PDA

View Full Version : Flying

luv
05-23-2007, 12:57 AM
I've never flown commercially before. Is there still a long list of items not allowed on a carry on bag? I know that I should take a pair of clothes with me (just in case I lose my luggage). I plan on taking a book and my mp3 player. What about snacks or beverages? A no-no?

Direckshun
05-23-2007, 12:57 AM
Beverages a no-no.

Snacks are only allowed if they're magically delicious.

Fruit Ninja
05-23-2007, 12:59 AM
KCXiv's rule. If i cant drive there, then i shouldnt be going there.

Direckshun
05-23-2007, 01:00 AM
So I take it you stay out of the paint.

[/basketball joke]

luv
05-23-2007, 01:00 AM
I'm all about the road trip. This is a trip for work. They're paying. I don't have much of a choice. I'm not afraid to fly. I'm actually looking forward to it. I just don't know what to expect during the check-in process, etc.

luv
05-23-2007, 01:01 AM

[/basketball joke]
I actually got that one!

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 01:02 AM
The airlines should have list for you on their web sites.

Maybe :shrug:

luv
05-23-2007, 01:03 AM
The airlines should have list for you on their web sites.

Maybe :shrug:
You're no fun.

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 01:05 AM
You're no fun.Sorry. Maybe this is better advice....

Take alcholic beverages(everclear) and matches with you.:p

luv
05-23-2007, 01:07 AM
Sorry. Maybe this is better advice....

Take alcholic beverages(everclear) and matches with you.:p
I'd look it up, but I'm not sure of the specifics yet. I know that I'm going sometime next week, but I don't know exactly when or which airline.

Fruit Ninja
05-23-2007, 01:07 AM

[/basketball joke] all my friends are drunks now. They wont run and play hoops. Though when we were younger, they used to play hoops on sunday at the park WHILE drinking. lol, now they are just to old.

Fruit Ninja
05-23-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm all about the road trip. This is a trip for work. They're paying. I don't have much of a choice. I'm not afraid to fly. I'm actually looking forward to it. I just don't know what to expect during the check-in process, etc.
I went on a trip with my mom to visit her sister in Denver and we had to fly, never again. lol I didnt want to get back on the plane, but i had no choice. Ever since then i am like F that.lol

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Once they're finished with the pre-flight body cavity search the rest of it's a breeze.

luv
05-23-2007, 01:13 AM
Once they're finished with the pre-flight body cavity search the rest of it's a breeze.
Cool. Sounds like fun!

Okay, that's just wrong.

Guru
05-23-2007, 01:14 AM
Cool. Sounds like fun!

Okay, that's just wrong.
:rolleyes: :shake:

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Cool. Sounds like fun!

Okay, that's just wrong.
And you said that you could get any here.:p

you're picky

SPchief
05-23-2007, 01:20 AM
Easiest thing is to check most of your bags. Don't bring any of your toiletries on your carry on, otherwise they have to be in a ziplock bag and less than 4 oz. Getting through security at MCI is a breeze. But when you are coming back, make sure to get there at least an hour and a half early.

Saggysack
05-23-2007, 01:22 AM
Toiletries and makeup, just think 3oz. or smaller and you are golden. Any sharp objects, like finger nail clippers and the such just put in checked and you will be good. On the bright side, you can bring your new drill! But it will have to be in checked baggage as well. Absolutely no gels of any kind, even in your shoes.

You can bring on beverages after you have passed thru security. Buy after passing through is always a good practice. Snacks 3oz or less.

Saggysack
05-23-2007, 01:23 AM
Easiest thing is to check most of your bags. Don't bring any of your toiletries on your carry on, otherwise they have to be in a ziplock bag and less than 4 oz. Getting through security at MCI is a breeze. But when you are coming back, make sure to get there at least an hour and a half early.

How many women you know that can't have some sort of makeup amongst their crap?

SPchief
05-23-2007, 01:25 AM

I don't travel with makeup, so the thought never really crossed my mind.

luv
05-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Compact powder, eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick. All will be in the luggage I check. I will probably wear some to work just to look nice. Otherwise, it's not worth the hassle to me.

Saggysack
05-23-2007, 01:33 AM
That's what my wife says too. :)

luv
05-23-2007, 01:34 AM
That's what my wife says too. :)
I'm sure the chick going with me will have more than enough make-up to loan me if I forget something.

Saggysack
05-23-2007, 01:38 AM
I'm sure the chick going with me will have more than enough make-up to loan me if I forget something.

Isn't using someone elses makeup a bad thing? I think I heard that from a woman or 2 in my lifetime.

acesn8s
05-23-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm sure the chick going with me will have more than enough make-up to loan me if I forget something.She'll be stuck in the inspection area with the security personel.

