View Full Version : Favre asked to be traded

blueballs
05-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Favre asked to be traded
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This Subscribe
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 hour ago

The man who may have the biggest name in Green Bay sports history has asked to be traded.

Several Packers and league sources have told FOXSports.com that Brett Favre's agent Bus Cook phoned Green Bay's general manager Ted Thompson within two to three days of the draft and asked for a trade. The sources said that Cook railed off how his client was fed up with the organization and wanted out.

The shocking request appeared directly related to the team's inability to trade for WR Randy Moss.

The news was then relayed to head coach Mike McCarthy, who immediately phoned the Super Bowl winning quarterback to squash his anger. However, the quarterback ignored all his calls for a week, perhaps showing the team how upset he was this time.

Finally, in the middle of this past week the two finally connected. Sources close to the situation said Favre asked McCarthy if he was aware that Cook asked for a trade but McCarthy immediately insisted that would not happen. McCarthy told others inside the organization it appeared the team's head coach had cooled Favre's anger and by the end of the conversation admitted he didn't want to go elsewhere. However, at the same time he has told friends on other teams as well how frustrated he is with the organization's inability to land the former Pro Bowl wideout and that he, in fact, wanted out.

Several calls this morning to McCarthy and Thompson by FOXSports.com have not yet been returned.

On Saturday, Favre railed against the team in an interview with his local Biloxi Sun Herald.

"I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way," Favre said in the exclusive interview. "I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it's hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I've never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me.

"Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?'

"I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win."

At this point the Packers are primed to head into serious damage control to prevent any further uproar regarding their most prized name. However, too much damage may already have been done by his bizarre trade request.

Despite Favre's trade request and rant to the Biloxi Sun, the team has no intention of parting ways with him. In fact, some within the organization claim that McCarthy honestly believes they can win with the long-time vet at the helm and has repeatedly told him as such.

Thus, they are hoping that Favre simply needed to vent for a while before jumping back on board.

blueballs
05-13-2007, 11:34 AM
maybe why Trent wasn't traded
washed up
but would put butts in the seats

CoMoChief
05-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Sign him Carl!!!!

Deberg_1990
05-13-2007, 12:06 PM
maybe why Trent wasn't traded
washed up
but would put butts in the seats

Actually, hes not washed up at all. Honestly, hes an awesume talent but always been a little overrated. Hes always been fairly wild except for those huge 3 or 4 seasons in the mid 90's.

and your comparing him and Green? hahaha....frankly there is no comparison. Green couldnt hold Favre's jockstrap.

Stewie
05-13-2007, 12:12 PM
When aging athletes think they're still 30 years old, well, it gets kind of sad.

blueballs
05-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Favre is not the QB the Fins need
like Green -but all GM's think like Carl
is Miami like San Diego -there is other
things to do than watching loosing football

Deberg_1990
05-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Favre is not the QB the Fins need
like Green -but all GM's think like Carl
is Miami like San Diego -there is other
things to do than watching loosing football

Im fairly certain Miami knows that Green or Favre are not the answer. It would only be a bandaid to keep the team from being truly bad.

instead of being 5-11 they would be 7-9 or 8-8

tk13
05-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Favre's more of a gunslinger, Trent's more about efficiency. Although, Favre, Green, Manning, and Steve Young are the only four QB's in the history of the NFL to have a 90+ QB rating in four consecutive years, pretty impressive list. Trent's never played with anything resembling a good defense, if he did he'd probably be thought of a lot more highly.

Deberg_1990
05-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Favre's more of a gunslinger, Trent's more about efficiency. Although, Favre, Green, Manning, and Steve Young are the only four QB's in the history of the NFL to have a 90+ QB rating in four consecutive years, pretty impressive list. Trent's never played with anything resembling a good defense, if he did he'd probably be thought of a lot more highly.

Perhaps.....but i never truly thought of Green as a guy like those others. A guy with those "intangibles" to just carry a team on his back like the others you mentioned.

Green is a good solid QB. But a great QB like the HoF'ers you mentioned?? Hardly.....

Pitt Gorilla
05-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Dammit, Brownback!! :cuss: :cuss:

DaneMcCloud
05-13-2007, 03:22 PM
I think we should trade Dwayne Bowe for Favre. He's a bust and the Chiefs will need a QB this year after Huard & Croyle suffer multiple concussions behind our makeshift line.

Hoover
05-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Farve in KC would rock. Solid D, Great TE, Great RB, OK WRs.

tk13
05-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Perhaps.....but i never truly thought of Green as a guy like those others. A guy with those "intangibles" to just carry a team on his back like the others you mentioned.

Green is a good solid QB. But a great QB like the HoF'ers you mentioned?? Hardly.....
That's possible. I don't think we'll ever know, Trent never had the opportunity to do that because he literally never played with a good defense. Really he never even played with a decent defense.

It wasn't like he was in a position every week where the defense made all the big stops and it was his turn to go win it. He only played on teams where the defense collapsed in the 4th quarter and everything caved in. Literally... in Washington his defense was ranked 28th, in St. Louis the one year he played it was ranked 31st, and obviously he didn't play with a single good D in KC, up until this year, and they still had their shining moments (the Browns game). The only true chance he had to step up was this last playoff game. And he did that, except our WR's dropped 5-6 balls in the first half and our offensive line was dominated. Just like Morton and Boerigter dropped balls in the 2003 playoff game. I think if you gave him a supporting cast to step up he would look a lot better.

