PDA

View Full Version : Royals On Pace For 48 Win Season

petegz28
05-12-2007, 08:48 PM
At this rate the Royals are on pace to only win 48 games this season. Boy was I oh so wrong about this team this year.

We have yet to win more than 2 games in a row and have only done that twice.

Logical
05-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Ain't small market baseball wonderful?

JBucc
05-12-2007, 08:54 PM
We'll pick it up eventually. Before you know it we'll be on pace for 50 wins!

KcMizzou
05-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Ain't small market baseball wonderful?Like a sharp stick in the eye.

Marlboro_Chief
05-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Ain't small market baseball wonderful?

Tell that to the fans in Milwaukee.

petegz28
05-12-2007, 08:58 PM
If I were Moore...I would tell Buddy Bell and our hitting coach to go take a hike, I'd send Gordon down, move German to 3rd, hire Frank White and another hitting coach who does know how to coach.

Frazod
05-12-2007, 09:07 PM

The Brewers have a new owner who actually wants to win. He's assembled a scrappy and competitive team, has a beautiful new stadium and the entire state of Wisconsin as a fanbase. Granted, it's only May, but they are the ONLY team in the NL Central (including the bumbling defending champs :grr: ) that doesn't suck. They could clinch the division by August at this rate.

Demonpenz
05-12-2007, 10:40 PM
our lineup is pretty good but our bullpen is brutal. I am sorry emil brown should never be a front line player I love the royals anyway

chubychecker
05-12-2007, 10:49 PM
our lineup is pretty good but our bullpen is brutal. I am sorry emil brown should never be a front line player I love the royals anyway

Our lineup is ok based upon potential but they just aren't hitting especially with runners in scoring position. The bullpen has been much better lately. If Greinke stays and when we get healthy it will be a huge improvement. We need to score more than 3-4 runs a game though.

acesn8s
05-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Just 74 losses to go before the Royals hit 100.............again. :(

Fruit Ninja
05-13-2007, 01:49 AM
my team has a over 100 miillion budget, or around there, but i seriously want a freaking salary cap. I cant stand the Yankee's and the Red Sox shit, Even some kind of luxury tax like the NBA would be nice.

acesn8s
05-13-2007, 01:51 AM
my team has a over 100 miillion budget, or around there, but i seriously want a freaking salary cap. I cant stand the Yankee's and the Red Sox shit, Even some kind of luxury tax like the NBA would be nice.they have a tax but it is a joke

Fruit Ninja
05-13-2007, 03:27 AM
IT has to be a joke if 1 team pays 54 million dollars for the rights to "talk" to a player. lol

StcChief
05-13-2007, 09:47 AM
You got 50 wins come give it a go.

Deberg_1990
05-13-2007, 09:50 AM
If Moore doesnt get this ship steered in the right direction by next year. (At least a .500 record)

All hope will be lost for this franchise....it will never be any good...

PHOG
05-13-2007, 09:50 AM
:shake:

Just... depressing.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-13-2007, 09:52 AM
and Minnesota... and Oakland... and St. Louis...

Cochise
05-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I see everyone has jumped off the 'let the young players mature on the field' bandwagon... right on schedule

Messier
05-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Small market doesn't cut it as an excuse. This is bad ownership and bad management. The Royals should at least lucked into a playoff appearance in the last twenty years. Twenty Years!

Delano
05-13-2007, 10:32 AM
I see everyone has jumped off the 'let the young players mature on the field' bandwagon... right on schedule

I predict the same reaction to the Chiefs youth movement and the possible bad season.

CoMoChief
05-13-2007, 11:11 AM
The Brewers have a new owner who actually wants to win. He's assembled a scrappy and competitive team, has a beautiful new stadium and the entire state of Wisconsin as a fanbase. Granted, it's only May, but they are the ONLY team in the NL Central (including the bumbling defending champs :grr: ) that doesn't suck. They could clinch the division by August at this rate.

Most fans in the general area are Tigers, Twins, and Cubs fans.

Bud Selig isn't the owner of the Brewers anymore?

