View Full Version : Tank Tyler Interview

Tribal Warfare
05-13-2007, 10:12 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/05/13/qa_with_dt_demarcus_tank_tyler/

Q&A with DT DEMARCUS "TANK" TYLER - 5/13
May 13, 2007, 4:42:03 PM

ROOKIE MINI-CAMP

Q: So far so good?

TYLER: Yeah, its been really good so far and Im excited to be out here.

Q: Whats the most difficult thing for you to grasp at this point?

TYLER: Just getting back into the game. Ive been out for a couple of months and just putting my hand on the field and getting going, but Im getting back in it.

Q: Is it like learning everything all over again?

TYLER: No, as long as I keep my intensity up and stay aggressive as a defensive lineman, Im pretty good.

Q: Are there any nerves or pressure to come out here and make and impression quickly?

TYLER: I get nervous before practices or games anyway, whether I have been in it for a couple of weeks or not. Its just part of football.

Q: You seem to be in a good situation with a team who needs some depth on the defensive front.

TYLER: Yeah, I feel like Im in a really good situation and the defensive lineman that are here are great and I can learn from them. I have an opportunity to come in a play right away, so Im in a good situation.

Q: Going into the NFL Draft you were a guy who was talked about having first-round talent and then you slipped to the third-round. How do you feel about that?

TYLER: Only the GMs of the teams were in control of that, not me. Im just happy that Im out here having fun and playing football; not sitting at home.

Q: Do you feel like you have something to prove because of that?

TYLER: I think that the people who have seen me play at North Carolina State have seen what type of defensive tackle I am and I think that Im a pretty good defensive tackle. I still have a long ways to go and Ive got to work hard every day to become great.

Q: Do you think your problems on and off the field contributed to you slipping in the draft?

TYLER: Pretty much. The Commissioner (Roger Goddell) is not messing around. I had a couple of incidents that kept me down a little bit, but they didnt keep me down; they kept me moving forward. I go through things in life and I learn from them and thats what matters the most. I dont look back and think down.

Q: Even though you dont look back, how much do you have to think about that and live with that each and every day to make sure you stay straight?

TYLER: Like I said, its taught me a lot. Whenever I do anything form this day forward I have a lot to think about because Ive been through it. Somebody who hasnt been through it doesnt usually think about it unless somebodys told them or they have seen it first-hand from somebody else. So I have a lot to think about and Ive been through it and Ive been made a different man today.

Q: When you look at teams that have a need; is this the best team situation for you?

TYLER: Yeah, I think so. I visited the Chiefs back before the draft and I sat down with Coach Krumrie for a little while. He taught me a lot then and at the Pro Day he taught me a lot, too. I feel very comfortable with him and their scheme. What they do here is similar to what we did at North Carolina State, so I feel like Im in a good position here.

Q: What is one thing that they have told you that you need to work on?

TYLER: Just getting back into everything and going hard every play. Youve got to go 100 mph on every step with maximum effort. Thats what Coach Edwards has told us.

Q: Is it hard to let up and not want to get after the quarterback?

TYLER: It is kind of hard, but I had to do it in college so I knew that I was going to have to do it here.

Q: You mentioned your aggression, but I read somewhere that your aggressive nature might have been one reason that you made a couple of mistakes off of the field. Do you feel like you need to balance it out?

TYLER: No, that wasnt the reason why I got into trouble off the field. On the field, aggression was one of the reasons because Im more aggressive on the field. I got into a guys face and got to talking trash. I dont think that I need to calm my aggression, because off the field Im a normal guy. Its a thing that I turn on and off. When my hand is on the ground, I am very aggressive on the field and when Im out in public Im a people person.

Q: Is playing right away something that you feel you are going to be able to do this year?

TYLER: I stay with a positive attitude and everyday I want to get better as if I am going to play right away.

Q: Is there a good chance of that happening?

TYLER: I just want to go about it that way and whether they tell me that or not I dont want to sit the bench, so Im going to practice as if Im going to play.

Q: Has anyone indicated to you that this is a place where young players get a chance to player earlier then they do in other franchises?

TYLER: Yeah, I think they like to play young guys and a lot of free agents that are out here, the coaches are telling them that they want to give them a chance. You just come out here and play and practice hard and everything else with take care of itself.

Direckshun
05-13-2007, 10:19 PM
When are we going to sign Allen. Sigh.

Sign him for one year, good money.

If he stays straight, pay the man big. It's not rocket science.

wazu
05-13-2007, 10:27 PM
I can't wait to see this guy play.

unothadeal
05-13-2007, 10:31 PM

My thoughts exactly!

Direckshun
05-13-2007, 10:36 PM
My thoughts exactly!
That's all he has to do: behave.

He doesn't have to record 19 sacks. He doesn't have to push McNeill on his back every other play.

Just keep doing what he's doing, and stay straight. Get the probation off his shoulders.

The pay day will come.

