PDA

View Full Version : kcchiefs.com: Q&A with Herm. 5/14

Coogs
05-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 5/14
May 14, 2007, 2:36:36 PM

Rookie Mini-Camp – Highlights

Q: The rookie mini-camp is in the books, so….

HERM EDWARDS: “Yes, the rookie mini-camp is in the books. I thought it was much more organized than last year in that the coaches were more familiar in what we want to do and the players were very attentive. They tried to do what we asked them to do. We made it very simple and I thought that was the key. I thought the tempo of every practice was very good.”

Q: What about Bowe? I saw he had ice on his leg.

EDWARDS: “He actually got what you call – or what I tell my daughters is — a boo-boo. He has a little boo boo. He’ll be fine.”

Q: How was he overall the whole three days?

EDWARDS: “He’s a guy that is very excitable. He wants to make things happen and he was probably pressing. I could see that. But you could see that he could do very, very well and that’s why we drafted him. There are some things you know that when you watch him you go, ‘wow.’ He’s got a chance to be a very good football player.”

Q: Does he have to let things come to him instead of making them happen?

EDWARDS: “Sure, and I think that’s the pressure every first round draft choice has when it comes to camp. He’s a receiver and when you’re a skill guy it’s more magnified than if you’re an offensive or defensive linemen because people sit on the sideline and watch you. If you’re a defensive back and a guy catches the ball and you slip or drop a ball that’s all they talk about. When (Bowe) dropped a pass or got beat for a touchdown….it’s a long time before opening day and a lot of practices left. Its practice and we can anticipate that and the skill positions are always a little easier for people to evaluate.”

Q: You look at some of the best receivers in the league and even those guys didn’t come in and tear it up in their first year. What would be realistic expectations for Bowe this season?

EDWARDS: “That he would be in the rotation system. I think he’s going to be in the rotation system, quite honestly. I think we try to do that with our young players to get them playing early so they have a sense by week eight they’re better suited to play. That’s what we like to try and do with him. He’s a smart kid. He’s going to be moved around a lot. He’s going to play some outside; he’s going to play some in the slot. There are going to be some things asked of him and some other young guys like Webb and Hannon. They’re going to be fighting for spots too, so it’s a great situation at wide receiver all of a sudden.”

Q: Did you find any players these last three days that really stood out for you?

EDWARDS: “We’re going to try and sign four guys who actually walked in. I just want to make sure before I mention their names that we get them under contract and they pass their physicals. By tomorrow you guys should know. But actually four guys who came in as walk-ons we’re going to give contracts.

“I thought another position I looked at and it was interesting to see: the running back position. I think the two guys we signed: the kid from Cal (Marcus O’Keith) and the draft choice (Kolby Smith) did a pretty good job. I was bragging on the guy from Cal. He didn’t drop a pass the whole training camp until the final pass of camp. Those two kids have a little something to them and that’s a good situation for us. All of a sudden we’ve got some backs and that takes a lot of pressure off Larry (Johnson) and some other guys.”

Q: So if you find four that makes it a pretty successful camp doesn’t it?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, I think so. If you find four that make…now, they’ve got to make your team. We had a couple of guys that made it last year. That’s a good job by the scouts and the players taking advantage of their opportunity.”

Q: What about the kicker you drafted?

EDWARDS: “He did good. The one problem he had was he’s got a receiver trying to hold who’s never held before. That’s tough. But next week and the following weeks when the holder comes in we’ll see more. But he’s a talented guy. There’s no doubt about it. When he’s sitting there at that (fifth round) spot you take a shot.”

Q: Is that going to be a true competition or does he have the job hands down?

EDWARDS: “Right now, it’s just competition. That’s what it’s all about. We’ll see what happens.”

Q: In light of the heightened awareness on player behavior off the field what message did you give to these rookies?

EDWARDS: “This awareness of conduct to me hasn’t changed my sermon. I’ve always talked to players that way. When we were in Tampa we talked to them that way. This is nothing new to me. They’re making a bigger issue out of it, I think, the media has gotten a hold of it and are waiting for a every guy to get a parking ticket so they can say this guy got one and ask if he’s a bad guy. I don’t know that. I think young people make some bad choices and bad decisions. You know what? Adults make bad decisions, too.

