PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk KC Football!

aturnis
04-16-2001, 03:43 PM
Enough of the endless babbling, lets talk football.
What are your 2001 draft theories?

NaptownChief
04-16-2001, 03:46 PM
We keep the number 12 if Tomlinson or McCallister is still on the board...If they are gone then we trade it to the Rams with a 3rd rounder for Green and our 2nd rounder in which we draft LaMont Jordan, Kevan Barlow or Travis Henry...

kcred
04-16-2001, 03:50 PM
I could get really excited about the rumor involving the Jets and #19, and their second. However, I have a hard time imagining them waiting til #12. There seems to be at least 3 others that want to trade down, and they are drafting ahead of us. I don't want to deal with the Rams, and think the #19, and their second, could give us some valuable talent, for 02 and beyond.

Iowanian
04-16-2001, 03:54 PM
1. Keep #12 and use on LaDanian Tomlinson(who will be gone) Duece(whom I think will be gone) Dan Morgan, or the Top DT left..Stroud or Seymour would suit me fine.

2. Trade down to #19 with the Jets and pick up a second round pick.(If the jets will do it, so would I)...this option allows us to get both a DT and RB of equal pick/potential value.

3. Swap #12 for Green and #29.....I beleive a 1 and 3rd is too steep of a price..

~a used car with a salvage title isn't worth as much.

NaptownChief
04-16-2001, 03:54 PM
Red,

I love that scenario also...I would be surprised if it works out however...

The one thing that makes no sense is to draft Bennett at #12...Then only teams that will be in the market for 1st round RB's are Cleveland, Chicago, NE and Carolina...They will all be off the board ahead of us so if Bennett is still available at #12 he will be available at the end of the 1st round unless we take him...So if he is the guy they want then they should move down at all cost cause they will be able to get him later which means a much smaller contract and some kind of compensation in exchange for moving down...Even if it were just a 3rd or 4th rounder it would be worth it...

tommykat
04-16-2001, 04:02 PM
Do you think it is possible that the Rams might be willing to take our #12 and give back our 2nd for Green? Plus I know that they are going to want another pick. But the other way to look at this is sign B/Dilfer<<pretty cheap and a rookie to teach. I almost like that idea the best. 2 QB.s and a rookie.

Iowanian
04-16-2001, 04:10 PM
Don't you think that SF is also a player in the RB picture now? Will GH signing with Oakland, i think they will be in the mix.

47mack
04-16-2001, 04:11 PM
I am not sure what the compromise will be, but I still see Greene ending up in KC. I also think that KC isn't putting enough emphasis on the running back position.

NaptownChief
04-16-2001, 04:13 PM
Iowaian,

Yes, absolutely. They were in my head and fall into that category, my fingers just didn't follow instructions...They also will be off the board when we pick so if Bennett is still there then we have no reason not to drop down as late as possible in the 1st round.

skateroces19
04-16-2001, 05:56 PM
The Chiefs should 1-Trade the No. 1 pick to the Lambs and get Green. 2-Sign Priest Holmes. 3-Use the rest of the picks to draft a decent RB prospect, a QB, a WR, a DL, and a CB. If this doesn't work, they should trade down from 12 to 20-something and then draft Brees and still sign Holmes. They should still draft the other positions if possible.

Cormac
04-16-2001, 06:15 PM
Best case scenario IMO:

Trade down with Jets for #19 and #49. Do 1 of 2 things.....
Draft Lamont Jordan @ #19. It's a bit early (maybe), but he won't last much longer IMO. Then take one of the DTs at #49. This draft is so deep at DT, and I bet some of them are going to fall surprisingly. A good one will be available at #49.
or
Draft the best available DT @ #19 and Travis Henry at #49. With so little mention of Travis Henry by the draft experts, I am beginning to accept that he may not be all I think he is. He might be more Travis Prentice than Jamal Lewis.

Then in the later rounds pick up an OLB, QB (Carter, Tuiasosopo, Weinke) WR, CB, more D-line depth, O-line depth in that order.

Sign Beuerlein and go to camp with him, Collins, Ornstein/Druckenmiller/Maddox (as camp arms) and the draftee.

