PDA

View Full Version : Helmets Attract Cars to Cyclists

tiptap
05-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Spring is in full swing now, and a number of the straphangers (read: subway riders) in New York City, as well as citizens in other locales, are getting new tubes and tires and dragging their bikes out of storage. Bicycle riding is the skill you reportedly never forget, but there's a raging debate about whether or not you should forget your helmet when you hop on your two-wheeler.

Last September a plucky psychologist at the University of Bath in England announced the results of a study in which he played both researcher and guinea pig. An avid cyclist, Ian Walker had heard several complaints from fellow riders that wearing a helmet seemed to result in bike riders receiving far less room to maneuver—effectively increasing the chances of an accident. So, Walker attached ultrasonic sensors to his bike and rode around Bath, allowing 2,300 vehicles to overtake him while he was either helmeted or naked-headed. In the process, he was actually contacted by a truck and a bus, both while helmeted—though, miraculously, he did not fall off his bike either time.

His findings, published in the March 2007 issue of Accident Analysis & Prevention, state that when Walker wore a helmet drivers typically drove an average of 3.35 inches closer to his bike than when his noggin wasn't covered. But, if he wore a wig of long, brown locks—appearing to be a woman from behind—he was granted 2.2 inches more room to ride.

"The implication," Walker says, "is that any protection helmets give is canceled out by other mechanisms, such as riders possibly taking more risks and/or changes in how other road users behave towards cyclists." The extra leeway granted to him when he pretended to be a woman, he explains, could result from several factors, including drivers' perceptions that members of the fairer sex are less capable riders, more frail or just less frequent bikers than men.

Randy Swart, founder of the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute (BHSI), says that studies such as Walker's run the risk of misleading cyclists as to the effectiveness of helmets. "The cars were giving him, on average, a very wide passing clearance already," he explains, noting that most vehicles typically stayed well over three feet from the bikes, rendering the 3.35-inch discrepancy to be insignificant. "If you really want the greatest passing distance, you should wobble down the road," looking as inept as possible, he adds.

Walker actually reanalyzed his data recently to counter this line of reasoning. "I assessed the number of vehicles coming within one meter [roughly 3.3 feet] of the rider, on the principle that these are the ones that pose a risk," he says. "There were 23 percent more vehicles within this one-meter danger zone when a helmet was worn, suggesting a real risk."

Dorothy Robinson, a patron of the Bicycle Helmet Research Foundation and a senior statistician at the University of New England in Armidale, Australia, published a 2006 review article in the BMJ (British Medical Journal) about regions in Australia, New Zealand and Canada that introduced legislation that spurred an over 40 percent increase in bicycle helmet use among their populaces. The newly instituted laws, she found, did not have a significant effect on bicycle accidents resulting in head injuries, the primary purpose of the gear. Her conclusion was "helmets are not designed for forces often encountered in collisions with motor vehicles" as well as that they "may encourage cyclists to take more risks or motorists to take less care when they encounter cyclists."

Coincidentally, around the same time as Walker announced his results, New York City released a report on bicycle deaths and injuries: 225 cyclists died between 1996 and 2005 on New York streets; 97 percent of them were not wearing helmets. Of these deaths, 58 percent are known to involve head injury, but the actual number could be as high as 80 percent. Comparing the helmet to a seat belt in a car, Swart of the BHSI says, "When you do have that crash, you better have it on."

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa029&articleID=778EF0AB-E7F2-99DF-3594A60E4D9A76B2

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Occasionally I'll see some knucklehead bicyclist riding in traffic lanes and even using turn lanes as if they think they are in a car. Seems like a good way to get killed if you ask me.

Simplex3
05-11-2007, 08:44 AM
All you Lance Armstrong wanna-be c**k suckers need to stop clogging up rush hour traffic. If you insist on peddling that POS around in spandex clothes get your dumb ass on one of the multitude of bike trials we tax payers built at your request yet none of you use. Or, you could restrict your ride to roads that have the f**king bicycle lanes that you insisted we install by widening the roads and that you jack holes refuse to use.