“You have to be aware what’s going to happen to you now if you get yourself in a little bit of a jam. We’re here to help you not only as football players. My whole job, as I’ve always said before, is not to just be head coach but to make them better men. If you do that they’ll make better decisions and they’ll be better football players.”

Q: Could Turk McBride possibly be your starting defensive end with Jared Allen suspended for four games? What does he have to do to do that?

EDWARDS: “Learn the system. I think he’ll do that. He’s a very bright guy. He’s one of those guys.”

Q: Now you’re off for a week or so until OTA’s. So what do you tell your draft picks that they won’t forget?

EDWARDS: “They’re here in town so the off-season program continues. They’ll be here all this week. One of their deals is they’re going to help in my football camp. That’s their first community service. It’s good for them and they need to come out here and help some young kids.”

CoMoChief
05-14-2007, 03:06 PM
I hope Brad Eckwerekwu makes the team. I liked him when he played here at MU. Nice guy too.

Redrum_69
05-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Q: What about Bowe? I saw he had ice on his leg.

EDWARDS: “He actually got what you call – or what I tell my daughters is — a boo-boo. He has a little boo boo. He’ll be fine.”

Next time tell Bowe to take off his diaper before he runs down the field

Count Alex's Losses
05-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Bowe sounds like a guy that we'll never have a problem with in regards to effort.

Fish
05-14-2007, 03:18 PM
“I thought another position I looked at and it was interesting to see: the running back position. I think the two guys we signed: the kid from Cal (Marcus O’Keith) and the draft choice (Kolby Smith) did a pretty good job. I was bragging on the guy from Cal. He didn’t drop a pass the whole training camp until the final pass of camp. Those two kids have a little something to them and that’s a good situation for us. All of a sudden we’ve got some backs and that takes a lot of pressure off Larry (Johnson) and some other guys.”

Sounds like some PR spin to weaken any LJ hold-out talks...

Direckshun
05-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Hedge your bets now, people. Who makes the team?

DT McGlothlin
WR Eckwerekwu
RB O'Keith
CB Brackenridge

Redrum_69
05-14-2007, 03:32 PM
When does the official adopt a chief player thread start?

pikesome
05-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Hedge your bets now, people. Who makes the team?

DT McGlothlin
WR Eckwerekwu
RB O'Keith
CB Brackenridge

Matt McGlothlin is already on the team. The Chiefs have have to make his.

I got nothin'. Your list is as good as anything I've got. It would be nice if Eck makes the team if for no other reason than listening to the national sportscasters maul it.

SNR
05-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Q: Now you’re off for a week or so until OTA’s. So what do you tell your draft picks that they won’t forget?I can imagine how that went.

Edwards: "Okay, so with all of you here at once, I can tell you that 90% of this group won't make the team at all. So just before we kick you out the door in August, you're gonna help me do shit at my camp. I can't afford to hire assistants and most of you could use a bit of teaching experience when you train high school kids at McDonald's in a few years. Win-win for the both of us."

Warrior5
05-14-2007, 03:57 PM
I hope Brad Eckwerekwu makes the team. I liked him when he played here at MU. Nice guy too.

I can't wait for Brad E. to run a wrong route in practice, then when he comes back to the huddle, Huard says,

"Where the heck were you, Ekwerekwu?"

Easy 6
05-14-2007, 03:58 PM
I can imagine how that went.

Edwards: "Okay, so with all of you here at once, I can tell you that 90% of this group won't make the team at all. So just before we kick you out the door in August, you're gonna help me do shit at my camp. I can't afford to hire assistants and most of you could use a bit of teaching experience when you train high school kids at McDonald's in a few years. Win-win for the both of us."

Heh, i was thinking the same thing...Herms cuttin' corners on kids camp help, making up some "mandatory" activities for guys who'll be in the CFL in short order.

Count Alex's Losses
05-14-2007, 03:58 PM
I can imagine how that went.

More meat for the grinder!

GoHuge
05-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Bowe sounds like a guy that we'll never have a problem with in regards to effort.We just need to make sure he gets there on time :p

Micjones
05-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Brackenridge has the best shot as the cupboard is bare at Corner, but I have a feeling that Eckwerekwu will make the team.