CoMoChief
05-13-2007, 11:12 AM
and Minnesota... and Oakland... and St. Louis...

I wouldn'y consider STL a small market team. They have one of the highest payrolls in baseball. Their fanbase is much more than just in STL.

OnTheWarpath58
05-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Bud Selig isn't the owner of the Brewers anymore?

I believe his daughter Wendy is...

OnTheWarpath58
05-13-2007, 11:20 AM
I wouldn'y consider STL a small market team. They have one of the highest payrolls in baseball. Their fanbase is much more than just in STL.

Just because they spend doesn't make them a big market.

IIRC, STL falls somewhere in the mid 20's in TV market size, and KC falls right at 30.

Frazod
05-13-2007, 11:57 AM
I believe his daughter Wendy is...
No. I can't remember the guy's name, but all the Selig's are OUT.

EDIT - his name is Mark Attanasio.

CoMoChief
05-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Just because they spend doesn't make them a big market.

IIRC, STL falls somewhere in the mid 20's in TV market size, and KC falls right at 30.

Ok so they still spend so what does being a small market team have anything to do with it. The simple common denominator is the fact that they teams that spend $$$ win more than the teams that don't.

Stewie
05-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Why Bell pulled Greinke last night is beyond me. I knew the minute he did that the game was over.

gblowfish
05-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Like a sharp stick in the eye.
Royals Baseball: You Won't Believe Your Eyes!

PinkFloyd
05-13-2007, 12:30 PM

Damn skippy Cochise... You hit it on the head... Dayton Moore want's to get younger and finally give this team has a "base" to start on... Moore IS doing the right thing here by allowing the young kid's to come in here and start from the get-go...

I'm alllllll for 1-3 years of being horrible, cause here in about 2-3 years your going to see a team that will not lose 100 games and year... There will be more years of 70-80 and even 90 wins a season...

This team is STOKED with young talent, and when Emil Brown become's a cancer, Joey Cathwright will be coming up and he and Pena will rule the league in double's and triple's... Cathwright just need's to learn to hit...

Gordon ??? He will someday be an All-Star... It just take's time... He's one of those that's to damn good to hit minor league ball, but will struggle with the major's... There's no sense on sending him back down to beat up on the minor's and then just come back up to struggle... Leave his butt in KC --- he will be just fine...

It does piss me off that we will have guy's on 2nd or 3rd with no out's and not score... It just seem's to happen when the youngster's are up to bat... I've been a Royal's fan all my life, and it's not going to change... You all better stay on this bandwagon, cause within the next few short year's, this wagon is going to be flying...

I'm seeing it --- I just hope you all are... We just need a Whitey Herzog or Dick Howser to come along... Because we're young -- I'll give Bell 1-2 more year's... After that and we still suck --- I'd say bye-bye...

Just remember, the Royal's are like a new born baby just waiting to get alittle older...

duncan_idaho
05-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Don't forget this team had one of the toughest, if not THE toughest, first-month schedules in the big leagues. Playing in the AL Central doesn't help, either.

Whether this team wins 70 games or 55 games, it's still going to finish last in the division. Might as well put the kids on the field and let them get some experience.

Fruit Ninja
05-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Hasnt the Royals always had good young players only to lose them when they start comming around becuase they cannot afford to keep them? So what difference does it make?

wilas101
05-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Hasnt the Royals always had good young players only to lose them when they start comming around becuase they cannot afford to keep them? So what difference does it make?

I believe the hope is that Moore will change that trend. They were more active in free agency this year than in recent years and most people I know are hopeful that marks an attitude change in management.

Only time will tell but I'm with the camp that says let's suffer for now if it means brighter days in the next few years.

duncan_idaho
05-13-2007, 01:11 PM

Difference? Here are several differences:

1) This time, the Royals have a GM who is committed to building an outstanding farm system that can be counted on to replenish the team as players mature and reach free-agent status. (This is the business model of the Twins that has been proven successful). That was not the case in the late 90s when Damon/Sweeney/Beltran were coming up.