I'll fight that one to the death though, I think had Trent been healthy with the 99 Rams, he might have been the superstar like Kurt Warner turned out to be. People forget he was 28-32 passing that preseason before getting hurt, he was tearing it up. I wouldn't put him up with Farve or Elway, but he had his moments. Remember the Browns game where he kept his cool and flipped it to Tait, and it turned into a win. A LOT of QB's would've never done that. My favorite play of his was the Jax game a couple years ago where he was scrambling for his life with like 2 min to go in the 4th, then just as he's getting sacked he slips forward and does an overhand flip to Priest, JUST before hitting the ground, who makes a great run into the endzone. That was a GREAT, legendary play. Well it would've been, except we then missed the extra point and our defense let Leftwich march right down the field and score for the win. I betcha nobody remembers that play now, because we lost the game. Whatcha gonna do. I mean I wouldn't put him in Favre/Elway class or anything, but to put up all these historical numbers like Farve, Young, Manning, etc... over this last 5 years, with no defense at all, no decent WR except a TE that is consistently mugged, is pretty impressive. I consider him more like Gannon, a late bloomer who really played at an near-MVP level for a couple years, although I doubt he'll be remembered as such.

Deberg_1990
05-13-2007, 03:41 PM
That's possible. I don't think we'll ever know, Trent never had the opportunity to do that because he literally never played with a good defense. Really he never even played with a decent defense.

It wasn't like he was in a position every week where the defense made all the big stops and it was his turn to go win it. He only played on teams where the defense collapsed in the 4th quarter and everything caved in. Literally... in Washington his defense was ranked 28th, in St. Louis the one year he played it was ranked 31st, and obviously he didn't play with a single good D in KC, up until this year, and they still had their shining moments (the Browns game). The only true chance he had to step up was this last playoff game. And he did that, except our WR's dropped 5-6 balls in the first half and our offensive line was dominated. Just like Morton and Boerigter dropped balls in the 2003 playoff game. I think if you gave him a supporting cast to step up he would look a lot better.

I'll fight that one to the death though, I think had Trent been healthy with the 99 Rams, he might have been the superstar like Kurt Warner turned out to be. People forget he was 28-32 passing that preseason before getting hurt, he was tearing it up. I wouldn't put him up with Farve or Elway, but he had his moments. Remember the Browns game where he kept his cool and flipped it to Tait, and it turned into a win. A LOT of QB's would've never done that. My favorite play of his was the Jax game a couple years ago where he was scrambling for his life with like 2 min to go in the 4th, then just as he's getting sacked he slips forward and does an overhand flip to Priest, JUST before hitting the ground, who makes a great run into the endzone. That was a GREAT, legendary play. Well it would've been, except we then missed the extra point and our defense let Leftwich march right down the field and score for the win. I betcha nobody remembers that play now, because we lost the game. Whatcha gonna do. I mean I wouldn't put him in Favre/Elway class or anything, but to put up all these historical numbers like Farve, Young, Manning, etc... over this last 5 years, with no defense at all, no decent WR except a TE that is consistently mugged, is pretty impressive. I consider him more like Gannon, a late bloomer who really played at an near-MVP level for a couple years, although I doubt he'll be remembered as such.

I have to admit...you make a pretty persuasive argument. I too, wish Trent would have played with a halfway decent D....Its really too bad..

DaneMcCloud
05-13-2007, 03:46 PM
I have to admit...you make a pretty persuasive argument. I too, wish Trent would have played with a halfway decent D....Its really too bad..

Yeah, except then we would have been stuck with a truly horrific offense. If you recall, the Chiefs under Vermiel brought in Kennison, Dunn, Roaf, Morton, Parker, Weigman, Svitek, Sampson, developed Waters and traded a first round choice for Green and a second and third for Vermiel. There was virturally no chance of building on both sides of ball, so they chose the side that Vermiel had been most effective.

Now, we're going the other way...

Direckshun
05-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Favre would be such an incredibly bad fit in KC I'm getting convulsions just considering the notion.

He's a pass-heavy gunslinger with maybe two years left, maybe.

By the way, Favre on the trading block kills nearly all value for Trent for any team except Miami.

Direckshun
05-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Favre for LJ!

[/packers fan]

crazycoffey
05-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Favre for LJ!

[/packers fan]

Blow Me!
[/Carl Peterson]

the Talking Can
05-13-2007, 06:46 PM
well, according to Miami, Whitlock, and Chiefs fans, the fair price for a starting QB is a 7th...

let's just give Green Bay a 7th and get on with it, if they refuse they will feel the wrath of Whitlock's "How Dare You Demand Compensation For a Starting QB" article, part deux

Cochise
05-13-2007, 06:47 PM
I wish he would just farking retire already. I'm sick of ESPN going into supersonic masturbation anytime he does anything.

blueballs
05-13-2007, 06:48 PM
I will cry for Culpepper
should the sex boat be
put in dry dock or not