PDA

View Full Version : What would you do....

Logical
05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
What would you do if your grade school aged student were subjected to a fake gunmen attack?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/05/13/faked.attack.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

MURFREESBORO, Tennessee (AP) -- Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary

School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.
"We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.

But parents of the sixth-grade students were outraged. (Watch student recount incident, mother react (http://java script:cnnVideo('play','/video/education/2007/05/14/intv.tn.faked.attack.cnn','2009/05/13');) http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/1.5/main/icon_video.gif (http://java script:cnnVideo('play','java script:cnnVideo('play','/video/education/2007/05/14/intv.tn.faked.attack.cnn','2009/05/13');','2007/05/14');))
"The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them," said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.

Some parents said they were upset by the staff's poor judgment in light of the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 students and professors dead, including the gunman.

During the last night of the trip, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose. They were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on a locked door.
After the lights went out, about 20 kids started to cry, 11-year-old Shay Naylor said.

"I was like, 'Oh My God,' " she said. "At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out."

Principal Catherine Stephens declined to say whether the staff members involved would face disciplinary action, but said the situation "involved poor judgment."

InChiefsHell
05-14-2007, 11:10 AM
My initial gut reaction was to be pissed and want to kick the teachers' asses for this...but after thinking about it I'm pissed and want to kick the teachers' asses for this.

I have an idea. Maybe we should just have the cops do a "simulation" that the teachers were not aware of...I bet that would fly like a brick...

trndobrd
05-14-2007, 11:41 AM
You mean after filing suit for Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress?

Kansas allows citizens to petition for the formation of a Grand Jury to investigate the possiblity of criminal charges (wreckless endangerment, etc.) against all the adults involved. Shouldn't be too hard to round up a couple hundred signatures.

I would also start recruiting candidates to run for every school board seat on a "we are going to fire every principal and administrator remotely connected to this including the superintendent of schools" platform.

Redrum_69
05-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Great...not only do kids have to be weary of females teachers getting handsy after you bring them an apple....now they have to unwillingly take part in a hoax.

This is why private schools are looking more safe.

Redrum_69
05-14-2007, 11:45 AM
REPOST by the way..

boogblaster
05-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Duck incoming retardation ....

convict1983
05-14-2007, 11:47 AM
I heard about this as well. Absolutely sickening. You would think at least one teacher would stand up and say "ummm maybe this is a bad idea".

Really young kids shouldnt have to worry about this crap cause the odds of it happening are very very slim. I would bitchslap the principal in the face if I was one of the parents.

Mr. Plow
05-14-2007, 12:04 PM
So this is what the world is coming to. I couldn't imagine what I'd do or say if this were to happen to my 2nd grader.

Reerun_KC
05-14-2007, 12:06 PM
I would make the carry a REPOST FLAG to school

Logical
05-14-2007, 12:08 PM
So this is what the world is coming to. I couldn't imagine what I'd do or say if this were to happen to my 2nd grader.

I am pretty sure I would be steaming mad and ready to kick some teacher's azz. But I would probably settle for trying to get them fired.

cdcox
05-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Yet another reason ordinary citizens should be allowed to carry. I'd tell my 3rd grader to pop a cap in teacher's knee.

Mr. Plow
05-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Yet another reason ordinary citizens should be allowed to carry. I'd tell my 3rd grader to pop a cap in teacher's knee.

Now if that isn't an argument for being able carry weapons, I don't know what is.

ROFL

Logical
05-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Yet another reason ordinary citizens should be allowed to carry. I'd tell my 3rd grader to pop a cap in teacher's knee.Pretty funny.

CoMoChief
05-14-2007, 02:18 PM
I would probably be arrested for beating the living shit out of the teacher. I would change schools as well as complaining to the state over this, possible lawsuit if at all possible.

Something like this isn't a joke. Not that the teachers were thinking it was, but these are little kids and they watch what's on TV as well and they dont need to live through that. This is the dumbest thing a school has done that I can think of. That and my highschool received bomb threats so the school decided to keep everyone in the school in a gym.

greg63
05-14-2007, 03:02 PM
My initial gut reaction was to be pissed and want to kick the teachers' asses for this...but after thinking about it I'm pissed and want to kick the teachers' asses for this.

I have an idea. Maybe we should just have the cops do a "simulation" that the teachers were not aware of...I bet that would fly like a brick...

Ditto; everything about this was wrong. IMO