2) The owner, thanks to the GM, is now committed to hanging on to enough of the key pieces (Gordon, Butler, Hochevar?) to keep the team competitive as the young players come up and adjust. Again, what the Twins have done: Locking up a few key players and replacing the rest from the farm system.

3) The economic landscape has also changed. Not only is Glass more willing to spend for long-term benefits (see: Meche, Gil), but the Royals also are getting more money for revenue sharing. So Glass isn't faced with the prospect of losing tens of millions of dollars every year if he commits long-term to a handful of players.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Dayton Moore is more valuable than any player this team could have signed or developed, because he understands what the Royals have to do to be a successful franchise -- and he has a plan to do it. You also won't see him changing approaches every 2-3 years, either (see: Baird, Allard).

PinkFloyd
05-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Difference? Here are several differences:

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Dayton Moore is more valuable than any player this team could have signed or developed, because he understands what the Royals have to do to be a successful franchise -- and he has a plan to do it. You also won't see him changing approaches every 2-3 years, either (see: Baird, Allard).

Bingo... And Moore worked under the best "true" boss in baseball... Royal's former Mr. John Shurholz(sp).......

Fruit Ninja
05-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Ok, you said they have a GM thats committed, but is the Owner committed to spend money? you have to spend money if you wanna compete. Your going to have to have about 3-4 big big contracts out there. a few hitters and a few starting pitchers. GM may be Theo Epstien, but if he doesnt have the $$$ to play with, Then you wont get anywhere.

Mecca
05-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Tony Pena looks no better than Berroa to me......Joey Gathright is likely a 4th OF because well he can't hit.

You can say get young and people are not liking it......rookie struggles are 1 thing, Alex Gordon looks awful. Batting 150 and striking out all the time are alot more than just rookie struggles.

duncan_idaho
05-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Ok, you said they have a GM thats committed, but is the Owner committed to spend money? you have to spend money if you wanna compete. Your going to have to have about 3-4 big big contracts out there. a few hitters and a few starting pitchers. GM may be Theo Epstien, but if he doesnt have the $$$ to play with, Then you wont get anywhere.

Did you miss the part of my post where I talked about that?

2) The owner, thanks to the GM, is now committed to hanging on to enough of the key pieces (Gordon, Butler, Hochevar?) to keep the team competitive as the young players come up and adjust. Again, what the Twins have done: Locking up a few key players and replacing the rest from the farm system.

You don't spend $55 million on a guy like Gil Meche (whom Dayton Moore thought had the potential to become a frontline starter with a location change - so far, all indications are Dayton was correct) if you aren't willing to lock up someone like Gordon or Butler in a few years. It's not necessary to sign a bunch of big free agents to win. Just look at the Twins. All you have to do is correctly identify and lock up your key guys, and have a farm system that cranks out a key guy every 2-3 years and plenty of solid guys. Moore is building that.

Pitt Gorilla
05-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Moore has made good moves that have paid immediate dividends and others that are yet to pay off. De La Rosa was obtained for Tony Graf. That just doesn't seem fair. Gil Meche has an ERA of 2.15. Gload has been a great utility player with a decent bat. Pena's offense stinks, but his glove has been fairly solid.

Down the road, we will see Tyler Lumsden who could be a very solid starter. Moore dealt an inconsistent reliever with a crazy delivery and a strong arm for a future starter with great potential.

It's hard not to like the team he is putting together, even if the wins won't happen until next year at the earliest. Baird got us a lot of offensive talent, but Moore is building the program for the long haul.

tk13
05-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Money is not the issue as it was a few years back. We have a 67 million dollar payroll, largest the Royals have ever had by far, according to Dayton we plan to be in the top 10 in latin american spending, we're definitely not going cheap on draft picks anymore. We're spending plenty of money, we're not the Yankees or anything but we're spending near the same amount, or more money, than teams like Oakland, Minnesota, Cleveland...that are winners. We aren't down there in the Florida/Pittsburgh/Tampa type bracket like we used to be.