F**k you, Mr. bicycle riding man.

stlchiefs
05-11-2007, 09:43 AM
All you Lance Armstrong wanna-be c**k suckers need to stop clogging up rush hour traffic. If you insist on peddling that POS around in spandex clothes get your dumb ass on one of the multitude of bike trials we tax payers built at your request yet none of you use. Or, you could restrict your ride to roads that have the f**king bicycle lanes that you insisted we install by widening the roads and that you jack holes refuse to use.

F**k you, Mr. bicycle riding man

Expect a call from Budweiser trying to buy this script from you for their Real American Hero's campaign.

Al Bundy
05-11-2007, 09:47 AM
I ride my bike to work using sidewalks.. but all other bike rides involve a trail. I see the Spandex wearing riding in groups of 10 Tour De France idiots riding down the middle of the road all over the place, hell I have even seen them on troost.

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-11-2007, 09:49 AM

Well, that's another way to put it. Anyway...just for the record I, and many others, use the bicycle trails around here. I'd rather not get run down by some cell-phone-talking prozac-popping soccer mom driving her SUV crossover.

Lzen
05-11-2007, 09:50 AM
This study is BS. Wearing a helmet is not cancelling out the safety because the rider and drivers around him take more risk. It's very simple. If you get into an accident with a motor vehicle while on a bicycle, your chances of surviving are much better if you are wearing a helmet. I haven't ridden my bike much in the past couple years. But I used to ride it all the time, even to work and back in the Spring and Summer. I would mostly ride on sidewalks (yes, while wearing my helmet). Frankly, I don't trust the average cell phone talking, food eating, etc. driver on the road nowadays.

Lzen
05-11-2007, 09:52 AM
And another thing, the trails they built for bikes here are nice, but they don't go everywhere you need them to go.

4th and Long
05-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Isn't that supposed to be, "Here's to you, Mr. Bicycle Riding Man."?

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-11-2007, 10:01 AM
And another thing, the trails they built for bikes here are nice, but they don't go everywhere you need them to go.
I suppose if you're using your bicycle for transportation purposes that could be a problem, but I don't think that many people actually do. Most of them around here are recreational riders.

cadmonkey
05-11-2007, 11:09 AM
I was riding a bike a few years ago and some dipshit pulls a u-turn from the curb right in front of me. I t-bone the guy and go over his roof and land on my head. Obviously not my fault, i was in the path of traffic so he should have looked. I mean what would have haapend if I was on a motorcycle?

Now I wasn't wearing a helmet..........

scott free
05-11-2007, 11:30 AM

Really couldnt put it any better myself, those clowns & their Spiderman outfits take the cake.

Its called a sidewalk...use it. Sometimes you hear one say "but its illegal to use sidewalks where i'm at", well, it is here too & i have NEVER seen or even heard of a cop issuing a ticket to one using a sidewalk.

Donger
05-11-2007, 11:38 AM

I ride my road bike whenever I can. I do, however, only use roads to get to the trail I ride. I stop at stop signs and don't blow through red lights. I know enough physics to be aware that I'm going to lose any collision with a car.

Bwana
05-11-2007, 11:42 AM

:shake:

No kidding! What's even worse is these dipshit idiots will take their bikes up and down mountain pass roads with no shoulder. When I head up to Cooke City up by the park in the summer, I use a road that is nothing but switchbacks and is dangerous as hell with lots of blind corners. More than once I have damn near taken out some moron on a bike because of it. I just look at my wife and say, Hmm, we damn near picked up a new hood ornament on the Super Duty. :evil:

Lzen
05-11-2007, 11:44 AM
I suppose if you're using your bicycle for transportation purposes that could be a problem, but I don't think that many people actually do. Most of them around here are recreational riders.

The other thing with our trails is that there just isn't enough. One trail gets boring after awhile. Especially since you have to avoid people walking, roller blading, dogs, etc. I much prefer the nature type trails, though. Much more fun. :)

TinyEvel
05-11-2007, 12:09 PM
You cyclist haters are a bunch of selfish dumbasses.

The safest place for a cyclist to ride is with the flow of traffic, on the right hand side of the road.

