundays due to the blue laws and the parking lot was bare. I was around 11 or 12 at the time. My Uncle and Dad would race in Gymkhanas (similar to autocross) out in the parking lot. My dad had a 58 Vette and my uncle had a Corvair. There were probably 30-40 pretty cool cars out there, man I miss that.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2011, 08:01 PM
I think it was at Bannister back in the mid 70's.

Bannister didnt open until 1981 or so?

Bob Dole
01-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Pretty sure it was prior to that, because that's where Bob Dole went Back to School shopping a couple of years.

TrebMaxx
01-13-2011, 08:05 PM

You are correct. Must of been another mall that I can't remember the name now. Which ever one it was I bet it has met it's demise as well.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2011, 08:07 PM
You are correct. Must of been another mall that I can't remember the name now. Which ever one it was I bet it has met it's demise as well.

Blue Ridge Mall used to be hoppin back in da day as well.

Bob Dole
01-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Bannister Mall was built and opened in August 1980.

Valiant
01-13-2011, 08:16 PM
I dont even think they build enclosed malls anymore? Everything new is open air. Enclosed became teen, thug hangouts.

I think think the trend will swing back..

TrebMaxx
01-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Blue Ridge Mall used to be hoppin back in da day as well.

Checked with my Aunt and she thinks they raced at Metro North Mall. Is it still around?

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-13-2011, 08:21 PM

I never understood abandoning indoor comfort to go freezing or sweating from store to store in a place like Zona Rosa.

The Malls killed themselves with uber-high rent.

MahiMike
01-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Checked with my Aunt and she thinks they raced at Metro North Mall. Is it still around?

I remember that. Corvair club.

Al Bundy
01-13-2011, 08:41 PM
I never understood abandoning indoor comfort to go freezing or sweating from store to store in a place like Zona Rosa.

The Malls killed themselves with uber-high rent.

The feeling I got about Bannister Mall was that when it was built it was built without the chance of expanding or being redesigned. Oak Park Mall was able to add Nordstroms and I remember Independence Center did some renovations.

Pitt Gorilla
01-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Back in the wayback, we went to Metcalf South. Last I knew, it was pretty bare.

J Diddy
01-13-2011, 10:00 PM

I doubt it. I can honestly say 8 or more years ago I did alot of shopping at a mall. Especially christmas time. This year I didn't even step into a mall, most of mine was done online.

grandllama
01-13-2011, 11:13 PM
My two cents...

Bannister was always my favorite late 80's - early 90's mall but Metro North was closer and Llama Jr. and his sister loved the hot air ballons...

Sad to see them both dead...

But the first KC mall I ever visited (on 4-H conference money) was Blue Ridge... I always thought they could repurpose the old Blue Ridge mall into a much more modern space... and guess what... when I was home last weekend I noticed they had. Wal Mart, Lowes, etc, all in the old space. A very rousing 'open air' shopping center right where Blue Ridge used to stand. Seems they could have reutilized the old infrastructure instead of bull dozing everything, giving Independence rat heaven, then rebuilding shit...

but its still cool to see that part of town alive again. now, on to the little Bannister area issues....

Pitt Gorilla
01-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Man, I spent a lot of money at Babbage's in Northpark Mall.

grandllama
01-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Man, I spent a lot of money at Babbage's in Northpark Mall.

You and me both brother...