Now that doesn't mean we're going to be able to re-sign everybody we develop, as Dayton has said even the Braves couldn't always do that. But money is no longer the issue, it's using that money wisely that's the key.

keg in kc
05-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Regarding Gordon, if you watch the games instead of the boxscore, you'll see he's been fouling a ton of pitches off, a lot of them straight back. What that generally means is that a guy is right on the pitch timing-wise, but has the face of the bat just a fraction off. My guess is he's about to go on a tear. Right when everybody is saying "send him down".

OOh, and he just misses a 3-run homer, foul.

Big inning for the Royals.

keg in kc
05-13-2007, 02:39 PM
And Sweeney with his typical meaningless RBI baseknock. Thank goodness the lead's big enough that he can avoid his regular tight game late-inning infield fly.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Because they have ownership that will spend. The population of St. Louis was smaller than that of KC last I looked.

DaneMcCloud
05-13-2007, 03:30 PM
At this rate the Royals are on pace to only win 48 games this season. Boy was I oh so wrong about this team this year.

We have yet to win more than 2 games in a row and have only done that twice.

I could have told you this before the season even started. As a matter of fact, I think I did. In one of your millions of Royals-related threads, I said the Royals would be lucky to win 50 games. I still stick by that number.

Messier
05-13-2007, 03:36 PM
I think it's a little sad to have to cheer for '09. Seeing as nothing is a sure thing. I'd think it more likely the Royals are bad in '09 than good, based on past history.

tk13
05-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Because they have ownership that will spend. The population of St. Louis was smaller than that of KC last I looked.
Their metro population is bigger. That said, they've really cut back hardcore on the spending. Look at this offseason, they let their entire pitching staff walk, and they haven't been active in free agency the last few years. Anymore they just sign guys off the scrap heap like Weaver, Preston Wilson, Kip Wells. They do keep their own guys, although with Edmonds and Rolen they might be overpaying them now, and Carpenter's new contract is on the DL.

Nzoner
05-13-2007, 03:41 PM
On the topic of baseball the red Sox scored 6 in the bottom of the 9th to win 6-5,man what it must be like to be a sports fan in that area. :(

tk13
05-13-2007, 03:42 PM
As a matter of fact, I've seen some complaining on Cards boards about their owners being cheap. There was an SI article about it the other day.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/05/10/thursday.scoop/index.html

Fruit Ninja
05-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Did you miss the part of my post where I talked about that?

Yes i did, I am not trying to read every post on this thread. You can post on a thread then and hour later it has 10 more pages added to it. lol

duncan_idaho
05-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Yes i did, I am not trying to read every post on this thread. You can post on a thread then and hour later it has 10 more pages added to it. lol

No offense intended... I thought you had read it and were responding to it.

Delano
05-13-2007, 04:06 PM
I think it's a little sad to have to cheer for '09. Seeing as nothing is a sure thing. I'd think it more likely the Royals are bad in '09 than good, based on past history.

Meh, I went through a lot of bad seasons in the 90's as a Twins fans while the farm system was being rebuilt after the title runs of 87 and 91.

Trust me, if your GM is good, it is worth the wait.

Fruit Ninja
05-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Still need money if you have a good GM. While i think Billy Beene is a great gm, what exactly has it won the A's lately? not a damn thing. Small ball has a smalll chance to work. Problem is once you finally get that break out year, you cannot afford to keep the team and its all over faster then it was built and your back to step 1.

duncan_idaho
05-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Still need money if you have a good GM. While i think Billy Beene is a great gm, what exactly has it won the A's lately? not a damn thing. Small ball has a smalll chance to work. Problem is once you finally get that break out year, you cannot afford to keep the team and its all over faster then it was built and your back to step 1.

Tons of money hasn't done much for the Angels or Yankees, either. It's all a crapshoot once you get to the playoffs.

The key is being consistently good and being in the mix every year. You do that enough, and your number is going to come up eventually.

You can be consistently good by spending an assload of money (see: Yankees, Red Sox, Angels) or you can be consistently good by developing players and hanging on to the key ones(see: Twins, A's). There's no one way to do it.

