PDA

View Full Version : Dirk Nowitzki NBA MVP?

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2007, 02:14 PM
What a friggen joke. Yea and this is the Mavericks year too!!! ROFL

The man is scared to drive the lane and lives on outside shots. Would even one person in the whole world pick him first to build and NBA franchise around? The NBA MVP award is officially a total joke now.

Sure-Oz
05-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Shouldve been Nash again

Pitt Gorilla
05-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Um, it was the Mavericks year; they had the best record in the NBA. Surely you aren't confusing the regular season MVP with the Playoff MVP, are you?

The seven-foot forward led the Mavericks to the best-record (67-15, .817) in the NBA, tying for the sixth-best single-season winning percentage in NBA history. Nowitzki averaged team highs of 24.6 points, 8.9 rebounds and a career-best 3.4 assists while setting career-highs in field goal percentage (.502), three-point field goal percentage (.416) and free throw percentage (.904). The Mavericks were an impressive 18-1 when he scored 30 or more points.

This season marked his sixth straight NBA All-Star Game appearance and his first start in the Game, a first for a Maverick. Nowitzki was named to the All-NBA First Team for the third consecutive year.

Nowitzki was the team leader as the Mavericks became the first team in NBA history to record three streaks of 12 or more wins (12, 13 and 17) and just the fourth team ever to have three double-digit winning streaks in the same season. He was the only player in the league this season to shoot at least 50 percent from the field (.502), 40 percent from three-point range (.416) and 90 percent from the freethrow line (.904).

DMAC
05-15-2007, 02:21 PM
The funny thing is that Dirk has had better years than this.

The NBA just picked him to get some news. Hey, negative news is news too!

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-15-2007, 02:22 PM
heh.

DMAC
05-15-2007, 02:23 PM
At least it's not as bad as when Barkley got picked over Jordan. That was just stupid stupid.

Direckshun
05-15-2007, 02:26 PM
I think it should have been Nash.

Nowitzki is the best player on the best team, but it's Terry that drives the Mavs.

Mecca
05-15-2007, 02:29 PM
It's for the regular season..........The Mavs were the beat team all year.

Brock
05-15-2007, 02:34 PM
It's kind of hard to argue against Kobe at this point, IMO.

Fruit Ninja
05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Kobe should win it all the time, but they are going to give it to winning teams. Dirk deserved it. Gratz Dirk.

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Um, it was the Mavericks year; they had the best record in the NBA. Surely you aren't confusing the regular season MVP with the Playoff MVP, are you?

The seven-foot forward led the Mavericks to the best-record (67-15, .817) in the NBA, tying for the sixth-best single-season winning percentage in NBA history. Nowitzki averaged team highs of 24.6 points, 8.9 rebounds and a career-best 3.4 assists while setting career-highs in field goal percentage (.502), three-point field goal percentage (.416) and free throw percentage (.904). The Mavericks were an impressive 18-1 when he scored 30 or more points.

This season marked his sixth straight NBA All-Star Game appearance and his first start in the Game, a first for a Maverick. Nowitzki was named to the All-NBA First Team for the third consecutive year.

Nowitzki was the team leader as the Mavericks became the first team in NBA history to record three streaks of 12 or more wins (12, 13 and 17) and just the fourth team ever to have three double-digit winning streaks in the same season. He was the only player in the league this season to shoot at least 50 percent from the field (.502), 40 percent from three-point range (.416) and 90 percent from the freethrow line (.904).
They should just make the MVP award the best guy on the best team for the regular season award then. Nowitzki isn't even close to being the best player in the NBA or the most valuable.

Fruit Ninja
05-15-2007, 02:36 PM
I think it should have been Nash.

Nowitzki is the best player on the best team, but it's Terry that drives the Mavs.
I think you take Dirk away from the Mav's and they are an average team.

Fruit Ninja
05-15-2007, 02:36 PM
The funny thing is that Dirk has had better years than this.

The NBA just picked him to get some news. Hey, negative news is news too!
False. Alot of people picked Dirk. He did deserve it.

Brock
05-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Kobe should win it all the time, but they are going to give it to winning teams. Dirk deserved it. Gratz Dirk.