Saulbadguy
05-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Don't be one of those retards that brings a large carry on bag.

StcChief
05-23-2007, 06:57 AM
One word. Carry on. don't check luggage. Travel light.

Buehler445
05-23-2007, 07:12 AM
I always try to travel with just a carry on. Granted, you can't have a lot of toiletries, but it sure beats standing in line for 8,000 hours when they lose your stuff. If you have to check something be sure to take at least a change of clothes in your carry on.

Sit by the window. There is a good view for the first and last 2 minutes.

Saulbadguy
05-23-2007, 07:16 AM
I always try to travel with just a carry on. Granted, you can't have a lot of toiletries, but it sure beats standing in line for 8,000 hours when they lose your stuff. If you have to check something be sure to take at least a change of clothes in your carry on.

Sit by the window. There is a good view for the first and last 2 minutes.
Not checking your luggage is very rude and inconsiderate to your fellow travelers.

I'd love nothing more than to knock out the ****ing blow hard that has to fill up the overhead bin with his ridiculous amount of shit that he carries on just because he is too self-righteous to check his luggage.

StcChief
05-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Not checking your luggage is very rude and inconsiderate to your fellow travelers.

I'd love nothing more than to knock out the ****ing blow hard that has to fill up the overhead bin with his ridiculous amount of shit that he carries on just because he is too self-righteous to check his luggage.
Agreed..Carry on's must fit in the measuring box. why I travel light. Mix and match you'd be surprised what you can carry on for a week.

Oh and get a seat in row with THE EXIT DOOR. the row is 6 inches wider.

If you sit by that door, you must be big enough to throw the door off the plane incase of an emergency landing. You'll also be first off the plane if you survive. :D

Buehler445
05-23-2007, 07:26 AM

I only do it if I can fit my shit in one overhead bin, like you are supposed to. If not, then I have to check a bag like the rest of society. I'm a dude that can get by with not much, so I can fit it in one suitcase particularly if it is only for a weekend or something.

But whatever, knock me out if you wish.

Saulbadguy
05-23-2007, 07:28 AM
I only do it if I can fit my shit in one overhead bin, like you are supposed to. If not, then I have to check a bag like the rest of society. I'm a dude that can get by with not much, so I can fit it in one suitcase particularly if it is only for a weekend or something.

But whatever, knock me out if you wish.
Naw - it's all good. You know the people i'm talking about though.

Buehler445
05-23-2007, 07:30 AM

I think i do :banghead:

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-23-2007, 07:35 AM

They need to just get rid of those damn overhead bins, it's bullshit that everyone has to wait for those idiots to round up all of their crap before they can get off of the plane. You can carry a change of clothes and some basics in a bag small enough to fit on the floor under your seat. There's no reason anyone should have to carry on a friggin' suitcase with them.

Slick32
05-23-2007, 07:51 AM
If you carry-on shampoo and stuff like that there is a size restriction on those, plus they have to be in clear plastic bottles and in a zip lock type bag for security. No tools. Beverages cannot be taken through security but once past security you can buy a coke or pepsi and take them onto the plane.

Carry ons are limited, but many take more than what they should. It sounds like you are prepared for the trip.

Jacksonville Beach and Atlantic Beach are OK. There is plenty of beach to visit, take plenty of sun block. The worst burn I ever got was at Jax Beach.

There used to be a steak house in Jax, don't remember where, but it was called "The Tree Steakhouse". all they served was ribeye. They would bring out a 10 pound length of ribeye and you had them cut it as thick as you wanted it. You paid by the ounce. It was the best steak I have ever had.

Apparently it is still there:

http://www.gayot.com/restaurantpages/info.php?tag=JARES040724&code=JA

Give it a shot if you get the chance.

Donger
05-23-2007, 08:00 AM
www.tsa.gov

And, yell "Allahu Akhbar" when the plane is about to rotate. They think that is hilarious.

Pestilence
05-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Bomb da bomb bomb bomb.

Look I'm a bombadier!

Slick32
05-23-2007, 08:12 AM
www.tsa.gov

And, yell "Allahu Akhbar" when the plane is about to rotate. They think that is hilarious.

In days gone by you could get in trouble for recognizing anyone named Jack. Hi Jack! They loved that one too.

patteeu
05-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Like others have said, keep your bottles of liquid (e.g. cosmetics) under 3 oz. and in a clear plastic ziplock type bag. Put as much of your stuff as possible in your checked baggage. It wouldn't hurt to have an extra ziplock bag in your carry on bag in case they find something that needs to be bagged that you didn't think about.

Wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off because you will have to run them through the xray machines at the security check points. Minimize the amount of metal you wear and have in your pockets. Put your cell phone and your keys and any other metal objects in your purse before you get to the xray machines so you don't have to mess around with them separately.

Stewie
05-23-2007, 09:34 AM
If you're flying out of Springfluff you'll probably be on a regional jet that connects to a hub (Chicago, Atlanta, etc.). There's not nearly the storage, so you're limited in the size of the luggage you can carry on. At least carry on a change of clothes, keys, wallet/purse, and any meds you need.

Fly O.T. McWall
05-23-2007, 09:48 AM
whatever you do, do NOT greet any friend named Jack like this: HI, JACK!

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2007, 09:59 AM
You have never flown before? That's crazy.

luv
05-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Don't be one of those retards that brings a large carry on bag.
Oh, I'm not. I'm just bringing little things to keep me occupied...a book, mp3 player, and one change of clothes. I was thinking of snacks or something, but it's not like the flight will be that long.

Chiefnj
05-23-2007, 11:38 AM

The people who walk by you and laugh while you wander around the airport aimlessly looking for your checked in luggage that was lost and is now being urinated on by a homeless man in Newark, New Jersey?

KC Dan
05-23-2007, 11:44 AM

No, it's not! How so? The airlines provide overhead bins for passenger storage and limit carry-ons to a specific number and size. So, if I get your meaning correctly then people who follow the airlines carry-on luggage policies are "rude and inconsiderate"? That is a stupid comment. If someone brings carry-on's larger than the airline policy - then it is the airlines responsibility to police and they are rude and inconsiderate.

Btw, I have met you and don't see you as the big-badazz, knocking blow hards out.

Cochise
05-23-2007, 11:49 AM
www.tsa.gov

Only 23 posts before someone suggested that the internet is a great source of information LMAO

Cochise
05-23-2007, 11:50 AM
The people who walk by you and laugh while you wander around the airport aimlessly looking for your checked in luggage that was lost and is now being urinated on by a homeless man in Newark, New Jersey?

Hey, I'm not homeless.

Donger
05-23-2007, 11:50 AM

Checking baggage is stupid.

luv
05-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Checking baggage is stupid.
Eh. I just don't want to mess with much on the plane. Also just found out I'll be leaving Springfield on Tuesday and returning next Sunday. Might be kinda hard to fit 5 days worth of clothes and stuff into a carry on anyway.

Donger
05-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Eh. I just don't want to mess with much on the plane. Also just found out I'll be leaving Springfield on Tuesday and returning next Sunday. Might be kinda hard to fit 5 days worth of clothes and stuff into a carry on anyway.

Five days would be tough. I can do four days with my carry on. The last family vacation we took was ridiculous. The wife packed four checked bags, plus carry ons.

Saulbadguy
05-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I've never lost my luggage.

Saulbadguy
05-23-2007, 12:00 PM
No, it's not! How so? The airlines provide overhead bins for passenger storage and limit carry-ons to a specific number and size. So, if I get your meaning correctly then people who follow the airlines carry-on luggage policies are "rude and inconsiderate"? That is a stupid comment. If someone brings carry-on's larger than the airline policy - then it is the airlines responsibility to police and they are rude and inconsiderate.

Btw, I have met you and don't see you as the big-badazz, knocking blow hards out.
They don't police, that is the problem. They just let them bring their gigantic duffel bags full of junk on to the planes.

Cochise
05-23-2007, 12:02 PM
The last time I flew I was going to be gone 4 days, and I fit everything I needed in a carry-on bag that fit in the measuring cage. It's a medium to large sized duffel. Fits in the overhead just fine.

It's amazing the amount of crap people think they need just to get by.

luv
05-23-2007, 12:04 PM
The last time I flew I was going to be gone 4 days, and I fit everything I needed in a carry-on bag that fit in the measuring cage. It's a medium to large sized duffel. Fits in the overhead just fine.

It's amazing the amount of crap people think they need just to get by.
I actually don't use much. BUT I am having to take nicer clothes to work in (I'll be working in the medical records department of a hospital), and clothes to run around in.

Cochise
05-23-2007, 12:27 PM
I actually don't use much. BUT I am having to take nicer clothes to work in (I'll be working in the medical records department of a hospital), and clothes to run around in.

No, but seriously. Google works for this stuff. I searched for "What can I take on an airplane?" and the TSA was the very first result.

Saulbadguy
05-23-2007, 12:45 PM
No, but seriously. Google works for this stuff. I searched for "What can I take on an airplane?" and the TSA was the very first result.
:drool:

Cochise
05-23-2007, 12:59 PM
:drool:

I know, that's crazy talk.

luv
05-23-2007, 01:03 PM
C'mon. If I didn't start threads, you and Saul wouldn't be able to make fun of me. I do this for you guys.