Demonpenz
05-13-2007, 04:25 PM

for the record the A's don't play small ball. they are last in steals, hit and run, and bunts every year. they play for the 3 run homerun and take alot of pitches

Messier
05-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Meh, I went through a lot of bad seasons in the 90's as a Twins fans while the farm system was being rebuilt after the title runs of 87 and 91.

Trust me, if your GM is good, it is worth the wait.

Yeah but the Royals aren't coming off any title runs. This isn't a rebuilding mode. There is nothing to rebuild.

ChiefsCountry
05-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Reason the Cardinals ownership cant spend any money right now is they have most of their cash tied up in building the new stadium. I have tried to explain that to Cardinals fans but they wont listen.

Cochise
05-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Now that the "Fire Bell" mouthbreathing has begun, you have to wonder, if Bell were fired today, what would they complain about then?

I mean, the team would still suck terribly. Probably will for another year at lest. Then whose head will they want on the pike. Dayton Moore?

petegz28
05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Now that the "Fire Bell" mouthbreathing has begun, you have to wonder, if Bell were fired today, what would they complain about then?

I mean, the team would still suck terribly. Probably will for another year at lest. Then whose head will they want on the pike. Dayton Moore?

Here is the problem I see with Bell and as you have seen on this board until a week ago or so I was defending him. Hell I bought season tickets this year ok?

Now, I am sick of him not coaching this team. Our fundamentals suck, our attitude suck and all he can do he say people are struggling or forget about it.

After our 1-0 loss to the Twins when the Twins walked 10 of us and we could not score it finally hit me..."Bell sucks as a coach". He never has this team ready to play if you ask me.

If we want a a younger team we have to have a manager who can coach not just put together a lineup.

Bell has never won at anything. And that shows in our team. He is used to losing and he is getting our players used to it as well.

When you can't bunt, hit, field, thrown, run or pitch fundamentaly sound it is the coaches fault.

These guys would never make a little league team when I was growing up with their lack of fundamentals.

Makes one wonder WTF we practice in practice?

SnakeXJones
05-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Here is the problem I see with Bell and as you have seen on this board until a week ago or so I was defending him. Hell I bought season tickets this year ok?

Now, I am sick of him not coaching this team. Our fundamentals suck, our attitude suck and all he can do he say people are struggling or forget about it.

After our 1-0 loss to the Twins when the Twins walked 10 of us and we could not score it finally hit me..."Bell sucks as a coach". He never has this team ready to play if you ask me.

If we want a a younger team we have to have a manager who can coach not just put together a lineup.

Bell has never won at anything. And that shows in our team. He is used to losing and he is getting our players used to it as well.

When you can't bunt, hit, field, thrown, run or pitch fundamentaly sound it is the coaches fault.

These guys would never make a little league team when I was growing up with their lack of fundamentals.

Makes one wonder WTF we practice in practice?

Two things that needs to be change it's Buddy Bell and our current hitting coach. Only thing good in our current coaches is our pitching coach Bob McClure he's done a amazing job fixing and adjusting Meche & Jorge De La Rosa mechanics.

petegz28
05-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Two things that needs to be change it's Buddy Bell and our current hitting coach. Only thing good in our current coaches is our pitching coach Bob McClure he's done a amazing job fixing and adjusting Meche & Jorge De La Rosa mechanics.

Agreed

ILChief
05-13-2007, 07:09 PM
I'd like to think Bell was the problem. But before "Fire Buddy", it was "Fire Pena", then before that it was "Fire Muser". I'd like to think Moore is going to fix this mess. I was very optimistic about finishing .500 this year, but that looks like a pipe dream now. WTF is up with Gordon?

Deberg_1990
05-13-2007, 07:12 PM
I was surprised that Dayton hung on to Bell once he got hired??

Oh well, it wont be long before hes fired.....

petegz28
05-13-2007, 07:13 PM
I'd like to think Bell was the problem. But before "Fire Buddy", it was "Fire Pena", then before that it was "Fire Muser". I'd like to think Moore is going to fix this mess. I was very optimistic about finishing .500 this year, but that looks like a pipe dream now. WTF is up with Gordon?

this is what I don't get about people.....just because we had bad coaches before and wanted them fired doesn't mean we should keep a bad one around now does it?