The Lakers made the playoffs.

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2007, 02:39 PM
It's kind of hard to argue against Kobe at this point, IMO.

Player after player after player has said Kobe is the best player on the planet this year and nobody else on TNT or any other network for that matter ever disagrees. I am looking forward to the changes the Lakers make in the offseason. They free up a lot of money this year. Staying even semi-healthy would help that team dramatically next year.

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2007, 02:41 PM

I want you to draw me up a list of players you would pick first to build a franchise around. Obviously these would be the true MVP's. Top 10 would be just fine.

Lzen
05-15-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't have a problem with Dirk being the MVP. But he sure as heck did not play like an MVP in the playoffs.

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2007, 03:34 PM
I want you to draw me up a list of players you would pick first to build a franchise around. Obviously these would be the true MVP's. Top 10 would be just fine.

I knew I wouldn't get an answer to this.

DMAC
05-15-2007, 04:01 PM
True. Check his stats, he has had at least 3 years better than this just at first glance.

But, whatever. I really don't give a shibbit.

PunkinDrublic
05-15-2007, 04:59 PM
They should just make the MVP award the best guy on the best team for the regular season award then. Nowitzki isn't even close to being the best player in the NBA or the most valuable.

You officially have no credibility when it comes to knowing anything about basketball. The Mavs choked in the playoffs fair and square but Dirk led the Mavs to the best record in the regular season which is what the MVP is voted on. Granted it does seem strange to see him get the MVP after completely tanking in the playoffs but like I and others have said it's based on REGULAR SEASON PERFORMANCE. You are a typical whiney little Laker fan who thinks Kobe is Gods gift to basketball. You've proved you're own lack of basketball knowledge by not even stating what you think the criteria for MVP should be.

Mile High Mania
05-15-2007, 05:01 PM
The Mavs definitely sucked against the Warriors, but the last time I checked... this award is a regular season award and was voted on prior to the playoffs. Sure, I would imagine he's just as frustrated as anyone... but, Dirk had a phenomenal year as did the Mavs in the regular season.

Every year, there are 2-3 guys that could lay claim to the award. Don't get so freaking bent out shape.

Mile High Mania
05-15-2007, 05:04 PM

Good lord. He's a 7 footer that can shoot from anywhere... yes, he could be more "intimidating" from a defensive presence, but he has the qualities that many teams would build a franchise around. The Mavs have done that and they were in the title game a year ago. They've had a string of a few great seasons, just no titles.

The Mavs as a whole could use a shot of nastiness when it comes to defense, not just Dirk.

Mile High Mania
05-15-2007, 05:07 PM
I am looking forward to the changes the Lakers make in the offseason. They free up a lot of money this year. Staying even semi-healthy would help that team dramatically next year.

Kobe had a great team and he got his wish to be "the man"... deal with it.

NJ Chief Fan
05-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Who cares about the regular season MVP, its just like a high school popularity contest. The only MVP award that matters is Finals MVP.

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2007, 05:12 PM
You officially have no credibility when it comes to knowing anything about basketball. The Mavs choked in the playoffs fair and square but Dirk led the Mavs to the best record in the regular season which is what the MVP is voted on. Granted it does seem strange to see him get the MVP after completely tanking in the playoffs but like I and others have said it's based on REGULAR SEASON PERFORMANCE. You are a typical whiney little Laker fan who thinks Kobe is Gods gift to basketball. You've proved you're own lack of basketball knowledge by not even stating what you think the criteria for MVP should be.

Yea like who called that the Mavs would be knocked out of the playoffs by the Warriors before the match up was even set? Who was the guy saying this was the Mavericks year and they were going all the way. Talk about credibility issues and who has them and who doesn't. Nobody in the league is more important to their team than Kobe, period. Nobody is a better player, period. Whos should be the MVP, Kobe. Who would I pick to build a franchise around.

Kobe
Lebron
Nash

As one two and three. Just Google Nowitzki, joke and MVP you will see what everyone is thinking. Dirk is a great player, don't get me wrong but he is no MVP. Frankly his unwillingness to drive the lane was hard to watch.

