PDA

View Full Version : Alan Faneca wants out of Pittsburgh!

brent102fire
05-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Upset Faneca tells Steelers he's gone after '07

NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (May 11, 2007) -- Longtime star lineman Alan Faneca says he is through negotiating with the Pittsburgh Steelers, pushing them again to trade him and promising he won't play for them past this season.

Faneca, an All-Pro left guard five times since 2001, reported to a three-day minicamp only because it is mandatory and he could be fined for not attending. He didn't threaten to sit out the season, but made clear his unhappiness with a team that won the Super Bowl only 15 months ago.

"This will be my last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler," Faneca said.

Faneca, a nine-season veteran widely regarded as one of the NFL's top offensive linemen, said the Steelers' only offer to him wouldn't have made him one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid guards.

Faneca would like to be traded, but is resigned with staying with Pittsburgh for another season.

"I've been asking since February to trade me, to let me go," Faneca said. "I've done my piece. I've done my time. I've done everything I can for this organization. I've lived and breathed Steeler football for nine years and gave them everything I've had and helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly."

Faneca's criticism is virtually unprecedented for a Steelers player so accomplished -- only a handful of players in team history have made All-Pro more than he has.

The Steelers usually re-sign their key players and, thanks greatly to player-friendly owner Dan Rooney, have long been considered the NFL's model franchise for handling players.

That these barbed remarks came from Faneca, an accessible but almost never outspoken player, made his pointed comments all the more surprising. Faneca is worried that, should he sustain a career-ending injury, he has no contract protection beyond 2007.

"To make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," he said.

Team spokesman Dave Lockett said the Steelers wouldn't comment because they don't negotiate publicly. New coach Mike Tomlin called Faneca's outburst "part of the things that create distractions" and must be overcome during his first season.

"It's part of the things you've got to fight," Tomlin said. "It comes with the territory in today's NFL."

The 30-year-old Faneca also effectively said the Steelers misled him two years ago, making him think he would get a significant contract offer only to make a low-ball offer.

"To do what I've done to help this team out, the things I've done for this team and to be told two years ago, 'We'll talk when the year's up; that's how we do things,' and I play by the rules, I do that, and the offer I get is pretty much a non-offer," Faneca said. "What am I to think?"

Faneca also doesn't understand why the Steelers are reluctant to give him more money when it could be expensive to replace him. Guards such as Eric Steinbach, Kris Dielman and Derrick Dockery all got big contracts this offseason, and the Cowboys guaranteed millions to lineman Leonard Davis, previously considered a disappointment in Arizona.

To Faneca, the Steelers' decisions to not re-sign him and to release former Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter, who later signed a big-money deal with Miami, send a poor signal to their players.

"What are the guys in the room to think?" Faneca said, sweat still dripping off him after a two-hour practice. "If they can do it to me and everybody else and let Joey go and do things like that, what does that say to the rest of the guys?"

Faneca's remarks also illustrate the nervousness some veteran Steelers players feel after the club replaced 15-year coach Bill Cowher with the inexperienced Mike Tomlin. Tomlin was a defensive coordinator with Minnesota for only one season before being hired to replace one of the NFL's most successful coaches over the past quarter-century.

Asked his impression about Tomlin, Faneca said, "I've got no impression."

Faneca wanted the Steelers to promote longtime assistant coach Russ Grimm, who has since moved to Arizona with new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, another former Steelers assistant.

"I think everybody's unsure about the direction of this team," All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu said. "It's a first-year coach. ... He's inherited a team. He didn't build it up from 13 years of being in the league, for example. Obviously, it's going to take time as a natural product of being a new coach."

Polamalu, also unsigned past this season, called Faneca's words "troublesome" because they come from a player widely respected by his teammates.

However, unlike Faneca, Polamalu is optimistic the Steelers will make him an acceptable contract offer by September.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Since the Steelers know he's gone after this coming season, would they be motivated to trade him and get a draft pick in return? If they let him play out the final year of his contract, they get nothing. I wonder if CP would pull the trigger knowing he has big shoes to fill with Will Shields retiring. Come on Carl, you need him!!!!

noa
05-11-2007, 09:05 PM
I saw this story on NFL Live. The guy definitely deserves to get paid, but he should realize that this is what the Steelers do. They run the team like a business. They didn't give Hines Ward a fat paycheck so he held out. They cut Joey Porter. The Steelers should definitely re-sign him, but I'm not surprised that they make the negotiating process difficult. They've got to try to save as much money as possible considering the young talent on that team (Polamalu, Rothelisberger, Simmons, Willie Parker, and both their starting CBs are all under 30).

Direckshun
05-11-2007, 09:31 PM
He's 30? He's still got three, four years left in him, minimum.

He's going to be very expensive -- there's going to be a hot bidding war for the Steelers for Feneca, and then Feneca himself's going to be expensive. Should the Chiefs go for it?

I'm not willing to say yet. Depends on one factor:

How much of a contender we are in 2007.

The further we look from SB contention, the more Herm's going to want to stick to the philosophy of youth and building through the draft, making Feneca an unattractive option.

And honestly, this team is old. We want to be a perennial contender, not just thrust all our weight into one Super Bowl run and end there. You do that through youth and the Draft.