I mean seriously what coach have we brought in here with any type of winning experience in coaching?

Pena was a good coach until he became the "best friend" of the team.
Muser's problem was he insisted guys thrown too many fast balls and had no since of managing pitchers.

I would much rather see Frank White here right now.

Baird brought in Bell, let's keep that in mind. Baird brought in more bad than good as well so just because we fired our last 2 guys doesn't mean we should keep Bell by default when he sucks just as bad if not more.

Pitt Gorilla
05-13-2007, 07:19 PM
this is what I don't get about people.....just because we had bad coaches before and wanted them fired doesn't mean we should keep a bad one around now does it?

I mean seriously what coach have we brought in here with any type of winning experience in coaching?

Pena was a good coach until he became the "best friend" of the team.
Muser's problem was he insisted guys thrown too many fast balls and had no since of managing pitchers.

Baird brought in Bell, let's keep that in mind. Baird brought in more bad than good as well so just because we fired our last 2 guys doesn't mean we should keep Bell by default when he sucks just as bad if not more.I don't know if Bell is the right guy or not, but Dayton does. If we brought up White, you all would want him fired within the month.

Bowser
05-13-2007, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Farnk White manage the team, either. But the problem with that is there is a short lifespan for a Royals manager. I don't want to see him get fired more than I want to see him manage.

keg in kc
05-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Because Baird hired him, Bell's the perfect bridge for turning the team from a turd into a competitive squad. He manages while the team sucks, falls on his sword, and then Moore hires 'his guy', the coach who'll get the benefit of all the moves made in the first year or two.

petegz28
05-13-2007, 07:22 PM
I don't know if Bell is the right guy or not, but Dayton does. If we brought up White, you all would want him fired within the month.

:shake:

petegz28
05-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Because Baird hired him, Bell's the perfect bridge for turning the team from a turd into a competitive squad. He manages while the team sucks, falls on his sword, and then Moore hires 'his guy', the coach who'll get the benefit of all the moves made in the first year or two.

I have heard this before and wonder if that is the plan? If that is the case though Bell will be here the rest of this year and probably next as well.

tk13
05-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I have heard this before and wonder if that is the plan? If that is the case though Bell will be here the rest of this year and probably next as well.
It's not unheard of. Alan Trammell sat there and took all the lumps for Jim Leyland to come in and finish the job.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see Dayton do that to Frank White the way the Tigers did it to Trammell.

Pitt Gorilla
05-13-2007, 07:30 PM

Makes one wonder WTF we practice in practice?The fundamentals looked pretty good today.

petegz28
05-13-2007, 07:32 PM
The fundamentals looked pretty good today.

1 game out of how many? Give me a break. And they weren't all that great. We walked in a run, got shot on the bases twice once at the plate for the 1st out of an inning which is a no-no.

Gordon looked better defensivley and I think his double at his 1st at bat helped that. He still couldn't get a bunt down.

DaneMcCloud
05-13-2007, 08:03 PM

Why? Because he was a part of the Glory Years? That's a bad reason. Frank only managed the AA team for a couple of years. While they had a winning record, they didn't exactly tear it up. And most of the guys he managed are on their way up or are on the Royals squad - the same squad you say lacks fundamentals, is badly coached, etc.

I don't think that town wants to see Frank White fail in any way and quite frankly, he doesn't have the managing resume to back up his hiring (plus, he's close to 60. That's a little old these days for a first time manager).

Change for the sake of change is never any good. The Royals need to tough it out with the young guys for at least another year before bringing in a solid manager. A Joe Girardi or Don Mattingly isn't going to come to the Royals, nor is someone like Dusty Baker. They might have a shot at Bobby Valentine but not until 2008.

Unfortunately, you're stuck watching bad baseball for at least another 18 months.

Cochise
05-13-2007, 08:10 PM
I don't know if Bell is the right guy or not, but Dayton does. If we brought up White, you all would want him fired within the month.