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Kobe had a great team and he got his wish to be "the man"... deal with it.

I am. They could have had a decent year if they weren't so injury stricken this year. They will do what they need and will have the money this next year. Bynum will be another year along. I am excited about the Lakers future.

Mile High Mania
05-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Somebody has Kobe wood...

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2007, 05:15 PM
The Mavs definitely sucked against the Warriors, but the last time I checked... this award is a regular season award and was voted on prior to the playoffs. Sure, I would imagine he's just as frustrated as anyone... but, Dirk had a phenomenal year as did the Mavs in the regular season.

Every year, there are 2-3 guys that could lay claim to the award. Don't get so freaking bent out shape.

I am not bent out of shape I just think it's a joke. If you could have anyone in the league to build a team around would Dirk even be in the top 5? That's my point.

Fruit Ninja
05-15-2007, 05:16 PM
I am. They could have had a decent year if they weren't so injury stricken this year. They will do what they need and will have the money this next year. Bynum will be another year along. I am excited about the Lakers future.
Yep, i just seen them win 3 in a row. That satisfied me for a while. Not many fans of other teams can say that :)

Lakers will be a better team next year, and they will sign some better players.

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Somebody has Kobe wood...

Been watching basketball all seaon with player after player calling him the best player on the planet and nobody objecting to those comments. It is what it is. Lebron or Nash would have been much better selections as well.

Mile High Mania
05-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Been watching basketball all seaon with player after player calling him the best player on the planet and nobody objecting to those comments. It is what it is. Lebron or Nash would have been much better selections as well.

Well, how long was Shaq the best in the NBA and how many reg season MVPs does he have?

It happens... have a nice day.

http://www.nba.com/media/dirk3_300_070515.jpg

Mile High Mania
05-15-2007, 05:24 PM
I am not bent out of shape I just think it's a joke. If you could have anyone in the league to build a team around would Dirk even be in the top 5? That's my point.

I think the argument could easily be made that he's in the Top 5. I'm on kid duty now... so, I can't humor you at the moment though.

Valiant
05-15-2007, 05:24 PM
I fail to see why everbody is arguing over the Kobe vs. Dirk..

MVP is for the regular season..

Dirk lead his team to way more wins then Kobe did for his team...

Bottom line is that Dirk did more for his team during the regular season and produced the victory then what Kobe did with his bunch...

Doesn't matter what was done in the playoffs or whether you are going to build a franchise around him.. It is a yearly award, and Dirk was by definition the the MVP of this year...

Hell we had this talk a few years ago when Green put up gaudy numbers but since he was on a average team(wins wise) that he should not be considered..

Mile High Mania
05-15-2007, 05:26 PM
I fail to see why everbody is arguing over the Kobe vs. Dirk..

MVP is for the regular season..

Dirk lead his team to way more wins then Kobe did for his team...

Bottom line is that Dirk did more for his team during the regular season and produced the victory then what Kobe did with his bunch...

Doesn't matter what was done in the playoffs or whether you are going to build a franchise around him.. It is a yearly award, and Dirk was by definition the the MVP of this year...

Hell we had this talk a few years ago when Green put up gaudy numbers but since he was on a average team(wins wise) that he should not be considered..

But, Barkley and Magic say otherwise... Kobe is the media choice. It's just too bad the others didn't see their way.

Direckshun
05-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Dirk was by definition the the MVP of this year...
Actually, by definition, "MVP" means that Team A falls farther without Player A than Team B does without Team B.

Without Kobe, the Lakers are not a playoff team. They may not even be a 30 win team. No depth, minimal inside presense, and nothing at guard outside of Kobe.

Without Dirk, the Mavs fall, but they likely replace him with Stackhouse who can still put up 20 points a game and they're still one of the best teams in the West. Jason Terry runs that team, anyway, it's just that Dirk's the best weapon they have at their disposal.

How do the Suns do without Nash? Probably a playoff team, but they are nowhere near the elite team that Nash has made them.

I have to say Nash because he's instrumental to a contender, while Kobe's instrumental to merely a decent team. Nowitzki shouldn't have won it this year.

Valiant
05-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Actually, by definition, "MVP" means that Team A falls farther without Player A than Team B does without Team B.