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Five days would be tough. I can do four days with my carry on. The last family vacation we took was ridiculous. The wife packed four checked bags, plus carry ons.

If I can't carry it on I don't need it.

Donger
05-23-2007, 01:04 PM
If I can't carry it on I don't need it.

It was mostly stuff for the kids.

BIG_DADDY
How is it you have never flown before? You locked up or something?

BIG_DADDY
It was mostly stuff for the kids.

Maybe that will change for me now.

Donger
05-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Maybe that will change for me now.

Heh. Ya think?

luv
05-23-2007, 01:05 PM
How is it you have never flown before? You locked up or something?
I've driven everywhere. Just never went anywhere that required me getting there quickly.

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Heh. Ya think?
:)

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2007, 01:14 PM
I've driven everywhere. Just never went anywhere that required me getting there quickly.

So you have never been to any islands or Europe or anything. That has to seriously suck. You must be really young.

luv
05-23-2007, 01:19 PM
So you have never been to any islands or Europe or anything. That has to seriously suck. You must be really young.
30. Just poor and deprived. :)

Cochise
05-23-2007, 01:19 PM

The first time I flew was a couple of years ago, age 24-25. My folks never really had much money, so we didn't have a lot of family vacations. I didn't really do any traveling until I graduated from college.

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2007, 01:21 PM
30. Just poor and deprived. :)
where are you going miss P&D?

luv
05-23-2007, 01:23 PM
where are you going miss P&D?
Tallahassee for work.

Saulbadguy
05-23-2007, 01:25 PM
C'mon. If I didn't start threads, you and Saul wouldn't be able to make fun of me. I do this for you guys.
At least you've caught on.

Just remember we are laughing at you, not with you.

luv
05-23-2007, 01:25 PM

Understood.

Donger
05-23-2007, 01:31 PM

I suddenly find myself longing for chiefs4me. What happened to it, anyway?

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2007, 01:31 PM
The first time I flew was a couple of years ago, age 24-25. My folks never really had much money, so we didn't have a lot of family vacations. I didn't really do any traveling until I graduated from college.

We never flew for any family vacations when I was young. When I got older though there was always something going on. This year there will at least be Hawaii. LA always a couple times a year. Some times San Diego. Vegas at least once a year. Seems like you have to get on a plane at least 5 times a year even if you job doesn't require it.

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Tallahassee for work.

You need to take a vacation to some place really tropical, seriously.

Pushead2
05-23-2007, 01:41 PM
See if you can wear the same clothes and underwear for a week, get creative.... :)

luv
05-23-2007, 01:42 PM
You need to take a vacation to some place really tropical, seriously.
I'd absolutely love to. You paying?

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2007, 01:44 PM
I'd absolutely love to. You paying?

Thought you had a job.

luv
05-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Thought you had a job.
I got my car paid off, so now I'm buying gadgets. Bought my new washer and dryer. Next is a laptop. Hoping to maybe find one before my trip. Then I'll start saving for a vacation this summer.

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2007, 01:56 PM
I got my car paid off, so now I'm buying gadgets. Bought my new washer and dryer. Next is a laptop. Hoping to maybe find one before my trip. Then I'll start saving for a vacation this summer.

It's important to get out of the box and see different parts of the world and their cultures. Next couple years will be tough for me but after that I am going to travel a lot more. I want to start looking for property in South America and look forward to spending some time down there. I would like to see more of Europe as well.

Saulbadguy
05-23-2007, 02:15 PM
I suddenly find myself longing for chiefs4me. What happened to it, anyway?
I'd take 5 chiefs4me compare to 1 "luv". At least she was entertaining with her constant babbling.

But i'd really like to see TomCash make an appearance again.

Cochise
05-23-2007, 02:27 PM
I'd take 5 chiefs4me compare to 1 "luv". At least she was entertaining with her constant babbling.

If chiefs4me started threads asking for help on every mundane aspect of life such as packing for a vacation then I would agree with you. C4me just contaminated other threads and argued with people, and was morbidly amusing in small doses.

Saulbadguy
05-23-2007, 02:36 PM
If chiefs4me started threads asking for help on every mundane aspect of life such as packing for a vacation then I would agree with you. C4me just contaminated other threads and argued with people, and was morbidly amusing in small doses.
I just remember when Donger called chiefs4me a vacuous whore. That was hilarious.

Donger
05-23-2007, 02:38 PM
You guys are mean.

JohninGpt
05-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Don't take nuts or pretzel, those are free on the plane.

luv
05-23-2007, 03:30 PM

Yet you reply. I do miss your constant neg repping of every single one.