Though I wouldn't mind attaining him if we didn't end up paying him like a LT, which is likely what he's going to earn wherever he goes.

Direckshun
05-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Feneca made just shy of $4 million (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamSalary?categoryId=67067) last year. He's easily going to be demanding more.

The Steelers are going to be asking for high draft picks.

Not sure it's worth departing from Herm's philosophy for an OG.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-11-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he is looking for Steve Hutchinson money. He's just as good if not better, and they are around the same age. Hutchinson got a 7 year deal for $49 million from the Vikings a year ago. With the cap going up Faneca will think it's justified. I think Hutchinson got overpaid and the Steelers know it. He'll end up staying in Pittsburg, they will find a happy median. It IS Rooney.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-11-2007, 10:37 PM
They'll kick his ass to the curb, and they'd be justified in doing so. All-Pro guards just aren't worth 7-8 million per.

Tribal Warfare
05-11-2007, 11:43 PM
They'll kick his ass to the curb, and they'd be justified in doing so. All-Pro guards just aren't worth 7-8 million per.

What was Shields contract stipulations when he was playing, because a HOF OG contract details is a great benchmark value point?

Direckshun
05-11-2007, 11:55 PM
What was Shields contract stipulations when he was playing, because a HOF OG contract details is a great benchmark value point?
Capitalism, rising cap space and the nature of free agency suggests that Feneca won't be looking to Shields. He's looking to up the best existing contract.

ChiefsCountry
05-12-2007, 01:37 AM

I would give a guard 7-8 million before I would a running back.

StcChief
05-12-2007, 06:55 AM
He will likely wanna cash in..... With the young bloods, and Weigmann, Waters ....

Give 'em Green, and draft pick 3rd/4th. If a reasonable contract could be made 4-5M

chagrin
05-12-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he is looking for Steve Hutchinson money. He's just as good if not better, and they are around the same age. Hutchinson got a 7 year deal for $49 million from the Vikings a year ago. With the cap going up Faneca will think it's justified. I think Hutchinson got overpaid and the Steelers know it. He'll end up staying in Pittsburg, they will find a happy median. It IS Rooney.

That's well put, I will only say that in my opinion, Hutch is better than Faneca, but I'd like to see us at least throw out some feelers, not because he's just another body but because he's in the top 5-7 dudes at his position and as far as I remember he's not injury prone and he's a grinder, he gets it done.

boogblaster
05-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Like Ive said, we'd trade Green for a good Olineman ...

Skip Towne
05-12-2007, 07:24 AM
How much did Willie Roaf make?

StcChief
05-12-2007, 08:09 AM
How much did Willie Roaf make?
LT money is more than OG money...not sure the difference.

I'd love to have Faneca another good OG vet to replace Shields would be huge.

nychief
05-12-2007, 08:15 AM
he'll go where ever Cowher goes.... carolina?

StcChief
05-12-2007, 08:16 AM
he'll go where ever Cowher goes.... carolina?
that's likely very true...

Mr. Laz
05-12-2007, 09:25 AM
the steelers know that an offensive guard should only be paid so much .... you don't pay them as much as a offensive tackle.

he is also 30 years old .... which means you have to be careful about how much of a bonus you give him.

in other words ..... they know/do the things we don't.

milkman
05-12-2007, 09:31 AM
I'd much rather build through the draft than spend money of free agents.

This team, for the first time in years, is finally building the right way.

Let's stay the course.

chagrin
05-12-2007, 10:03 AM
that's likely very true...

Hey - out of curiosity, why would Carolina fire John Fox? I don't know his contract status but he's done very well with that team, except draft a solid RB, IMO.

I know there were rumors about him and Miami before they hired Cameron, and I heard the Carolina thing before but anyway, what are your thoughts on that?

Mr. Flopnuts
05-12-2007, 02:37 PM
That's well put, I will only say that in my opinion, Hutch is better than Faneca, but I'd like to see us at least throw out some feelers, not because he's just another body but because he's in the top 5-7 dudes at his position and as far as I remember he's not injury prone and he's a grinder, he gets it done.

I agree with you totally. If we can get him for the right price, I'd love to see this guy on our team. He's probably got 5 years left in the tank. I just think that he'll take the Steelers over us for the same amount of money. I don't think we'd offer more than they would. I'd be downright pissed if we gave him $7 mil a year. I wouldn't want ANY OG on this team for that money.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey - out of curiosity, why would Carolina fire John Fox? I don't know his contract status but he's done very well with that team, except draft a solid RB, IMO.

I know there were rumors about him and Miami before they hired Cameron, and I heard the Carolina thing before but anyway, what are your thoughts on that?

I lived in Charlotte for about a year and a half until recently. If they don't make a deep playoff run this year, Delhomme and Fox are both probably going to be out of there. Fans were calling for Jake's head from early on this last season. I think that DeAngelo will turn out to be a pretty good back for them. I expect him to do much better this year.

Mile High Mania
05-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Cowher will come back and coach the Browns...

Mr. Flopnuts
05-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Carolina opens up this year, I think he'll come do it. His family lives in Raleigh. I don't think he ends up in Carolina if he's firm to staying away for 2 years. If he gets the itch and the Panthers call him up at the end of this year, he is pretty close to home for baby girls senior year. I could easily see him coaching the Panthers this time next year.