Without Kobe, the Lakers are not a playoff team. They may not even be a 30 win team. No depth, minimal inside presense, and nothing at guard outside of Kobe.

Without Dirk, the Mavs fall, but they likely replace him with Stackhouse who can still put up 20 points a game and they're still one of the best teams in the West. Jason Terry runs that team, anyway, it's just that Dirk's the best weapon they have at their disposal.

How do the Suns do without Nash? Probably a playoff team, but they are nowhere near the elite team that Nash has made them.

I have to say Nash because he's instrumental to a contender, while Kobe's instrumental to merely a decent team. Nowitzki shouldn't have won it this year.

Thats just probabilities though.. You can only go off of what ACTUALLY happened and that is Kobe did not lead his team to too many victories compared to Dirk... You can make the argument towards Nash(who I think should have won it, as their team was right with them in wins compared to Kobe's team with 20 less victories) My statements are only towards Kobe and his teams record...

Direckshun
05-15-2007, 05:44 PM
That's fair.

CupidStunt
05-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Nash and Duncan showed yesterday why Dirk getting it was a joke.

Logical
05-15-2007, 06:58 PM
...Frankly his unwillingness to drive the lane was hard to watch.

To me you are not making sense Troy, 7 footers don't drive the lane. Nor are they expected to, they either play inside or outside but handing the ball and driving the lane is not something you expect for them to do.

By the way I would have given it to LeBron this year. Kobe had an unreal year but could not pull his team up with him. To me that defines an MVP, Kobe is still to selfish but getting better.

Deberg_1990
05-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Real NBA fans know the true MVP is this man...

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2007, 09:54 AM
I think the argument could easily be made that he's in the Top 5. I'm on kid duty now... so, I can't humor you at the moment though.

Top 5 player, I don't know. Bryant, LeBron, Nash, Duncan, Garnett ?

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2007, 09:58 AM
To me you are not making sense Troy, 7 footers don't drive the lane. Nor are they expected to, they either play inside or outside but handing the ball and driving the lane is not something you expect for them to do.

By the way I would have given it to LeBron this year. Kobe had an unreal year but could not pull his team up with him. To me that defines an MVP, Kobe is still to selfish but getting better.

Maybe I should have worded it differently. His reluctance to have any kind of presence in the paint on both sides of the court was hard to watch.

As far as Kobe goes you obviously didn't watch much this season. He tried to make his team better BIG TIME but due to the amount of injuries sustained on this team Phil asked him to be more selfish and try to take over games near the end of the season. This was a tale of two teams this year. The one that was healthy and kicking ass at the first of the season with a VERY team oriented Kobe and one that was all ****ed up in the end asking Kobe to take over games.

Mile High Mania
05-16-2007, 10:00 AM
I understand the hate towards Dirk... but, to dismiss his success this year for the playoff failure which is a team failue is a bit insane to me.

Each of the players you listed has their issues. Yes, even Kobe has his issues.

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Real NBA fans know the true MVP is this man...

I want to Spurs to win it all this year right now. Everything Horry does turns to gold even his game suspending antics. ROFL

Frankly I have really enjoyed watching the Warriors/Jazz series and the Suns/Spurs series this year. Fisher was incredible last night. Old Lakers still stepping up. I could give a rats ass about the east.

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2007, 10:03 AM
I understand the hate towards Dirk... but, to dismiss his success this year for the playoff failure which is a team failue is a bit insane to me.

Each of the players you listed has their issues. Yes, even Kobe has his issues.

Out of the 5 players I just listed how many of them would you prefer Dirk over in building a team? How many of them less important to their teams than Dirk is? BTW I don't hate Dirk at all he is a great player I just think giving him the MVP award was a joke. If they are going to pick players this way they should call it the best player on the best team award not the MVP award.

