PDA

View Full Version : 50 Greatest Boxers of All Time

GoHuge
05-11-2007, 05:56 PM
At least Mayweather didn't make the Top 20. Some of these make me scratch my head, but I'm not an "expert" :shrug:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/greatest/featureVideo?page=greatest150

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Henry Armstrong
4. Joe Louis
5. Willie Pep
6. Roberto Duran
7. Benny Leonard
8. Jack Johnson
9. Jack Dempsey
10. Sam Langford
11. Joe Gans
12. Sugar Ray Leonard
13. Harry Greb
14. Rocky Marciano
15. Jimmy Wilde
16. Gene Tunney
17. Mickey Walker
18. Archie Moore
19. Stanley Ketchel
20. George Foreman
21. Tony Canzoneri
22. Barney Ross
23. Jimmy McLarnin
24. Julio Cesar Chavez
25. Marcel Cerdan
26. Joe Frazier
27. Ezzard Charles
28. Jake LaMotta
29. Sandy Saddler
30. Terry McGovern
31. Billy Conn
32. Jose Napoles
33. Ruben Olivares
34. Emile Griffith
35. Marvin Hagler
36. Eder Jofre
37. Thomas Hearns
38. Larry Holmes
39. Oscar De La Hoya
40. Evander Holyfield
41. Ted "Kid" Lewis
42. Alexis Arguello
43. Marco Antonio Barrera
44. Pernell Whitaker
45. Carlos Monzon
46. Roy Jones Jr.
47. Bernard Hopkins
48. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
49. Erik Morales
50. Mike Tyson

Fruit Ninja
05-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Chavez should be higher. he didnt lose his first fight til he was well into his what 90th pro fight? That is freaking unheard of.

madshaw16
05-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Tyson should be a lot higher too, who put this list together?

siberian khatru
05-11-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm not an expert either -- and really haven't followed boxing since the late 80s/early 90s -- but, man, I'd think Joe Louis would be above Robinson. Off the top of my head, I'd go with Louis and Ali.

FD
05-11-2007, 06:25 PM
That pick for #1 seems crazy to me, like they chose him just to be different. There are arguments for Ali and Louis as #1, but theres a big gap between them and #3 in my view.

Also, Rocky Marciano only 14??

unothadeal
05-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Where's Rocky?

JohnnyV13
05-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Ali is the best I've ever seen. He could be fat and lazy late in his career, but Ali was the best ring tactician I have ever watched.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-11-2007, 06:53 PM

Tribal Warfare
05-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Roy Jones should be way higher ranked than #46

BWillie
05-11-2007, 07:02 PM
How the hell is Sugar Ray Robinson #1? I'm sick of this pound for pound crap. Welterweight, middle weight, featherweight,.. that is like having an NBA and NFL for people who are small and not as genetically gifted. It's complete bullshit. If you put Muhammed Ali or Mike Tyson in the ring with Sugar freaking Ray Robinson, Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd Mayweather,...then they are going to get knocked the F*** out in the first round.

Think about this, if "#50" 225 lbs Mike Tyson fought "#1" 160 lbs Sugar Ray it'd be such a massacre it wouldn't even be funny. Probably a middle round 2 KO at the BEST. You don't compare women's sports to men's sports, and its basically the same thing we are discussing here. There is a big difference.

Skip Towne
05-11-2007, 08:53 PM
My grandad fought #7, Benny Leonard. He lost on a 7th round TKO.

oaklandhater
05-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Hopkins is better then half the boxers on that list.

Brianfo
05-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Mike Tyson #50. Give me a break. The guy is a complete loser, but he was feared in his prime. Everyone wanted to see what he would do next. I quit reading after George Foreman. Who the hell did he beat?? Anyone????????????????????????????????

KCinNY
05-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Mike Tyson #50. Give me a break. The guy is a complete loser, but he was feared in his prime. Everyone wanted to see what he would do next. I quit reading after George Foreman. Who the hell did he beat?? Anyone????????????????????????????????

I dunno, he knocked Joe Frazier out of the ring once.

Logical
05-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Where's Rocky?#14;)

DaneMcCloud
05-11-2007, 09:56 PM
What a joke. Where's Wilfredo Benitez and Danny "Little" Red Lopez? How about Carmen Basilio?

And Ezzard Charles at 27? Is this guy smokin' crack? Ezzard Charles was a chump who hung around long enough to win the title from Jersey Joe Walcott but his overall record was 90-25! And he got beat by some serious bums before and after he won the title.

As for Tyson, he's not even in the top 100. Once he held the title, he NEVER beat a fighter under 30 years old and once he finally faced a fighter under 30 while champion, he got his ass knocked out. And he never recovered.

DaneMcCloud
05-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Oh, and Gene freakin' Tunney? He won the title in an extremely close decision against Jack Dempsey (who had held the title for 7+ years when he fought Tunney) and in the rematch, there was the infamous "Long Count". Film reveals that the fight should have been over but the ref didn't start the count in time. Anyway, Dempsey lost the rematch (in which most people thought he'd won, AGAIN) and Tunney never fought again.

greg63
05-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Sugar Ray Leonard is my favorite.

DaneMcCloud
05-11-2007, 10:06 PM
I think they made up this list so people would either research the old timer or watch some upcoming special.

Where's Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker? How many titles does Tommy Hearns have to win to be ranked higher than 37? And where's the love for Michael Spinks? He was dominant light heavyweight champion (even though I think he got beat TWICE by Larry Holmes).

This is a joke.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-11-2007, 10:43 PM
How is Marvin Hagler only 35th?? This reeks of another media-contrived countdown where the more press-friendly guys take spots over more willing fighters.

