PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Chiefs Help Arrives

keg in kc
05-12-2007, 04:53 AM
Chiefs’ help arrives (http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/103904.html)

Newcomers, including defensive linemen, here for 3-day rookie camp.

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Posted on Sat, May. 12, 2007

James Reed won’t be carrying any bags or fetching any meals this weekend for the Chiefs’ rookie defensive linemen. There’s only so far a veteran will go.

But Reed, a starting defensive tackle for the Chiefs last year, is happy to have Turk McBride and Tank Tyler around. Their presence could bump Reed from the starting lineup, but it’s worth that to him if he doesn’t have to carry the burden he did last season.

He played about two-thirds of the defensive snaps, a lot for the smallish Reed. The other line starters, ends Jared Allen and Tamba Hali and tackle Ron Edwards, played even more.

“We just didn’t have reliable guys to go in, and so we had to stick it out whether we were tired or not,” said Reed, who joined the Chiefs last year after playing five seasons for the Jets. “That takes its toll. I played more last year than I ever did when I was with New York. I don’t want to have to do that again. It kills your legs. You can’t do the things you want when you’re not fresh.

“You always want to see what the rookies look like. This year, you really want to see what the rookies look like.”

The Chiefs today begin a three-day rookie camp, and the participants will include McBride, their second-round draft pick, and Tyler, their third-round choice. The Chiefs will begin to get a feel whether they have finally built the line depth that has eluded them since Chester McGlockton and Dan Williams were on patrol in 2000.

At tackle, Tyler and free-agent pickup Alfonso Boone will join Reed and Edwards. Jimmy Wilkerson returns along with Allen and Hali at end. The Chiefs believe McBride can play either position.

That would be depth they haven’t had at those positions in years if, of course, they drafted correctly. There’s the possibility they didn’t. The Chiefs repeatedly tried and whiffed in drafting defensive linemen under former coach Dick Vermeil.

But last year, after Herm Edwards arrived as his replacement and vice president Bill Kuharich became a prominent voice in draft preparations, the Chiefs finally got one right when they picked Hali with their first choice.

They are confident McBride and Tyler will follow.

“The more you watch these guys play, the more you feel that they kind of fit the mold of what you’re looking for in defensive linemen,” Edwards said. “They’re kind of similar to Tamba. They play hard, and they have a lot of passion.”

If Edwards is correct, the Chiefs have enough big bodies that they can withstand Allen’s season-opening four-game suspension and, later, an injury or two. Just as important, the starters won’t have to play as many snaps.

“We’ve created the ability to rotate our defensive line,” Edwards said. “Last year, we got into some problems, especially late in games when guys got tired and we couldn’t get the pass rush we wanted. You really don’t want defensive linemen to play more than 50 plays. That’s asking too much on how we’re having them play. They have to be active in the running game, and they have to rush the passer.”

The Chiefs blamed last season’s timid pass rush in part on a lack of fresh bodies. Line fatigue also was a problem against the run.

“There were times when the other team has kept running the ball on us because they knew we were so tired,” Wilkerson said. “At times like that, you’ve just got to man up and hopefully stop them so you can get off the field and get some rest.”

Reed doesn’t want to sound as if he’s complaining about having to play too much, but he does think he will play better by playing fewer snaps.

He said he felt more comfortable re-signing with the Chiefs last month after they told him they planned to fortify the line through the draft.

“You tend to save yourself when you know you can’t come out of the game,” he said. “If you go out there in the first half and lay it all on the line, you’re not going to have anything left in the second half. Now we’ll be able to go all out on every play.”

Tribal Warfare
05-12-2007, 05:07 AM
We'll have to wait and see if Herm can go 2 for 2 concerning the quality of his drafts on the defense

StcChief
05-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Yeah but my confidence in his draft ability is way more than DV.... with Bill Kuharich, Tim Krumrie, Gun's input
picking D players is much better than DV with Grob.

His picks while with in NYJ. and earlier with Chiefs in 90s.... give me confidence.