The bottom line is that even if they could reanimate Connie Mack and infuse our hitters with the essence of Rod Carew, the Royals are going to suck until they develop. It sounds obvious but apparently it's not.

People are irritated about showing emotion, but for my lot I say, who gives a rat's @ss? They have to learn how to play the game at this level. I don't really care what you think a guy's facial expression means. I'm not concerned that some guy pounding hot dogs up in section 323 every night thinks our hitting coach isn't doing enough.

I guess the more vocal among us subscribe to the idea that Aaron Guiel and Joey Gathright are what we should look for - guys who suck, have zero upside and no business in the major leagues, but look like they are trying hard.

Deberg_1990
05-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Is Hal McCrae available?? The last good Royals manager.

petegz28
05-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Why? Because he was a part of the Glory Years? That's a bad reason. Frank only managed the AA team for a couple of years. While they had a winning record, they didn't exactly tear it up. And most of the guys he managed are on their way up or are on the Royals squad - the same squad you say lacks fundamentals, is badly coached, etc.

I don't think that town wants to see Frank White fail in any way and quite frankly, he doesn't have the managing resume to back up his hiring (plus, he's close to 60. That's a little old these days for a first time manager).

Change for the sake of change is never any good. The Royals need to tough it out with the young guys for at least another year before bringing in a solid manager. A Joe Girardi or Don Mattingly isn't going to come to the Royals, nor is someone like Dusty Baker. They might have a shot at Bobby Valentine but not until 2008.

Unfortunately, you're stuck watching bad baseball for at least another 18 months.

Frank White has coached who on this team besides Butler and Gordon and Costa? Costa and Butler are just fine.

The only reason I say him is cause he really wants to coach this team for one and he is a winner. He exudes excellence. Players listen to him. He has their respect PERIOD! He has been on a small market team that won and won a lot.

Compared to what we have had I would say he would be better than Bell.

That is the same reason I liked Pena at first and why the team responded to him. It's too bad he let it go to his head and had the whole hispanic vs. everyone else thing going in the locker room his 2nd year.

PunkinDrublic
05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Bell needs his ass kicked for taking out Greinke the other night. The guy was mowing down the White Sox hitters and he takes him out for our crappy bullpen. I don't know if it would make a difference but Bell needs to go.

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2007, 10:51 AM
The only reason I say him is cause he really wants to coach this team for one and he is a winner. He exudes excellence. Players listen to him. He has their respect PERIOD! He has been on a small market team that won and won a lot.

Compared to what we have had I would say he would be better than Bell.

That is the same reason I liked Pena at first and why the team responded to him. It's too bad he let it go to his head and had the whole hispanic vs. everyone else thing going in the locker room his 2nd year.

The Royals weren't considered a "Small Market" team in the 70's and 80's and at one point, had a higher payroll than the Yankees. So this is a misguided notion.

Compared to Bell? Well, that's pure conjecture on your part. Bell was an All-Star third basemen and had a very fine career as well. It doesn't help his winning percentage that he was given a chance to manage an awful team lacking true big-league talent. Now while some of those guys *might* be good in the future, most of them a struggling to handle the Major League now.

Pena was a nutjob. He was actually handed a team with some veteran talent and he was able to coax a winning season out of them. And it was VERY clear that Pena was hired by Glass, not by Baird. I'd be very surprised if Pena ever managed in the big leagues again.

As I stated earlier, the Royals need to tough it out with Bell this season and look for a "Buck Showalter" type of manager in the offseason. A manager who handles young players well and helps them to develop properly. Maybe not the best game manager in the world, but someone who can help these young guys mature.

Cochise
05-14-2007, 11:06 AM
The Royals weren't considered a "Small Market" team in the 70's and 80's and at one point, had a higher payroll than the Yankees. So this is a misguided notion.

Yeah, but the difference between a high payroll team and a low payroll team was negligible, it wasn't $150 million

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Yeah, but the difference between a high payroll team and a low payroll team was negligible, it wasn't $150 million

Right. But Pete's contention was that Frank White would be a good choice as manager due to the fact that he played on a "Small Market" team, which in fact was not true.