PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know S Jon McGraw...

Direckshun
05-23-2007, 01:48 AM
The Chiefs signed 5-year veteran safety Jon McGraw this offseason.

Safety's going to be a very important position for the Chiefs this year, as we're not only warming up two potential stars, but we're doing it at one of the most important positions in a Cover 2 defense.

We're asking our safeties to cover a lot of ground, so there's going to have to be a rotation -- no way Page & Pollard each cover half the field and remain in for those occasional 14 play drives. So our reserves are going to be important. We still have Greg Wesley, who's a known quantity.

But what about Jon McGraw?

He's got plenty of game day experience, and enjoyed a fairly productive season with the Lions last year at NCB and S.

I've searched high and low for something substantial about him. I learned he's from K State -- so maybe some of you guys have the dirt on him.

Full Name: Jon McGraw
Born: April 2, 1979
Manhattan, KS
Height: 6-3
Weight: 206 lbs.
Pos: S
Experience: 5 years
College: Kansas State
Drafted: Year:2002 Round:2 Pick:25, Jets

Clearly he was a Herm Edwards 2nd rounder, and Herm's track record with DBs is trustworthy.

What about specific skills? Here's what I got for positives:

* great size and speed
* loooooooves to hit people, is a monster over the middle
* covers lots of ground, closes in fast
* good tackler

Negatives.

* he's got Kawika syndrome with his aggressiveness -- he lets it get the best of him
* which is why he's got an injury history
* is sometimes caught off guard and out of position
* not a great man-to-man man

What do you know about him? Any K-Staters remember him?

luv
05-23-2007, 01:51 AM
* not a great man-to-man man

Henpicking again, so deal with it. Does he need to be great at man-to-man if Herm is focusing on a Cover 2 defense?

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 01:51 AM
A safety that plays out of postion? Why the Chiefs have never had one of those.

Direckshun
05-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Does he need to be great at man-to-man if Herm is focusing on a Cover 2 defense?
Not necessarily to play safety.

But we also brought him in for nickelback -- which is basically a third CB on the field in situations when the offense brings extra WRs out.

So it may hurt us there.

luv
05-23-2007, 02:23 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/mcgraw_jon.htm

CAREER NOTES
An accomplished violin player, McGraw began his career as a walk-on wide receiver The defensive team co-captain and team representative has a superb blend of size, speed and intelligence Respected team leader who has also excelled in the classroom, earning Academic All-America honors A person you'd want your daughter to marry off the field, he takes on an entirely aggressive persona on the gridiron Went on to start 19 games while appearing in 43 contests at free safety Recorded 184 tackles (138 solos) with three sacks and 16 stops for losses of 53 yards Deflected 17 passes and intercepted nine others during his career as a Wildcat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001 SEASON
Verizon Academic All-America, All-District VII and All-Big 12 Conference choice Added third-team All-Big 12 honors from the league's coaches and second-team recognition from the Kansas City Star Started seven of nine games at free safety Recorded 71 tackles (56 solos) with a 3-yard sack and five stops for losses of 15 yards Also had four quarterback pressures Intercepted four passes for 54 yards in returns and deflected four others Also caused a fumble.

Southern California -- Sacked quarterback Carson Palmer for a 3-yard loss and delivered seven tackles (six solos).

New Mexico State -- Followed with a stop behind the line of scrimmage.

Oklahoma -- Registered six solo tackles, taking down tailback Quentin Griffin for a 5-yard loss while registering a pair of pressures, a pass deflection and a 33-yard interception return.

Colorado -- Totaled 10 tackles (eight solos) as he picked off a Craig Ochs pass for a 22-yard return and deflected another.

Texas Tech -- Had another 10 hits (nine solos) with an interception and a pass breakup before leaving the game with a high-ankle sprain and leg contusion.

Texas A&M and Kansas -- Did not play (ankle).

Iowa State -- Returned to action, coming off the bench to make seven tackles (four solos) and deflect a pass.

Nebraska -- Credited with a career-high 18 tackles (13 solos) as he picked off an Eric Crouch pass, deflected another and caused a fumble as he stopped Crouch from attempting to run, for a 2-yard loss.

Missouri -- Made five hits (three solos) with a pressure that resulted in an interception and a pass deflection.

Syracuse (Insight.com Bowl) -- Closed out his career with a 6-yard interception return.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2000 SEASON
Verizon/CoSIDA Academic All-American, All-District VII, Academic All-Big 12 Conference and Bank of America Community Champion All-Big 12 Conference honorable mention Earned ABC Sports/Chevrolet Player of the Game honors vs. Texas A&M and Oklahoma Started 12 games at free safety Second on the team with a career-high 81 tackles (57 solos), including a pair of sacks and 10 stops for losses of 37 yards Intercepted three passes for 71 yards in returns and deflected 10 others Also had three quarterback pressures.

1999 SEASON
First-team Academic All-Big 12 Conference and Bank of America Community Champion honoree Reserve free safety, serving as the leader of the team's special-teams coverage units Recorded 21 tackles (18 solos) with a pressure, an interception and a pair of pass deflections in 10 games.

