PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth

chagrin
05-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey - so I am 37 and never had an issue with the wisdom teeth to this point. I don't even know if they are a problem now, but over the past few weeks I have noticed some pain in my molars, the ones in the very back, top and bottom. I take care of my teeth pretty well and my last checkup there were no signs of decay anywhere in there.

Does anyone here have any "wisdom teeth experience", did you feel this type of pain before you found out you had to have them cut out or whatever?

Thanks

Dicky McElephant
05-11-2007, 03:48 PM
I didn't have any pain. I just went in for my routine checkup and they told me they were starting to come in. My brother on the other hand had pain in pretty much the locations you're talking about.

Smed1065
05-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I had mine removed before leaving the Army to go to college. I knew I did not want to miss time or have the money to pay for it.

Never missed them and had no complications with the procedure.

Nzoner
05-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I remember being told mine were impacted and that they would need to be cut out and that it would be a good idea to be put under.Of course my old man was too cheap to loan me the money at the time so I had to go the numb routine only and it hurt like a bitch.Doc had to take a little chisel and literally crack the teeth to get them out.

Thankfully that was a once in a lifetime deal.

DJJasonp
05-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Im 36 and just had 2 out four months ago.

Sucked royally. I think the worst part though is all the shots you get at the beginning to numb you up...after that, you really dont feel anything but pressure (the cracking sound sucks...but you dont feel it).

The first 24 hours is hell....but tolerable after that.

Lost some weight out of the deal though since I couldnt eat regular food for about 2 weeks.

sedated
05-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I was told my whole life that I didn't need to pull them as long as I had no pain.

Then I went to my newest dentist, and she told me I should have them out, along with a long list of other unnecessary bullshit (fillings and crap, pfft). I won't go to her anymore.

Nzoner
05-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Im 36 and just had 2 out four months ago.

Sucked royally. I think the worst part though is all the shots you get at the beginning to numb you up...after that, you really dont feel anything but pressure (the cracking sound sucks...but you dont feel it).

The first 24 hours is hell....but tolerable after that.

Your dentist must've been alot better than mine and I totally agree with that first 24 hours

DaFace
05-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Seems that different people deal with it at different levels. When I got mine out I was back on my feet and feeling mostly find the next day. My fiancee, on the other hand, basically didn't move for three days and was in pain at some level for nearly three weeks.

noa
05-11-2007, 04:10 PM
I would recommend getting sedated rather than getting the numbing shots if that is an option. You'll have to bring someone with you to the office to take you home after the procedure, and you'll probably want to stock up on jello and soup, but if you take care of the cleaning properly, you should recover quickly. I don't think I've known a single person who actually needed all the pain pills that are prescribed.

StcChief
05-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Had mine out @21-22 top not impacted. bottom were impacted.

So I went thru it TWICE. ~year apart.

Don't do that. Get them all out at once.

DMAC
05-11-2007, 04:49 PM
How do you know when they are impacted? Pain? Or just when the dentist tells you.

Count Alex's Losses
05-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Before I had mine taken out I had a constant feeling that the back of my mouth was jam packed with crap. It was very uncomfortable.

88TG88
05-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Seems that different people deal with it at different levels. When I got mine out I was back on my feet and feeling mostly find the next day. My fiancee, on the other hand, basically didn't move for three days and was in pain at some level for nearly three weeks.
Except for some minor discomfort, I was fine 24 hours after surgery as well.

chagrin
05-11-2007, 04:59 PM
How do you know when they are impacted? Pain? Or just when the dentist tells you.

From what I can tell from the articles, and some x-ray photos, the impaction I think means it's moving in on the other molars territory, some of them become horizontal, that's a creepy picture i saw on wikipedia. I do not want to post it because it's awful looking.