Marvin Hagler was the baddest motherf*cker in the division during one of the great periods any division ever had. Personally, I always liked Ray Leonard a lot more, he didn't scare the f*ck out of me, but it would be hard to rank all those middleweights ahead of the Marvelous One.

COchief
05-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Tyson at 50 is insane, he was the baddest man on the planet by a mile at age 20. De La Hoya is an enormous pussy, I don't give a shit how many "fights" he pranced around and got a win from.

DaneMcCloud
05-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Tyson at 50 is insane, he was the baddest man on the planet by a mile at age 20. De La Hoya is an enormous pussy, I don't give a shit how many "fights" he pranced around and got a win from.

Really? Who did Tyson beat on his way to the Championship? How many world ranked fighters before winning his first title?

NONE. Tyson was a paper champion. Nothing more.

And as I stated earlier, he never beat a man under 30 while champion.

TinyEvel
05-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Wait, where the hell is Pam Anderson? and CHER??!!!

Oh, wait, thought it was the 50 greatest BOXES of al time (rim shot!)

jspchief
05-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Anyone see the PBS special on Jack Johnson that ran about a year ago?

Good Stuff.

milkman
05-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Really? Who did Tyson beat on his way to the Championship? How many world ranked fighters before winning his first title?

So true.

Larry Holmes, on the other hand, is possibly the most underrated boxer.

siberian khatru
05-12-2007, 09:45 AM

I totally agree. I was scared he was going to be in the top 10 of this list just because of the hype/image. At least they put him last among 50, but I wouldn't put him on the list at all.

FD
05-12-2007, 10:22 AM

"Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!" ring a bell?

Not to mention his comeback when he was like 60.

FD
05-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Also, I nominate this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Galento

Micjones
05-12-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't so much to the names so much as the order of this list.

Fruit Ninja
05-12-2007, 11:56 AM
how is he a big pussy, when he has fought EVERYONE that has ever approached him. Only fight he really got his ass beat was when he was fighting a light heavyweight, and had no business taking the fight. call him what you want about him looking like a pretty boy and what not, but he is in no way a pussy.

jlscorpio
05-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Hamas stole my post!!! Hagler is easily top 15. He beat Duran, Hearns, and (in reality) Leonard in a 3-5 year span, I believe. 35 is proposterous.

DaneMcCloud
05-12-2007, 12:07 PM
how is he a big pussy, when he has fought EVERYONE that has ever approached him. Only fight he really got his ass beat was when he was fighting a light heavyweight, and had no business taking the fight. call him what you want about him looking like a pretty boy and what not, but he is in no way a pussy.

Uh, what world are you living in? Tyson fought NO ONE on his way to the championship, then fought a bunch of over-the-hill fighters to get there (Tony Tucker, James "Bonehugger" Smith and Trevor Berbick). He back out of TWO scheduled fights with Holyfield before losing to Douglass.

He wouldn't fight Michael Dokes, Lennox Lewis, Razor Rudduck, Smokin' Bert Cooper, Riddick Bowe or Ray Mercer. And once he did finally step into the ring with fighters his age, he got his ass whooped.

He was a paper champion and once he lost the title, he had virtually no chance of getting it back because he need to face REAL fighters to do so, not hand-picked tomato cans.

TRR
05-12-2007, 12:09 PM
It's funny to see how far Roy Jones Jr has fallen. Some were saying he may be the best pound for pound boxer ever at one time. Now he barely sneaks into the Top 50.

Fruit Ninja
05-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Uh, what world are you living in? Tyson fought NO ONE on his way to the championship, then fought a bunch of over-the-hill fighters to get there (Tony Tucker, James "Bonehugger" Smith and Trevor Berbick). He back out of TWO scheduled fights with Holyfield before losing to Douglass.

He wouldn't fight Michael Dokes, Lennox Lewis, Razor Rudduck, Smokin' Bert Cooper, Riddick Bowe or Ray Mercer. And once he did finally step into the ring with fighters his age, he got his ass whooped.

He was a paper champion and once he lost the title, he had virtually no chance of getting it back because he need to face REAL fighters to do so, not hand-picked tomato cans.
I was talking about Oscar, not Tyson.

He actually beat Ruddock 2 times, but i loved Ruddocks' style. To bad his head wasnt into boxing only for the 2 Tyson fights.

Fruit Ninja
05-12-2007, 02:05 PM
It's funny to see how far Roy Jones Jr has fallen. Some were saying he may be the best pound for pound boxer ever at one time. Now he barely sneaks into the Top 50.
Becuase he tried to keep fighting at 35 years old and when you get older in the younger divisions they just throw to fast for you to react like you did when your 30. Heavyweights tend to fight better when they are older due to the punches not bieng as fast and are able to react better. Hopkins did it, but he's a freak.

DaneMcCloud
05-12-2007, 02:50 PM
I was talking about Oscar, not Tyson.

He actually beat Ruddock 2 times, but i loved Ruddocks' style. To bad his head wasnt into boxing only for the 2 Tyson fights.

Oh, sorry. That wasn't very clear. Yes, he "beat" Rudduck but it was after he lost the title, not before. I still can't believe that Richard Steele stopped the first Tyson-Ruddock fight. It seemed fixed.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-12-2007, 05:59 PM
There is no f*cking way that De La Hoya deserves a spot next to Larry Holmes, Hagler, or in front of Roy Jones.

We all know that Boxing is probably the most crooked sport, but why does it extend to the media??

Brock
05-12-2007, 06:54 PM
I've never even heard of a lot of those guys.