Alot of anti-Herm sentiment is his offensive style. That may change with right players. Drafting Bowe could be the O spark we need.
Solari's better not have sophmore blues.

keg in kc
05-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Yeah but my confidence in his draft ability is way more than DV.... with Bill Kuharich, Tim Krumrie, Gun's input
picking D players is much better than DV with Grob.I'm good with all of that but Gun. His history really isn't pretty when it comes to the draft.

This does appear to be Herm's strength, however.

StcChief
05-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Anybody know a TRUE Gun's pick that was total bust.

Braincase
05-12-2007, 07:08 AM

Sylvester Morris.

boogblaster
05-12-2007, 07:08 AM
The TANK will roll....

milkman
05-12-2007, 07:13 AM

Junior Siavii
William Bartee

StcChief
05-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Were these guys total Gun 'gotta have' picks.....or desperation attempts. for King Carl to cheap out on.

keg in kc
05-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Gun talked about Siavii like he was a long-lost bastard son he'd just found.

Mike Cloud was a bust, gun 2nd rounder.
Billy Bartee was a bust, gun 2nd rounder
While he was a great special teamer, Gary Stills was a bust, as a gun 3rd round LB.
Larry Atkins was a bust, gun 3rd rounder.

Those are just his picks as a HC...

Ralphy Boy
05-12-2007, 07:27 AM
I'm sick to death of everyone blaming DV, on the bad draft choices WE made, regarding defense during his tenure. They make it sound as if Dick hand selected everyone of them. The guy gave us a lot of good memories and showed us a lot more excitement than we'd seen in years. He was never a defensive coach and Carl knew this better than anyone. Blaming him now, for every bad defensive player drafted is ridiculous.

For that matter was Grob even here when we drafted Siavii? Who was responsible for us drafting Keyaron Fox? What about Jared Allen? They were all drafted in 2004, under Gunthers watch.

Who was responsible for Kawika Mitchell and Jimmy Wilkerson? Likely the same guy that was responsible for us drafting Julian Battle. Grob.

You could argue that Gun hit on Fox & Allen but missed on Siavii and give him a 2 out of 3 rating for 2004. Then look at 2003 with Mitchell & Wilkerson and give Grob a 2 out of 5 rating for drafting Battle, Montique Sharp, & Willie Pile. Then look at 2005 and give Gun a 1 out of 4 rating for getting DJ coupled with Grigsby (who's now a fullback)Hodge and Khari Long.
What about Bartee? It's not as if Gun's selections have historically been much better than Grob's were.
Sure Sims ended up sucking ass, but it's not as if we were the only team that made the mistake of thinking he was 1st round worthy. Regarding Freeman, the guy was a beast his rookie year and anyone with any integrity will remember that. You don't have any way of knowing how a guy, with a little bit of money in his pocket, will do when coming back from injury, just take a look at Charles Rogers. But in my book he wasn't any worse a draft pick than Sly Mo was.

keg in kc
05-12-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm sick to death of everyone blaming DV, on the bad draft choices WE made, regarding defense during his tenure. They make it sound as if Dick hand selected everyone of them. The guy gave us a lot of good memories and showed us a lot more excitement than we'd seen in years. He was never a defensive coach and Carl knew this better than anyone. Blaming him now, for every bad defensive player drafted is ridiculous.Oh, we can talk about his offensive busts, if you want, as well. Whichever side of the ball, we drafted horribly while DV was here.

milkman
05-12-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm sick to death of everyone blaming DV, on the bad draft choices WE made, regarding defense during his tenure. They make it sound as if Dick hand selected everyone of them. The guy gave us a lot of good memories and showed us a lot more excitement than we'd seen in years. He was never a defensive coach and Carl knew this better than anyone. Blaming him now, for every bad defensive player drafted is ridiculous.

For that matter was Grob even here when we drafted Siavii? Who was responsible for us drafting Keyaron Fox? What about Jared Allen? They were all drafted in 2004, under Gunthers watch.

Who was responsible for Kawika Mitchell and Jimmy Wilkerson? Likely the same guy that was responsible for us drafting Julian Battle. Grob.

