PDA

View Full Version : ESPN to start covering MMA

scorpio
05-14-2007, 02:31 PM
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7538

ESPN.com Announces Agreement with Mixed Martial Arts Site Sherdog.com

ESPN has entered a cross-promotional and content integration agreement with Sherdog.com, the largest Mixed Martial Arts site on the Internet. Sherdog, a part of CraveOnline.com, a leading male lifestyle destination for young men, draws millions of visitors a month and features a global assembly of contributors covering the sport from MMA hot spots around the world. The site, launched in 1997, provides up-to-the-minute news, information and analysis about every fight and athlete involved in Mixed Martial Arts. The collaboration between Sherdog.com and ESPN.com will debut in advance of the highly anticipated Chuck Liddell (Pictures)-Quinton Jackson (Pictures) Ultimate Fighting rematch on May 26.

As part of the agreement, ESPN will highlight exclusive, in-depth Sherdog content contextually within ESPN.com, including news, interviews, videos, event listings, and more. ESPN.com's new Mixed Martial Arts section index will also feature Sherdog's Fight Finder module, which allows users to search the largest fighter database online for stats and personal information. Sherdog's weekly online Radio show will be offered at ESPNRadio.com and for download via the ESPN PodCenter.

"Interest in Mixed Martial Arts continues to grow," said John Kosner, senior vice president and general manager, ESPN New Media. "Our mission is to serve sports fans and collaborating with Sherdog.com made sense for both of us. We can tap into the resources of some of the best Mixed Martial Arts experts in the business - delivering a level of dedicated, expert coverage that fans expect from ESPN.com."

Garrett Poe, Sherdog's co-owner said, "Sharing content with ESPN.com will enable us to expand our audience, develop the Sherdog brand among new users, and, ultimately, grow the MMA fan base."

Sully
05-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Great.
I've been getting more and more into this stuff over the past year, and it'll be nice to know where to go for info... though I'm also gonna check out this sherdog site.

scorpio
05-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Great.
I've been getting more and more into this stuff over the past year, and it'll be nice to know where to go for info... though I'm also gonna check out this sherdog site.

Sherdog is cool for news and stuff but the forums are a wasteland

convict1983
05-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Good
I would rather watch MMA highlights than boring baseball highlights or golf.

BigVE
05-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Maybe it was just local, but I remember a few years ago how much uproar just the COMMERCIALS for these fights caused. Even my wife used to just cringe and actually leave the room if I would watch any type of MMA fights...the last time it was on Spike she watched the whole thing with me (still cringing). If you watch a boxing match and an MMA fight you see there is no comparison and that there is a definite reason MMA is rising fast and boxing is not.

Sully
05-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Maybe it was just local, but I remember a few years ago how much uproar just the COMMERCIALS for these fights caused. Even my wife used to just cringe and actually leave the room if I would watch any type of MMA fights...the last time it was on Spike she watched the whole thing with me (still cringing). If you watch a boxing match and an MMA fight you see there is no comparison and that there is a definite reason MMA is rising fast and boxing is not.
Also, the marketing is so much better. When I watch a fight, as good as the quality is, what keeps me into it also has a lot to do with what I know about these guys. UFC is doing the best job of this, with the "reality" shows, Spike deal, etc. They have actually created "villains" and "good guys" like fake wrestling has, but in a much more identifiable way.

jidar
05-14-2007, 04:04 PM
good news. Next to NFL, MMA is the most exciting sport around.

CoMoChief
05-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Can't waitl til the Liddell and Jackson fight.

Sully
05-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I disagree, but it is moving in the right direction.

Count Zarth
05-14-2007, 04:07 PM
GoChiefs to continue ignoring MMA.

Bwana
05-14-2007, 04:16 PM

Huge shock there.

scott free
05-14-2007, 04:31 PM
And the bell continues to toll for boxing.

Mecca
05-14-2007, 04:31 PM
I think MMA can at times be extremely boring........

Delano
05-14-2007, 04:35 PM
I think MMA can at times be extremely boring........