Now, i'm sure there are plenty of cyclists out there who don't follow the rules and set a bad example for the rest of us. They're the rotten apples, just like in any other group: dog owners, off-road vehicle owners, boaters, NFL playahs, etc. etc.
As for this article, bullshit. I always wear a helmet. I crashed going 35 MPH in a race and if I wasn't wearing a helmet I would either be dead, or typing this with a chopstick held in my teeth.

I commute 15 miles to work twice a week. It takes me only ten minutes longer by bike. (55 minutes vs. 45 in a car). I hope to never give up riding.

Simplex3
05-11-2007, 12:45 PM
...and what is it called when one asshole is holding up rush hour traffic so he can peddle around at 15 or 20mph below the speed limit? That's the very definition of selfish. "My bike ride is more important than ALL OF YOU getting somewhere in a reasonable amount of time..."
Now, i'm sure there are plenty of cyclists out there who don't follow the rules and set a bad example for the rest of us. They're the rotten apples, just like in any other group: dog owners, off-road vehicle owners, boaters, NFL playahs, etc. etc.
Maybe I'm not seeing all the cyclists on the trail I drive past twice a day, but I sure do see a bunch of those c**k lickers on the roads blocking traffic when I'm trying to drive home.

Out here there's not f**king excuse. Just put your bike on the back of your car and drive to one of the dozens of trails that we've paved specifically for this crap.

Bwana
05-11-2007, 12:59 PM

Oh bullshit.............Here is what I'm taking about. Now this guy in the photo is a dumbass.

Donger
05-11-2007, 01:06 PM
...and what is it called when one asshole is holding up rush hour traffic so he can peddle around at 15 or 20mph below the speed limit? That's the very definition of selfish. "My bike ride is more important than ALL OF YOU getting somewhere in a reasonable amount of time..."

Maybe I'm not seeing all the cyclists on the trail I drive past twice a day, but I sure do see a bunch of those c**k lickers on the roads blocking traffic when I'm trying to drive home.

Out here there's not f**king excuse. Just put your bike on the back of your car and drive to one of the dozens of trails that we've paved specifically for this crap.

If the cyclist is obeying the law, I disagree with you.

Personally, I don't ride at rush hour unless I have to.

Donger
05-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Oh bullshit.............Here is what I'm taking about. Now this guy in the photo is a dumbass.

Why is he a dumbass?

Bwana
05-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Why is he a dumbass?

Let me show you..........

4th and Long
05-11-2007, 01:12 PM
If you had a picture of the biker, in mid-plummit off the cliff, I might agree with you. That's just a picture of a really twisty road. :D

Donger
05-11-2007, 01:13 PM

Looks fine to me. Most cyclists that take on passes are skilled enough not to fall off, unless some idiot driver hits them.

I was knocked off my bike once on Loveland Pass. The prick passenger opened up his door on me. Thankfully, the door hit my saddle instead of my back.

Bwana
05-11-2007, 01:13 PM
If you had a picture of the biker, in mid-plummit off the cliff, I might agree with you. That's just a picture of a really twisty road. :D

ROFL

Bwana
05-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Looks fine to me. Most cyclists that take on passes are skilled enough not to fall off, unless some idiot driver hits them.

Ding Ding!! It is a bad road for locals, a bitch for out of staters, a death trap for motorcycles and for bikes.......heh! You have a lot of people who have never driven anything like this (And shouldn't be) crossing over the center line on a regular basis in vehicles. Combine this with numerous blind curbs and, no shoulder and bikes don't mix well on that road. If two cars meet on a blind corner up there and a bike happens to be in the mix, it's road pizza time. I'll tell you what, pack your bike and come up here for a little vacation and ride that road. If you make it off the mountain alive, I think you will get my point and won't do it twice.

Donger
05-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Ding Ding!! It is a bad road for locals, a bitch for out of staters, a death trap for motorcycles and for bikes.......heh! You have a lot of people who have never driven anything like this (And shouldn't be) crossing over the center line on a regular basis in vehicles. Combine this with numerous blind curbs and, no shoulder and bikes don't mix well on that road. If two cars meet on a blind corner up there and a bike happens to be in the mix, it's road pizza time. I'll tell you what, pack your bike and come up here for a little vacation and ride that road. If you make it off the mountain alive, I think you will get my point and won't do it twice.