You could argue that Gun hit on Fox & Allen but missed on Siavii and give him a 2 out of 3 rating for 2004. Then look at 2003 with Mitchell & Wilkerson and give Grob a 2 out of 5 rating for drafting Battle, Montique Sharp, & Willie Pile. Then look at 2005 and give Gun a 1 out of 4 rating for getting DJ coupled with Grigsby (who's now a fullback)Hodge and Khari Long.
What about Bartee? It's not as if Gun's selections have historically been much better than Grob's were.
Sure Sims ended up sucking ass, but it's not as if we were the only team that made the mistake of thinking he was 1st round worthy. Regarding Freeman, the guy was a beast his rookie year and anyone with any integrity will remember that. You don't have any way of knowing how a guy, with a little bit of money in his pocket, will do when coming back from injury, just take a look at Charles Rogers. But in my book he wasn't any worse a draft pick than Sly Mo was.

WTH are you talking about?

chop
05-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Interesting...it tells you what Reed thought of Sims and Hicks. It isn't as if the Chiefs added two additional lineman they just replaced two. The only way Reed thinks he will get less playing time is if the guys coming in are better than the ones going out. So without actually saying it Reed basically said Hicks and Sims stunk.

StcChief
05-12-2007, 07:43 AM
We know Sims/Hicks can't hack it now. (thanks Reed for stating the obvious now they are gone)

Hicks had 1 good year. Sims bust really from day one.... #6 overall in draft.

Hopefully the whining will end and HE and co. will have
good drafts (better than previous coaches).

They will miss occasionaly or we will be in SB regularly in a few years. (Wishful thinking)

Ugly Duck
05-12-2007, 07:54 AM
The Chiefs hate America and don't support the troops.

keg in kc
05-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Don't forget, we're misogynists, too.

Iowanian
05-12-2007, 08:17 AM
The Raiders Molest children and engage in marital acts of the rectum with persons of their direct genetic code contribution.

Sure-Oz
05-12-2007, 08:18 AM

Dick gave us great non playoff winning seasons, and continued our latest tradition, and totally ignored a defense that had one of the best offenses in recent history, screw dick.

StcChief
05-12-2007, 08:19 AM
The Chiefs hate America and don't support the troops.
right here in the heart of America (to you left coasters aka Flyover land).....whatever. :rolleyes:

Fire Me Boy!
05-12-2007, 08:40 AM
It should also be pointed out that at the time of our drafting William Bartee, multiple GMs said we got the steal of the draft and the best CB of the draft (even though he was a safety out of college).

nomad
05-12-2007, 09:06 AM
The change from Stiles to Kuharich in how the team prepares and drafts may be a bigger influence than the DV vs. Herm and Grob vs. Gunt aspect that everyone continues to debate.

keg in kc
05-12-2007, 09:11 AM
The change from Stiles to Kuharich in how the team prepares and drafts may be a bigger influence than the DV vs. Herm and Grob vs. Gunt aspect that everyone continues to debate.I think the greatest difference may be that Edwards actually listens to his scouts, whereas under Vermeil, we seemed to pick guys on day 1 that were pets of either his OC or DC. You obviously need the input of the coordinators, but they shouldn't be part of the hierarchy making picks. It's not their job, and they simply don't have the time to dedicate to the scouting process.

That's how we ended up falling in love with players at the Senior Bowl or the Combine, rather than making picks based on the opinions of guys on the scouting staff who've studied these players for years.

Coogs
05-12-2007, 09:15 AM

A few have already been mentioned. And there is Guns famous "Shopping List" from the FA market a couple of years ago. That whole thing has been a disaster... short of Surtain. And he has not exactly been the second comming of Champ Bailey, which I was kind of expecting given the hype of that trade.

Mr. Laz
05-12-2007, 09:16 AM
picking D players is much better than DV with Grob.

His picks while with in NYJ. and earlier with Chiefs in 90s.... give me confidence.

