PDA

View Full Version : I gave up on politics long ago.

Stewie
05-15-2007, 03:05 PM
It's a sideshow for what's really going on. The manipulation of data would be funny if it wasn't so sad. This sort of manipulation started long ago no matter which party was in control. Why? Because the politicians (representing "the people") don't understand a damn thing. The banks and the FED hold all the cards. Politicians are puppets and we believe one is different from the other.

Here is just one day's (todays) example from someone who gets it:

Today’s CPI for the month of April came in with a rise of 0.4%. That was below analysts’ consensus of a 0.5% rise. March CPI was up 0.6%. The core reading was up 0.2% in line with the consensus.

It is amusing reading Wall Street’s take on these things. Analysts remarked that the data showed “a stable inflation picture”.

What might be good for a few laughs is to put a video screen with this report at some gasoline stations around the country with the message, “The Government reports that prices are stable” highlighted so that when John Q. Public fills up his car, he can take comfort in the “stable inflationary picture”.

If he shops at one of those super-duper Wal-Marts with the grocery store built into it, he can fill up his car at their gas pumps outside and then go in and buy his groceries knowing that the government considers his grocery bill and energy costs as “too volatile”. In other words, one stop misery that according to the Feds does not really exist. I don’t know about you, but I feel so much better knowing that prices are stable.

Contrast what the feds tell us with a report from the real world…

Gasoline hits record $3.10 a gallon
Prices top highs hit after Hurricane Katrina; rose 5 cents last week and 16 cents from a year ago.
May 14 2007: 5:58 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- U.S. consumers are digging deeper in their pockets to fill up at the pump, with the average price for gasoline now a record $3.10 a gallon, the government said on Monday.

The national price for regular unleaded gasoline rose 5 cents over the last week and is up 16 cents from a year ago, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration's weekly survey of service stations.

The latest pump price tops the old record of $3.07 set in September 2005 after Hurricane Katrina disrupted refinery operations and oil production along the Gulf Coast, the EIA said.

The much larger AAA survey showed the price for gasoline at a record $3.07 on Monday.

SBK
05-15-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm looking forward to finally buying my wife that SUV when gas goes over $4 a gallon. I think the deal will be smokin!!!

Stewie
05-15-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm looking forward to finally buying my wife that SUV when gas goes over $4 a gallon. I think the deal will be smokin!!!

Gov't distraction #1. Worried about what others think and do. "Don't mind me while I'm over here going through your stuff."

Eleazar
05-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Here is just one day's (todays) example from someone who gets it:

Today’s CPI for the month of April came in with a rise of 0.4%. That was below analysts’ consensus of a 0.5% rise. March CPI was up 0.6%. The core reading was up 0.2% in line with the consensus.

It is amusing reading Wall Street’s take on these things. Analysts remarked that the data showed “a stable inflation picture”.

What might be good for a few laughs is to put a video screen with this report at some gasoline stations around the country with the message, “The Government reports that prices are stable” highlighted so that when John Q. Public fills up his car, he can take comfort in the “stable inflationary picture”.

So are you agreeing on that point? Is it your submission that to understand the overall state of inflation across the U.S. economy, we should ignore well-established 'big picture' metrics and look at short-term price fluctuations in only one commodity?

Stewie
05-15-2007, 03:40 PM
So are you agreeing on that point? Is it your submission that to understand the overall state of inflation across the U.S. economy, we should ignore well-established 'big picture' metrics and look at short-term price fluctuations in only one commodity?

Look at the bond market. Look at short term vs. long term rates. The markets know what's going on. Good God. The Dow at 13000+ and the other markets can't get out of their own way! It absolutely stinks of the ESF.

BucEyedPea
05-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Milk prices are bothering me. Just look at how the cost of milk has soard. :mad:

Stewie
05-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Milk prices are bothering me. Just look at how the cost of milk has soard. :mad:

Don't drink milke. It's da debil. :)

Stewie
05-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Crickets...

Anyone want to talk about anything other than regurgitated BS that Geico cavemen would find offensive?

Stewie
05-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Look at the bond market. Look at short term vs. long term rates. The markets know what's going on. Good God. The Dow at 13000+ and the other markets can't get out of their own way! It absolutely stinks of the ESF.

I guess the semi-details killed this thread. Carry on. My time here looking for other opinions was a waste of time. Obama, Hillary, Romney, and some actor named Thompson (or something). Yep, that's where we are. In the mean time someone in China owns your labor. WORK ON!

BucEyedPea
05-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Stewie for president!!!

Use that avy pic for a campaign ad....it reflects the American people right now.

Stewie
05-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Stewie for president!!!

Use that avy pic for a campaign ad....it reflects the American people right now.

It reflects me, not the sheeple.

Stewie
05-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Does anyone care that printing money screws everyone? There's a reason that the dollar is sucking ass right now... here's the secret.... are you ready?

The gub'ment can print a $100 bill for a dime. Wooohooo! What a profit! The tax on that $100 is called inflation. Ah, what do you care? You're getting a 4% raise, right?

Baby Lee
05-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Are you under the impression that;

'despite inflated gas and food prices, inflation overall is stable' doesn't factor in highly inflated gas and food prices enough,

Went over our head?

In a sense you're right, 'stable inflation' for an individual consumer is a much different animal from 'stable inflation' on the world market.

Stewie
05-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Are you under the impression that;

'despite inflated gas and food prices, inflation overall is stable' doesn't factor in highly inflated gas and food prices enough

In a sense you're right, 'stable inflation' for an individual consumer is a much different animal from 'stable inflation' on the world market.

The point is that they ignore food, gas, and anything else they want to ignore. These aren't world prices. It's what you pay and it's ignored by the fed ( and their stats) who are only concerned by U.S. prices.