RoyalsRule
05-16-2007, 10:22 AM
are you ****ing mongoloids? dirk getting the mvp is a farce. not even close to mvp. wow the mavs had a good record, big ****ing deal. they have a good all around team. the would be in the playoffs WITHOUT dirk. the suns would be too if nash was out. the lakers with kobe gone would be lucky to get 10 wins. smoosh ****ing parker would not start for any other team in the league. for kobe to get that ragtag team to the playoffs two years in a row shows how much of an MVP he is. put dirk or nash on the lakers and they are watching the post season at home. kobe is the nba MVP, award or not. if you think otherwise, go get another can of rubber cement stupid ****s. I'm out.

Mile High Mania
05-16-2007, 10:32 AM
RR is greatness

Mile High Mania
05-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Sir Charles on Dirk and the MVP: "It's well-deserved, and he should enjoy it," Barkley said Tuesday. "I thought he deserved it last year. I know everyone is saying he didn't play like an MVP in the playoffs, but it's a regular-season award. He should appreciate it and celebrate it." Barkley pointed out that Moses Malone and Wes Unseld are the only other MVPs who failed to escape the first round. "That's a good list to be on, too," he said.

Mile High Mania
05-16-2007, 10:42 AM
The vote tallys were pretty convincing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2871035

http://www.nba.com/news/top10mvp_070515.html

Mile High Mania
05-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Ok, one more and I'm out...

http://www.nba.com/features/klaskdirk_mvp_070515.html

He scored 25 points per game while shooting 50 percent from the floor, 40-plus percent from three, 90-plus percent from the free-throw line, averaged nine rebounds, and 3.4 assists in 35 minutes. Only Yao and McGrady had a higher average and played fewer minutes per game. He also played better, shot better, rebounded better and scored better vs. playoff teams. The award is determined by the writers across the country and it is not always an indicator of the best overall basketball player. Jordan only won it five times in the prime eight years of his career and few could argue there were better overall basketball players in his era.

People will compare all types of stats and figures so here are some to digest. Dirk scored the fifth most total points and ranked 14th in points per game average. Steve Nash in '05-06 was 29th in total points scored and 33rd in points per game average. Dirk’s regular season numbers were five points more than his postseason numbers compared to Wade’s (2006 Finals MVP) four points more.

Nowitzki plays in the toughest division and conference in the NBA with all five All-NBA First-Team players from the West (first time since 2000). As a barometer in comparing him to other great players past and present he ranks 13th in playoff points per game with an average of 25.2 which sets him ahead of Malone, Abdul-Jabbar, Duncan, Bird, Kobe, Barkley, Hayes, Wilt, KG, Dr. J, Reggie, and Isiah. He’s slotted at 22nd in playoff rebounds per game with 11.1, which sets him apart from Malone, Marion, the Admiral, Kareem, Willis Reed, Dennis Rodman, Ewing and Bird. As the award is currently structured there is no debate that Dirk Nowitzki is the MVP!

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2007, 10:51 AM
The vote tallys were pretty convincing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2871035

http://www.nba.com/news/top10mvp_070515.html

I could care less what the tally was. Would you pick him to build a team around over the 5 I listed?

Mile High Mania
05-16-2007, 10:54 AM
I could care less what the tally was. Would you pick him to build a team around over the 5 I listed?

I can play that game as well... and if this were a "Would you pick him to build a team around over these 5 guys award", then who knows how it pans out. It's an MVP award for one season...

Sadly, if the Mavs had advanced past the Warriors ... half this hate wouldn't be around. Sure, you would likely still have issues, but the widespread media hate wouldn't be around.

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2007, 10:59 AM
I can play that game as well... and if this were a "Would you pick him to build a team around over these 5 guys award", then who knows how it pans out. It's an MVP award for one season...

Sadly, if the Mavs had advanced past the Warriors ... half this hate wouldn't be around. Sure, you would likely still have issues, but the widespread media hate wouldn't be around.

I think the MVP should at least be 1 of the top 5 players. Replace any of those 5 with Dirk and they wouldn't be as good as they are.

Deberg_1990
05-16-2007, 11:02 AM
I think the MVP should at least be 1 of the top 5 players. Replace any of those 5 with Dirk and they wouldn't be as good as they are.

Im fairly certain the NBA feels the need to spread these awards out. Nash has won the last two right?

I remember the year that Barkley won over Jordan. Jordan had better stats and proved who was the real MVP in the playoffs that year.