Alot of anti-Herm sentiment is his offensive style. That may change with right players. Drafting Bowe could be the O spark we need.
Solari's better not have sophmore blues.
agreed when it comes to DEFENSIVE players.

we'll see about offense

milkman
05-12-2007, 09:17 AM
I think the greatest difference may be that Edwards actually listens to his scouts, whereas under Vermeil, we seemed to pick guys on day 1 that were pets of either his OC or DC. You obviously need the input of the coordinators, but they shouldn't be part of the hierarchy making picks. It's not their job, and they simply don't have the time to dedicate to the scouting process.

That's how we ended up falling in love with players at the Senior Bowl or the Combine, rather than making picks based on the opinions of guys on the scouting staff who've studied these players for years.

I think you also have to look at the philosophical change in the drafting process.

In the past, the Chiefs have drafted the "workout warriors", rather than guys that simply produced on the field at the college level.

That is something the Jets did while Herman ****ing Edwards was there, so that would suggest that he's responsible, as much as anyone, for that change.

the Talking Can
05-12-2007, 10:43 AM
“We just didn’t have reliable guys to go in, and so we had to stick it out whether we were tired or not,” said Reed, who joined the Chiefs last year after playing five seasons for the Jets."

That's a teamate telling the truth about Hicks and Sims...all you need to know about what dead weight they were.

Carl getting a draft pick for Sims is incredible.

THANK GOD THEY ARE GONE, I LOVE THE FIRST DAY OF OUR DRAFT LIKE NONE OTHER.

the Talking Can
05-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Interesting...it tells you what Reed thought of Sims and Hicks. It isn't as if the Chiefs added two additional lineman they just replaced two. The only way Reed thinks he will get less playing time is if the guys coming in are better than the ones going out. So without actually saying it Reed basically said Hicks and Sims stunk.

ha, you beat me to it...

the truth hurts....so good

Chiefs Pantalones
05-12-2007, 10:46 AM
This is why Reed is nobody and won't ever be a pro bowler.

I'm tired, WHHAAAAA!!! CRYYYY!!! It's football, don't you enjoy it? Try your hardest every single play, tired or not, if you're good, you'll make some plays.

I hope he gets demoted to backup where he belongs. Hopefully the rookies stand out.

milkman
05-12-2007, 10:51 AM

I'm tired, WHHAAAAA!!! CRYYYY!!! It's football, don't you enjoy it? Try your hardest every single play, tired or not, if you're good, you'll make some plays.

I hope he gets demoted to backup where he belongs. Hopefully the rookies stand out.

He does need to be a back up.

However his point is solid.
These players take a beating, and the D-Line needs depth in order to rotate guys in and out so that they remain fresh.

If the starters have to play nearly every snap, they are going to wear down and become ineffective late in games.

the Talking Can
05-12-2007, 10:56 AM

have you been spending time at warpaint?

Chiefs Pantalones
05-12-2007, 10:58 AM
He does need to be a back up.

However his point is solid.
These players take a beating, and the D-Line needs depth in order to rotate guys in and out so that they remain fresh.

If the starters have to play nearly every snap, they are going to wear down and become ineffective late in games.

Oh I agree, he's just coming off as a whiner, IMO. You don't hear star players do this.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-12-2007, 11:07 AM
have you been spending time at warpaint?

No.

I realize Dlineman rotate, and you get tired, but why whine about it? Even if you're teammates with Sims, you still don't call them out, IMO. Just do your job, and don't complain (I'm starting to sound like Herm Edwards HELP!!!).

milkman
05-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Oh I agree, he's just coming off as a whiner, IMO. You don't hear star players do this.

I didn't see it as whining.

Micjones
05-12-2007, 11:22 AM
While I understand where Reed is coming from I think these young guys are going to sniff him out and with a little elbow grease... They'll bypass him on the depth chart.

You just can't complain about the amount of playing time you receive without the guy behind you (who wants to take your spot) smelling blood on you.

They're going to see an opportunity now...
And you'll get your wish.

You'll only be a part-time player...
And eventually, find yourself on the bubble.

keg in kc
05-12-2007, 11:23 AM
There's a difference between complaining and making a frank statment about how bad the situation is. Or, rather, was.

