PDA

View Full Version : Satellite radio caves into political correctness

Chiefnj
05-15-2007, 04:03 PM
I thought the whole idea of Satellite radio was to avoid censorship and things of that nature. I guess not.

O&A interviewed a homeless man on various topics and the guy got to talking about wanting to have sex with Condoleeza Rice, Mrs. Bush and the Queen.

XM Satellite Radio Suspends Opie & Anthony for 30 Days

From an XM Press Release:
XM Radio announced today that the company has suspended Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, hosts of "The Opie & Anthony Show" and ceased broadcast of the show for 30 days, effective immediately.

XM Radio deplored the comments aired on "The Opie & Anthony Show" last week. At the time, the company strongly expressed its views to Opie and Anthony, and they issued an immediate apology.

controversial comments:
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=450

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2007, 04:07 PM
I'll bet Condi is a freak.

Ultra Peanut
05-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Jesus ****ing Christ. **** you, XM.

ClevelandBronco
05-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Jesus ****ing Christ. **** you, XM.

That's the kind of in-depth analysis that makes this place so valuable.

memyselfI
05-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Absolutely outrageous. If I were an XM customer I'd cancel NOW and subscribe to Sirius...

I bet this has to do with XM trying to schmooze the GOV to approve their merger with Sirius more than trying to be PC. Whatever the reason, I think it stinks and would not subscribe to XM if you paid me.

Spott
05-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Sirius is way better than XM, IMO. When they merge, I hope XM's pussified ways and crappy music selection don't rub off on Sirius.

Bwana
05-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Sirius is way better than XM, IMO. When they merge, I hope XM's pussified ways and crappy music selection don't rub off on Sirius.

Indeed

ChiefsfaninPA
05-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Maybe they suspended them because the bit wasn't funny. Or because they are pissed no one signed up for XM because of them. Just maybe.

StcChief
05-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Surprise? trying to broaden the audience...make more money

GoHuge
05-15-2007, 05:21 PM
I cancelled my XM over a year ago. It sucks and there are plenty of commercials on their "commercial Free" radio. I don't know how much better Sirius is, but I won't pay another dime for XM. I just wish Chevy gave you a choice between which one you get, but it's XM only.

Baby Lee
05-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I cancelled my XM over a year ago. It sucks and there are plenty of commercials on their "commercial Free" radio. I don't know how much better Sirius is, but I won't pay another dime for XM. I just wish Chevy gave you a choice between which one you get, but it's XM only.
There are XM to Sirius rewiring kits out there.

journeyscarab
05-15-2007, 05:31 PM
When broadcasters learn that the days of high ratings and listenership based on a couple of jackasses that never graduated from 7th grade are over....then radio will get better.

The days of shock jocks is long gone. It's old, tired and boring.

blackhawk
05-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by GoHuge39
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are XM to Sirius rewiring kits out there.

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-connect-p-228.html

Baby Lee
05-15-2007, 05:40 PM
The days of Howard Stern wannabes is long gone. It's inferior and boring.
FYP

journeyscarab
05-15-2007, 05:45 PM
FYP

That's OK...my original post stands. Stern is the king of sucky radio.

Baby Lee
05-15-2007, 05:46 PM
That's OK...my original post stands. Stern is the king of sucky radio.
You post that was Casey Kasem in your sigline?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

http://www.celebrityrants.com/free_celeb_casey.html

journeyscarab
05-15-2007, 05:54 PM
You post that was Casey Kasem in your sigline?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

http://www.celebrityrants.com/free_celeb_casey.html

I can't see it behind the firewall where I work. I assume its the blowup about the dead dog request. Freaking hillarious. ROFL

That was a blooper - he doesn't base his whole career around talking like that. Broadcasting bloopers are hillarious - because they aren't done intentionally for laughs(for the most part).

That's the difference.

I liked Sterns biography on how he worked his away through radio but his routine gets old after about 2 minutes.

Baby Lee
05-15-2007, 06:08 PM
I can't see it behind the firewall where I work. I assume its the blowup about the dead dog request. Freaking hillarious. ROFL

That was a blooper - he doesn't base his whole career around talking like that. Broadcasting bloopers are hillarious - because they aren't done intentionally for laughs(for the most part).

That's the difference.

I liked Sterns biography on how he worked his away through radio but his routine gets old after about 2 minutes.
The blooper was just an add-on.

The prostrate laughter was due to the pablum that is a Casey Kasem broadcast. Upbeat popcorn rah-rahhing for whatever the record industry throws his way to promote.

He's just another version of the 'in a world. . . ' voice guy for movie previews.

