PDA

View Full Version : D. Ross week 5 Europe

Wilson8
05-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Derrick Ross had another pretty good game in Europe. He had 25 carries for 143 yards. He also had 2 catches for 18 yards. No fumbles! He had 1 run for 40 yards. He at least looks like he could compete for the 3rd back position for the Chiefs. He might be pretty beat up though by the time he gets finished. He is definitely the work horse on his team.

I have not had a chance to watch this last game yet. From watching his last games though, he is doing a better job of blocking and he is also doing a better job of protecting the football. He goes low on most of his blocks and cuts the blitzing defender. His last fumble, two games ago, was because he would not go down and he had 3 guys holding him up while others pulled the ball from him.

Direckshun
05-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Why is it our players tend to do well in NFLE?

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Because they're generally good enough to kick ass in the junior league, but not good enough to make a significant impact in the big boys' league.

KCFalcon59
05-13-2007, 06:57 PM
We love projects.

SNR
05-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Derrick Ross meet Kolby Smith, the guy taking your place on the squad next season.

Wilson8
05-13-2007, 07:04 PM

It really is a "Minor League" but sometimes good back up players come out of it. If a team is really lucky even a starter eventually comes out of NFLE (Brian Waters).

Side note on Derrick Ross - he is averaging 22 carries per game. I think he will be worn down by the time the season is over.

Direckshun
05-13-2007, 07:05 PM
2006 stats

7 games, 3 attempts, 8 yards. 2.7 avg. 1 fumble, which was lost.

Gee I wonder why LJ had to break the record for carries.

I'm all for giving somebody a chance, but I have to see Ross in the preseason before I give him a second lease on life in KC (not that I'm in any position of power whatsoever). I seem to remember him getting nothing every time he carried the ball.

Maybe he just needed to beat up some Euros to get his confidence high...

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Dante Hall came from NFLE. I know we're all down on the dude, but he was a force for 2-3 years.

Mike Mazlowski was also NFLE. He was never the biggest, fastest or strongest, but that dude had heart. It's really too bad guys with more talent don't have that kind of heart, they'd be unstoppable.

ChiefsCountry
05-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Chiefs probally spend more time, money, and effort than the majority of teams on NFLE players. Really good deal if you ask me, we can develop some younger players and projects while helping the big club bc they all get extentisons for the preseason. My only gripe is I wish we had NFLE over here in States.

Wilson8
05-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Derrick Ross meet Kolby Smith, the guy taking your place on the squad next season.

Since that 3rd back needs to play special team, whoever is better at that makes the team. I was not particularly impressed with Derrick’s special team play. I don’t really remember any good tackles last year. I don’t think he really runs back kicks or punts. Everybody remembers the blocked punt fiasco. If Smith does any of those things better, he probably will beat Ross out. Ross has some talent in running the ball though. Derrick’s NFLE team is not very good at blocking and he still is leading their league in rushing.

Bowser
05-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Since that 3rd back needs to play special team, whoever is better at that makes the team. I was not particularly impressed with Derrick’s special team play. I don’t really remember any good tackles last year. I don’t think he really runs back kicks or punts. Everybody remembers the blocked punt fiasco. If Smith does any of those things better, he probably will beat Ross out. Ross has some talent in running the ball though. Derrick’s NFLE team is not very good at blocking and he still is leading their league in rushing.

Not to mention his special teams snafu against the Chargers in prime time last year. You know the play.

:banghead:

kcchiefsus
05-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Not to mention his special teams snafu against the Chargers in prime time last year. You know the play.

:banghead:

CupidStunt
05-14-2007, 12:23 PM
We really squandered that fourth-rounder on Bennett. I like the young guys behind LJ as much as the brittleman himself, and I wouldn't have minded seeing what Herm could bring in with a mid-fourth-rounder.

Phobia
05-14-2007, 12:29 PM
The Chiefs give a 4th rounder for Bennett but can't snag a 4th in return for Green? Good grief.

They should have given a conditional 4th for Bennett which should have dropped to a 7th after the hammy snafu.

Mr. Laz
05-14-2007, 12:35 PM
an RB's shelf life is short enough as it is, i don't know what we are gaining by having Ross over there.

either he can run or he can't ... it's a pretty natural position.

Phobia
05-14-2007, 01:11 PM
an RB's shelf life is short enough as it is, i don't know what we are gaining by having Ross over there.

either he can run or he can't ... it's a pretty natural position.

That's not true at all. There's plenty of technique learned over there. If he learns to pass block well, it will have been a year well spent. The impression he made on me was that he seems very hungry and nice but he's not what I would term "within the city limits of brilliant".

Micjones
05-14-2007, 01:14 PM
After a season in NFL Europe he won't contribute much to this football team. Too much wear and tear.

Mr. Laz
05-14-2007, 03:05 PM
That's not true at all. There's plenty of technique learned over there. If he learns to pass block well, it will have been a year well spent. The impression he made on me was that he seems very hungry and nice but he's not what I would term "within the city limits of brilliant".
the Chiefs should be able to teach him pass blocking etc during training camp without (basically) losing him for the whole season to the NFLE and shortening his "5 year RB career" by a 20%.

bdeg
05-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Well obviously the Chiefs believe that if he doesn't improve he won't be able to contribute at all.

They're getting him game experience.

Better to have 2 or 3 years than 0.

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Everybody remembers the blocked punt fiasco.
Holy SHIT.

That was Derrick ****ing Ross?

I'm going to kill that ****er. Send him to NFL Oceania for all I care.

el borracho
05-14-2007, 07:21 PM
We really squandered that fourth-rounder on Bennett. I like the young guys behind LJ as much as the brittleman himself, and I wouldn't have minded seeing what Herm could bring in with a mid-fourth-rounder.
yep. That was a mistake trading a 4th for Bennet. In essence the Chiefs drafted two running backs this year (Bennet in the 4th, Smith in the 5th) which means Ross has little chance of making the roster. A shame, really, I think I might like to have Ross instead of Bennet but that seems unlikely.

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 07:27 PM
On what dark planet in the sky would someone prefer Derrick Ross over Michael Bennett?

el borracho
05-14-2007, 07:30 PM
On what dark planet in the sky would someone prefer Derrick Ross over Michael Bennett?
Planet Hamstring.

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Planet Hamstring.
I know Ross looks good now, but look at what he's done in NFL America, the NFL that actually counts.

Bennett out with a broken everything churns out the exact same results as a perfectly healthy Ross.

Half a season with Bennett or an entire season with Ross?

I'll have column A, please.

el borracho
05-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Ross and our 4th round pick > Bennet for 1/2 a season, IMO.

p.s. IIRC, Bennet was signed as a free-agent immediately before we traded for him. It's carelessness like that which has caused such a dearth of talent on our roster.