Micjones
05-12-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm not opposed to complaint where it's warranted.

That's a different argument though.

My point is that he's publicly voiced disdain with the amount of playing time he received last season. His solution? A rotation of more talented players...

That only fuels the fire inside a young defensive lineman looking to take your spot. And they will...
Because they'd give their right arm to be in that position.

The NFL's the height of professional football.
It's hard here and there... Tough shit.

Do your job.

Mecca
05-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Ron Edwards is far closer to the bubble than Reed is.........Edwards is far less productive and far more injury prone.

Micjones
05-12-2007, 11:43 AM
I think the coaching staff would disagree.

Edwards was their first commitment this off-season when it came time to address the DT spot.

I believe the staff would tell you he's their best Defensive Tackle at this point.

Reed was the last FA move the Chiefs made at that spot.
Edwards was quickly resigned.

That doesn't tell you anything?

Sure-Oz
05-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Reed and Edwards are average at best and need to be replaced soon. hopefully the rookies will put some hurtin' on finally.

Micjones
05-12-2007, 11:47 AM
The coaching staff has made that perfectly clear.

I expect to see another young DT drafted next year if Wilkerson isn't productive...

Mecca
05-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Edwards was in Buffalo with Krumrie that's really the only reason I think that move was even made........

If history holds true he'll miss about 12 games this year...

DaneMcCloud
05-12-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm not opposed to complaint where it's warranted.

That's a different argument though.

My point is that he's publicly voiced disdain with the amount of playing time he received last season. His solution? A rotation of more talented players...

That only fuels the fire inside a young defensive lineman looking to take your spot. And they will...
Because they'd give their right arm to be in that position.

The NFL's the height of professional football.
It's hard here and there... Tough shit.

Do your job.

I thoroughly disagree with EVERYTHING in this statement.

He wasn't signed to be a starter - he was signed to be a backup, rotational player and his contract supports that position. He wasn't given some huge contract and signing bonus. He was signed to be support player.

He's a 320 pound defensive tackle playing more snaps than his body could allow. So instead of "giving it all he's got" on every single play, he's saying that since he's not conditioned to playing that many snaps, he had to view each game as a marathon, not a sprint. Now that they've got younger (and hopefully more talented players) to support that position, they're ALL able to effectively "go all out" for each play.

And if your "theory" that That only fuels the fire inside a young defensive lineman looking to take your spot. And they will... , is so accurate, what happened to Siavii, Sims, Downing and Hall?

rad
05-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Reed weighs about 290........he's a more of a "finesse" DT. And he's the best DT on our roster right now.

Micjones
05-12-2007, 02:51 PM
He wasn't signed to be a starter - he was signed to be a backup, rotational player and his contract supports that position. He wasn't given some huge contract and signing bonus. He was signed to be support player.

I'm sorry, but "cry me a river".

You're a professional football player.
There are easily a dozen DT's who've taken the trip to River Falls who would kill to be in Reed's spot.

Larry Johnson didn't exactly sign up for 400+ carries last season either, but he took his lumps like a professional athlete should.

So instead of "giving it all he's got" on every single play, he's saying that since he's not conditioned to playing that many snaps, he had to view each game as a marathon, not a sprint. Now that they've got younger (and hopefully more talented players) to support that position, they're ALL able to effectively "go all out" for each play.

And God knows how many ballcarriers sprung a big run on one of the plays he conveniently took off.

And if your "theory" that That only fuels the fire inside a young defensive lineman looking to take your spot. And they will... , is so accurate, what happened to Siavii, Sims, Downing and Hall?

This is a new day.
There are new defensive line coaches.
There are newer young talents poised to make their mark.

If you can't do it... Step out of the way and allow someone who can.

DaneMcCloud
05-12-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm sorry, but "cry me a river".

You're a professional football player.
There are easily a dozen DT's who've taken the trip to River Falls who would kill to be in Reed's spot.

Really??? Where are they? Haven't the Chiefs brought in every freakin' defensive tackle possible in the past 6 years? 6th choice overall, 2nd rounders, 3rd rounders, 7th rounds and free agents? Why aren't "killing" to be in Reed's spot?