I don't disagree, obviously. I'm just making the point that if the cyclist is obeying the law, he has as much right to be on the road as the driver.

Bwana
05-11-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't disagree, obviously. I'm just making the point that if the cyclist is obeying the law, he has as much right to be on the road as the driver.

True, but it's hard to bring up that point if you're dead. In this case, it all boils down to common sense. There is a lack of that commodity up there at times.

Simplex3
05-11-2007, 01:33 PM
True, but it's hard to bring up that point if you're dead. In this case, it all boils down to common sense. There is a lack of that commodity up there at times.
Kind of like the college girls running in the park at the end of the bar district when the bars let out. Sure, it's perfectly legal but it might not be the smartest move.

Donger
05-11-2007, 01:33 PM

Trust me, I know. I just take issue with people who have issues with all cyclists.

Simplex3
05-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Trust me, I know. I just take issue with people who have issues with all cyclists.
I don't hate them all. If you're a hot chick with a great ass I'll drive behind you for miles no problem.

Donger
05-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I don't hate them all. If you're a hot chick with a great ass I'll drive behind you for miles no problem.

ROFL

TinyEvel
05-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Bullshit again. That's the problem with the mentality of most drivers. Instead of speeding up and crossing the line to go around, slow down and pass when it is safe to do so. That might hold a person up, what, TEN seconds at most?

I ride my bike through Mulholland drive almost every ride (I have to, to get to/from my house) and when I'm going downhill I ride in the middle of the lane, because I am going just as fast (sometimes fater) than most cars. If someone gains on me, I move over.
Uphill, I stay as far to the right as possible and keep aware of my surroundings. Ideally, the best cities have bike lanes on the right of traffic lanes, but most don't.

Bwana
05-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Fair enough.

Bwana
05-11-2007, 01:54 PM
TE: I could give two shits about slowing down and taking a bit more time. What gravels my ass is round a blind corner up there and having brain dead biker Bob RIGHT THERE auditioning for the new hood ornament of the week club. Once again, it all boils down to common sense and anyone that rides THAT ROAD on a bike is a dipshit.

tiptap
05-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I like the runoff drains with the big grates in the bike lane.

Mojo Rising
05-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Really couldnt put it any better myself, those clowns & their Spiderman outfits take the cake.

Its called a sidewalk...use it. Sometimes you hear one say "but its illegal to use sidewalks where i'm at", well, it is here too & i have NEVER seen or even heard of a cop issuing a ticket to one using a sidewalk.

So you want bikes travelling over 25 MPH on the sidewalk dodging pedestrians? That seems more dangerous.

In SF the bike riders started a ride on the last Friday of the month at 5 PM called Critical Mass. They basically ride around town and ride through every stop light/sign crippling traffic in the city.

Once they start tying up an intersection cars are stuck for 10+ minutes.

A month and a half ago there were 2 violent incidents.

The 1st was when a Mom with her 2 kids was attacked by 20+ riders for being accused of bumping a rider. They used their locks to smash the van windows with the kids in the car.

The second was a limo driver who was attacked by another gang.

Bikers do have a right to be on the road so you should act civilly and pass when safe. Ask yourself if it was your son , daughter, sister, or brother on that bike how would you want drivers to act.

Bikers also need to understand that they do have a right to be on the road. They also owe it to their family to understand that there will be 2 losers if they challenge a car.

Car driver in jail and bike rider in a grave.

scott free
05-12-2007, 12:24 AM
So you want bikes travelling over 25 MPH on the sidewalk dodging pedestrians? That seems more dangerous.

In SF the bike riders started a ride on the last Friday of the month at 5 PM called Critical Mass. They basically ride around town and ride through every stop light/sign crippling traffic in the city.

The 1st was when a Mom with her 2 kids was attacked by 20+ riders for being accused of bumping a rider. They used their locks to smash the van windows with the kids in the car.