What will probably happen
Trade #12 straight up for Trent Green. If we trade down with the Jets, I think any chance we have to getting a trade with St. Louis is gone. They already have 2 ? picks in the 20s, and would only be interested in trading if they get an early pick for a stud D-lineman IMO.

Draft picks spent on DT, WR, CB and QB in 3rd and 4th rounds, with O/D-line depth and linebackers coming at the end.

Worst case scenario
Anything involving Michael Bennett and/or Drew Brees and the number 12. ****, I'd sooner send #12 to St. Louis for Trent Green than take one of those complete reaches. A trade down with the Jets and choosing Brees at #19 with Henry/Barlow at #49 would be bearable.

NaptownChief
04-16-2001, 06:35 PM
Drafting Drew Brees anywhere before the 3rd round would be unbearable for me...

Other than being a short and slow product of a system with a weak arm he is a pretty good QB...

BIG_DADDY
04-16-2001, 06:38 PM
Someone on the other BB says we are looking at Maddux. Has anybody seen enough of the XFL to have a good feel for this guy?.

JOhn
04-16-2001, 06:41 PM
jl80, I think no matter what it seems our first round pick is gonna end up a QB, I'm not sold on Green at all, and would rather we draft Brees, as opposed to taking Green.

kcred
04-16-2001, 06:42 PM
I only saw him play once, but he is definitely a fiery type of guy, told his coach his kicker couldn't make a FG, so why not go for the first. Yelled a little at his receivers when they were trotting back to position, in a 2 minute drill, threw a bullet, and fairly accurate. I like at least bringing him to camp.

NaptownChief
04-16-2001, 06:49 PM
Big Daddy,

I was one of the few that watched virtually every XFL games...Maddux looked decent but it looks like he had lost quite a bit of arm strength from his UCLA/Denver days and he didn't have a rocket arm then...He played solid but he was helped tremendously by Darnell McDonald and Jermaine Copeland being two of the very best WR's in the XFL...Druckenmiller would have a much better chance of success in the NFL comeback bid because of his age and strong arm...

BTW, should we now call you B Diddy?

Tribal Warfare
04-16-2001, 07:01 PM
I have this gut feeling that McAllister will slip and KC will select him

Coogs
04-16-2001, 07:06 PM
If McAllister is still on the board at #12, and we trade for Green, I am going to be one upset dude! My belief is that the only reason we even have a shot at this guy in a sprained ankle. Without that injury, I could see him going #1.

If McAllister is gone, I could tolerate a Green trade a bit more, but it would still not be my 1st option.

My first option if he is gone would be to trade down with the Jets for their #19 if who they want is still on the board and pick up their 2nd rounder. Then, if Brees slips by the Steelers, and whoever the Eagles a coveting happens to still be on the board, I would trade down again to the #25 hole and pick up another 2nd rounder. I believe if Brees is still there at #19, he will also make it to #25. Philly, St. Louie, Tampa, Indy, New Orleans, and Denver have the picks between #19 and #25 if we would trade down with them.

That would give us picks #25, #49, #55, #75, and #77 in the first 3 rounds.

I just got done watching NFL TONIGHT, and Merel Hodge thought if the Chargers were insistant on taking a QB that Brees makes more sense than Vick. He said a good coaching staff would coach to his strengths rather than his weaknesses, and he could be very good pretty quickly. Bring in Beurlein or Dilfer as the short term stopgap until Brees is ready, and turn the keys over to Brees at the right time.

Then the picks between 49 and 77 would allow us to do a multitude of things to strengthen our ballclub. To me, much more than the addition of Green!!!

NaptownChief
04-16-2001, 07:19 PM
Coogs,

I completely agree with you about McCallister...

As for M.Hodge liking Brees....Well, I think he is still feeling the effects of those concussions...

I would much rather have McMahon or Jesse Palmer over Brees...

I truely believe this could be the worst QB crop since the year that Chris Chandler was the 1st QB taken and that wasn't until the Colts took him in the 2nd round....

Cormac
04-16-2001, 07:42 PM
IMO the only way we should take Brees, as I said earlier, is if we trade down and pick up a decent 2nd rounder to spend on a RB IMO. Better again, take a DT and a RB with those 2 picks and leave Brees to be someone else's experiment. I haven't thought much of him from what I've seen, but if DV and others think he's worthy of the pick then I guess we'll have to live with it. As long as it's not #12.