You really set yourself up with that comment, WWE boy.

scorpio
05-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Link to the new ESPN article about Chuck Liddell (who is also on the cover of the magazine): http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=glock/070514&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Also Randy Couture is going to be on the cover of SI

Fishpicker
05-14-2007, 04:49 PM
i like that MMA is going more mainstream but I kind of miss the "underground" aspect already. Discussing MMA with neophytes usually disappoints me.

as someone are already alluded to, UFC promotions are becoming more like WWF. Ufc likes to hype up the fights by showing clips of the 2 fighters talking smack. Its the exact same thing as having Hulk Hogan pander to Hulkamaniacs in a pre-fight shouting match. that **** is just too lame for words. I stopped watching WWF when I was 13 for the same reasons

a case in point is the Shamrock/Ortiz trilogy. they played it up so big, the fighters couldnt help but to disappoint. Those 2 guys talk some mad trash but the fights weren't even competitive. Seeing the pre-fight interviews once might have some entertainment value. Watching the same gab sessions 10 times in a single show, gets old real quick.

Delano
05-14-2007, 04:54 PM
i like that MMA is going more mainstream but I kind of miss the "underground" aspect already. Discussing MMA with neophytes usually disappoints me.

as someone are already alluded to, UFC promotions are becoming more like WWF. Ufc likes to hype up the fights by showing clips of the 2 fighters talking smack. Its the exact same thing as having Hulk Hogan pander to Hulkamaniacs in a pre-fight shouting match. that **** is just too lame for words. I stopped watching WWF when I was 13 for the same reasons

a case in point is the Shamrock/Ortiz trilogy. they played it up so big, the fighters couldnt help but to disappoint. Those 2 guys talk some mad trash but the fights weren't even competitive. Seeing the pre-fight interviews once might have some entertainment value. Watching the same gab sessions 10 times in a single show, gets old real quick.

Agreed, but the nice option available is to not watch that rubbish. I tend to watch the PPV's at a bar and during the ramp up to the fight I generally stare into my beer.

Fruit Ninja
05-14-2007, 05:52 PM
I like MMA, but NO its not.

Mecca
05-14-2007, 05:55 PM
You really set yourself up with that comment, WWE boy.

That is probably why I think that..........

Fake fighting is prettier than real fighting........

KCfaninOK
05-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Like it or not, MMA is here to stay and will only continue to rise in popularity. ESPN is smart to jump on the wagon, it can only make them money IMO. Yes there are boring fights at times, but there's a lot more action going on than a chess match of boxing or some of the other stuff they like to show on ESPN.

suds79
05-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Well it's about time. Finally ESPN gets with the picture.

Better late than never I guess.

TrickyNicky
05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
It was inevitable. They've had little build-up vids for ppv's on espn.com for a while now. They did cover the title fight for UFC 69 when Serra beat Rush, the commentators really didn't know what was going on and made smart-ass comments.

I agree completely. A close third would be college basketball.

Fruit Ninja
05-14-2007, 07:06 PM
There is a huge ass article in my espn magazine about Chuck Lidell i thought that was kinda wierd. I didnt even put 2 and 2 together. It kind of just suprised me.

Sully
05-14-2007, 09:27 PM

The thing you have to understand, and it's this way with any hardcore fan of any sport, is any changes the league makes in order to market itself, whether it be the behind the scenes stuff or on the field rule changes, is that those aren't geared toward you. You are already a fan. It's those of us on the fringe they are trying to bring into the fold... and it works.

Valiant
05-14-2007, 09:37 PM

You know Underwood watches MMA, and it is two men wrestling around... Why do you ignore it??? :p

Valiant
05-14-2007, 09:40 PM
They should add group fighting...

CoMoChief
05-14-2007, 09:41 PM
**** it why not just have a free for all MMA battle royal match?

mikey23545
05-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Alright, coverage of cockfights from the Vick's Plantation can't be far behind!

BWillie
05-14-2007, 10:29 PM
I don't like MMA. It's like this. When I'm in a fight, I'm not going to pounce on the guy and start decking him in the head when he's on the ground. When you knock a guy down, let him get up without kicking, punching, or putting him in a sleeper hold. No integrity.

I also don't like MMA cuz theres so much amateur bouts, and there are SOO many average Joes that think they are hard asses now because they've "tried it". I'm not even a real tough guy, and I beat up this piece of crap that started crap with my friend out of the blue for wearing nice clothes. This kid thought he was king shit, evidently, because he has fought in some amateur MMA bouts. He was one of the biggest pussies I've ever fought. Hey, I've got my ass kicked before, but this guy was pathetic. I'm sure most MMA serious guys are tough as nails, but theres also a ton of the 130 pound queers who think they can whoop up on you for whatever reason, you got me. I'm a peaceful guy, and I'm just getting sick of these amateur MMA homo's starting fights with people for no reason.