Bikers do have a right to be on the road so you should act civilly and pass when safe. Ask yourself if it was your son , daughter, sister, or brother on that bike how would you want drivers to act.

Bikers also need to understand that they do have a right to be on the road. They also owe it to their family to understand that there will be 2 losers if they challenge a car.

Oh geeez, where to start???

Bottom line is that its ALL about common sense, many of these Armstrong wannabe's just dont get it.

EVEN in situations where they may have the LEGAL right...does NOT mean they have COMMON SENSE right...motor vehicles, even driven by the most conscientious drivers, can wax your ass in a mere heartbeat.

Use common sense.

As for a family attacked by cyclists...i SWEAR i'm putting all intraweb badass stuff aside...if i had been there, i would have taken out atleast 3 of them on anger alone.

Cyclists have the main responsibility in looking out for THEIR OWN safety.

TinyEvel
05-12-2007, 12:32 AM

That critical mass attack sitch you wrote of is completely assinine. Must have been bike messengers. They're the "hell's angels" of cyclists. Must have been. Real cyclists don't carry locks on their rides.

All I carry is my banana

PBJ

Mojo Rising
05-12-2007, 12:42 AM
I agree with you that bikers need to ride responsibly so they don't get injured. My last sentence was an attempt to say that the bike will lose in a collision and the rider owes it to his/her family to ride responsibly.

I didn't see the limo driver in the 2nd incident but from the descripton of the story he was holding his own vs. a couple of the bicyclist. When 15+ swarmed him is when he didn't have a chance.

You might have taken out 3 but the other 12 might have gotten the best of you.

I am anti-critical mass. I hate the way they thumb their nose at the law.

It has been my experience that in the mid-west there is a severe anti-cyclist attitude and I just wanted to convey that if it takes 2 blocks to pass them, wherever you're going will still be there when you get there.

scott free
05-12-2007, 12:49 AM
I agree with you that bikers need to ride responsibly so they don't get injured. My last sentence was an attempt to say that the bike will lose in a collision and the rider owes it to his/her family to ride responsibly.

I didn't see the limo driver in the 2nd incident but from the descripton of the story he was holding his own vs. a couple of the bicyclist. When 15+ swarmed him is when he didn't have a chance.

You might have taken out 3 but the other 12 might have gotten the best of you.

I am anti-critical mass. I hate the way they thumb their nose at the law.

It has been my experience that in the mid-west there is a severe anti-cyclist attitude and I just wanted to convey that if it takes 2 blocks to pass them, wherever you're going will still be there when you get there.

I think i can handle my own pretty well, especially full of righteous anger...but yeah, 12 guys are gonna get me.

My whole point is that cyclists, due to their extremely vulnerable positions, are ultimately resonsible for not only their own safety...but the safety of goodhearted motorists who may swerve to avoid them & therefore endanger their own familys as well.

Guru
05-12-2007, 01:29 AM
I ride my bike to work using sidewalks.. but all other bike rides involve a trail. I see the Spandex wearing riding in groups of 10 Tour De France idiots riding down the middle of the road all over the place, hell I have even seen them on troost.
Hell, here the police can actually ticket you for riding on the sidewalks. BS if you ask me. I don't ride my bike on city streets if I can help it.

tmax63
05-12-2007, 06:51 AM
I was elk hunting a few years back and was about a three hour walk back into the woolies from the end of the 4-wheel drive trail and as I'm sitting there waiting for a critter to appear, (I had already seen a coyote at about 50 yards) I had a f##king bicyclist tree-hugger come riding through wearing a brown and purple spandex outfit about 75 yards from where I was sitting in the middle of hunting season. No blaze orange or anything to make sure somebody saw him. I was so tempted to put a round thru his gear cluster on the back wheel and let him carry that POS bicycle outa there on his shoulder.

Lzen
05-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Hell, here the police can actually ticket you for riding on the sidewalks. BS if you ask me. I don't ride my bike on city streets if I can help it.