And on the issue of Stern, his routine only gets old if you don't pay enough attention. The thing is, Stern's schtick is adolescent humor . . . performed by very bright and capable people. Almost every member of the staff is expected to have an institutional memory. That way jokes and references; don't get hammered into the ground, and refer back on themselves in a manner that creates an entire world of references.
Further, the whole 'A-team' [Howard, Eric/Fred, Robin, Gary] are masters of framing the interview/discussion. They are skilled in getting people to divulge what they're uncomfortable divulging, steering the discussion or debate to their own positions. And they are further skilled in deconstructing their own lives and foibles. Only Howard can deconstruct his ass-wiping protocols for an hour and have you laughing all along, or see right through the BS in Gary's protestations when something goes wrong, or hone in like a laser on the psychological motivations behind the wacky shit people do every day.

journeyscarab
05-15-2007, 06:19 PM
The blooper was just an add-on.

The prostrate laughter was due to the pablum that is a Casey Kasem broadcast. Upbeat popcorn rah-rahhing for whatever the record industry throws his way to promote.

He's just another version of the 'in a world. . . ' voice guy for movie previews.

Whatever. :rolleyes: I grew up listening to AT40 and I happen to enjoy his voice and his show. You are comparing apples to oranges - its two different styles of shows. I simply don't find Stern and the wanna-be's to be very entertaining. If you like it - that's cool. I just don't find it what is happening to most of these shows to be caving to politcal correctness.

htismaqe
05-15-2007, 06:23 PM

The dude from the Geico commercials?

Baby Lee
05-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Whatever. :rolleyes: I grew up listening to AT40 and I happen to enjoy his voice and his show. You are comparing apples to oranges - its two different styles of shows. I simply don't find Stern and the wanna-be's to be very entertaining. If you like it - that's cool. I just don't find it what is happening to most of these shows to be caving to politcal correctness.
Not trying to start a fight, it just smacked of someone saying, say;

"Metallica is for wusses" with Air Supply as your avatar.

ClevelandBronco
05-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Whatever. :rolleyes: I grew up listening to AT40 and I happen to enjoy his voice and his show...

I learned just recently that Kasem is the voice of Shaggy of Scooby Doo fame. That may be common knowledge, but it was news to me.

How's that for advancing the original topic along?

StcChief
05-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Kasem as Shaggy ... Rut row.

pikesome
05-15-2007, 07:43 PM
I thought the whole idea of Satellite radio was to avoid censorship and things of that nature. I guess not.

O&A interviewed a homeless man on various topics and the guy got to talking about wanting to have sex with Condoleeza Rice, Mrs. Bush and the Queen.

XM Satellite Radio Suspends Opie & Anthony for 30 Days

From an XM Press Release:
XM Radio announced today that the company has suspended Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, hosts of "The Opie & Anthony Show" and ceased broadcast of the show for 30 days, effective immediately.

XM Radio deplored the comments aired on "The Opie & Anthony Show" last week. At the time, the company strongly expressed its views to Opie and Anthony, and they issued an immediate apology.

controversial comments:
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=450

You know, it is possible that whoever is in charge didn't like the comments and that's why they were suspended. Companies can "censor" themselves without it being part of an agenda or Some-wing Conspiracy.

journeyscarab
05-15-2007, 10:47 PM
I learned just recently that Kasem is the voice of Shaggy of Scooby Doo fame. That may be common knowledge, but it was news to me.

How's that for advancing the original topic along?

Sure. He also was the voice of Robin on the Superfriends!

Iron Chef
05-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Free Speech must libe on.

WWW.PEOPLEAGAINSTCENSORSHIP.COM

Lets all sign up.

RJ
05-15-2007, 11:23 PM
When broadcasters learn that the days of high ratings and listenership based on a couple of jackasses that never graduated from 7th grade are over....then radio will get better.

The days of shock jocks is long gone. It's old, tired and boring.

Agreed. I didn't enjoy that type of radio when it first came along 20+ years ago and it hasn't grown on me since. I really don't see the attraction. What is entertaining or informative about listening to a homeless dude talk about banging Condi Rice? It's disrespectful AND stupid.

Having said that, I have no idea why XM needs to reprimand or punish anyone for this. If the listeners don't like it they can cancel their subscriptions. If enough listeners cancel their subscriptions XM can cancel the show. Very simple.

journeyscarab
05-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Having said that, I have no idea why XM needs to reprimand or punish anyone for this. If the listeners don't like it they can cancel their subscriptions. If enough listeners cancel their subscriptions XM can cancel the show. Very simple.

I agree. I thought that was the attraction of XM anyway. No FCC - No Rules.

If you as a consumer wants to hear it then you can buy it. If not - no problems.