Valiant
05-14-2007, 11:28 PM
I don't like MMA. It's like this. When I'm in a fight, I'm not going to pounce on the guy and start decking him in the head when he's on the ground. When you knock a guy down, let him get up without kicking, punching, or putting him in a sleeper hold. No integrity.

I also don't like MMA cuz theres so much amateur bouts, and there are SOO many average Joes that think they are hard asses now because they've "tried it". I'm not even a real tough guy, and I beat up this piece of crap that started crap with my friend out of the blue for wearing nice clothes. This kid thought he was king shit, evidently, because he has fought in some amateur MMA bouts. He was one of the biggest pussies I've ever fought. Hey, I've got my ass kicked before, but this guy was pathetic. I'm sure most MMA serious guys are tough as nails, but theres also a ton of the 130 pound queers who think they can whoop up on you for whatever reason, you got me. I'm a peaceful guy, and I'm just getting sick of these amateur MMA homo's starting fights with people for no reason.

I agree with the second paragraph on some of these people, but in a fight you never give up the advantage... If you knock him down to the ground make sure you hit him hard enough or hurt him where he does not get back up you're just asking to get hurt if you let him back in the fight...

Valiant
05-14-2007, 11:29 PM
**** it why not just have a free for all MMA battle royal match?

It might be good for the video game... I was joking about the group fighting at first but you never know it might work...

ChiefFan31
05-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Well it's about time. Finally ESPN gets with the picture.

Better late than never I guess.

If by getting the picture they realized there is money to be made then yes.

big nasty kcnut
05-15-2007, 12:13 AM
Can't wait for liddell jackson as a pro wrestling fan i like any sport that can have action in it. MMA is great. but football my passion.

Fishpicker
05-15-2007, 02:58 AM
Wilbon and Kornholer hate MMA and kickboxing. they always diss K-1. it's ironic because ESPN was the only cable network showing K-1. I dont want to hear those 2 bitch about MMA. I hope Dana White has some contractual arrangement so that the anchors and commentators dont criticise the sport.

DenverChief
05-15-2007, 03:00 AM
so we will soon be seeing the Ocho with Dodgeball?

keg in kc
05-15-2007, 03:04 AM
High time. It's every bit the sport that boxing is.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-15-2007, 03:45 AM
Congrats to the MMA fans out there. I'll watch some of the lower-level promotions on HD-Net from time to time, but I've never really been a fan. That's just one person's opinion, though.

Silock
05-15-2007, 04:41 AM
I guess I'm just a pansy, but I seriously don't understand the appeal of watching two guys beat the shit out of each other. I don't like watching boxing or MMA or UFC or anything like that. I tried to watch it last night, and all I saw was some dude get knocked to the ground in like 10 seconds and then the other guy spent the rest of the round straddling him and trying to put his balls in dude's face. And somehow the dude on the ground won.

I don't get it.

Delano
05-15-2007, 06:47 AM
I guess I'm just a pansy, but I seriously don't understand the appeal of watching two guys beat the shit out of each other. I don't like watching boxing or MMA or UFC or anything like that. I tried to watch it last night, and all I saw was some dude get knocked to the ground in like 10 seconds and then the other guy spent the rest of the round straddling him and trying to put his balls in dude's face. And somehow the dude on the ground won.

I don't get it.

You are probably the target audience of the ESPN deal. I think they will probably air some MMA 101 type segments. There may be no hope if you think the fights are homoerotic though.

scorpio
05-15-2007, 06:55 AM
For the n00bz who are interested in learning more, here's a REALLY good MMA primer that was posted on Digg a few days ago:

http://www.iggler.com/newsletters/2007/may/11_mma.html

Chiefnj
05-15-2007, 07:13 AM
They need to go back to the old UFC type elimination fight night. I remember watching Dan "the Beast" Severn win 3 or 4 fights in a single night to win the title. That was amazing.

scorpio
05-15-2007, 07:51 AM
They need to go back to the old UFC type elimination fight night. I remember watching Dan "the Beast" Severn win 3 or 4 fights in a single night to win the title. That was amazing.

Pride has Grand Prix elimination tournaments, but the fights aren't all on the same night (anymore)