I have ridden on sidewalks here for years and never been ticketed. The first time a cop tries that I'll just say "have you seen the way people in this city drive? Riding in the street would be like playing Russian Roulette with your life. Plus, I always ride my bike off the sidewalk and onto the grass when I pass pedestrians."

Lzen
05-12-2007, 09:14 AM
I was elk hunting a few years back and was about a three hour walk back into the woolies from the end of the 4-wheel drive trail and as I'm sitting there waiting for a critter to appear, (I had already seen a coyote at about 50 yards) I had a f##king bicyclist tree-hugger come riding through wearing a brown and purple spandex outfit about 75 yards from where I was sitting in the middle of hunting season. No blaze orange or anything to make sure somebody saw him. I was so tempted to put a round thru his gear cluster on the back wheel and let him carry that POS bicycle outa there on his shoulder.

Dude, it is your responsibility as a hunter to know if something is game or not. It is not the bicyclist's or anyone else's responsibility. If this area was just in the woods he has just as much right as you. Now if the area is clearly marked with signs and such as a hunting ground, that is different.

PHOG
05-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Dude, it is your responsibility as a hunter to know if something is game or not. It is not the bicyclist's or anyone else's responsibility. If this area was just in the woods he has just as much right as you. Now if the area is clearly marked with signs and such as a hunting ground, that is different.

:spock:

Donger
05-12-2007, 09:39 AM
I can't help but notice the anti-cyclists always seem to mention the clothing cyclists wear.

Why is that?

spandex clothes
Spandex wearing
Spiderman outfits
brown and purple spandex outfit

PHOG
05-12-2007, 09:44 AM
I can't help but notice the anti-cyclists always seem to mention the clothing cyclists wear.

Why is that?

spandex clothes
Spandex wearing
Spiderman outfits

Raiderfan :jester: :grouphug: lambs :Peace:

:D ;)

milkman
05-12-2007, 09:55 AM

What pisses me off is the dumb****s that htink that the white line that separates traffic lanes from bike lanes IS the bike lane.

I've said many times that there should be a law that allows every motorist to run over one bicyclist that rides the line a year.

I'd bet that would get those muther****ers to the right of the line.

Donger
05-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Raiderfan :jester: :grouphug: lambs :Peace:

:D ;)

Repressed metrosexuality, perhaps?

PHOG
05-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Repressed metrosexuality, perhaps?

Oh, sorry...I was watching the funniest moments in TV history.

Who knows, I'm finishing breakfast, then going to the garage to clean a few bug splats off, and then hope to God I don't cross paths with someone that thinks that their incoming cell phone call is the end all, be all of cell phone calls(like last year)and forget that there is actually other peple on the road..

Have a good one today.

cdcox
05-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Any one who thinks cycilists shouldn't wear spandex needs to ride for 25 miles on a hot day with out it. The massive case of jock itch will convince you that bike shorts, at least, are mandatory for serious cycling.

Same with riding on sidewalks. Even a weekend warrior cyclist is going to de doing 15 to 20 mph. Sidwalks are uneven. They are often blocked by cars in the drive way. The tight right angle turns are not condusive to taking a turn at any speed. Sidewalks are not designed or meant for bicycles.

Bike trails are great, but you need at least 25 miles for a decent ride. Where I live 3-4 miles is the longest continuous trail. Plus, you get people strolling along on them, and its impossible to ride at 15-20 mph.

As far as bikes using turn lanes just like a car, that is the only safe way to make a left hand turn on a road that has any amount of traffic. Think about it. If a bike tried to make a left turn from the righst side of the right lane, it would be the most jackass stunt you can imagine. When I do use the turn lane, I ride as fast as possible and quickly move back to the right hand side of the road, in order not to impede traffic more than absolutely necessary.

When I ride, which is pretty rarely these days, I avoid the busiest roads at the busiest times. If roads had bike lanes or even a nice wide shoulder, I'd ride a lot more than I do.

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-12-2007, 10:37 AM

Why is that?

spandex clothes
Spandex wearing
Spiderman outfits
I can't believe no one used the term "nut huggers".

Demonpenz
05-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Yay sitting on your ass watching the chiefs lose again. Booo living an active lifestyle

Donger
05-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I can't believe no one used the term "nut huggers".

