PDA

View Full Version : KC Chiefs Draft Picks Are Impressing The Coaches

Tribal Warfare
05-14-2007, 03:21 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/105914.html

Draft picks impress Chiefs

Edwards likes what he sees of defensive linemen McBride and Tyler at rookie minicamp.
By JASON KING
The Kansas City Star

Their goal is to be All-Pro. But right now Chiefs defensive linemen Turk McBride and Tank Tyler will settle for All-Shorts.

Even though they have yet to don a set of pads, Tyler and McBride earned some favorable remarks from coach Herm Edwards on Sunday after the second session of the Chiefs’ rookie minicamp.

“We’ve got some guys that made the All-Shorts team,” Edwards said. “But that doesn’t really count. It really starts when you put the pads on. We’ve still got a long time before that happens.”

Maybe so. But after two days of camp, Edwards said McBride and Tyler haven’t given him any reason to regret selecting them in the second and third rounds of last month’s NFL draft.

The 6-foot-2, 278-pound McBride, the 54th overall selection, will be especially valuable to the Chiefs because he can play anywhere on the line. Because starting defensive end Jared Allen is suspended for the first four games, McBride knows he could play from the get-go.

McBride has spent a large chunk of the minicamp working out at right defensive end. He said he expects to move to tackle when the Chiefs are in a nickel package.

Asked whether he would prefer to stick with one position, McBride said: “It would be easier, but this is not a perfect world. We all sometimes have to do things to make the team better, and that’s what I’m here for.

“This is a new system, a new structure and everything. You definitely have to get used to some new things. Right now I’m still confused on over half the things I’ve done out there. I definitely feel like a freshman at this point.”

Edwards said McBride, a former Tennessee star, reminds him of Chiefs defensive end Tamba Hali.

“He’s nothing to sneeze at,” Edwards said. “He can really change direction and chase down the ball from the back side. He’s got a lot of speed. Those are things you saw in college.”

Edwards seemed equally impressed with Tyler, a 306-pound tackle from North Carolina State.

It’s no secret that Tyler arrived in Kansas City with some baggage. He drew a suspension last season for allegedly spitting on a referee. A year earlier he was arrested for striking a police officer as authorities tried to break up a fight involving his friend inside a nightclub.

Thus, more than two weeks after being drafted, Tyler found himself answering questions Sunday about his past. He said he realizes the incidents probably kept him from being a first-round draft pick.

“The commissioner (Roger Goodell) isn’t messing around,” Tyler said. “I had a couple of incidents that kept me down a little, but I go through things in life and learn from them. That’s what matters most.

“I think a lot about what I’ve been through. It’s made me a different man today.”

Tyler said he’s a softie off the field, but on it, he plays with a ferociousness that’s already drawn the attention of his coach.

“He’s got a mean streak,” Edwards said. “Be careful when you ask him certain questions.”

Edwards said he expects McBride and Tyler to both be in the playing rotation. If that happens, the Chiefs would have one of their deepest defensive lines in some time.

Joining Tyler at tackle will be James Reed, Ron Edwards and free-agent pickup Alfonso Boone. Along with McBride the ends will include Hali, Allen and Jimmy Wilkerson.

“We know we’re going to have a pretty good rotation system,” Edwards said. “We feel pretty good there.

“We’ve got to stay healthy and play good. But we’ve got some bodies now, and we feel like they’re going to be good players.”

“We’re going to ask (McBride and Tyler) to play. Look at us last year: A lot of young guys played for us. That’s going to be the plan again this year.”

CoMoChief
05-14-2007, 03:38 AM
Well, we wont have to worry about the DLine for at least a few seasons. Now we need to really load up on the Oline and Secondary next season, then draft LB and WR in the first day of the next season, by then rebuilding should be pretty much over.

Bugeater
05-14-2007, 06:20 AM
Well, we wont have to worry about the DLine for at least a few seasons. Now we need to really load up on the Oline and Secondary next season, then draft LB and WR in the first day of the next season, by then rebuilding should be pretty much over.
That's assuming these guys aren't busts like Dwayne Bowe.

Al Bundy
05-14-2007, 07:12 AM
This Chiefs d-line seems to be coming together quite well. I think the Chiefs will do just fine, especially when they can pick up a few young CB's.

pikesome
05-14-2007, 07:15 AM

They only have to top Hicks and Sims. I'm feeling pretty confident that'll happen.

eazyb81
05-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Man I am so stoked about our D-Line this year. They have the potential to be a dominant unit - if that happens, we could be looking at a top 5 defense next year.

StcChief
05-14-2007, 09:12 AM
That's right. You Damn first practice pass dropper you. Go get a bud light. call it a career.

Deberg_1990
05-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Blah, blah, blah...im sure Ryan Sims impressed at this point in his career as well.

keg in kc
05-14-2007, 10:11 AM
I think by this time in Sims' career we were probably already getting fat and out of shape comments by Vermeil.

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Whatever happened to Bowe? Man, we blew that!