1998 SEASON
Academic All-Big 12 Conference choice Played in every game as a non-scholarship reserve free safety Recorded 11 tackles (seven solos) with an interception, a pass deflection and a forced fumble.

1997 SEASON
Redshirted as a walk-on freshman Performed on the scout team as a receiver.

AGILITY TESTS
4.5 in the 40-yard dash 2.63 in the 20-yard dash 1.54 in the 10-yard dash 3.92 in the 20-yard shuttle 6.51 in the three-cone drill 39.5-inch vertical jump 10 feet, 6 inches in the broad jump Bench presses 225 pounds 13 times 6.2 percent body fat 319-pound bench press 671 safe squat 324-pound hang clean 31-inch arm length 9-inch hands Right-handed.
HIGH SCHOOL
Four-year letter-winner and three-year starter in football at Riley County (Manhattan, Kan.) High Lettered four times in basketball and three times in track First-team All-League, second-team All-Area and honorable mention All-State as a junior in 1995 All-Class 3A, third-team All-State and 1996 All-Flint Hills Player of the Year by the Manhattan Mercury in 1996 Played in the 1997 Kansas Shrine Bowl First-team All-League, second-team All-Area and honorable mention All-State basketball selection in 1996 State weightlifting qualifier Led Riley County to an 11-1 mark in 1996 while rushing for 1,066 yards and throwing for another 710, accounting for 28 touchdowns and 13 PATs.
PERSONAL
Finance-Business major Earned Academic All-American honors three times Grandfather, William Daniels, played football at Kansas State (1928-30) Son of Joseph and Darlene McGraw Accomplished violin player Born April 2, 1979 Resides in Manhattan, Kan.

"A person you'd want your daughter to marry off the field'

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/65x90/5943.jpg

OKAY!!!

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 02:33 AM
[QUOTE=luv]http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/mcgraw_jon.htm

CAREER NOTES
An accomplished violin player, McGraw began his career as a walk-on wide receiver The defensive team co-captain and team representative has a superb blend of size, speed and intelligence Respected team leader who has also excelled in the classroom, earning Academic All-America honors A person you'd want your daughter to marry off the field,

QUOTE]So he is a musically gifted pedifile(sp?)?

luv
05-23-2007, 02:36 AM
So he is a musically gifted pedifile(sp?)?
I'm a daughter, and I'm pretty sure he'd get my dad's approval. :)

Reading the other information, sounds like he had a pretty good college career.

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 02:37 AM
I'm a daughter, and I'm pretty sure he'd get my dad's approval. :)

Reading the other information, sounds like he had a pretty good college career.So are you saying that you are interested?

luv
05-23-2007, 02:39 AM
So are you saying that you are interested?
Hardly. I don't even know him.

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 02:40 AM
Hardly. I don't even know him.You're too picky

luv
05-23-2007, 02:43 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5943

A total of 3 INT's in his pro career. Is that bad for a Safety?

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 02:45 AM

A total of 3 INT's in his pro career. Is that bad for a Safety?That is less than 1 int per year.:shake:

CoMoChief
05-23-2007, 02:46 AM
Hell I didn't know he was white. That sucks.

luv
05-23-2007, 02:46 AM
http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=33041

Another good page describing his career. And an even closer face shot. Just look at those eyes (sorry, I can't help myself).

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 03:12 AM
http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=33041

Another good page describing his career. And an even closer face shot. Just look at those eyes (sorry, I can't help myself).Sooooo, are you getting to know him?:hmmm:

Kerberos
05-23-2007, 07:39 AM
http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/65x90/5943.jpg

Hell I didn't know he was white. That sucks.He kinda has that YOUNG John Lynch look to him.

A total of 3 INT's in his pro career. Is that bad for a Safety?
Thats 3 more than Billy Bartee in his 7+ years with the chiefs. I know he was a CB but he came out of college as a safety.

StcChief
05-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Hell I didn't know he was white. That sucks.

I guess with an Irish name like McGraw could have been a clue :D

a clean living player off the field, might be a positive in the locker room too.....

Saulbadguy
05-23-2007, 08:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jxT5sVALw

Easy 6
05-23-2007, 11:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jxT5sVALw

That play fits the book on this guy, he definitely likes to mix it up & go for kill shots. If he's actually athletic enough to play nickel CB once in awhile, thats good versatility.

We'll have to wait & see what kind of O we're looking at, but its only a matter of time before Herm puts a really gnarly D together.

luv
05-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Out of Butler, Fair, McGraw, Page, Pollard, and Wesley, what are this guy's chances of seeing play time this season?

Direckshun
05-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Out of Butler, Fair, McGraw, Page, Pollard, and Wesley, what are this guy's chances of seeing play time this season?
Butler and Fair won't see the field.

P&P will be the starters, with Wesley being the main guy to sub in for them.

McGraw will sub in too, but less often.