Larry Johnson didn't exactly sign up for 400+ carries last season either, but he took his lumps like a professional athlete should.

Are you like 14 or something? A running back isn't a defensive tackle! You try running around and chasing a QB or running back for 30 snaps at game, espeically at 300+ pounds. These guys aren't running backs, who "run away" from people. They aren't offensive lineman who "push" down the field (hence a good running offense wearing out a defense - not the other way around). They have to fight upfield every stinkin' play. It is NOT the same as a running back.

Yeah, and LJ's stated contract demands (20 million dollar bonus) have NOTHING to do with his 400 carries, right?

And God knows how many ballcarriers sprung a big run on one of the plays he conveniently took off.

Pure conjecture on your part. But don't you think that's WHY the Chiefs drafted and signed more defensive line help? So there players wouldn't HAVE to take plays off because of exhaustion?

This is a new day.
There are new defensive line coaches.
There are newer young talents poised to make their mark.

If you can't do it... Step out of the way and allow someone who can.

This is a retarded statement. Only the front office can provided players. If the front office provides untalented players, there's only so much a coaching staff can do. And that's EXACTLY what's happened with the Chiefs defense for the past decade. Poor talent acquisition.

You can't polish a turd. Even a Terdell.

blueballs
05-12-2007, 03:17 PM
if there is nothing to bitch about
make shit up that isn't there

Direckshun
05-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Reed will start alongside Tank Tyler.

Calling it.

Fire Me Boy!
05-12-2007, 03:40 PM
if there is nothing to bitch about
make shit up that isn't there
I think you should start writing your posts in iambic pentameter.

milkman
05-12-2007, 03:45 PM
The coaching staff has made that perfectly clear.

I expect to see another young DT drafted next year if Wilkerson isn't productive...

Wilkerson, like Browning before him, should never have been used at DT.

They should have had him maintain his playing weight at about 280 and left out at DE.

Another case where Gunt misused a player out of position.

penchief
05-12-2007, 05:09 PM

Junior Siavii. He was in love with the guy. Couldn't believe how big he was.

penchief
05-12-2007, 05:15 PM
The change from Stiles to Kuharich in how the team prepares and drafts may be a bigger influence than the DV vs. Herm and Grob vs. Gunt aspect that everyone continues to debate.

I disagree. I think it's a combination of both. I think Kuharich is definitley on top of things when it comes to scouting but his strength seems to be the logistics. But I also believe that Edwards has an eye for football players. And I like that a lot. I also like that he knows how to coach them up.

petegz28
05-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Sylvester Morris.

that was offense fool

milkman
05-12-2007, 05:28 PM
that was offense fool

To be fair, StcChief didn't specifically ask for defensive busts, and Sly was his pick when he (Gunt) was HC.

petegz28
05-12-2007, 05:29 PM
To be fair, StcChief didn't specifically ask for defensive busts, and Sly was his pick when he (Gunt) was HC.

:hmmm:

:cuss:

Ugly Duck
05-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Reed weighs about 290........he's a more of a "finesse" DT.

290 is a finesse DT? Heck - thats 5 lbs heavier than Warren Sapp....

Pitt Gorilla
05-12-2007, 06:28 PM

I hope he gets demoted to backup where he belongs. Hopefully the rookies stand out.Reed is telling it like it is. If you're on the field all day, you simply won't have the ability to play all out all the time. If you do, your "all out" by the end of the game will be hunched over with your hands on your hips getting blown out of the hole.

blueballs
05-12-2007, 06:30 PM
blown out of the hole
dream a little dream

Fire Me Boy!
05-12-2007, 06:31 PM
blown out of the hole
dream a little dream
You're halfway there on iambic pentameter. That post was 5 and 5.

Direckshun
05-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Reed was the last FA move the Chiefs made at that spot.
Edwards was quickly resigned.

That doesn't tell you anything?
Reed was a much hotter commodity in the FA market and he wanted to see what other teams offered?