I just got a new pair of shorts with a gel chamois. It's heaven.

RJ
05-12-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm not a cyclist, I am a driver, and I really don't see the bicycles as a problem. So I might on some occasions have to slow down for a moment, so what? I don't believe I've ever felt inconvenienced because of a bike.

What does bother me, though, are those little crotch rocket cycles. Does anybody ever ride one of those things and do the speed limit?

tmax63
05-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Lzen, I know my responsibilities as a hunter and I know he has a right to be out there as well. I wasn't just in the woods, I was 3 hours hiking from the end of the motorized trail head. That said, all the elk seasons put together take about 4 weeks and weekends out here. The bicyclist has about 48 other weekends in which to enjoy nature when there aren't hunters out carrying rifles. Many of which are much nicer weather. I am a good hunter, safety conscious, eat what I shoot, etc. etc. etc. but not all the hunters out there are good. There are some hunters out there who have never seen an elk in the wild and shoot at that flash of brown moving thru trees at 15-20 mph thinking it is a running elk. I don't interfere with the bikers pastime, recreation or whatever you wish to call it and would appreciate the same courtesy shown to me the 1 weekend a year that I try to put some meat in the freezer.

Donger
05-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Lzen, I know my responsibilities as a hunter and I know he has a right to be out there as well. That said, all the elk seasons put together take about 4 weeks and weekends out here. The bicyclist has about 48 other weekends in which to enjoy nature when there aren't hunters out carrying rifles. Many of which are much nicer weather. I am a good hunter, safety conscious, eat what I shoot, etc. etc. etc. but not all the hunters out there are good. There are some hunters out there who have never seen an elk in the wild and shoot at that flash of brown moving thru trees at 15-20 mph thinking it is a running elk. I don't interfere with the bikers pastime, recreation or whatever you wish to call it and would appreciate the same courtesy shown to me the 1 weekend a year that I try to put some meat in the freezer.

You assume that a cyclist would even know it's hunting season? I wouldn't have a clue.

tmax63
05-12-2007, 04:12 PM
It's pretty hard to miss all the campers, tents, 4-wheelers, pickups and everything else needed to spend 3-10 days in the woods. That's if you don't read the local papers that talk about hunting seasons and changes in the hunting regulations. The guy that rode past me had to of traveled past 2 or 3 camps of 4-8 hunters each complete with an animal or 2 hanging from meat poles and then proceeded to bike another hour deeper into the woods to get to where I was.

cdcox
05-12-2007, 09:44 PM
It's pretty hard to miss all the campers, tents, 4-wheelers, pickups and everything else needed to spend 3-10 days in the woods. That's if you don't read the local papers that talk about hunting seasons and changes in the hunting regulations. The guy that rode past me had to of traveled past 2 or 3 camps of 4-8 hunters each complete with an animal or 2 hanging from meat poles and then proceeded to bike another hour deeper into the woods to get to where I was.

The cyclist probably knew as much about hunting as you do about cycling. The cyclist cared as much about respecting the enjoyment of your pastime as you do about respecting the enjoyment of his.

He may not have realized that you'd be so deep in the woods. He probably figured he'd be beyond the hunters after the first 20 minutes of his 4 hour ride.

It's all a matter of perspective. Wilderness area are shrinking at the same time as the number of people who enjoy them are increasing. Maybe they need to ban cyclists from public hunting areas during the season. But you can't blame him for doing what he loves.

Rain Man
05-12-2007, 09:50 PM
You assume that a cyclist would even know it's hunting season? I wouldn't have a clue.

It's those two weeks when people shoot at you from the woods instead of from the pickup passenger window.

Mojo Rising
05-13-2007, 01:45 AM

Why do you think cyclists are tree huggers? George Bush is a cyclist. I live in the land of tree huggers and don't agree with them. I also know a lot of conservative people who ride bikes for exercise.

He wasn't wearing blaze orange, but the purple probably saved his life.

It sounds like you were not on private land. If it was public than he has just as much right to be there, and do what he wants as you.