My friggin Dental won't kick in until July, my dumb ass dropped it aftr my last checkup. The pain is pretty bad, hopefully it will go away for a while

Stewie
05-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Three of my four wisdom teeth were in when x-rays showed the fourth tooth growing forward into the root of the molar in front. No pain, but the dentist said that could cause huge problems. Had them pulled under sedation, no problem. (Insurance paid for all of it.)

chagrin
05-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Except for some minor discomfort, I was fine 24 hours after surgery as well.

How do you clean the area after surgey? I would think that the tissue is so tender that it would like, tear apart the stitches.

88TG88
05-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I didn't get stitches. They just left a little hole where the teeth used to be. They gave me a little water squirty thing to blast all the gunk out.

Simplex3
05-11-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't think I've known a single person who actually needed all the pain pills that are prescribed.
I didn't take any of them. Of course I didn't take any of them with either of my knee surgeries or my toe surgery, either. As a matter of fact I've quit filling the prescriptions.

:shrug:

Simplex3
05-11-2007, 05:37 PM
I didn't get stitches. They just left a little hole where the teeth used to be. They gave me a little water squirty thing to blast all the gunk out.
You weren't surgical were you? For me all four were impacted and had to be surgically removed (broken apart, too). Other than the doc nearly killing me with the anesthetic (I'm a cheap date) the whole thing was easy except for the no solid foods thing.

My wife, on the other hand, had a much rougher time of it. "Oh, we're so tough, we can have babies" my ass.

stlchiefs
05-11-2007, 05:38 PM
I would recommend getting sedated.

?

chagrin
05-11-2007, 06:12 PM
?

I saw that, and think it's a good idea - sedated, you go in my stead!

HemiEd
05-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Crazy deal for me, I was 23 with a new baby and wife, ready to get discharged from Navy. The Navy Dentist told me they needed to come out, so I said go ahead, knowing it would be free.

Well, this guy was an ensign, as in n00b! Once he got started, he was in for more than they taught him in school. The roots of my Wisdom teeth had gotten attached pretty good. He ended up leaving the office several times, to seek advice from superiors. He also ended up in the dental chair with me, for more leverage. This experience lasted most of the afternoon. He ended up removing them, pieces at a time. My mouth would hardly function for days.

Within a year, my private Dentist told me the other two needed to be removed. I said hell no, for quite some time. Finally, when he did it, it only took him a few minutes. He knew what he was doing.

trndobrd
05-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey - so I am 37 and never had an issue with the wisdom teeth to this point. I don't even know if they are a problem now, but over the past few weeks I have noticed some pain in my molars, the ones in the very back, top and bottom. I take care of my teeth pretty well and my last checkup there were no signs of decay anywhere in there.

Does anyone here have any "wisdom teeth experience", did you feel this type of pain before you found out you had to have them cut out or whatever?

Thanks

When I was about 25 my wisdom teeth just came in like my other teeth. My dentist was adamant that I had to have them removed immediately or I would be subject to a lifetime of pain and misery. My new dentist says that I should leave them alone until they bother me. Still waiting.

Iowanian
05-11-2007, 06:43 PM
I had 2 of mine cut out, with a local. I can't take pain pills because of my guts.

It wasn't that bad. Don't "suck" on the spot or fiddle with it or it could get dry socket...which you don't want.

Chiefnj2
05-11-2007, 07:44 PM
It's not bad. I had 3 taken out. 1 was impacted. If they are sticking out it is no big deal. If it is impacted it will be a little more sore for a few days after removal. Pay for the gas in addition to the novacaine.

Get some pain pills, but eat something with them. If you don't eat you run the risk that your stomach can get upset and you'll throw up the blood you swallowed during the procedure and open up the newly healed scabs in your mouth and you'll have to bite on teabags for an hour or two to stop the bleeding.

cdcox
05-11-2007, 09:51 PM
I had mine out at around 40. I had a cavity in one of them, and the dentist didn't want to fill it. She recommended that I have them all yanked. I didn't have any problems getting them out. Not sure it was necessary though. I'd lived with them that long and only one of them was a problem.

DMAC
05-11-2007, 09:55 PM
How much does it cost to get them removed?