PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for potential solutions.....

Phobia
04-16-2001, 10:49 PM
This is mostly for Kyle but feel free to add your thoughts.

Obviously, the first step to a quality BB is the technology and wherewithall to serve up consistency/dependability. The next step is to attract interesting conversationalists and keep them around. We don't have the dependabilty. Both our major outages in the past month have good excuses. But, sometimes excuses don't cut it.

In the past, the offseason wasn't nearly as important for NFL fans. That's no longer the case, especially because this forum is not as much about the NFL/Chiefs as it is about community. I'm frightened that we may lose (or have already lost) some key members of our community. I don't want that to happen but I couldn't blame anyone for leaving out of frustration. FWIW, I'm not going anywhere as long as this place holds my interest.

Kyle,

We've obviously become handicapped by your move to Spain. I wish you the best and commend you for following your dream. You've put in a LOT of free time to make this thing available, and it's very much appreciated. I'm not blaming or pointing fingers. I have nothing but love for this place and it's creator. However, there has to be someone else that can help out when you are out of pocket. I'm certain I couldn't handle the SQL problem we experienced in this latest outage so I'm not the guy. I don't have any answers but something needs to be done to assure our population that we're trying to improve service.

TeenagerFromMars
04-17-2001, 12:58 AM
I may not be a 'key member' of the community but, alas, I keep coming back to this board as if it's SWEET SWEET CRACK! I'm glad it's functional again. I've got my buzz going...

I agree that the community makes this place go round. I know the regulars will begin to saunter through here any time, now. However, for fear that some may become wary and abandon the planet in search of redder pastures, it would be nice if someone could step up and take care of the board in Kyle's absence (we junkies would really appreciate it!). Unfortunately, I'm just a user. If I knew how to grow something like this on my own I would have done it by now.

So... do we have any takers? Anyone...? Anyone...? Anyone...? Bueller?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
04-17-2001, 05:27 AM
I agree with what's been posted so far. Unfortunately, I'm an HTML writer. I have minimal exposure to Cold Fusion and none to MySQL, so even though I would love to help, my skills would be better suited for the front page, not the bulletin board.

What we need is to get a couple of volunteers with admin privileges who can actually do maintenance on the board on a regular basis. Coordinate with Kyle on who's responsible for what and if you're going on vacation, make sure someone's at least aware that you're going to be out.

Being former military, a DA-6 comes to mind immediately, but that's probably more regimented than volunteers would want, but Kyle should have two to three back-ups who could be on call when something goes wrong.

And personally, if people prefer the other board to this one, by all means go there. However, I'm not sure I see the value-added in coming back here only to give someone who does this voluntarily grief is productive. Help come up with solutions.

Mile High Mania
04-17-2001, 06:29 AM
Putting one of these BBs together is a tricky deal. Are some of these problems associated with the hosting provider? I have heard nothing good about those guys.

I'm sure the price is right, but there's another price to pay for their services. If the problem has nothing to do with them, then I apologize.

HC_Chief
04-17-2001, 08:41 AM
I'm an SQL DBA. 'MySQL' uses Transact SQL (ANSI 92) language... I can program it. ;)

If you need help, Austin, let me know.

MrBlond
04-17-2001, 12:23 PM
I would be willing to make the beer run. Sorry, that is about all I am qualified for when it comes to computers. I will do anything I can to support the Planet. I spent some time at the Star BB this week and I felt ill worrying whether or not we would be up before the draft.

old_geezer
04-17-2001, 12:46 PM
HC_Chief:
"I'm a SQL DBA. My SQL uses Transact SQL (ANSI 92) language."

I don't know if I should applaud or add you to my prayer list.
When it comes to computers, I'm blond. :eek:

I just want to add to Kyle that I love this site and I really appreciate the time he puts in. If someone could help out a little, that would be great.

Phobia
04-17-2001, 02:04 PM
I'm really happy at these responses. Only 2 disgruntled people out of everyone. That's still too many though. I appreciate everything Kyle has done as well.

I think it would be great if HC can help out. Hopefully Kyle will chime in soon. But he's probably busy shaving his new Spanish g/f's armpits..... :)

morphius
04-17-2001, 02:33 PM
Kphob - That is absolutly gross!!!

HC_Chief
04-17-2001, 02:51 PM
<i>But he's probably busy shaving his new Spanish g/f's armpits</i>

LOL!

I wish <i>I</i> was in Spain too! (can do w/o the armpit shaving... but MAN, have you SEEN the women there!? HOLY &*()#$&^%@%^#%!) :eek:

AustinChief
04-17-2001, 03:20 PM
HAHA... They shave here in Spain AND use deodorant... The ONLY problem is that I donīt speak Spanish (yet) ...so I have arranged for a girl I met here to do an InterCambio, which is an exchange of language lessons. Now if that isnīt a great scam...

btw... HC if you could send me an email to KyleTerrill@hotmail.com ... Iīll let you know how all the MySQL stuff is setup and maybe you can give me some advice to keep it stable. (I hope itīs stable now... but I always appreciate another opinion...)

--Kyle

Logical
04-17-2001, 07:11 PM
Kyle,

Just a suggestion,

I would be willing to e-mail some portion of people who have signed up in the past to let them know the BB is back up and working well again. Perhaps others would be willing as well. If you have the ability to parse the list into segments of e-mail addresses send me some.

Believing that many people would come back if made aware of the board being back up and running.

Just a thought.

Mark M
04-17-2001, 08:16 PM
I've always loved Spanish women ... Italian, too.

I respect a woman who can grow a mustache faster than I can. ;)

MM
~~Believes that armpits are the least of Kyle's worries.