PDA

View Full Version : A school vacation poll

Rain Man
05-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Many schools now have a year-round schedule, with students getting time off at various points during the school year, as opposed to the traditional three-month long summer vacation.

As a past/current/future student, and as a parent/potential/hypothetical parent, which would/do/did you prefer?

Poll coming as soon as I come off my break.

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-22-2007, 10:51 PM
As a parent, I prefer the 3 month vacation. There's plenty of summer programs to keep him busy in his off time. There's not very many options in October.

ClevelandBronco
05-22-2007, 10:59 PM
As a student, three months was great. As a parent, I'd prefer the year-round schedule.

And if they timed everything right, we wouldn't need mules to pull the plows. Just a team of sons and daughters.

cdcox
05-22-2007, 11:00 PM
I voted 3 mos vacation on both. In reality, the summer vacation now a days is around 2.5 mos.

When I was growing up most of my best memories were during the summer. Every year we took a week-long family vacation at the Lake of the Ozarks. Swimming, fishing, boating and waterskiing. I also went to Boyscout camp for 10 days every summer. Not to mention a float trip or two each year. Those are summer time activities that would be very difficult to cram into a 3 week break from school.

Now, my work schedule only allows me to take vacations in late Dec to early January and again mid-May through mid-August. Any other time is completely off. So during two of my daughter's vacations would be during the businest time of my year.

Year around school, like all change, is evil.

Guru
05-22-2007, 11:03 PM
As a parent, the 3 month schedule is better. Daycare is less of an issue that way. Once the kids are old enough though, I would be for the 4 three week vacations.

Count Zarth
05-22-2007, 11:29 PM
I always liked my summer vacation. There was no other time of year to spend an extended time up in Missouri. It was also a great time to sneak down the alleyway during the day and check out my hot classmates through a hole in the fence, sunning themselves out by the pool. God bless you, Ashley Allen.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-22-2007, 11:37 PM
I always liked my summer vacation. There was no other time of year to spend an extended time up in Missouri. It was also a great time to sneak down the alleyway during the day and check out my hot classmates through a hole in the fence, sunning themselves out by the pool. God bless you, Ashley Allen.

Did they sunbathe topless with only tape over their nipples? Gawd that was my favorite. :drool: PBJ

88TG88
05-22-2007, 11:54 PM
I can't think straight in 100 degree weather. We should leave the vacation system as is.

ClevelandBronco
05-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Did they sunbathe topless with only tape over their nipples? Gawd that was my favorite. :drool: PBJ

You used to hang with Wendy O. Williams?

BucEyedPea
05-23-2007, 12:20 AM
I picked they should be working in the fields....like they did in the old, old, old days. I'm old fashioned.

boogblaster
05-23-2007, 06:26 AM
As a parent I like the tradional 3 month..It gives you time with your kids..face it they grow up way to fast..you blink and they're gone ...

Hound333
05-23-2007, 06:52 AM
I want to vote that I am a teacher and still get my vacation in the summer :)

StcChief
05-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Summer Work builds character.

During grade school year round with 3 week breaks thru the year keeps kids fresh for learning.

HS age 3 month summer with work involved.

Saulbadguy
05-23-2007, 07:20 AM
I think they should give a 3 month vacation in the Winter. November - January.

Rain Man
05-23-2007, 05:15 PM

Masking tape or scotch tape?

Sam Hall
05-23-2007, 05:47 PM
I still enjoy the three month break because it allows an extended period to get away from college. We get a few days off for fall break and spring break. It's really nice when I can get a Tuesday-Thursday schedule. The three month break also worked in high school because we had at least one day off each month.

Hydrae
05-23-2007, 05:56 PM
I was always bored by the last couple of weeks during the summer and looked forward to school starting again (at least until high school). I think I would have enjoyed an alternative schedule.

We were in Flagstaff when they started to experiment with the alternative schedule. The thing that totally sold me on the idea is what it does for kids learning curve. With that much time off in the middle of the year, the first 9 weeks of the next year are a review. If we want to see our kids getting a better education, this is an easy way to get it done.

Besides, you can go to Disney in October and not deal with the crowds or heat of summer!

Rain Man
05-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I still enjoy the three month break because it allows an extended period to get away from college. We get a few days off for fall break and spring break. It's really nice when I can get a Tuesday-Thursday schedule. The three month break also worked in high school because we had at least one day off each month.

I had one glorious semester in college where I was able to schedule all of my classes on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Four day weekends for 16 straight weeks.

On the poll, I actually voted for the year-round option in both cases, even though I have no experience with it. While a long, lazy summer would be nice, I could see a big advantage in having a relatively long, lazy break several times a year, even if they're shorter.

Hydrae
05-23-2007, 06:06 PM
What they did in Flagstaff was give them 6 weeks in the summer, 1 week in October, 3 weeks at Christmas and then 2 weeks for Spring Break. Still get a chunk in the summer while breaking up the rest of the year every couple of months.

bogie
05-23-2007, 06:31 PM
I really feel summer is for fun. If a kid has to spend his/her youth in school, I don't think they are abe to take full advantage of being a kid.