T-post Tom
05-13-2007, 10:42 PM
The first donk o-lineman that cut blocks him will be eating his remaining meals through a straw. I have seen "Tank" in two games and he is N-A-S-T-Y.

luv
05-13-2007, 10:45 PM

I'm confused.

BigMeatballDave
05-13-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm confused.We know, but we luv you anyway...
:D

Direckshun
05-13-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm confused.
Jared Allen's rookie contract is up this offseason. He's a restricted free agent, which means that after a certain date, the Chiefs still own him.

That date has come and gone. The Chiefs own him, but his rookie contract doesn't give him the $$$ he deserves now that he's a stud. So he can hold out if he doesn't get the contract he wants.

He's been asking for a huge, multi-year payday.

Which he would deserve -- if he didn't already have 2 DUIs on his record, and get the NFL on his case to suspend him for 4 games. So the Chiefs can't afford to pay him a huge, multi-year deal, because if he gets one more DUI over the next year, he's out for an entire season.

So common sense suggests that the Chiefs should sign him for one year, for pretty good money, with the promise that if he keeps his nose clean, he'll get that huge deal he deserves come 2008.

luv
05-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Jared Allen's rookie contract is up this offseason. He's a restricted free agent, which means that after a certain date, the Chiefs still own him.

That date has come and gone. The Chiefs own him, but his rookie contract doesn't give him the $$$ he deserves now that he's a stud. So he can hold out if he doesn't get the contract he wants.
Okay, you were scaring me with your first post. I feel much better now.

So, we own him, but we haven't decided what kind of contract to give him?

He's been asking for a huge, multi-year payday.

Which he would deserve -- if he didn't already have 2 DUIs on his record, and get the NFL on his case to suspend him for 4 games. So the Chiefs can't afford to pay him a huge, multi-year deal, because if he gets one more DUI over the next year, he's out for an entire season.

So common sense suggests that the Chiefs should sign him for one year, for pretty good money, with the promise that if he keeps his nose clean, he'll get that huge deal he deserves come 2008.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Direckshun
05-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Unfortunately, Jared disagrees.

He's reportedly been so upset with the organization's belief that he's not worth huge money right now. He's reportedly asked to be traded -- even though there were zero trade rumors involving the Chiefs wanting to give him away this offseason. Methinks that even though the Chiefs were somewhat willing to see what they can get for LJ, Jared's just too important to trade away.

Lord knows where it's going to end up.

luv
05-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Unfortunately, Jared disagrees.

He's reportedly been so upset with the organization's belief that he's not worth huge money right now. He's reportedly asked to be traded -- even though there were zero trade rumors involving the Chiefs wanting to give him away this offseason. Methinks that even though the Chiefs were somewhat willing to see what they can get for LJ, Jared's just too important to trade away.

Lord knows where it's going to end up.
How can we own him if we haven't decided on a contract? Does he have to deal with whatever we give him?

keg in kc
05-13-2007, 11:03 PM
It's not about when the Chiefs are going to sign Allen, it's about when Allen is going to decide to sign the one-year, $2.35 million restricted free agent tender that the Chiefs offered him on March 2nd. He will eventually.

Direckshun
05-13-2007, 11:05 PM
How can we own him if we haven't decided on a contract? Does he have to deal with whatever we give him?
Not really. If he doesn't want what we offer, he'll hold out.

luv
05-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Not really. If he doesn't want what we offer, he'll hold out.
I'm referring this branch of the conversation to another thread, as to not take away from the point of this thread.

keg in kc
05-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Not really. If he doesn't want what we offer, he'll hold out.His agent said two months ago that they'll sign the tender, although it may not be until right before camp. In any case, Allen doesn't have any leverage, since he's facing a suspension and the Chiefs offered him the maximum allowable tender.

Smed1065
05-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Very true and how much would he cost himself by having prior suspensions plus holding out for a year when high tendered.

If JA does not like this years offer, wait until he makes $0 for holding out.

He would still get a decent contract the following year from someone but loaded with even more clauses and no where close to how much he wants long term.

Fruit Ninja
05-14-2007, 01:22 AM
Allen is going to come into camp, Its all offseasn bullshit thats going on. He knows no one is going to take a chance on him. he's a 2 time loser. He gets hit with 1 more, he's fuxored.

DaneMcCloud
05-14-2007, 10:16 AM

I think the Chiefs should trade Allen in the 2008 off-season for draft picks. The man cannot be trusted. He's screwed up in high school, college and now the NFL. Nothing's gonna change in a year.

In addition, I think that KC fans overate his performance. He's been one of the best players on an absolutely pitiful defense, so he tends to stand out. He disappears and reappears where he has a "run" of sacks or good plays. He's not an every-down, consistent Pro Bowl player and because of his off-field antics, I doubt that he will ever get to that level.

Teams like the Ravens, Patriots, Colts and even the Chargers (under AJ Smith) have proven that you don't need to rush out and sign high dollar free agents (who rarely workout anyway). Trade or let aging players go and re-stock through the draft.

Allen should go to the highest bidder in 2008. The young team that Herm is trying to build doesn't need his distractions.